The LG V20 first phone with a ESS Technology 32 bit Quad DAC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 849
The LG V20 first phone with a ESS Technology 32 bit Quad DAC

The LG V20 not only will be the first phone to run Android 7.0, but news from Seoul tells us it will also be the first smartphone to feature a Quad DAC.
While the actual model isn't yet revealed, we do know LG is once again partnering with ESS to bring premium audio to the V20. ESS also provided the excellent 32bit DAC in the V10, which received pretty rave reviews for its audio performance.

Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. — Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company.

LG says that they know users are now looking for more than a fast processor and a big display when they buy a high-end phone, and they aim to provide it with the V20. We'll know more — and hopefully get to put our hands on a V20 — on September 6 when LG unveils the whole package in San Francisco. In the meantime, we can read the press releases. This one is below.

LG V20, WORLD'S FIRST SMARTPHONE WITH QUAD DAC FOR BEST IN CLASS AUDIO
LG and ESS Technology Collaborate to Deliver One-of-a-Kind Audio Experience

SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2016
― LG Electronics (LG) announced that its forthcoming flagship smartphone, LG V20, will be the first smartphone in the industry to feature 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) capabilities, bringing a superior audio experience to mobile for the very first time.
A Quad DAC delivers a crisp and clear sound that comes closest to a live performance when using compatible wired headphones. The sound is superior to that produced by a traditional DAC as it can reduce up to 50 percent of ambient noise levels. Videos taken with the V20 are accompanied by a soundtrack that can capture the roaring sound of waves crashing on a beach or conversations among two individuals at a noisy party.

LG worked closely with ESS Technology, a leader in high-performance analog and audio devices, to ensure that the Quad DAC, delivered the best audio experience for owners of the LG V20. The Quad DAC is the lynchpin of the many cutting-edge multimedia features included in the LG V20. ESS Technology previously provided its 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC in the V10, LG V20's predecessor.

"As smartphones mature, we're seeing more and more customers looking beyond just fast processors and big displays in their devices," said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company. "Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. We're pleased to continue this long-term partnership with ESS and bring best in class audio to LG V20 users."

"We are extremely excited that our Quad DAC technology will be featured in the V20, LG's latest flagship smartphone for consumers who demand the best media experience," said Robert Blair, president and chief executive officer of ESS Technology. "As a technology more typically available in high-end audio equipment, Quad DAC on the V20 will make users feel as if they are carrying around a professional home-audio system on their smartphone."

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-v20...phone-quad-dac

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-20-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I see that nobody has continued your discussion of the LG V20 mobile phone and I don't know if this is the proper forum to do so. I would like to make a comment on this phone.

I was very excited to see that finally a decent quality DAC would be built into a phone, so that I could have a single device solution. Previously, I always carried around a mobile phone, a USB on-the-go cable and an external DAC (I have a Chord Mojo, LH Geekout V2+ Infinity, and an OPPO HA-2). It is difficult to carry all of this around and maintain separately charged devices as well as volume controls.

LG advertised their phone with a DAC that could handle pcm up to 384khz/32 bit and DSD512. I purchased it on the first day that Sprint offered it. I took it home, loaded up a 256GB MicroSD card with test music files and excitedly donned my JH Layla IEMs.

The first thing that I noticed was that the only music players supplied were:

1. Google Play Music
2. Amazon Music
3. Sprint Music Plus

None of these players is known as a high-resolution music player. That gave me pause, but I pushed on. I played a few 44.1khz/16 bit CD rips that sounded very good. The Hi-Fi (I hate that term) indicator lit up, confirming that the ES9218 (Quad DAC) was being used instead of the Qualcomm DAC. I then tried a few of my recordings from AiX and 2L records that were 96khz/24 bit PCM, 192khz/24bit PCM and 384khz/24bit PCM. They all played but sounded wrong. I then tried a few DSD recordings from various labels including Blue Coast Records and Naxos. These also sounded wrong.

I then switched up and tried the other two music players on the V20, thinking that the Google Music Player was messing things up. Nope, same results and some of the files wouldn't even play. It was at this point that I tried to get technical support from both LG and Sprint. Neither actually had "technical support". They just had people that would read the users manual to me. Neither had any method of escalating a question to someone of more technical ability.

I then went to the Android mobile phone forums including

1. xda developers
2. androidforums
3. androidcentral

I quickly learned that nobody cared that LG is selling a device that is unable to do what it says where audio is concerned and that I must be an "internet troll" because I am just stirring up trouble. It is at this point that I took it upon myself to make sure that it wasn't me. I hooked up a Sony PCM-D100 high-resolution digital recorder to the 3.5mm audio jack on the V20 and turned on recording to 192khz/24bit pcm at first. I recorded several 96khz and 192khz tracks and compared my recordings to the originals in Adobe Audition. I found that the player apps that LG / Sprint included with the phone, were decimating PCM to 48khz no matter what I played above 44.1khz PCM. Worse, when I played any DSD files, captured in DSD and did a comparison, I noticed that the player was actually converting to PCM then decimating!!

I ran the same tests using the same phone with USB Audio Pro and Onkyo HF Player attached to the LH DAC (similar chipset) via USB on the go wire with no conversion or decimation occurring. I then tried to use those players on the built in ES9218 DAC and both reported only seeing the ability to play 48khz PCM!!

I wasn't sure if it was the phone or the players that was the problem, so I made a small app that queries the operating system to get the capabilities of the DAC available. It only reports 48khz PCM. Aha!!! The phone is NOT EXPOSING IT'S CAPABILITES TO THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

I continued contacting LG, Sprint, the Forums, twitter and everything else but still, nobody believes me!!! I am the only one in the world that knows that the V20 just doesn't work as promised. Where do I go from here?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you are still within your 14 day return period, you can return the phone and get a refund on the purchase price.
Since it sounds like you are beyond that - all you can do is threaten to take them to small claims court for mis advertising the product.

My 17 month old LG4 - suddenly wouldn't turn on a few weeks ago. I decided to send it to LG and see what it would cost to fix it. It turns out the motherboard died. They replaced and sent back the phone. They even pay the FedEx shipping both directions. I later learned that LG did have motherboard problems and were replacing the motherboard even asked the 12 month warranty.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a LG v10, I never tried playing DSD files on it, simply because I don't have any. But I've played hi-res 24/192 flac on it, and didn't notice anything wrong. I love the phone's audio capabilities. But I have real doubts about LG's quality control. I've had my v10 replaced under warranty twice already. Once at the 8 months mark, and then the replacement got the same boot loop issue 7 months later. It is believed the issue is related to different solder, expanding and contracting at different rates due to heat, and then eventually losing joint connections. Some people have had luck sticking the motherboard in the oven, and rejoining the solder.

LG was good with warranty replacement both times. But I've resorted to carrying a second cheap phone. Just in case I have an emergency and need a phone. The first time my LG v10 died, I got rear ended on the drive to the t-mobile store, and couldn't take pictures of the accident.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
I have a LG v10, I never tried playing DSD files on it, simply because I don't have any. But I've played hi-res 24/192 flac on it, and didn't notice anything wrong. I love the phone's audio capabilities. But I have real doubts about LG's quality control. I've had my v10 replaced under warranty twice already. Once at the 8 months mark, and then the replacement got the same boot loop issue 7 months later. It is believed the issue is related to different solder, expanding and contracting at different rates due to heat, and then eventually losing joint connections. Some people have had luck sticking the motherboard in the oven, and rejoining the solder.

LG was good with warranty replacement both times. But I've resorted to carrying a second cheap phone. Just in case I have an emergency and need a phone. The first time my LG v10 died, I got rear ended on the drive to the t-mobile store, and couldn't take pictures of the accident.
An update to my it above message from nearly 5 months ago. In March my G4 started acting up and I did a full factory reboot. I now need to do two or three battery pulls a day to make the phone usable.
I'm trying to hang on till the new Samsung is released in about a month. The new LG phone will be released at the same time, but I'm not sure I want to gamble again.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've heard the LG v20 still has the same poor solder quality issues that've existed on every LG flagship since the g4. Because by the time they acknowledged it, the v20 production had already begun. So most likely the issue won't be resolved until the next generation flagship. Thing is my carrier has dropped all flagship phones except for apple, samsung, and LG. Spec-wise, I do like the v20 more than the others. But my experience with the v10 is making me weary, and I'm due for an upgrade.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I have the LG V20 as well, unlike many I'm not impressed with the quad DAC marketing ploy, and much like it's predecessor, the real asset was the headphone amp, not the DAC. It's well known that Android will reduce files larger than 16/48, unless the media player bypass the Android framework, I guess LG could care less about this and went ahead with their marketing ploy nonetheless. I use it with BT only with BT APtx which is only 16/44.1 so I can't say I'm all bothered by this. I have a few files larger than CD Flacs, but frankly I find it's real quality jump questionable at best, even on my more resolving home headphone gear which can play them bit for bit. I just pity the fools over at headfi who thinks this is best thing since sliced bread, after it was fairly known by now that it is a fraud indeed.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
I made a small app that queries the operating system to get the capabilities of the DAC available.
What is the name of this app, and did you publish it to the Google Play store? If not, do you have any suggestion for apps that are available in the Google Play store that do that?

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
What is the name of this app, and did you publish it to the Google Play store? If not, do you have any suggestion for apps that are available in the Google Play store that do that?

Thanks
The app doesn't have a name and was only available on my phone. I have seen no other apps that do this and that is why I created it. This phone is a complete fraud! I complained to LG LOUDLY and publicly. They refunded me plus gave me additional money to go away. They admitted that they NEVER TESTED IT with any real high-resolution files!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Portable A/V