Anything like a DVD "iPOD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I would like to store all my dvd's on something like an iPOD and have all the functions of my dvd player. I would like it to be single function as it is for a dedicasted HT for movies only. Does anything like this exist Thanks for your help. Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone61554
Hi I would like to store all my dvd's on something like an iPOD and have all the functions of my dvd player. I would like it to be single function as it is for a dedicasted HT for movies only. Does anything like this exist Thanks for your help. Steve.
How about an iPod?

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfoot
How about an iPod?
Would that have all the functions of a dvd player? Like a remote, chapter search ,pause,etc. And the same audio capabilities etc? Also I am not sure it would have enough storage capacity.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would that have all the functions of a dvd player? Like a remote, chapter search ,pause,etc. And the same audio capabilities etc? Also I am not sure it would have enough storage capacity.
I think what you are describing is a laptop PC.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 AM

Look like we're on the same boat.

I'm using Tvix M5000 to store all my DVD and plan to replace it with Pixel Magic HD Media Box.

=> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626044

=> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=563184
post #6 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think what you are describing is a laptop PC.
tangfoot. I get the feeling either you are having fun with me or you are replying to the wrong post.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
tangfoot. I get the feeling either you are having fun with me or you are replying to the wrong post.
I think he is serious. Problem is that it is a bit difficult to understand exactly what you are after. An iPod is a portable music player. A DVD "iPod" would therefore be a portable DVD player. A laptop fits the bill, especially if you want to copy your DVDs onto the hard drive. Is this not what you want? You can get smaller portable DVD players, but they will just play the discs. They do not have built-in hard drives.

Charles
post #8 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyar15
I think he is serious. Problem is that it is a bit difficult to understand exactly what you are after. An iPod is a portable music player. A DVD "iPod" would therefore be a portable DVD player. A laptop fits the bill, especially if you want to copy your DVDs onto the hard drive. Is this not what you want? You can get smaller portable DVD players, but they will just play the discs. They do not have built-in hard drives.
Thanks I should have done a better job explaining what I want. I picked a bad example when I used ipod. I want to transfer all of my DVD's THAT i own onto one device and be able to operate it like a DVD player. I want to control the audio through my receiver and be able to pause rewind etc. Also it would have to be searchable for titles somehow. This will only be used for DVD playback so I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for your help Steve
post #9 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM

BigBone,

I think I know what you mean. Have a look at this item: http://www.divxtech.com/?gclid=CL3l1...FQTGPgodFFNiEA

I've been wanting one of these for a while now.

Have a look at the REVIEW links at the bottom of the page.

Good luck

IQ
post #10 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When I read it, I thought the exact same thing as Tangfoot.

Might have helped if you clarified that you want or don't want an integrated display or just want something portable that you can plug into a TV.

I read it to mean you wanted an all in one unit. In which case a laptop is the best option.

Otherwise, there are a couple of Tivx type 'portable harddrive w/ video playback' options available. I think Tom's Hardware reviewed a couple of them about a year ago. Might want to search through their archives.

-Suntan
post #11 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Well, at least I wasn't the only one...

post #12 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks I should have done a better job explaining what I want. I picked a bad example when I used ipod. I want to transfer all of my DVD's THAT i own onto one device and be able to operate it like a DVD player. I want to control the audio through my receiver and be able to pause rewind etc. Also it would have to be searchable for titles somehow. This will only be used for DVD playback so I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for your help Steve
Well, what you described sounds like...an HTPC.

AFAIK, there is no set top box that you can buy that will copy your DVD to a hard drive, because it is illegal to do so. There was one company that built a device (I think it was Escient) that cost a fortune, but was sued by someone. I don't know the outcome since I really wasn't interested in that product.

The bottom line is, that this can be done. The only question is: How portable does this have to be? Storing DVDs take a lot of hard drive space, so you will probably want at least a couple of drives in it. If you get a pair of 500Gb drives, then you will have a terabyte of storage space which will store quite a few DVDs if you remove the menus and extras. There are a number of software DVD players that will play DVD on hard drives such as Theatertek and Zoom Player, and a number of "Front End" software that will allow you to create a catalog of your DVD, allowing you to browse and then play. Such programs include XLobby, CQC, I think FrontLobby, and even NetRemote can do something similar but with more work setting it up. I think even Windows MCE can do it. Just about any sound card with SPDIF output will pass along the DD or DTS encoded soundtrack to your receiver.

Charles
post #13 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
what your looking for is something like this:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/

but the down side is that is expensive as all hell,

Quote:
Pricing will depend on the amount of movie storage, as well as the number of viewing zones. A base Kaleidescape System lists for $27,000 and includes a Kaleidescape Server with sufficient storage for 160 DVD movies, a Movie Player for playback in a single zone, and a DVD Reader for importing DVDs. The storage capacity can be expanded to over 400 movies for less than $6,000 and an unlimited number of Movie Players can be added for $3995 per zone.
- Josh
post #14 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx
The storage capacity can be expanded to over 400 movies for less than $6,000
Is this hard drive plated in gold or what?

post #15 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is this hard drive plated in gold or what?

hehe, dunno, thats just what the estimated prices were from a CES report in 04, not sure if the prices are exact now or not. But the system would still be killer to have.

- Josh
post #16 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

That's the one that I was thinking of. Weren't they sued by the RIAA?

Charles
post #17 of 21 Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

post #18 of 21 Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
I have one of those units (Kaleidescape) and will let you know what's what:

1. They were not sued by the MPAA (or the RIAA, which if for music by the way). They have been sued by the DVD CCA, which licenses DVD players. The DVD CCA is claiming their system violates their agreement. Kaleidescape had denied this claim and filed a countersuit. The DVD CCA seems to want to go to trial or at the least refuses to settle the case. After more than a year they still have not pointed out to what in their 100+ page license agreement Kaleidescape allegedly has violated. You cannot download a copy of this license agreement. There is also no contact person at the DVD CCA to ask. They are a very secret organization.

2. The prices you list were very old. They system has upgraded and dropped prices since then. The base system now costs $22K and holds 150 movies. The server can be upgraded to hold 825 DVDs based on the current drive size of 500GB. Multiple servers can be bundled very easily. (It took me about 10 seconds to cluster my two servers together). Movie players are now $3200 each.

The base system will support 5 simultaneous streams. If you have more than 5 zones you need to work simultaneously you can pay for an upgrade to increase to 25 clients. The hardware is the same - it is just a different license.

Additional hard drives can be added to the server. They are $995 and will hold 75 DVDs each. While you might ask if that is expensive for a hard drive, you are getting more than just a hard drive. You are getting a hot-swappable drive cage with it, a warranty and monitoring. If your drive fails or starts to falter, the server will send a health alert to Kaleidescape who will call you on the phone and let you know a drive is failing and to expect a replacement to arrive via Fedex the next day. They did that with me when a faulty power supply in my player started to act up - it was VERY impressive customer service!

Kaleidescape now has an option for music to be placed on their servers as an additional service. They have demoed it at the CES. Although technically in Alpha stage, it is very reliable and should be available for general release in March. Current Kaleidescape owners will receive this music service as a free upgrade.

I have seen just about all the media servers on the market and nothing comes close to the Kaleidescape in terms of performance or ease of use. It truly is the undisputed king of the media servers.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-08-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Poindexter that is just insane. I'm sure you love it's functionality but my mind is saying for the amount you spent on storing DVDs you could have bought a decent luxury car. :) That level of customer service sounds pretty amazing though

BigBone- What are your thoughts on a simple HTPC? Get Windows MCE w/remote, rip your movies to harddrive using DVDShrink, and scroll through them similar to an ipod.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #20 of 21 Old 04-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Bigbone61554, what size player are you looking for, and how much do you want to spend?

hjackson
post #21 of 21 Old 04-23-2006, 06:10 PM

checkout the Creative Zen Vision, Creative's answer to an Ipod 5G.

http://images.creative.com/iss/image..._hdr_1_6_1.jpg

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=12985

Unlike Apple's offering, the Zen Vision supports a lot more video types:

Zen Vision supports many video formats, such as AVI, DivXâ„¢ 4 & 53, XviD4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9 and Motion-JPEG, which simply means more choice and less restrictions.

So you can use a ripping software to rip your DVD into DivX, or Xvid, or Even Mpeg-2 (not sure if it supports direct DVD rips eg. Video_TS)

If I could still sell my Ipod 4G I'd probably get this one... the white colored zen vision looks sweet.

www.jaypadua.com
-------------------------
www.htpcnews.com
Closed Thread Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page