need to find a webcam type set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what im doing is installing a computer into my truck and i wanted to have a few cameras to look at whats behind me, or wherever from the cameras. i have to be able to record also.
kinda like a security camera setup but nothing grainy and cheap. they have to be in color.
what would you suggest?

thanks illya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM

About the best camera for inside the cab is a webcam, preferably something that can sense motion to trigger itself like this one. Connect it to a wifi or EV-DO router that is always powered on and connected to the internet. Then the camera can send a vid clip via email when it triggers. Backup cameras are a bit more complex due to environment issues, cheap cameras will simply fog up due to condensation within a short time. The best systems use signal sensing of the reverse activity such as reverse lights, shift mechanism etc to switch to the camera input automatically.

Its also nice to be able to monitor the camera remotely. Streaming the camera output to a smartphone or pocket pc is even possible now.
The system in my vehicle streams its own internet radio station over its wifi network, its actually a huge collection of mp3's on its harddrive. I carry a wifi capable pocket pc with some earbuds and I no longer have to listen to the horrible music they broadcast in the stores and malls.
My home AV system has an HTPC that broadcasts its TV signal over the net. I can watch TV in my car with no worries about antenna direction as it is attached to the net via EV-DO. I can change the channels and if I want I can even watch TV with the Pocket PC.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

that sounds pretty awesome. i will have a pc in the truck and since im not very far away ill have it networked to my home pc so i can always check the cameras from my home computer for security also. i just need to find something that i can switch between cameras.
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page