ipod and Zune? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My daughter is dying for a "Nano" for Xmas, so I've been researching mp3 players (mainly the ipod and zune) and thought I might get some helpful info from those in the know.

First...
Between the nano and the zune, which one is the better of the two. From what I've read, it seems like the nano is prone to break fairly easily, which would seem to be a bad idea to put one in the hands of an eleven year old child.

Second...
We have a ton of mp3's already on the computer, are both players capable of being loaded up with these? Or do you have to load the players with songs exclusively from their respective websites?

Obviously, I'm rather new to the whole "ipod" craze and I really don't have a clue about them other then what I've read, and I would really appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddshift69 View Post

My daughter is dying for a "Nano" for Xmas

Get with the program - get the Nano!!

Do you want her to be the only kid on the planet with a Zune!?

I really can't believe that ANYONE would even consider getting a Zune.

Here is what the New York Times recently said about it.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 56 Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you want her to be the only kid on the planet with a Zune!?

Being unique is good, right?

It makes no difference to me which one she has, but as dainty as the nano is, it seems like it would get broken in a heartbeat.
post #4 of 56 Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The iPod is a far better machine because of one thing:

INFASTRUCTURE

There is a vast universe of accessories designed to work with iPod. Heck, most cars will allow you to play the iPod through the factory stereo. The Zune doesn't have jack for accessories.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...od_accessories

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #5 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM

For a 11 year old girl I don't think it really matters. I'm no pro on these, don't even have one yet, but I think I may get the zune for no other reason that I can play it through my xbox 360. I don't have to worry abut buying a dock to play it on.

Plus I like the bigger screen.
post #6 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

My daughter is dying for a "Nano" for Xmas, so I've been researching mp3 players (mainly the ipod and zune) and thought I might get some helpful info from those in the know.
First...
Between the nano and the zune, which one is the better of the two. From what I've read, it seems like the nano is prone to break fairly easily, which would seem to be a bad idea to put one in the hands of an eleven year old child.
Second...
We have a ton of mp3's already on the computer, are both players capable of being loaded up with these? Or do you have to load the players with songs exclusively from their respective websites? Obviously, I'm rather new to the whole "ipod" craze and I really don't have a clue about them other then what I've read, and I would really appreciate your help.

Yes, both players should be able to play your existing MP3's.

If your daughter perfers the Nano, don't get the Zune (even though it is a fine MP3 player). I would get the Nano. Buy a case to protect it.

post #7 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"For a 11 year old girl I don't think it really matters"

Are you serious!?

The social environment that she lives in is EVERYTHING ! Why do you think she wants a "Nano" to start with? Because all of her friends have Nanos. The white ear buds are a badge of social acceptability!

There is nothing particularly fragile about the Nano. It has no mass should it be dropped. I was concerned about it getting scratched so when I bought the 8GB unit for my son last Christmas, I picked up a matching black protective "skin", transparent screen cover and USB wall charger (bundle) off eBay for a few bucks. [Added: see pic below of an 11-year-old girl version of the bundle from eBay]

My son has carried his Nano with him 24hrs/day for the last year and it still looks brand new. And he has never expressed ANY interest in any form of docking station - those are for old people.

[Editted when I got off my PPC and back to my desktop computer ]

THIS KIT FROM EBAY SELLER "ACCESSORY EXPORT" SOLD FOR ~$13 AND INCLUDES:

(1) Premium Armband Color Pink

(1) Pink skin for ipod nano

(1) Screen Protector for ipod nano

(1) Premium Home / Travel Charger with IC Chip to Prevent Overcharging

(1) Premium Rapid Car Charger with IC Chip to Prevent Overcharging

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #8 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The iPod plays through the Xbox 360 USB port beautifully.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...media/ipod.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post

For a 11 year old girl I don't think it really matters. I'm no pro on these, don't even have one yet, but I think I may get the zune for no other reason that I can play it through my xbox 360. I don't have to worry abut buying a dock to play it on.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #9 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The bigger screen, higher capacity, and the FM radio, is why I'm leaning more towards the Zune at this point. I'm trying to balance between what she wants and what I think she will get the most use out of. I know that the whole social acceptance issue is important for kids, but I'd like to get her something that will provide her with some long term use. Plus, she might be the envy of all the kids if she's sporting the spanking new 80G Zune.

Another quick question...
Are both of these capable of having DVD movies stored on them? If I rip a movie onto the computer can I then load it onto the player?

Thanks fellas.
post #10 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Technically I consider the Zune a superior player, and the 80gb Zune will be my next PMP. But then again I hate the crap quality of the AACs iTunes sells (Lossless audio FTW) and the iPods average at best sound processing.

That being said I'm an 18 year old college freshman who prefers to be unique and actually has a good ear for sound quality. When I was a sophomore in high school I was the second kid in my school to get an iPod (4G) and the only kid in my class to have one, I thought I was a god!

Face facts iPods are hip, when you're eleven being unique isn't going to impress your friends (and I assume this is far worse for girls) having the latest cool stuff is whats unfortunately important. Your daughter is not going to see any shortcoming in the iPod or it's audio quality or the dreck Apple passes off as music in the iTunes store. She'll be very content listening to her low bitrate music through her nano through Apple's awful stock headphones and she'll love her shiny pretty iPod and her friends won't laugh at her for having a Zune.

As for movies, I dunno about the Zune but I do know it's a bitch to get anything other than video you buy on the iTunes store on an iPod.
post #11 of 56 Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
if you have music already that she likes it can be recorded from her or your cd's
on the nano at a higher bit rate for better sound but i don't think 11 year olds are
all that concerned with hi-fi but more of fitting in with peer pressure and having
the same or better heck if you want to one up get the 80 or 160 gb i-pod then she
would be the envy of her nano friends.
post #12 of 56 Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

My suggestion would be to go with the 80 gb Zune as the larger screen (3.2") and FM radio would be a lot cooler than a has been iPod which is no longer inovative (been on top for too long so they got lazy on further development). The zune also wireless connectivity/Sync ability as well as wireless sharing with other zune owners.

For more comparison info, try this link: http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

Micah
post #13 of 56 Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Also, if you order your zune from www.zuneoriginals.com, you can have a custom image and text inscribed on the back.

Micah
post #14 of 56 Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty View Post

My suggestion would be to go with the 80 gb Zune as the larger screen (3.2") and FM radio would be a lot cooler than a has been iPod which is no longer inovative (been on top for too long so they got lazy on further development). The zune also wireless connectivity/Sync ability as well as wireless sharing with other zune owners.

For more comparison info, try this link: http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

I think people are missing the point. This girl is 11. She doesn't care about any of the features you or I would find appealing. She wants an iPod Nano because it's small, cute, cool, and her friends have one. She's not gonna get a Zune and say "O yay it's got a bigger screen for all those videos I'm not gonna watch on it, an FM radio I'm not gonna use, and the ability to wirelessly sync with the Zune's my friends don't have. Who wants an iPod anyway they're not innovative". No that's not how it works. She doesn't want a Zune, hell she'd probably be disappointed with an iPod Classic, she wants what she thinks is cool and what her friends think is cool because, i'll say this again, SHE IS AN 11 YEAR OLD GIRL!
post #15 of 56 Old 12-10-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

I think people are missing the point. This girl is 11. She doesn't care about any of the features you or I would find appealing. She wants an iPod Nano because it's small, cute, cool, and her friends have one. She's not gonna get a Zune and say "O yay it's got a bigger screen for all those videos I'm not gonna watch on it, an FM radio I'm not gonna use, and the ability to wirelessly sync with the Zune's my friends don't have. Who wants an iPod anyway they're not innovative". No that's not how it works. She doesn't want a Zune, hell she'd probably be disappointed with an iPod Classic, she wants what she thinks is cool and what her friends think is cool because, i'll say this again, SHE IS AN 11 YEAR OLD GIRL!

Actually those are a couple of reasons why I think she would ultimately be happier with the Zune. She does listen to the radio fairly often (hip hop station of course) and since she loves to watch movies and such, she would probably be happier with the larger screen. A couple of her friends have ipod classics, but I honestly think that the main reason for wanting a nano is because it's available in green. I'm going to take her to Best Buy this weekend so I can feel the situation out a bit and hopefully let her make the decision without realizing that she's making it.
post #16 of 56 Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I had exactly this dilemma last Christmas. My daughter wanted a video iPod, and I showed her the Zune. In spite of my telling her that the Zune had a bigger screen and FM, she opted for the iPod. A girl's got to "accessorize" and be fashionable, if she's the princessy type...

[Sigh] Whatever happened to the good old days of being happy with a new pair of jeans or a jacket?

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #17 of 56 Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
ran this by my friends daughter she's 13 not 11 but same response she wants a new
nano because thats what her friends have.
post #18 of 56 Old 12-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Liked: 11
Folks,

I have gone through all the messages in this thread. If I summarize it:

Purely on technical merits - buy Zune
For social acceptance - buy iPod

My son is just 8 years old. He is just too young to even care about social acceptance. I guess my choice is made.

Vrushali
post #19 of 56 Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrushali View Post

Purely on technical merits - buy Zune

Yeah ... same as "Betamax".

I have a lot of Beta tapes (and a couple of players) ... perhaps you would like those too?!

OTOH, you are probably too young to know what I am talking about.

" - MLK

post #20 of 56 Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The biggest reason to buy a Zune wasn't mentioned in this thread -- subscription service.

With the Zune, you can pay $15/mo and get unlimited access to any of the 3+ million songs. You can download thousands of new songs to your Zunes -- two of them -- every month and it doesn't cost you one cent more than $15/mo. Basically, it is Netflix for music. Apple does not have anything of the sort for the iPod.

Thanks to subscription service, I have listened to thousands of songs over the past several years without buying (or illegally downloading) a single CD.
post #21 of 56 Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually those are a couple of reasons why I think she would ultimately be happier with the Zune. She does listen to the radio fairly often (hip hop station of course) and since she loves to watch movies and such, she would probably be happier with the larger screen. A couple of her friends have ipod classics, but I honestly think that the main reason for wanting a nano is because it's available in green. I'm going to take her to Best Buy this weekend so I can feel the situation out a bit and hopefully let her make the decision without realizing that she's making it.

As others have said, get your daughter a Nano if that is what she wants. She will be very disappointed if you don't. It has nothing to do with features and it has everything to do with social acceptance.

Don't confuse a daughter with a son. If you have a daughter, and care about her happiness, you buy her what she wants, not what you like or what you think is best. If you -- as her father -- push her to a Zune, she may accept it, but she won't be happy.
post #22 of 56 Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I think she would ultimately be happier with the Zune."

Man, you are the most oblivious rope pusher I've come across recently.

" - MLK

post #23 of 56 Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Yeah ... same as "Betamax".

I have a lot of Beta tapes (and a couple of players) ... perhaps you would like those too?!

OTOH, you are probably too young to know what I am talking about.

I don't think you can compare the Zune to Betamax. Buying Betamax was supporting a format that inevitably failed and left you with a worthless player, although technically superior, movie player.

Buying a Zune over an iPod is different. First of all you're not supporting a format, you're buying a device that plays at least one format the iPod supports as well and the most common way to encode music, MP3. Even if MS's Zune division goes under (which doesn't look probable as it's holding up pretty well) your player will still play all the formats you bought it for (presumably MP3 and WMA).

Beyond that the Zune is a technically superior player for the simple fact that it's sound processing is great for a PMP whereas the iPods is average at best.

All this being said I still support my earlier argument of buy your daughter an iPod because that's what her friends have.
post #24 of 56 Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The biggest reason to buy a Zune wasn't mentioned in this thread -- subscription service...Thanks to subscription service, I have listened to thousands of songs over the past several years without buying (or illegally downloading) a single CD.

Hey bfdtv - do those d/l songs expire, or are they yours to keep indefinitely (barring hard drive failure, etc.)?
Sounds like a steal at $15/month...

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #25 of 56 Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Radagast View Post

Hey bfdtv - do those d/l songs expire, or are they yours to keep indefinitely (barring hard drive failure, etc.)?
Sounds like a steal at $15/month...

They are yours to use as much as you want...until you cancel service.

These subscription services require you to connect your player to the service -- with the Zune, that happens via WiFi -- once a month to reauthorize your tracks.

The $15/mo gets you unlimited music on two different Zunes (plus your computers).
post #26 of 56 Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nano also has the 'cool factor' and 'accessory power' that she also wants, but isn't telling you.

It'd be like her saying "I want xyz brand of shoes!" and you researching to see "GenericShoes are just as good"...And buying GenericShoes ... and she will hate it.

Get the Nano.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #27 of 56 Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

ive got the green zune4 myself... sold one of the new nanos for one (bought both and planned on selling the one i didnt like). the zune4 just feels better in my hand (and i hate the mini scrollwheel on the nanos)

if you do get a zune get it from zune originals.... and let her pick the artwork on the back. really gives it that extra flare and personalizes it. i got the engraving done on mine and it comes out really nice.
post #28 of 56 Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM

I wouldn't get either one for myself, but I would get the Nano for a young girl. It's like a barbie doll--you get to accessorize and what not to make it even "cooler." Plus it has the itunes interface that people seem to like for whatever reason. I was looking at the cases for these things the other day at the apple store and they have nice hard plastic ones that keep it protected w/o covering up what is a pretty slick looking device.
post #29 of 56 Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM

It's like asking for a Wii for Christmas and getting an Xbox 360 or PS3.
Can you make the case the Xbox/PS3 is technically superior? Yes.
Does that mean your daughter won't be disappointed? NO.

She asked for a Nano, anything else is an insufficient substitute no matter the specs or opinions of those on this (or any) tech board.

Heck, I'm about 20 years older than this girl and I'D be pissed if I got a Zune if I asked for a Nano.
post #30 of 56 Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
if she wants an ipod, get her an ipod...

i'm not familiar enough with the newest generation ones, but i have 2 of the previous generation nanos, and they are relatively indestructible...

fwiw, my (at the time of purchase) 46 year old wife got an ipod mini... and that was what she asked for... and was the only thing that would do... so it's not limited to 13 year old girls...

we also have a shuffle and an 80 gigger (which gets WHUPPED by the cool factor of the nano )...

frankly, a bit of the "technical superiority" of the zune is overstated... but that's imo... however, the user interface of the ipod is unmatched (another imo)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page