Need some advice on ripping CD and DVD collection to a hard drive for streaming on Android and Apple. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, I'd like to rip my CD and DVD collection onto a hard drive or two so they can be played on an iPad and/or Kindle wirelessly (ie, Seagate's Wireless Plus http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/ ). I've got about 400 CD's making about less than 300 GB uncompressed and about 200 DVD's which would probably be a bit over 1TB uncompressed. I'm looking for which format would be best that could be played between Android AND Apple products as well as lossless audio on the CD's and the best quality on the DVD's. So, those with experience in this area. What are the best software products to do this and what configuration is the best settings to get the best results? I've got a pretty good Computer set-up so time isn't much of a factor as I can be patient to get the best quality with multiple passes if necessary when ripping. With the movies I'd like to keep the original format screen size of 480p if possible. I see that MP4 / H.264 with aac audio seems to be the most common format? Is there different software configs. if I use that format? Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

For CDs, I've been very happy using http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ with Lame. I do both MP3 and FLAC depending on what I will be playing on.

For video, it seem like you pretty much have to buy software to crack the encryption. Even with bought software, it's not as good an experience as CD and the results are less than satisfying. So I basically don't buy DVD/Blu-ray. If there are good open-source option/s that give good results like for CD, I'd like to learn about these as well.

Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page