post #31 of 43 Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

that test was done more than 4 years ago. aren't there any newer tests with recent ipods?

YEs, on this very forum. Look up posts by 'yuriv' with the word 'ipod' in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just a question for you more seasoned ipod & other portable media users. When using the line out(dock connector) from the ipod into other amps such as my cars aux. input or my home stereo, how does the ipod sound compared to other portable media players? I know using the dock connection versus the headphone amp connection is a big step up in sound quality but how does it compare to other players. Oh, I am also utilizing lossless compression on my newer music that I have bought.

Thanks everyone,

Brandon
post #33 of 43 Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Just a question for you more seasoned ipod & other portable media users. When using the line out(dock connector) from the ipod into other amps such as my cars aux. input or my home stereo, how does the ipod sound compared to other portable media players? I know using the dock connection versus the headphone amp connection is a big step up in sound quality but how does it compare to other players. Oh, I am also utilizing lossless compression on my newer music that I have bought.

Thanks everyone,

Brandon

What what I have experimented with since my OP. Its superior when using the Dock Connector. But I guess the dock connector you have to run Aux in to something has Red/White Phono plugs? I talked to a DJ that uses two 160GB ipods with lossless format. Runs it in Aux out of the Dock Connector. He loves it.
post #34 of 43 Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I do use a cable with the dock connection on one end to a red/white rca on the other end. For the car, its a dock connection into a 3.5mm headphone jack cable. Do you feel the Ipod holds its own in this regard versus other players?

Thanls for your help,

Looking for christmas ideas I guess.

Brandon
post #35 of 43 Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes I do use a cable with the dock connection on one end to a red/white rca on the other end. For the car, its a dock connection into a 3.5mm headphone jack cable. Do you feel the Ipod holds its own in this regard versus other players?

Thanls for your help,

Looking for christmas ideas I guess.

Brandon

What type of sound system do you have? If your using a stock (factory) sound sytem. Then yes, it does fine. But unless your running aftermarket speakers amplifier headunit, then your gunna need to use lossless format when every you rip music to your ipod
post #36 of 43 Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

My wifes car is a lexus IS250 & I have a aftermarket alpine system in my 4runner. So far I have been impressed with the 5G Ipod hooked it to either the car or home stereo. After reading some views in this thread I thought maybe the Ipod was a bad choice.

Brandon
post #37 of 43 Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My wifes car is a lexus IS250 & I have a aftermarket alpine system in my 4runner. So far I have been impressed with the 5G Ipod hooked it to either the car or home stereo. After reading some views in this thread I thought maybe the Ipod was a bad choice.

Brandon

No, that wasn't the problem in this forum. THe problem in this forum was bad quality music ripped into the Ipod. Im the one that had the problem (Im the OP). I have a full set of components with excellent highs, and the vocals of the low bit rate music sucked! They were crackle n' and stuff. I bumped the bit rate from 200kbps up to 1140kbps and now it sounds EXCELLENT. Theres really nothing better (as in mp3 wise). It all depends on the quality the sound is ripped at. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep with what you have.
post #38 of 43 Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I was reading too far into things. I had been reading different articles & etc just trying to determine how the ipods stacked up against other portable players(excluding ripping quality in the equation) by using the dock connection to home stereo & my cars.

Thanks again,
Brandon
post #39 of 43 Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post

No, that wasn't the problem in this forum. THe problem in this forum was bad quality music ripped into the Ipod. Im the one that had the problem (Im the OP). I have a full set of components with excellent highs, and the vocals of the low bit rate music sucked! They were crackle n' and stuff. I bumped the bit rate from 200kbps up to 1140kbps and now it sounds EXCELLENT. Theres really nothing better (as in mp3 wise). It all depends on the quality the sound is ripped at. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep with what you have.

There's no reason a 200kbps lossy compressed file has to sound as bad as you report. In fact if you do it right -- e.g. LAME encoder -- 192 kbps VBR would probably be indistinguishable from .wav to you. "1140 kbps ' is a .wav file.
You could get an EXACT playback reproduction of that, by using ALAC -- Apple's Lossless codec -- at maybe half the file size.

Something is clearly wrong with your ripping/lossy encoding/playback signal chain.
post #40 of 43 Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

There's no reason a 200kbps lossy compressed file has to sound as bad as you report. In fact if you do it right -- e.g. LAME encoder -- 192 kbps VBR would probably be indistinguishable from .wav to you. "1140 kbps ' is a .wav file.
You could get an EXACT playback reproduction of that, by using ALAC -- Apple's Lossless codec -- at maybe half the file size.

Something is clearly wrong with your ripping/lossy encoding/playback signal chain.

yup. that was pointed out before.

but he's happy now, so i guess that's all that matters...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #41 of 43 Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Then I guess theres a problem with itunes. Becasue thats what im using. Ive tried the exact same CD on ever setting (AAC, AIFF, MP3, Apple Lossless, WAV) and the only one, that I can rememebr that worked, was the WAV. I can't rememebr if the Apple Lossless worked or not.
post #42 of 43 Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Yeah line-out to an external amp should sound fine from an Ipod. I've found it to be approximately equal to CD and superior to Satellite or FM on a very modest system. 192kbps should sound like a CD in a noisy environment like a car.
post #43 of 43 Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
First off, I wouldn't call your car audio equipment high end. Mediocre is more like it. I have significantly more money in my car audio than $1300 and ripping at 320 is completely acceptable. I hear no crackling on my Q-Line MB Quart's. Of course lossless is nothing short of phenominal.
Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page