Bluetooth dongle w/ 3.5 mm TRS to stream music to headphones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to stream music from my phone to the audio tuneups (basically headphones) in my ski helmet. The tuneups have a 3.5 mm female jack. I was wondering if a product existed that's Bluetooth compatible and would stream music *out* a male 3.5 mm jack that I could then plug into my helmet.

Couple things...

I'm trying to avoid directly connecting my phone and helmet. I've had problems on an old phone where the connection gets knocked around in my pocket (and skiing can get bumpy) and it ends up breaking the entire audio jack on my phone. That causes the sound to drop out of one ear (permanently) if I don't hold the cord just right.

Second, there are Bluetooth audio tuneups that would make this alot easier to do directly. Unfortunately they cost $200 bills, and I'd need to get a new helmet for another $130 or so... So I'm hoping to avoid that...

Any ideas?

edit: I've found a couple products:
Chatterbox CBBTD Universal 3.5mm Bluetooth Adapter
Scosche Industries IUBTTR tuneSTREAM Universal Bluetooth Transmitter

But do those only work for streaming out from a phone (that it's plugged into)? I don't know if they could work in reverse and receive a Bluetooth stream?

and edit #2:
Writing my first edit, helped me alot, the keyword I needed to Google was "receiver"...Googling "3.5mm Bluetooth receiver" got me what I was looking for...
Belkin F8Z492-P Bluetooth Music Receiver
Miccus BluBridge Mini-Jack RX: Bluetooth Music Receiver

Thanks for helping me work through it haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I have one made by Logitech. The sound quality is awesome - better than a headphone extension cable from my iPhone. I did not compare it to a dock with speakers.

Bad news for your application is that it is rather bulky and uses a power adaptor for electricity. You would have to rig up a battery system for it. I believe it is larger than the ones you listed; and I remember reading about one that is both small and battery operated.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply

Yeah, I ended up going with this one: Miccus BluBridge Mini-Jack RX: Bluetooth Music Receiver

It's dimensions are tiny: 1.9 x 0.4 x 0.8 inches ; 0.6 ounces. And supposedly it lasts 6-8 hours on battery. Not the greatest but should get me by almost, if not an entire, day of skiing.

I'm kind of excited to get it, I think it's going to work out pretty nice in my jacket pocket, and be alot easier to take out my phone being wireless now.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
kbp

You might also want to look at the Sony MW600. It is a bluetooth headphone device, but the the ear buds are attached via standard mini jack, so the reciever can be hooked to other devices or other earphones. It is very small, great battery life, with usb micro charge port, and has built in FM radio. Sound quality and sound level is good.

Might search it. Lots of reviews on Amazon.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

thanks kbp, i like part about the fm radio. If this one doesn't work out I'll definitely check that out
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 AM

I 'm using MW600 and dont recommend it if you want hi-quality sound because it's DAC is not quite good. I feel lost treble.
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page