iPod dock w digital audio, component video, and a GUI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in another sub forum but thought it would be more appropriate here:

Been looking all weekend for a dock w digital audio out, HD video out (component or HDMI), and a GUI that would display menu and track data on a TV. Here is what I have found so far:

1) Universal Remote Control PSX2: This looked really promising until I read that my iPod version would require disabling the metadata for display.

2) Cambridge Audio ID100: Has everything but the GUI. Since I can't get the GUI on the PSX2 either, this is my best choice so far since it is less money.

3) AppleTV: I have hesitated looking into this since I have a family of Windows 7 PCs and don't want to go the MAC route. Feature wise this looks great, but I can't find many details on video quality, or the reliability with windows 7.

One last question: if I go the digital route, I am assuming that an optical or coax digital input on my AVR will decode the audio signal. Is this a correct assumption or is there a new format that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM

I came here looking for similar info - I have an iPod Video 5.5.

I am considering the PURE i-20 - I don't think it displays any track info though, but for $99 I figure it will suffice for me - mainly I want to be able to queue up a long, shuffled playlist and go about my business.

It has the digital out - and yes, streams the unprocessed data directly via coax or TOSLINK to your processor - and both HDMI and component out.

Since it's just sending the raw data, I don't believe there's anything to be gained by buying one of the far more-expensive devices.

- Mark
post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Mark. $99 would be hard to pass up for digital audio and HD video!
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page