Best CD or MP3 player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want something to go along my new headphones. Whenever I play something on
my PC and plug my headphones, it sounds so clear and bass is clean. But when I
put it on iPod or CD player it sounds distorted and bass is shaky. I want something
that can play 320kbps or a lossless like sound. I heard Sony's ATRAC lossless sound
is something to look at. How do you convert something from .mp3 to ATRAC file?

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM

K-3 Review

K3
Yepp YP-K3 (2GB) from Samsung is an ultra-slim, ultra-light stylish MP3 player in laminated black. You can carry it around anywhere, and easily use it with its touch-pad. DNSe, an original technology of Samsung used to build K3, also ensures the high quality of the sound it plays. Yepp YP-K3 (2GB) is the product for you who appreciates the pleasure of music and values stylishness in everything you do.

Sensuous Design
Yepp YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung conveys a sense of deep luxury and sophistication, as it is covered in luxuriously laminated black. Yepp YP-K3 is a proud work of art you can have as your accessory, sure to draw to you the attention you deserve anywhere you go.

Exceptional MobilityYepp
YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung measures 44 x 96 x 6.95mm (width x length x height) and weights 50 grams. It is a perfectly portable, mobile device you want to have.

Various Codices
AccommodatedYepp YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung plays files of various formats, from MP3 to WMA and OGG. It easily converts between different types of music files you would like to play.

Soul-moving SoundThe
Digital Natural Sound Engine (DNSe), an original technology of Samsung that is provided with K3, will make you feel as if you were in the middle of a live concert hall every time you play music. The natural tone and clear high pitches the DNS3 plays will make you feel as if you were surrounded by a home-theater system along with EP-100 earphones that emphasize the lively mid- to low pitches.

FM Radio Functions
You can store up to 30 of your favorite stations on your K3 and listen to them whenever you want. The automatic preset function automatically stores up to 30 radio channels that can be found all over the given FM radio region, so you do not have to struggle to find your favorite radio station every time you want to listen to it,.

High-Resolution Color ScreenThe
1.8-inch color OLED shows images of high resolutions as well as texts with improved functions and performance.You can view your favorite photos and videos anytime anywhere, just as lively and action-filled as they are.

Alarm FunctionYou
can use your K3 as a small clock, and set your alarm to wake you up with your favorite tune every morning.

Touch Pad
The four-direction touch-pad that can be easily operated with light finger-tip touches enables you to use the variety of menus and functions K3 provides with ease.

Dotted ScreenThe
dot-shaped, blue lighted OLED that lights up each time a menu is viewed emits the mysterious blue light. These dot-shaped lighting helps you find the menu you want even in dark places, while also boosting up your style.

Multi-tasking
K3 is a multi-tasker: it allows you to view your photos, listen to an FM radio station, set a screensaver image or alarm, while you are listening to your music.

Long-lasting Hours
The built-in lithium-polymer cell used for K3 can play up to 25 hours of music without stop after being charged once. Because K3 uses a 24-pin charger that is the same as the one used to charge cellular phones, you can charge K3 easily using your cellular phone charger as well.

USB 2.0
You can send your data at an incredibly high speed using the USB 2.0., which you can also use as a removable disk.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romiow View Post

K-3 Review

K3
Yepp YP-K3 (2GB) from Samsung is an ultra-slim, ultra-light stylish MP3 player in laminated black. You can carry it around anywhere, and easily use it with its touch-pad. DNSe, an original technology of Samsung used to build K3, also ensures the high quality of the sound it plays. Yepp YP-K3 (2GB) is the product for you who appreciates the pleasure of music and values stylishness in everything you do.

Sensuous Design
Yepp YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung conveys a sense of deep luxury and sophistication, as it is covered in luxuriously laminated black. Yepp YP-K3 is a proud work of art you can have as your accessory, sure to draw to you the attention you deserve anywhere you go.

Exceptional MobilityYepp
YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung measures 44 x 96 x 6.95mm (width x length x height) and weights 50 grams. It is a perfectly portable, mobile device you want to have.

Various Codices
AccommodatedYepp YP-K3 MP3 player from Samsung plays files of various formats, from MP3 to WMA and OGG. It easily converts between different types of music files you would like to play.

Soul-moving SoundThe
Digital Natural Sound Engine (DNSe), an original technology of Samsung that is provided with K3, will make you feel as if you were in the middle of a live concert hall every time you play music. The natural tone and clear high pitches the DNS3 plays will make you feel as if you were surrounded by a home-theater system along with EP-100 earphones that emphasize the lively mid- to low pitches.

FM Radio Functions
You can store up to 30 of your favorite stations on your K3 and listen to them whenever you want. The automatic preset function automatically stores up to 30 radio channels that can be found all over the given FM radio region, so you do not have to struggle to find your favorite radio station every time you want to listen to it,.

High-Resolution Color ScreenThe
1.8-inch color OLED shows images of high resolutions as well as texts with improved functions and performance.You can view your favorite photos and videos anytime anywhere, just as lively and action-filled as they are.

Alarm FunctionYou
can use your K3 as a small clock, and set your alarm to wake you up with your favorite tune every morning.

Touch Pad
The four-direction touch-pad that can be easily operated with light finger-tip touches enables you to use the variety of menus and functions K3 provides with ease.

Dotted ScreenThe
dot-shaped, blue lighted OLED that lights up each time a menu is viewed emits the mysterious blue light. These dot-shaped lighting helps you find the menu you want even in dark places, while also boosting up your style.

Multi-tasking
K3 is a multi-tasker: it allows you to view your photos, listen to an FM radio station, set a screensaver image or alarm, while you are listening to your music.

Long-lasting Hours
The built-in lithium-polymer cell used for K3 can play up to 25 hours of music without stop after being charged once. Because K3 uses a 24-pin charger that is the same as the one used to charge cellular phones, you can charge K3 easily using your cellular phone charger as well.

USB 2.0
You can send your data at an incredibly high speed using the USB 2.0., which you can also use as a removable disk.

You sound like a robot. I need reviews or experience.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #4 of 24 Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Take a look at www.dapreview.net

Yep, I am a newbie, don't listen to me, don't do what I do, just ignore me, but I won't go away.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM

K3 Preview

Let's briefly have a look at Yepp Yp-K3 that is going to be launched soon.

The package that I've received was not a package for domestic launch, but a package for overseas launch, so no Korean was written on the package, but I assume the package design is not going to be much different to the package for domestic launch. (The previous YP-K5 package had a similar design as well.)

It was a typical package formation of Yepp Style.

In the package, Yepp Yp-K3 body, documents, installation CD, earphone and USB charger/sync cable were included. It was also not much different from the contents of other products.

K3 was a product that I didn't expect much in design feature. I already had a prejudice that it is going to be big since it is a following model of K5. Also for K5, the enormous thickness was offset with an item, sliding speaker', but for K3 with no sliding speaker, I thought it is only a big product with no special characteristics.

But actually, K3 that I've seen in real was surprising. For the front size, it had an exactly same look to K5, but it was reminding of Z5 of iPod Nano style rather than a following model of K5.

The harmony of surprisingly slim thickness, OLED, touch buttons in blue tone and simple silver outline was explaining the word, Stylish'.

The reverse size was also formed with logos with invisible color tone in tidiness.

In a situation that the MP3 Player market is moving towards the multi-functional multi media player such as Clix 2 of iRiver, D2 of CoWon, YP-T9 of Yepp YP-T9 and others, the appearance of Yepp YP-K3 that is keeping up with iPod Nano or Yepp YP-Z5 is going to be a pleasant news for users who are looking for products that are royal to simple design, sufficient price and music play.

For more details, it is going to be carried on in the review.

Reviewed by : Xenix Blog
post #6 of 24 Old 03-10-2007, 06:07 AM

i want to know the best sounding DAP here as well. currently own iAudio's x5L and is looking for something smaller and with better soundquality.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I am trying to find a compact audio player that can compress a file without degrading the
file. I took a plunge on Sony's NW-E003F (2GB) just to try their ATRAC files. Well first of all I
love this thing better than my iPod Nano disregarding the one line display which I think isn't
a nuisance. The good thing about this is it charge so quick you didn't even know you were
charging it. It has a full 28 hours of playback. 3 minute charge = 3 hours playback. Now the
sound quality. I have both file go into this player with one 320kbps and one Sony's ATRAC
at 132kbps. You wouldn't believe me but the sound quality is the same. Well I thought it
must be the player so I plugged my professional DJ headphones on the computer with
X-Fi sound card playing 320kbps MP3 using max volume (no distortion). Now I instantly
plugged the headphones on the player playing at 132kbps ATRAC and they have the same
volume output @ 107dB using SPL meter. As for the quality, it's the same. No distortion at
max volume. I would look into this for only 1GB $69.99 and 2GB for $99.99. The style is
also an eye catcher with a few of my friends. I do recommend you to change the crappy
included earphones.

post #8 of 24 Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Durabrand Antiskip Portable CD player Does not distort any of my headphones!

But My sony CD player does with its over inflated "bass" with no midrange and muffled treble

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #9 of 24 Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Durabrand? Reminds me of all those audiophiles buying that old Realistic Portable CD Player.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #10 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah , but at leas the durabrand wont frustrate you by making all your headphones soundlike they're farting on every heavy bass hit while putting out low volume even on MAX! like that sony CD player I hardly ever use (stupid volume limiter) (stupid booming midbass)

post #11 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 AM

I love my Sony CD/MP3 player, it easily drives a pair of studio monitor headphones without distorting (as a general rule for serious listening - don't use the Auto Volume Limiting System, it's for old people who are afraid of music). And the midrange is wherever I want it thanks to the *9-band EQ*.

As for compression method; different headphones have different limits regarding spatial/soundstage depth. The trick is to experiment with different compression rates and compare the result with the CD or uncompressed original. As long as they sound the same through your headphones, you're good to go.

Sony D-NF400 CD/MP3/ATRAC3Plus/AM/FM/TV/Weather - HeadRoom Micro Headphone Amp (Desktop Mod) - Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitor Headphones
post #12 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Yah , but at leas the durabrand wont frustrate you by making all your headphones soundlike they're farting on every heavy bass hit while putting out low volume even on MAX! like that sony CD player I hardly ever use (stupid volume limiter) (stupid booming midbass)

What headphones do you have? Usually Sony package crappy headphones with them.
There is no reason Durabrand is better. You need to test your sources again because
I have had my Sony CD player for 10 years now and still sound new and better than
iPod.

post #13 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 PM

I would say Zune is better but iPod is cool it depends on what you really like, function or interface
post #14 of 24 Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

But the Drabrand/Lenoxx CD player Has no Volume Limiter !!!

Durabrand 25MW output

Sony Only 16MW and bass too boomy to me and all earbuds and Burned CD's sound 'little
I have too may headphones!

Koss Earbuds (too big)
rebuilt vintage AVES headphones
A pair of Packcell headphones
A pair of Phillips headphones
A pair of white headphones by an unknown brand which soundes so good even when bass boost was on too (they broke ) never found another pair (cries) must havve been sennhisers!
A pair of jenseh headphones
A pair of RCA headphones
A set of Phillips heabphones (lots of bass)
A set of Coby headphones
Coby earbuds
Unknown brand of Headband earbuds (loud)
RCA earbuds
ASudiovox earbuds. (uncomfortable)

post #15 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

But the Drabrand/Lenoxx CD player Has no Volume Limiter !!!

Durabrand 25MW output

Sony Only 16MW and bass too boomy to me and all earbuds and Burned CD's sound 'little
I have too may headphones!

Koss Earbuds (too big)
rebuilt vintage AVES headphones
A pair of Packcell headphones
A pair of Phillips headphones
A pair of white headphones by an unknown brand which soundes so good even when bass boost was on too (they broke ) never found another pair (cries) must havve been sennhisers!
A pair of jenseh headphones
A pair of RCA headphones
A set of Phillips heabphones (lots of bass)
A set of Coby headphones
Coby earbuds
Unknown brand of Headband earbuds (loud)
RCA earbuds
ASudiovox earbuds. (uncomfortable)

Any of those cost more than $100?

post #16 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 AM

I don't think anything you listed there can get under 100hz, you're missing half your music with this Wal-Mart stuff. If you're just trying to save money, go with something like this:

$30 Headphones
post #17 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL no wonder why. It's like putting a Ferrari engine (Sony) on a Toyota (Headphones) and try
to wonder why it's not going as fast or not good as a expensive Ferrari.

post #18 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Not ALL of my headphoes distort with the sony its just a couple that distort. All the others are fine.

I Just find the Sony CD player that I have that somone gave me for free because they claimed they coulnt get it to turn on to be slightly disturbing compared to the Lenoxx player

No Control for volume limiter
Does not go as loud as the Durabrand (a must for a portable ) imagint trying to drown out people who yell too much and still be able to hear them!
treble a bit lacking (in my opinon)
Weak Antiskip
Sometimy with Burned CD's (says no disk) I cant beleive the Sony CD player told me NO! A cD player will never tell me NO! ever Again!!!No CD player Tells me NO and gets away with it!

It also beeps with ever Button press
Distorts My Stereo system's speakers

Okay I'm calm But I just researched this Sony CD player that I had and ALL ofthem have the same Deficencies

OK I'll Now talk About the LenoXX Player now
Nice and loud
Came with Nice black headpphones which have nice cushons and can go loud with NO distortion
Works with any Burned CD I throw at it
No Error messages (hardly)
Stronger Anti-skip than sony
Smells good!
No distorting my stereo
Bass isnt as (thick) which is good for my ears I like bass but it seem more in line sound wise)
Quiet motor
No beeping!
Remote isnt as crappy as the sony's remote (not too big)
Eats batteries (my falt)
Display Isnt as fuzzy as the sony
Doesnt feel as flimsy as the sony CD player
Can drive a pair of Sennhiesers without the amp! (or so I have heard from some audiophines)

post #19 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are using a CD player that a friend GAVE to you then that's the reason right there. There
is a reason why the friend gave you that CD player. Do me a favor and buy a new Sony CD player
and compare it to Durabrand or LenoXX and tell me which has the higher fidelity. Oh, and use
a good headphones too. Get Sony MDR-V150 and that is good enough to hear the difference.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Before I begin, allow me to highlight a point -

NEVER USE THE AUTO VOLUME LIMITING SYSTEM

also,

NEVER USE INCLUDED HEADPHONES

and now that I've covered that:

I see the problem now, you say it can't identify burned discs - the only CD players that can't read burned CDs are the ones with firmware from many years ago...the reason that player sucks is because it's OLD. Off to the $30 portable audio isle again:

$30 CD Player

My Sony CD player uses the same "G-Protection" anti-skip mechanism, and in three years of use, I've never once heard it skip. It's read every burned disc I've ever put in it (which is almost exclusively all I play in it), and it's *balanced* - none of this "no treble" or "too much bass" business.

Seriously though, with this $30 player and the $30 headphones I noted above, you can quickly and easily put together something that will make you wonder why you ever bothered with your two CD players and all those headphones. If you really enjoy the music, and want to really hear it, you should take the plunge.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I just found out thwat the Lovoxx Sound Headphones Sound better than the sony's
not that the Sony CD player had any when It was given to me (yipee)

I did listen to another freind's stock sony headphones and I was Alarmed!
just as much I was with my other Freinds IPOD!

Its not ALL of the haddphones that sound funny It's just 3 0r 4 that sound funny.

post #22 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Yes, there are variations in quality in the world of $9.99 headphones.

Buy the best and you'll never be disappointed.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sony can range to $5 crappy freebie headphones into $1000 a professional studio monitor headphones.
If you were to compare some crappy headphones to some company that has better quality (money)
then the reason right there just smacked you in the face. Please before any more comments like
that, purchase the MDR-V150. It's the cheapest taste you can get to Hi-Fi.

post #24 of 24 Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the SONY CD player is from 2004! the durabrand is from 2006 I guess It's my ears The only way I can hear the Cymbals go TSSSS... and Not CTSSS.... is to use the Loneoxx player! and Bass Drums go B not b and snares go T!

I'm a musician so that's probably my problem I know that live performances have quite a bit of treble so I guss I'm sensitive to treble reductions I just like a CD player with a bit of "snap" in treble.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page