iPhone / iPod Cable - Long Distance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was looking for a recommendation for a long cable, around 50', to connect an iPod / iPhone to the front USB port of an Onkyo receiver. I have all of my equipment in a closet off of the media room, so I installed a bank of input jacks at the back of the media room so I can connect devices to the receiver without having to have the closet door propped open (such as for an iPod for music, laptop for slide presentations, USB drive for photo presentations, etc.) The run back to the closet is around 40'. I am including pics below to give an idea of what I am doing.

The port on the Onkyo works as designed when using the standard iPhone cable which is around 3' long.

I bought a 50' USB extender cable from Monoprice, which works just fine with other devices such as the PS3 Eye. It just doesn't work with the iPhone. That is an active cable and I am guessing that the active electronics are not compatible with the iPhone.

The Onkyo "sees" the iPhone and tries to read the files on it. It also does power (charge) the iPhone. It just sort of hangs the receiver which won't play the music on the iPhone when using that cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=7532&seq=1&format=2

Note: I am not sure if the cable above is the EXACT same one as the one I bought, as I can not recall if the one I got was "Kinect & PS3 Move Compatible". But it looks exactly like this. Maybe it is something in the cables's electronics that makes it compatible with the Kinect or PS3 but that also interferes with the iPhone?

Has anyone had any luck with this particular cable, i.e.- maybe I just got a bad one? Or have you had better luck with a different brand of extender cable?

Monoprice also shows an extender that works over Cat5e or Cat6:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

I would appreciate any thoughts on cabling this.

input_jacks_1.jpg

input_jacks_2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

In case it may make a difference, I have an iPhone 4GS.

(Mods - if it would make more sense to move this thread to a section that deals with cabling such as the subforums related to builds, please do so. However, the cables works with other devices just not the iPhone so it seemed to fit here better.)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I contacted Monoprice, who said that this cable won't work for an iPhone or iPod. They said that anything beyond a simple device won't work past 15' even with an active extender. It sounds like Kinext and PS3 Eye devices are simple enough so they will work with the cable (as the description says).

My guess is that the communications are synchronous and the distance messes that up.

I guess I can always just put the music on a cheap USB drive and play it from there on the receiver.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Hello,

I was searching for a similar product and came across your thread and thought this might help.

I was looking for a product to connect my iphone to my receiver wirelessly to stream music to speakers in my bathroom (connected to my receiver). I found the "auris" by touchkraft (links below). It is a bluetooth device that can connect to your Onkyo receiver with the 3.5mm and USB cables provided. You can then connect your iphone 4GS to your receiver wirelessly and simply use your iphone in your media room without the need for a cable. Not sure if this would work for you but I thought I might point it out. I just found this product and haven't ordered it yet so I have no review of it yet.

I should point out that it says you have to be within 33 feet on the dongle so keep that in mind (I know you mentioned 40 feet above). Hope this helps.

http://touchkraft.myshopify.com/ (to buy)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/428223606/auris-bluetooth-for-your-dock (info)
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page