24-Bit iTunes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought that this will interest people. iTunes will soon be selling 24-bit music. Here is a snippet from the LA Examiner...

"CNN reports that Apple may start selling 24 bit versions of songs soon in the iTunes store. That may not seem important to most but this is a great thing for music enthusiasts and people who just love good sounding music.

Professional music producers generally capture studio recordings in a 24-bit, high-fidelity audio format. Before the originals, or masters in industry parlance, are pressed onto CDs or distributed to digital sellers like Apple's iTunes, they're downgraded to 16-bit files. From there, the audio can be compressed further in order to minimize the time the music will take to download or to allow it to be streamed on-the-fly over the internet.

Basically what you hear is a compression of a compressed song.

Many devices can already play back 24-bit audio so we are all at the mercy of the record labels.

Let's hope Apple follows through with this seeing as they are the leaders of digital music distribution."

I haven't posted enough times to supply a link but if you do a google search "24-bit iTunes" you should get some results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Mostly for the classical crowd I say. Youngsters into hip-hop don't care.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Mostly for the classical crowd I say. Youngsters into hip-hop don't care.

You are correct, they don't.
However, these are the people who are pushing it:

Yes, the people pushing this are the people behind Monster's Beats headphones. Which, knowing Monster, means charging more for something the general public doesn't need, but will buy anyway because it's "better".
post #4 of 17 Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Liked: 10
isn't that SACD quality?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Have there been any updates on this? I bet you it will not happen.

1. Apple needs a device capable of outputting these files at full resolution. Current iPods I believe will only do a max of 24/48 ALAC through the dock connector. They would also need a device with more storage. 64gb isn't going to cut it with 24 bit files. Even 160 isn't that much with these files.

2. Most people won't be able to tell the difference. Most can't tell the difference between full CD quality and 256 AAC, much less 24-bit. What guarantee do we have that these files will be treated with proper mastering (like the way vinyl is)?

3. Will I have to repurchase all my music at higher resolution, or will iTunes let me upgrade through iTunes Match?

It sounds like they simply announced this around the time Pono's Kickstarter campaign started. I haven't heard anything about it since then. I'm sure that for the price they're selling these downloads at, I can go buy a record, do a needledrop and have it sound better.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 View Post

isn't that SACD quality?

Isn't SACD 1-bit DSD at 2.82MHz?
post #7 of 17 Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM

BUMP.

I am hearing that the songs will be 24/48, but if better attention is paid to mastering, it will be worth it. Will also be nice if it's a la carte rather than having to buy the whole album.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

Have there been any updates on this? I bet you it will not happen.

1. Apple needs a device capable of outputting these files at full resolution. Current iPods I believe will only do a max of 24/48 ALAC through the dock connector. They would also need a device with more storage. 64gb isn't going to cut it with 24 bit files. Even 160 isn't that much with these files.

2. Most people won't be able to tell the difference. Most can't tell the difference between full CD quality and 256 AAC, much less 24-bit. What guarantee do we have that these files will be treated with proper mastering (like the way vinyl is)?

3. Will I have to repurchase all my music at higher resolution, or will iTunes let me upgrade through iTunes Match?

It sounds like they simply announced this around the time Pono's Kickstarter campaign started. I haven't heard anything about it since then. I'm sure that for the price they're selling these downloads at, I can go buy a record, do a needle drop and have it sound better.

There is no guarantee that the vinyl will get special treatment in this day and time as more than a few were disappointed with some of the new releases.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM

I think they're just blowing smoke. No announcement of it at the WWDC. I don't think it will happen.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 03:22 AM

No 24-bit files in iTunes. It was a load of BS the entire time.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

People expecting everything at a WWDC are new to this as it usually addresses OS's in the Keynotes and in depth looks at the booths.
Apple releases new iTunes,iPhoto,Garage Band and iWork upgrades at different times of the year.
As for new products most of the time they are waiting on new chips which are not out yet which explains why certain models did not receive a refresh and then they are known for quietly updating things without having an event.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I would likely stop ordering CD's and move to Itunes downloads if we can get DRM free 24 bit music downloads, lossless format obviously. Especially with the new multiple people that can share in the "family sharing" plan.

Blazar!
post #13 of 17 Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I would likely stop ordering CD's and move to Itunes downloads if we can get DRM free 24 bit music downloads, lossless format obviously. Especially with the new multiple people that can share in the "family sharing" plan.

Same here, but only if it is priced fairly. If they are charging $18 per album like HDTracks, count me out, I'll keep buying CD's which are usually around 1/2 the price.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-08-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Same here, but only if it is priced fairly. If they are charging $18 per album like HDTracks, count me out, I'll keep buying CD's which are usually around 1/2 the price.

Yeah great point but I don't often want the whole album anyway. So in some cases if i just want a couple of songs, the single track price of ~$1.50 may still be good.

Blazar!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 AM

I'm just mad that it was all a hoax. But Apple needs to at least start offering CD-quality lossless downloads. Ever better, Amazon should offer this for their AutoRip program. Peoples' internet connections are fast enough and 16/44.1 FLAC doesn't take up that much space.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just mad that it was all a hoax. But Apple needs to at least start offering CD-quality lossless downloads. Ever better, Amazon should offer this for their AutoRip program. Peoples' internet connections are fast enough and 16/44.1 FLAC doesn't take up that much space.

What makes you think it was a hoax and that they might offer this later?
post #17 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM

They need to at least move up to CD-quality. This isn't the days of 56k dial-up anymore.
Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page