Archos 605 WiFi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Archos 605 users, post your impressions.

Features: 800x480 resolution, direct VOB/AC3 playback, full DVR, flash and MMS streaming support, full web browser (Opera), touchscreen interface, flash or HDD storage option... what else?*

Heres what Id like to know:

How does the screen look compared to the previous gen? Can it pixel map a VOB extraction? Can it playback hi-def rips via component (via docking station) Is VOB audio playback loud enough?

*Edit: Purportedly supports .ts files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Specs below per CNETs review:
About 3 Benjamins (stock msrp price)!
1/2" thick!
wifi content portal (youtube, etc.)!
160gb!
mpeg4/avi/wmv/h264/mpeg2/vob!
dvr station!

Sounds too good to be true as PVRs go!

I wonder what sort of EPG it uses for scheduling recordings, or is that all done manually...

All right early adopters, the floor is yours.

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #3 of 56 Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just recieved mine today. The video quality is top notch, better than the iPhone (or iTouch, same resolution). It's a little thick and heavy as it has a hard drive.

As of now I am having a problem playing my .wmv files on it. Will keep you posted as I go along.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #4 of 56 Old 09-08-2007, 04:39 AM

Anyone know if this will play .dvr-ms files recorded via MS Media Center Edition?
post #5 of 56 Old 09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

"As of now I am having a problem playing my .wmv files on it...."
Hey XBRSteve, are those WMV files recordings of SD, HD, or analog shows? Just curious if there are upper limits to file sizes, bit rates, or any other variables that might bog down the video decoding, etc.

Problems in what way? Not playing at all, or starts but freezes, or audio is out of sync with video?

post #6 of 56 Old 09-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Radagast View Post

"As of now I am having a problem playing my .wmv files on it...."
Hey XBRSteve, are those WMV files recordings of SD, HD, or analog shows? Just curious if there are upper limits to file sizes, bit rates, or any other variables that might bog down the video decoding, etc.

Problems in what way? Not playing at all, or starts but freezes, or audio is out of sync with video?

The issue I am having is with the Audio. They are HD video files that I re-encoded to a resolution that that the Archos can read. The audio on the other hand is 364kb/s rate WMA Pro and the Archos cannot read it. I am re-encoding it again to a lower rate (256kb/s) and see if it works.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #7 of 56 Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm thinking very seriously about getting this unit. I'm curious about how the A/V plugins work. Specifically, I have my DVDs encoded at h.264 files with AC3 audio. I see Archos has a plugin that does h.264 and aac and another that does MPEG2 and AC3. If I got both plugins does it mix and match (i.e. can I play h.264 video files with AC3 audio)? Also the AC3 audio plugin info leaves me with the impression that it'll work as AC3 passthough on the optical connector but maybe not as a downmix to stereo over the head phone jack.

Anyone have any experience with the plugins on the 605, or earlier Archos models?

At the end of the day I could just re-encode everything specifically for the Archos, but if it can play the files I already have, another $40 would be worth the time I would save not re-encode everything.
post #8 of 56 Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

The issue I am having is with the Audio. They are HD video files that I re-encoded to a resolution that that the Archos can read. The audio on the other hand is 364kb/s rate WMA Pro and the Archos cannot read it. I am re-encoding it again to a lower rate (256kb/s) and see if it works.

I purchased the Archos 605 160GB. The problem that I am having is not with the sound or video.. I can Play my MP3s and M4As, my AVIs and PM4s videos.. Of course I had to buy the Video podcast plug-in for the audio coding on the MP4s (H.264 - AAC). In addition, I also have the DVR.. Great both for TV recording and/or viewing your pictures, movies/videos in the big screen TV..

My big issue is with the device Wi-Fi.. every time that I am doing something related to the wireless connection, the A605 devices freezes. It does not matter where I am or what I am doing.. Browsing the internet or browsing the Shares in the my network.. it just freezes and the device hast to be reset.

I visited the ARCHOS website and I downloaded / installed the latest Firmware - ARCHOS 605 Wi-Fi OS v 1.3.08 but It did not help at all .. I also talk to the tech support but they do not understand why the code is stopping.. They are saying that it could be hardware related.. I might have to get and RMA to get it repair or exchange but I seen in other forums, other folks having the same problem that I am having so I am not 100% sure that it is hardware related.. I will continue to so more research on this. I will post any updates regarding this problem

If any body has some feed back regarding this issues please let me know, it will be truly appreciated

Prdx
post #9 of 56 Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hey paradoxar,

Are there settings for the browser that you can tweak? I wonder if you can turn off javascript and/or other settings. Also, try clearing the cache/temp folder (if that's possible).

How does the DVR work? Does it come with an updateable EPG, or is it all manual (i.e., you see something that you want to record, and you press the record button...).

BTW, welcome to the forums!

post #10 of 56 Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM

paradoxar, I read in another forum (I don't have the thing myself yet) that folks were having the same problem with 802.11b but once they upgraded to g, no worries. An idea, at least. timo
post #11 of 56 Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Those of you with problems, try checking out forum.archosfans.com.

Mine should be here pretty soon (30GB model). One exciting thing (though I know nothing about the details) that's supposed to be coming out is a plugin to allow 720p playback (I assume on the TV).

Anyone get the DVR station? How's the resolution when surfing the web on the TV?
post #12 of 56 Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

I am having all kinds of problems getting video to work on this damn thing! I have tried converting them to .wmv (audio doesn't work), .avi (doesn't play the movie to the end), .mpg (no audio either). Does anyone know of a good conversion program that is freeware? I am using Any Video Converter and it isn't doing the trick.

The .avi issue is strange. I start the movie and it says it's 1:45 minutes long which is correct. Once I fast forward the total time decreases to about 45 minutes and simply stops at the end. It's not movie specific as it has done it on 3 straight movies. I new I should have purchased the Creative player!

I am also unable to transfer these movie files through the USB connection but I can do it through the Wifi!!!.....WTF!?

Sorry for venting.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #13 of 56 Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

XBRSteve, are these movies that you ripped from dvds? Reply with what format the original vids are in - maybe others can chime in a little better.

post #14 of 56 Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Radagast View Post

XBRSteve, are these movies that you ripped from dvds? Reply with what format the original vids are in - maybe others can chime in a little better.

Some are ripped from DVD's so they are in .vob format. I convert them into one large .vob then try to convert them to .mpg, avi, etc to make the file size smaller. The other files are in .WMV HD format.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #15 of 56 Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM

I want to get one, but I have three questions about the web browser:
1) Can you download files?
2) Can you upload files?
3) Does it include the t.orrent support like Opera 9 (for legal t.orrents)?
post #16 of 56 Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, got mine today. Was an early birthday/anniversary gift from my wife.

I was pretty excited for about 5 minutes. I ended up with a brick.

So, back to amazon it goes.
post #17 of 56 Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoooon View Post

Well, got mine today. Was an early birthday/anniversary gift from my wife.

I was pretty excited for about 5 minutes. I ended up with a brick.

So, back to amazon it goes.

What happened? I thought mine was a brick but then I read that for some you have to charge it for 24hrs. After that it powered right up.

I finally got the video working correctly. If anyone has the same issue I had playing back video I used a program called Any Video Converter (Freeware) to convert .vob and .WMHD. I used these settings.

Output Profile: DVD Video NTSC Movie (*.mpg)
Video Aspect 16/9 (depending on your movie of course)
Video Bitrate: 5000
Audio Bitrate 192
The rest is at default or is easy figure out yourself.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #18 of 56 Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Basically, when I first got it, I plugged in the USB cable into the Archos, then plugged it into the computer. The Archos turned on by itself (like it's supposed to), the initial Archos screen was on the display, then it blacked out. I thought that was normal for the first hour or so.

While I was reading the instructions, it said that the display is supposed to be on when charging, and that the battery meter would indicate that it was charging. That wasn't happening. The screen was just dead. Also, I couldn't hear any hard drive spinning up or any audio or anything. I've been charging it (just in case) and it's been on for about 25 hours now (both through USB and AC adaptor) and no response from the unit. From the things I've tried and suggestions given by individuals at the unofficial archos forum, it seems the unit is a brick. Just bad luck probably. So, hopefully things will be better when I get the replacement.
post #19 of 56 Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoooon View Post

Basically, when I first got it, I plugged in the USB cable into the Archos, then plugged it into the computer. The Archos turned on by itself (like it's supposed to), the initial Archos screen was on the display, then it blacked out. I thought that was normal for the first hour or so.

While I was reading the instructions, it said that the display is supposed to be on when charging, and that the battery meter would indicate that it was charging. That wasn't happening. The screen was just dead. Also, I couldn't hear any hard drive spinning up or any audio or anything. I've been charging it (just in case) and it's been on for about 25 hours now (both through USB and AC adaptor) and no response from the unit. From the things I've tried and suggestions given by individuals at the unofficial archos forum, it seems the unit is a brick. Just bad luck probably. So, hopefully things will be better when I get the replacement.

Sound like mine when I first got it. While the USB is plugged into the unit hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds till the power LED turns off. Leave in pluged into an active USB port for 12hrs. or more and then give it a shot. I could never get it charged up when the screen was on. It seemed that that the battery was so low that the display would drain the battery faster than the USB could charge it. Due to the low output of USB you would need a cradle with AC power to charge it like that.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #20 of 56 Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Found a better way to get DVD video onto my 605. Since the 605 can play .vob files I use DVD Shrink to rip the .vob files into one large .VOB file. If anyone else uses this method be sure to set the maximum file size to less than 4GB or you will not be able to transfer it.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #21 of 56 Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

DVD shrink will work well with most dvds, but not with those that have some of the newer encryption schemes (i.e., Disney, etc.).

That is, unless they have recently upgraded this SW, this has been my experience, as well as what I have seen others post.

DVDFab HD has given me clean rips, but again, there are times when the AV sync is off (Disney again). Then you have to use other methods to get them in sync.

Video Redo has a "quick fix" option which fixes this issue mostly, but sometimes I'll still get the issue.

The last thing I'll do is use PSP Vid 9 or Videora iPod, with the ffmpeg setting "-async 30" which I'll practically guarantee will give you a good result.

SageTV actually has some pretty good conversion settings that make this a KISS process, but I'm sort of a control freak and like a smaller file size (for my 4gb mem stick for PSP) - but still with good quality.

If you want a simple solution, I'd say try SageTV's trial d/l and convert some files.

post #22 of 56 Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Check www.slysoft.com for AnyDVD and CloneDVD Mobile. Theres a time limited fully functional demo for both. They work in tangent to take the headache out of converting commercial DVD's for use with portables.
post #23 of 56 Old 09-15-2007, 03:08 PM

My other unit was a definite brick.

I got the replacement on Friday (awesome how you can still get stuff in 2 days or so even with the free shipping option). Works like a charm. For those interested, I'm using an ipod usb adaptor to charge it. Took me about 10 hours for a full charge out of the box (including playing with it).

Also, for those who haven't paid for the web plugin yet, go to dailymotion, channels, comedy, then search. Takes you to an "out of site" search engine. So you can do some web browsing for free. Kind of cumbersome, but it's free. I suggest just buying the web browser plug in.

Anyway, better sound quality than my 3G ipod. Awesome screen, great to browse the web without firing up the desktop or laptop, definitely worth the money. Haven't purchased the DVR station, so no personal experiences related to recording and what not.
post #24 of 56 Old 09-16-2007, 02:18 PM

Is it possible to view Hotmail messages.
What is the best way of converting DVDs to the Archos 605
post #25 of 56 Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 AM

DVDFab HD decrypter > AutoGK > Xvid/Mp3/700MB.

I just ordered the flash based 605 WiFi, and a SDHC 8GB class 6 card from NewEgg for $67, for a total 12GB. I never put more than 4-5 movies at one time on a PMP. I'm interested to see if the sound level, battery charge rate, etc. is the same or better than the hard drive models. The flash based 605 is a little slimmer, lighter, and should take a little more abuse from my kids. Has anyone had experience with the flash model 605 yet?
post #26 of 56 Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblews View Post

DVDFab HD decrypter > AutoGK > Xvid/Mp3/700MB.

I just ordered the flash based 605 WiFi, and a SDHC 8GB class 6 card from NewEgg for $67, for a total 12GB. I never put more than 4-5 movies at one time on a PMP. I'm interested to see if the sound level, battery charge rate, etc. is the same or better than the hard drive models. The flash based 605 is a little slimmer, lighter, and should take a little more abuse from my kids. Has anyone had experience with the flash model 605 yet?

Head on over to forum.archosfans.com. There is a thread there comparing battery life on the various models. Don't know what conclusions (if any) have been reached.

One cool thing is that you are able to stream media from your computer, so that sort of minimizes the liability that less storage space might represent (for some people).
post #27 of 56 Old 09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

"...I just ordered the flash based 605 WiFi..."

???Hey rblews, I'm not seeing that model at NewEgg. Can you post the model number? That is an Archos, right? Did you mean that you paid $67 total for both the PMP + memory card?

post #28 of 56 Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 AM

$67 for the 8GB SDHC memory. It is the Transcend brand, which received a lot of good reviews on NewEgg, including a few that are using it for video playback on PMPs. There are some class 4 SDHC cards for less; but for our purposes, I think we should be using the class 6 speed. I think we may be seeing 16GB SDHC cards at this price in a year from now. I like the concept of having movies, etc. on a small portable chip-- interchangeable with multiple devices.

I ordered the Archos 605 WiFi from Beach Audio (NewEgg does not have them in stock yet) for $220, plus $5 shipping. Expecting deliver tomorrow.
post #29 of 56 Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM

i have been contemplating between the archos 605 and the iPod Touch. i'm leaning heavily towards the archos due to the recording flexibility. having said that, i do not see an NTSC/ATSC RF input in the DVR station. i thought that this could be useful during vacations where you can pretty much bring the archos along as a portable DVR. however, most hotel rooms (and other countries) will only have a coax cable and no STB. any options on how to hook this up with the archos? thanks!
post #30 of 56 Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

From what I understand, there isn't a tuner, so you'll need to use composite os s video to record.
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page