Boxed my Panasonic VCD player up today - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did a little bit of cleaning today and I finally boxed this fine piece of equipment back into the box.

It is now obsolete (since it won't ever play DVDs, it can only play VCDs and be a very expensive CD player). I paid $380 Canadian for this almost 11 years ago and it was worth every penny. I watched hundreds of fan subbed anime on the TV with it by converting/burning MPEGs onto CDs. It uses a C-Cube decoder chip which made well encoded videos look amazing (I have a feeling it upscaled)! I have legit Pioneer Hong Kong releases of Serial Experiments Lain and it was the next best thing to the LD release till the DVDs came out a couple of years later! Much better than even VHS despite the fact that VCD is supposed to be "VHS resolution"!

It has served me good, but now it is time to retire it into my "museum" collection. It still had the original AAA batteries loaded in the remote! Last time I even used it, was at least 5 years ago and was working. But instead of throwing these dead batteries away, I will keep them for completeness sakes.

I have no idea which intended market it is for. I bought it at Pacific Mall in Toronto (a huge Asian shopping mall) so more than likely it is a Chinese market gray import. The wallwart accepts only 220 volts and has two straight prongs which is used in China and Thailand (both countries uses 220 volts). I've seen pics of the players people in the Philippines and Singapore are selling used (from a Google image search) that uses the euro style plug. This baby even came with special NiCD batteries which could be charged directly from the player when not in use, enhancing its portability value. The batteries are unique because the sides of the negative ends are not wrapped in the plastic and are exposed metal so that a contact in the battery bay can "detect" NiCD batteries are installed.

Anyway, all I can say is, this doesn't look like it's FCC approved

There's a "GK" market code on the serial number sticker. it is also printed on the manual (which shows "GK, GH, GCS, SG" on the bottom corner of the cover). Anyone know what it means? Interestingly, the manual is in English, Spanish, and Chinese. The only Asian country that has any significant Spanish speakers I can think of is the Philippines, but why leave Thai and Malay out? There's also mounting holes for a dock, like other Panasonic CD players of that era. The manual makes no mention of this, but it is obvious with the big rectangular holes at the bottom and a screw hole on the hinged side (you can barely see this below the right corner of the battery cover).

Yup, just as the box says, it does do Karaoke due to the presence of the mic jack

and no, it's not for sale
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page