Recommend Best MP3 non-Apple non-ZUNE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I've tried an IPOD and I've tried a ZUNE HD .. both are nice, however, I've decided I really want a drag and drop interface .. ideal unit would be:

1) Drag and Drop within Windows
2) Web Capable
3) at least 32 GIG
4) A few games / not that big a deal ..

I've had a few friends recommend a smart phone with no cell service ..

Help a brother out .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want web access, then there are a few non-phone android based media players available.

Archos makes them with from 2.8" to 10.1" screens. My favorite is the Archos 43it. Easy hack to add google apps and android market.

Cowon makes their D3, now running android 2.3 (Gingerbread). Not so easily hacked for Google, but does easily run the amazon appstore app.

Creative has two models. One with GPS and an FM radio, and one without for a little less money. Their Zen Touch-2s.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392316,00.asp

Sony and Samsung showed two android-based, Wi-Fi only media devices at IFA. Strangely, there is no camera on the Walkman prototype.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
http://news.cnet.com/sony-officially...0105214-1.html

The android Walkman is official. No camera... big mistake imo.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 AM

Both of these support drag and drop, as well as native FLAC files. I recently purchased the Clip+ for personal use, as the soon-to-be Galaxy Nexus smartphone will be used for all web-related activities (or games, if I so chose). Both of these players are well-regarded in hifi communities.

8GB / 16GB / 32GB flavors of the Cowon s9.
Plays video/pictures and music. I believe the 16/32GB versions have a MicroSD port. I didn't look at the 8GB model.
Code:
www.trustedreviews.com/Cowon-iAudio-S9_Portable-Audio_review
Code:
http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/12/cowon-iaudio-s9-review/
This one surprises many, is quite popular, and has a bit of a following: The Sansa Clip+. Plays audio only. 2GB / 4GB / 10GB (plus a microSD port.)
Recommend you try out the rockbox dual-boot option (corrects small pitch error at 1k Hz).
Most other reviews can be ignored in favor of this one:
Code:
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html
Edit: Unable to post links in first three posts worked around.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Given that the OP wanted Web Capable and Games, the Clip and S9 get ruled out. Samsung's Galaxy 4.0 and 5.0 wifi-only device are now available, and both are well designed, come with the android market and google apps, and when found on sale are far better than the iPod Touch IMO.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Liked: 12
I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy 4.0 it will meet your requirements and than some. There is also the 5.0 but I found it a bit too large for my liking. Good Luck
post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
OK,
I'm old-school, but I still use a Creative Zen V+. If I wanted stand-alone mp3 I'd look at the Creative Zen X-Fi or Touch lines today.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM

sansa players believe it or not are really good SQ wise. so are cowons.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Buy a phone. I have a Sony Erricsson Xperia mini pro, which is now my daily mp3 player. used to use a sansa clip, but if you are carrying a phone anyway, why have two devices. You can get prepaid voice service from AT&T for $25 every 3 months, and use wifi for surfing the net. The mp3 player sound quality is great, and since the phone is android, the touch screen is much easier to navigate that the sansa. To load music, you can set it to MSC mode, then it looks like a hard drive when you plug it into a computer, and just drag and drop. The phone cost me $260 on amazon, brand new, unlocked and no contract.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM

I'm currently looking at mp3 players since my old iriver spin is dying...the battery doesn't hold much charge anymore.

I'm really interested in the samsung galaxy 4, I think the 5 is a little too unwieldy especially in your pocket. I was going to go with the ipod touch but I hate apple in general. Stupid proprietary plugs, no way to change the battery, no external memory????? WTF. The last point just kills it for me. I can spend 300 to get the 32 gig ipod touch or I can spend 175 on the samsung galaxy 4 and then 30 bucks on a 32GB micro SD to get 40 GB. I could buy another 3 cards to equal the price of the ipod touch and have 136GB of memory at the same price. Screw you apple!!!! With the Eye-C app you can even get an android player to use Airplay which is pretty much the only reason I was so gung-ho on the ipod in the first place.

post #12 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

... I'm really interested in the samsung galaxy 4, I think the 5 is a little too unwieldy especially in your pocket. ...

You might want to skim some of the threads here there's some sharp Samsung Galaxy Player users and lots of info you can read up on. I also like non apple players but don't have a need for PMP's so I stick with DAP's although 2 of mine do play videos, I rarely use the feature. These days on short outings I find myself grabbing my Clip Zip (8GB with 32GB microSD) running rockbox and I'm fine
post #13 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

You might want to skim some of the threads here there's some sharp Samsung Galaxy Player users and lots of info you can read up on. I also like non apple players but don't have a need for PMP's so I stick with DAP's although 2 of mine do play videos, I rarely use the feature. These days on short outings I find myself grabbing my Clip Zip (8GB with 32GB microSD) running rockbox and I'm fine

Thanks for the link. I'm pretty sold on this galaxy player 4.0. I want to get a sling box as well so I can watch tv and my tivo recorded shows when i'm spending late nights at the lab. The ability to add memory and also change the battery out should make this player last me a good long time.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM

You can drag and drop with an iPod? Turn syncing off then Drag and Drop? Sony and Sansa are good. Sony has line out function
post #15 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Recommend 2012 Sony E Series!

If you live outside the US or Korea stay away from Cowon! I bought the new Cowon C2 in Canada and it had a bad battery. It cost me $33.00 to ship it back to Cowon in the US and when they shipped me the replacement it had a defective volume control. The second time Cowon agreed to pay the shipping but Fedex would not accept the RMA label that Cowon sent me even though Cowon uses Fedex for their RMA's. Still trying to ge this resolved after two months. Cowon customer service is a joke!! and you will have to pay to ship your unit to Cowon in the US if it is defective. They only agreed to pay the second time because I made a huge stink about it. mad.gif NCIX is now the only supplier in Canada as Canada Computers stopped carrying their units.

I had theirr D2 model for 5 years and loved it until it died but the build quality and reliability of their newer units is terrible, just check out all of the posts on the internet. They also make really dumb design choices like putting lower quality touch screens on their new units with much lower resolutions than other manufacturers.

Out of frustration with Cowon and needing a working player I recently bought the new 2012 Sony E Series Walkman 16GB model. For the first time I found a player that rivals the Cowons for sound quality. It took a few days of warming up to get the best sound but this unit will sound sweet after it is broken in. Not only is the sound just as good as the Cowon C2 but it has a better screen, better interface and much better battery life. It is also $30.00 cheaper for the same memory size though it is not expandable. With my Koss PortaPro headphones the sound is awesome and the bass coming out of my headphones is fantastic. I also looked at the new Android unit Sony has and though it does not have a camera if sound quality matters at all to you then buy the Sony over the iPhone or Samsung units. Apple and Samsung may offer slightly better features but I prefer sound over features as I a rarely use all the extras on these devices anyway and they tend to eat up the battery life. smile.gif

The biggest thing for me is being able to take the unit to a Sony store in Canada if there is a problem and not having to deal with the pain of shipping to the US.
Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page