post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Car switch

Hey guys,

Hopefully I posted in the right section here:

I currently have a media player in my car. I was thinking of also installing a front bumper camera (for parking to avoid scrapes), wherein I could just use a rocker switch to switch the video from the media player to the front camera. I've done a small amount of reading but I'm still unsure of how many connections a single RCA cable has inside, and whether I would need a SPDT switch or a DPDT switch. I also read something about how the cables have a shield; would this need to be grounded out?

I'm going through all this trouble as I'm trying to avoid the bulkiness of having a full on switch box. I only need the video line (one cable) from the media player, and the camera also only has a video line, so if I bought a switch box I'd have 4 extra jacks that were unnecessary. The switch would also be a lot cleaner for the set up I'm thinking of, and I'd be able to hide the switch in an inconspicuous place. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2017, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 602
SPDT is Single Pole Double Throw. That would be for one conductor.
DPDT is Double Pole Double Throw. That would be for two conductors (two poles). If your cable has two conductors, DPDT is what you want. Treat RCA shield as one of the conductors, center conductor as the other.

I would not ground the shields. That should already be taken care of as necessary at the device end.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using a switch that is not designed for signal level is asking for poor performance and may be so bad you couldn't use it. Automobiles generate all kinds of noise and shielding needs to go from the device to receiver.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 602
^A short un-shielded point such as a switch will not likely introduce noticeable noise, although it is possible. In fact many RCA terminations are not shielded on the interior side of the device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page