Ipod Touch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 16gb this morning, and all I can say is this thing ROCKS! I think the you tube function is the most unrated feature by far. I've just spent several hours downloading various wierd things. Surfing the net works, but it takes some getting use to. The picture quality is stunning and fortunately, it fits everything I had for my 30gb. The only thing I don't like is the stand. It's small and stylish, but not very sturdy.

And yes, I typed this post on it while sitting in a wifi cafe. Forget the Archos, get the Touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked mine up today at lunch, so far very pleased. Works flawlessly and was really easy to set up and get going. Web browser quicker then I thought...but still not "fast". Video quality is what I expected (good) have not played with it enough to comment on anything else...but so far I am impressed and very pleased with this purchase.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM

I though this thing wasn't being released until the end of the month. Where are you guys picking these up at?

Format Neutral. Living in HD bliss with the A1, A30and PS3.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Read on engadget.com that select apple stores had an early shipment. I called my local apple store and they took delivery of 5 that morning and I had them reserve on for me.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post

Read on engadget.com that select apple stores had an early shipment. I called my local apple store and they took delivery of 5 that morning and I had them reserve on for me.

Best Buy had them yesterday too.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 AM

800x480 > 320x480

Just kidding. When they announced the touch, getting a 605 became a much more difficult decision for me.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 AM

can you guys post a screenshot of a song playing while in landscape orientation? does it make good use of the wider screen real estate? also, does the onscreen keyboard get bigger in landscape (not so with iPhone)?
post #8 of 17 Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Just thought I would chime in on this... I got a Touch, used it for a few days but, it had the negative black effect so I traded it back in and spent the extra $ to get the iPhone. Activated and disabled phone service so they are effectively the same device now. For the money - the Touch is a great player IMO but, the extra $ does get you considerably more on an iPhone even if you never use the phone functionality. Camera, microphone, speaker, bluetooth to name a few... Regardless,depending on your needs either device should fit nicely.

I compared it directly to my PSP as a media player and I felt that both the Touch and the iPhone were better sounding on the same MP3 file (using the same headphones). The screen, although smaller, was much "clearer" for video playback and color reproduction seemed better to me as well let alone taking into account the PSP's limited viewing angle. I was also able to comapre it directly to a friend's Archos (only for a limited time though) and although the Archos was the better video player IMO (the great screen and higher resolution video support) the Touch and iPhone were still better in audio.

With regards to the other features such as Internet browsing, user interface, size/form factor, battery life, storage capacity, etc there isn't much of a contest here. The Archos beats the Touch or iPhone in capacity (obviously) and (depending on usage) battery life. The PSP obviously would win for game support against any of these others devices but, would loose against any of them on capacity, battery life and all the other functions. However, for Internet, user interface and size/form factor the Touch/iPhone wins hands down.

And to be fair - capacity and all the other differences aside - the user interface (multi-touch) is such a revelation IMO that it outweighs many of the other factors (it did for me at least). Coverflow works and is beautiful on that screen, the tap-on video playback controls and pinch to zoom ability and a hundred other things are just unbelievably good.

Thanks to all...

Also, for memnoch2 - I wanted to add that the on-screen keyboard does indeed flip between landscape and portrait mode depending on the screen you're on. It is very similiar to the iPhone in that some apps only allow it in portrait mode but, Internet and most others allow you to flip between the 2 orientations as long as you "flip" before opening the keyboard itself. As to the landscape mode music playback, it automatically flips to Cover Flow so uses the whole screen but, mainly its just displaying the cover art and playback controls. Its perfect for selecting between songs/albums but won't help if you want to move the playhead or anything like that.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Davwin,
This is the first ive heard of activating and the disabling the phone service on the iphone, can you please explain the steps involved in doing that. And if you can i see you listed a couple of added features the iphone possess that the touch does not, are there any other important features or applications that differentiate the two devices.

Thanks in advance....appreciate any help you can give.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just replaced my week 37 with a week 39. I "think" it solved my negative black problem, but I swear the color had more pop on the previous model. Oh, well. At least I can watch the Matrix and can actually see what's going on. I still love this thing. Makes wait times in airports and boring lonely lunches easier to stomach.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 AM
EM3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a few questions.

Can you access a google calendar and add events? I have been reading and I understand (I think) that you can not add events to the calendar feature.

How do other videos look besides the You Tube videos?

What are the web surfing limitations?

Lastly what software do you use to put movies on your Ipod Touch?

Thanks for your help. I am looking real hard at the Touch.

The sky is pink it's time to drink!
post #12 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 AM

I have had mine for a few day's. I was messing around with the wi-fi and signal software which allows you to control itunes remotely. I have my outdoor speakers connected to my computer, I was able to choose songs, play lists and control volume from my yard. Works real good so far.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Just bought the wife a 16 gig touch. This was our households very first Ipod. After a week with it, I can honestly say that this thing is amazing. I think i might get my own in the form of an iphone!
post #14 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

looking for ipod touch speakers/dock
any good ones out there?
can i connect the ipod to my onkyo 705 and listen to music on my 5.1 HT set up?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Yes but you need to buy the Ipod adapter kit. Onkyo shop offers one http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=DS-A...=Accessory&p=i
I was thinking about getting one for my 705 as well.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Just got my 16gb.... I like it... Good buy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Just got my 16gb.... I like it... Good buy!
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page