have 3.5 mm aux jack in car, what to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well my cd player in the back of my mb sl 500 has died. it ejects, but i get the no disc message on the command unit. i see ebay has a guy that repairs them for $130. i also saw the mp3 player that hooks up and can take 2 sd cards.
being lucky that it's a 2003 i also have the 3.5 mm aux jack in the glove box that i guess i could do something with. i was thinking about getting a cable or a bluetooth unit that hooks up to the aux jack for an mp3 player or ipod.
i sort of lost touch with the new music formats. back in the stoned age i had 8-tracks, cassettes and ripped some cd's. i have an extensive cd collection (even had my dogs members of bmg) and don't want spend a ton on itunes or other new formats.
not sure if i need a windows based mp3 player or an apple product.
wife's got an i phone, but i've got the work galaxy andriod. noyt sure if i should use the phone or a stand alone music device. i really on want it to store music on, don't need radio or pictures.
anybody offer any help or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM

If you want to build a digital archive of your music CD's I would suggest to rip to FLAC if you have the space, if you don't external storage is cheap enough to go that route so you only have to do it once. Once you've done that, converting to MP3 or any other format on the fly is easy, quick and all mp3 players will play mp3 format if you go that route, even apple.

Everyone's different and while you may be able to tell the difference on various formats on a good home system for portability I would do a test to see/hear what you could live with so you can carry more files. I would suggest to start out 192VBR rip conversions and higher to see if you can live with that or need a higher bit rate on your conversions. Just make sure that you volume match your tests so that you get good result for your taste or you could easily do ABX with foobar and the ABX comparator plug-in (free software).

Today there is lot of great ripping software free and IMHO most blow itunes away. They are easy to learn and don't contain all the bloatware of itunes, to mention a few look here. For ripping to FLAC I recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy), read my post here, then I do what I state in this post. Hope this helps.

BTW cable connection via the 3.5mm jack is hard to beat for sound quality, rare to ever hear of interference like wireless can pick up. Also can you provide me the link to the mp3 player that you state holds two cards as I've not seen that on anything other than video recorders, thanks in advance my question from your quote ---> i also saw the mp3 player that hooks up and can take 2 sd cards.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

Also can you provide me the link to the mp3 player that you state holds two cards as I’ve not seen that on anything other than video recorders, thanks in advance … my question from your quote ---> “i also saw the mp3 player that hooks up and can take 2 sd cards.”

http://www.mercedes-player.com/epage...bjectID=336373

more info here...
http://www.mercedes-player.com/epage...p3%20Player%22

Upto 4 memory flash cards - and always lots of music with you.

Use the advantage and reuse the memory flash cards of your Handy, PDA, mp3-Player und Digitalkamera in the Mercedes Player
post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM

mtbmtb01, Thanks for the link - interesting product for sure. Most likely it is not made by merdedes, I'm not sure but I think it's made by Yatour in Guangdong China, see here. I've been saying for a long time (you wouldn't know as you don't know me) that a multi-port portable player would be nice, in this case it's not portable but nice to see all the same. Although I don't know if it's worth the $299.00 price tag (but much cheaper via Alibaba.com in quantity) with a limit of 16GB on the SD cards, especially now that the SDXC standard is out and much larger sizes are available. Also a DIY built car pc can handle more formats and may very well run in the same price range if you keep it simple. For now I just plug in one of my numerous players and I'm set but I would certainly like to see more options like this down the road
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

ok so i bought this:
Sony Bluetooth Video MP3 Player – (NWZ-S764)
$79 for a Sony 8GB S Series Walkman Video MP3 Player with Bluetooth Wireless Headphones in Black
instead of a uesd ipod touch i was thinking about.
anybody want to help setting it up?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmtb01 View Post

... anybody want to help setting it up?

All the information you need is here ---> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=3#/manualsTab
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page