Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which one of these recording options will produce the best sound quality:
LPCM 44.1 kHz/16bit: stereo
MP3 44.1 kHz/192kbps: stereo
MP3 44.1 kHz/256kbps: stereo

Obviously, 256 is better than 192. But I don't really know much about LPCM. I know it's supposed to be uncompressed and lossless. But I'm not sure that the above LPCM option is better than the other two.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how I might determine whether MP3 players under $100 typically record in stereo or mono (through the built-in mic)? I'm looking at a few models and the instructions and spec sheet don't say anything about stereo or mono.

Oh, and is there a way to determine if a recorder blocks out ambient sound? I don't want one that has that feature, unless I can turn it off.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

It looks to me as though the LPCM option is better. But, is there that much noticeable difference between LPCM 44.1 kHz/16bit and MP3 44.1 kHz/192kbps? This would be for recording live music (with permission).
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

LPCM is the digital standard used on CDs. Best quality, but uses a lot of storage. mp3 is a compressed format so it uses less storage but the less quality. Use LPCM if you need best quality, and especially if you need to edit the recordings, mp3 cannot be edited. Use mp3 if you need recordings that do not take up much storage. 192k is more than adequate for voice. 256k is about minimum for good quality music, 320k is much better. You can always encode LPCM into mp3 after recording using LAME.
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page