GV-D200 Digital8® Video Walkman - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Many moons ago... I purchased a Sony Video8 camcorder & have hundreds of hours of tape recorded to 8mm/Hi8 formats. Recently my camcorder bit the dust & now I'm looking for a solution to transfer these analog tapes to digital format. It seems the only solution, which is rather expensive, is to buy any of these devices from Sony:

GV-D200 Digital8® Video Walkman

GV-D800 Digital8® Video Walkman

DCR-TRV280 Digital8® Handycam® Camcorder

My impression is the GV-Dxxx Walkman's will play previously recorded 8mm & Hi8 tapes but the DCR-TRV280 will not.

I'm looking for the most inexpensive way (short of shopping @ ebay) to convert my old analog tapes to digital. Does anyone have some alternative methods they can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Unless you want to spend near the same amount of bucks for an old, used Hi8 vcr off Ebay, then that's about it. I just put an order in for a gv-d200 from BHphoto. It has a time base corrector built in, so it should be a good bet for transferring tapes.

If you're going to transfer video from older tapes, it makes sense to have a warranty in case all the usage causes problems. I'll post my opinion of the image quality as soon as I transfer some video.

I'm hoping that the DV out has good quality, then use TMPGenc to encode to Mpeg-2. May possibly get the Sony DVD Direct VRD-MC3 instead of going the computer route.

P.S. The TRV D8 camcorder I tried (not the 280) had terrible Hi8 analog/DV output quality.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Patrick,

I wound up purchasing a GV-D200 from "One Call .com." Although expensive, provided your original recordings were made using SP mode, it works as advertised.

I've used some authoring software to create avi files to disk, but based on some of this Forum's member recommendations I'm pursuing the DVD recorder option to create DVDs from my original 8mm tapes.

Unfortunately, DVD recorders w/ATSC tuner & internal HDD seem to be a dying breed but hopefully Panasonic, etc., will release something new to the US market soon.

Until then I can watch my circa 1990 movies that have held up surprisingly well... a lot better than me.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I've never understood these GVD-xxx walkman units. They cost almost double that of a camcorder and they don't do more they do less. I assume the warranty is the same 1yr parts/90 days labor as virtually all other Sony video products. What gives?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 05-22-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I've never understood these GVD-xxx walkman units. They cost almost double that of a camcorder and they don't do more they do less. I assume the warranty is the same 1yr parts/90 days labor as virtually all other Sony video products. What gives?

These devices are geared to a very small market: buyers, like myself, who purchased a Sony camcorder during the 90s that used Video8/Hi8 or Digital8 tape formats.

Now that my analog camcorder has bit the dust the GV-D200/800 is the only way to play back my old family movies and transfer them to HDD and/or DVD.

While the Digital8 Walkman is an expensive item... videos of my friends & family (many who have passed) are "priceless."
vivatech likes this.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Optivity, does your DV out work? I can't get any DV video to my Sony DVD Direct VRD-MC3. The analog out looks fine and makes good dubs. I probably would get better dubs with analog to the built in Mpeg-2 encoder in the DVD Direct, but I would like to have the DV capability for future computer transfers. Thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McGuire View Post

Optivity, does your DV out work? I can't get any DV video to my Sony DVD Direct VRD-MC3. The analog out looks fine and makes good dubs. I probably would get better dubs with analog to the built in Mpeg-2 encoder in the DVD Direct, but I would like to have the DV capability for future computer transfers. Thanks

The DV in/out interface with my GV-D200 works fine. So far I have only used it with my PC, an HP m7350n, using GV-D200 DV --> m7350n IEEE 1394 connection. The GV-D200 menu setting for the A/V --> DV OUT must be "ON" to make the interface active (off by default?). The GV-D200 has no display screen so I use its S-Video out port to my Gateway FPD2185W monitor to display the menu.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Got the DV out working by inputting S-video. Even though I set the DV out to "on" in the menu, the vcr was somehow in Dv "in" mode instead of out mode. Inputting S-video apparently kicks it out of "in" mode. Firmware glitch probably.

Turns out, analog out to the Sony VRD-MC3 provides better recorded quality than DV. Color has better sturation and the look of the video is more pleasing with analog.

Using DVD-RW to get the Video into TMPGEnc DVD Author for editing and burning.
Quality is very good. The difference between original and copy is very slight. Will try using the MC3 with the computer as a stand alone DVD player/burner next.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update; I'm still searching for that elusive DVD recorder before proceeding any further. At least my Video 8 tapes have held up remarkably well. I also have a Panasonic PV-GS300 digital camcorder w/DV I/O port & I'm considering making copies of my Video 8 tapes onto miniDV tape format.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Optivity, don't go from one tape format to another or you're bound to regret it in a few years time. MiniDV will some day die off too, but if you record to a hard drive now you'll be able to back up (to DVD/Bluray etc) and replicate your collection (to future computers) to your hearts content and and in seconds, not hours. You need to get digitized, my man. Hec, I'm in your shoes too with SVHS, LP's, and cassettes!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think we will see something like the DMR-EH55S made available to the US market anytime soon?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know. I haven't followed those sort of machines for some time because they make no sense to me in terms of how I like using these devices independently (non-combo designs). I'm sorry to be so negative about them but I'm just telling it like I see it. I assume they still have the same problems they did when I looked in to them 2-3 years ago:

1) No cablecard digital cable tuner design so no premium channels that need descrambling (e.g. HBO) can be viewed or recorded either to hard drive or DVD.

2) No HD in so one can only record from the builtin tuner, no outboard HD cablebox, HD sat box, or HD camcorder can be recorded.

3) DVD recorder can not record 16x9 anamorphically compressed, only ltr boxed 4x3 or full screen 4x3 (they may have fixed that by now)

4) DVD recorder records in Dolby Digital..........2.0! (not 5.1)

5) Firewire (i-link/IEEE 1394) port is for 480i camcorder IN only, not out to archive to outboard computer or DigitlalVHS

6) Price of units makes no sense compared to renting a DVR cablebox from Comcast monthly. Sure, you break even in 4 years, but do you really want to be locked into that non-HD archiving machine instead of renting the newest thing the cable company has to offer that effectively has a lifetime warranty (if my DVR ever fails, they swap it, no questions asked)

7) DVD recorder won't archive copy guarded movies but will archive 1080i/720p network TV show material in....480i. That's not good enough for me.

Even if some of these bumps have been ironed out. I still prefer renting an HD DVR from my cable company, archiving perfect 1080i/720p Dolby Digital 5.1 HBO movies to DVHS (JVC HMDH5U) by firewire and won't buy another DVD recorder until they're HD.

edit: One more thing, that Panasonic combo box you link to says, "To use this function, your DVD recorder must be connected to a TV antenna and able to receive a terrestrial broadcast that includes EPG data" Last time I checked, the Gemstar TV Guide function collected its data from an NTSC broadcast signal only, not ATSC, and not Cable QAM. Does that mean you lose your EPG function when NTSC gets turned off in 2009?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

, but if you record to a hard drive now you'll be able to back up (to DVD/Bluray etc) and replicate your collection (to future computers) to your hearts content and and in seconds, not hours. You need to get digitized, my man. Hec, I'm in your shoes too with SVHS, LP's, and cassettes!

By hard drive I meant a home PC's hard drive (just to be clear).

Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

What I'm really looking for is a methodology I can use to copy my Video8/Hi8 tapes to DVD.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Using software such as Nero, Roxio, etc you could burn dvd's on your computer. [GVD200 i-link port to computer's harddrive and then burn to DVD recording drive.] Alternatively, buy a cheap DVD recorder with i-link in. Maybe for $179 a Panasonic DMREZ17K? It records to +/-/R/RW and even RAM. Since you are making a direct digital dub it should give good results.