Phillips 47PFL7422D/37 dvi->hdmi problem - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Phillips 47PFL7422D/37 dvi->hdmi problem
Axilleus's Avatar Axilleus 06:44 PM 03-01-2008
Hi

I recently purchased this 47" full HD LCD tv and I must say it is a good one. The picture is awesome, I like the design and it has a lot of inputs.
BUT...
I have a problem with dvi->hdmi with the Philips 47PFL7422D/37 LCD TV.
The graphic card is nVidia GeForce 8600GT with a DVI out (on the box it says it is HDCP compatible).
I am using a dvi-hdmi cable. When I connect the LCD tv I can see it in the nVidia Control Panel on the computer. When I send the signal (mirror or dual-view) I get a "Unsupported Video Format" message on the LCD tv.
I tried all 3 hdmi inputs on the lcd tv, tried to change the resolution and the refresh rate, but nothing helped me get rid of the "Unsupported Video Format" message. The cable is good because I tested it on a Panasonic 37" 720p LCD tv.
After couple of hours of trying, I called the Philips Technical Assistance and they said something about a compliance/compatibility issue.

Did anyone run into this or a similar issue and was it resolved?
Thank you all.

koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 03:43 PM 03-20-2008
YAY!
I'm not the only one. I thought there might be something actually wrong with my TV but we seem to have pretty much the same problem with the same video card.
I'm using a XFX 8600GTS. I can get the TV to show video, but every few seconds it flickers out and says unsupported video and comes back. This is at every resoultion I try all the way down to 800x600. TechSupport didnt tell me anything about compatibility issue. Anywho I got a friend with a ATI X800pro. Were gonna try that out and see if it can at least show that. I'll holla back with my findings.

TV Firmware Q531U-0.59.31.0
Nvidia Driver: 169.21
Vid Card XFX 8600 GTS

------------------------------UPDATE--------------------------
Well i treid swapping out the vid card for a spare one i had lying around
8500 GT
POOF all the prolblems have dissapeared, that leads me to believe there is an issue with this TV and 8600 series cards.
I would try updating my TV's firmware and see if that fixes the issue but apparently theres a incompatibility issue with the TV and my SanDisk Micro 2.0 GB USB stick as well >.<<br /> After work tonight ill try and get another USB drive and see if i can update the firmware to see if that fixes my vid card issue.

What firmware are you using?
-------------------------------UPDATE # 2 ----------------------
Upgraded the TV's firmware to Q531U-0.64.14.11
Still has the same issues. I hope this is something they can fix with another Firmware update.

I called Philips' Support line and gave them all the information I know on this problem, hopefully they can get something done about it, don't really care to update
my graphics card atm.
billweberx's Avatar billweberx 11:40 PM 03-24-2008
hey.. koolaidkitten, any word from Phillips? I too have a conflict with the Phillips TV mentioned and the XFX GeForce 8800GT graphics board. During bootup, I see the windows logo, then "Unsupported Format" message. I'm bummed since I really want to use this card. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 07:10 PM 03-25-2008
nope I went thru Phillips tech support and they know nothing of the issue. I gave them all that I know. Will they fix it with a firmware? Probably cause now we know more than the 8600s have a problem, if it is the whole 8000 series that covers a lot of customers so Phillips will probably try to track down the issue. The question is just how long will it take for their programmers to find a fix.

Now another thing I would like to know, is this a Nvidia 8000 series issue...or an issue with XFX's 8000 series cards cause its funny how all 3 of us are using XFX.

BTW, is it just me, or is philips TechSupport line really great? It never takes long to get to a human, they all seem to speak english, they are very helpful, and they dont treat me like an idiot. I'm not really used to all that these days.

I wonder if this is just an XFX thing. My BFG 8500 has no issue.
billweberx's Avatar billweberx 10:24 AM 03-28-2008
Thanks kk for the update. You may be right about XFX. Maybe I should return the board to Fry's and get an 8800GT from another vendor. I'll post back with the results.

--------------- Update 1

I swapped the XFX 8800 for an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT (1GB DDR3). At first I thought it was going to work. It was looking good. After about 5 minutes, the signal would drop out for a couple seconds at a time. Then it would flicker in and out. At times is would go away for a minute or two leaving the "Unsupported Video Format" message on the screen. After some fooling with resulutions, I gave up. The board's going back. I guess I will have to go away from the GeForce line of boards. Any suggestions for a decent one that will work with the Phillips TV? Thanks.
robck's Avatar robck 01:59 AM 04-10-2008
I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy (KFA2) GeForce 9600 GT, using DVI-HDMI Cable

It will display fine upon boot-up but once it goes into windows the display disappears and displays "Unsupported Video Format"

It displays also fine when you use the standard vga adapter driver, but not with the Forceware drivers. which leads me to believe that it may be something to do with the Nvidia drivers?

I don't have another HDTV to test on to see if it really is a Philips TV problem or Nvidia driver problem.

This is very frustrating, and I'm thinking i may have to go AMD instead.

But then i'd be stuck with a 200 dollar video card that I can't even return.
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 07:02 AM 04-10-2008
I feel your pain, this is indeed annoying.
Everyone make sure you make a detailed phone call to Philips Tech Support line, the more people that call the more likely they are to fix this issue.
MacFlash's Avatar MacFlash 08:30 AM 04-10-2008
Just a heads up to those considering purchasing a Philips TV, thought this may influence your decision. Philips has entered an agreement with Funai, maker of bargain brands such as Sylvania that allows Funai to sell TVs in North America under the Philips name. Profitibility in the North American Market is the reason given for this move. See the following link
www-digitalhome-ca/content/view/2432/206/
(Sorry, they won't let me post links)
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 02:12 PM 04-10-2008
Heres a revised list of the culprit vid cards. So far seems to be an Nvidia thing.
XFX 8600 GT
XFX 8600 GTS
XFX 8800 GT
EVGA 8800 GT
Galaxy (KFA2) 9600 GT
robck's Avatar robck 02:47 PM 04-10-2008
have any of you guys tried an older version of Nvidia Drivers? to see if they work.

I know my gf's computer is an HP m9040, which has an Nvidia 8400GS or SE, i don't remember, but it has a dedicated HDMI port and that worked fine on the Philips TV.

Her driver version is the latest for that card is:
Version: 169.25
Release Date: December 20, 2007
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 31.8 MB

So the question here now is, is it an Nvidia Driver problem? or Specific Card manufacturer problem, or Philips LCD TV problem?

Lets see if we can find a solution.
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 06:44 AM 04-12-2008
Currently on my 8600 GTS using the Latest
Version: 169.21
Release Date: December 19, 2007
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 43.8 MB

I'm having trouble finding an older version.
When I find one ill try it out and post my results
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 05:03 PM 05-07-2008
They just released a new firmware recently
Q531U-0.64.14.18
It doesn't seem to correct this issue still ; ;
robck's Avatar robck 05:06 PM 05-07-2008
I just gave up, sold off my GeForce 9600GT and bought an AMD 3870

Works perfect, no problems at all with the Philips 42" LCD TV.

Something seems fishy with Nvidia and their drivers, before I use to think that Nvidia was better than ATI.. errr AMD, but now i think they're both the same.
Ehegi's Avatar Ehegi 10:45 AM 07-22-2008
I have this exact same issue on an EVGA GTX 280 running 177.41. My 47PFL7422D/37 is running Q531U-0.64.14.18 firmware. Same Unsupported Video Format message as others with occasional video flickering in and out. The really funny thing is, if I set my main computer monitor, a 24" Dell, to 1920x1080 and hotswap DVI cables such that the computer still thinks my dell monitor is connected instead of the TV, I get a perfect stable picture on the TV. However, as soon as the graphics driver does anything to recheck the monitor attached, the problem comes back. This is somewhat similar to the fact that the display works while loading BIOS but fails once windows drivers load. I think the problem is the signal that the card is sending to the TV. My dell supports 1920x1080 at 60hz just fine, however, when I do the hotswap and make the card send the TV signal to the dell, the dell says "out of signal range." So basically, the hdtv signal doesn't work on any of displays it theoretically should work on. There is definitely something fishy with the nvidia drivers and this panel such that it sends a bad signal or something to the panel. I have two video cards in this system: the GTX 280 and a 8400 GS. The TV works perfectly on the 8400 GS. The ideal setup is to get the TV and my main monitor on the GTX 280 and my 2ndary LCD on the 8400 GS since I'd like to game on my primary and TV. However, as it is, I am only able to drive the TV on the 8400 GS which limits the TV to watching videos :-(.

I have tried everything from using two different DVI>adapters: a DVI-D dual link (the GTX 280 wouldn't even detect the TV with this adapter even though the 8400 GS worked perfectly with it) and a DVI-D single link (GTX 280 picks up the TV just fine and everything on the computer end suggests no problems except that the TV displays unsupported video format and an occasional image for a split second every 15s or so). I have tried all manners of combinations of resolutions and refresh timings. Even going as far as creating a custom resolution setting in nvidia's control panel and trying to manually adjust the refresh timing in increments. My suspicion is that since the picture comes in every now and then, there is an issue with the signal timing. Most of the time, the signal is "out of phase" but every now and then, because of the out of sync timings, some of the signal comes "in-phase" enough to display a stable picture for a split second before going out of phase again. Who knows if this is correct. I am now out of ideas. Just going to deal with the TV on the 8400 GS for now until a fix is found, I guess.
razvanescu's Avatar razvanescu 05:08 PM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehegi View Post

I have this exact same issue on an EVGA GTX 280 running 177.41. My 47PFL7422D/37 is running Q531U-0.64.14.18 firmware. Same Unsupported Video Format message as others with occasional video flickering in and out. The really funny thing is, if I set my main computer monitor, a 24" Dell, to 1920x1080 and hotswap DVI cables such that the computer still thinks my dell monitor is connected instead of the TV, I get a perfect stable picture on the TV. However, as soon as the graphics driver does anything to recheck the monitor attached, the problem comes back. This is somewhat similar to the fact that the display works while loading BIOS but fails once windows drivers load. I think the problem is the signal that the card is sending to the TV. My dell supports 1920x1080 at 60hz just fine, however, when I do the hotswap and make the card send the TV signal to the dell, the dell says "out of signal range." So basically, the hdtv signal doesn't work on any of displays it theoretically should work on. There is definitely something fishy with the nvidia drivers and this panel such that it sends a bad signal or something to the panel. I have two video cards in this system: the GTX 280 and a 8400 GS. The TV works perfectly on the 8400 GS. The ideal setup is to get the TV and my main monitor on the GTX 280 and my 2ndary LCD on the 8400 GS since I'd like to game on my primary and TV. However, as it is, I am only able to drive the TV on the 8400 GS which limits the TV to watching videos :-(.

I have tried everything from using two different DVI>adapters: a DVI-D dual link (the GTX 280 wouldn't even detect the TV with this adapter even though the 8400 GS worked perfectly with it) and a DVI-D single link (GTX 280 picks up the TV just fine and everything on the computer end suggests no problems except that the TV displays unsupported video format and an occasional image for a split second every 15s or so). I have tried all manners of combinations of resolutions and refresh timings. Even going as far as creating a custom resolution setting in nvidia's control panel and trying to manually adjust the refresh timing in increments. My suspicion is that since the picture comes in every now and then, there is an issue with the signal timing. Most of the time, the signal is "out of phase" but every now and then, because of the out of sync timings, some of the signal comes "in-phase" enough to display a stable picture for a split second before going out of phase again. Who knows if this is correct. I am now out of ideas. Just going to deal with the TV on the 8400 GS for now until a fix is found, I guess.

Hi there. I'm new here but I have a similar problem and I thought you might be able to help me with some answers. So here I go:
I recently aquired a GTX 280 and when I tried hooking it up to my HDTV (Sony KDL-40W3000) the screen was blank. Also, no sound whatsoever. No flicker... nothing. I used the first HDMI port (AV5) which is usually the same port I use my PS3 with (don't ask me why... poor logistics I think). Before the PS3 worked just fine and my former 7950GT graphics board also worked fine, but now NOTHING works (PS3, PC whatever). I tried switching cables but to no effect. However, when I switch my PS3 to one of the other two HDMI ports it works just fine. Haven't tried any of them before so I'm a little scared of trying out the PC because I'm afraid the same thing will happend. The funny thing is when I hooked the PC to the TV, the PC recognized it as Sony HDTV , but no answer on the TV end. I don't know what's going on and it makes me crazy. Is it a hardware problem? Did I fry the HDMI port?
I read a former post of yours and you said something about replacing a board that helped you with the connection between the PC and the TV. Do I have to do the same? Please help.
Thank you.
P.S. I'm sorry for the poor English but I'm not a native speaker.
Liberator's Avatar Liberator 10:23 AM 07-30-2008
I own the same 52# version (52PFL7422D/37) of the same TV (I am a Philips employee and bought it at the company store). I just upgraded my Gigabyte 7800GT videocard to a BFG 280GTX and also lost the picture. Everything worked fine on the 7800GT but with the 280GTX combined with this TV I get "unsupported video format" as well. My TV is also correctly recognized in windows XP and I have tried tweaking the settings to no avail. It is clearly a problem with this specific TV series combined with the newer generations of NVidia graphics cards.

I did discover that when I get the image on my PC TFT setup correctly and then swap the cables without changing any settings I get picture on my TV albeit way to small of course and no picture on my TFT. My TFT is a Samsung SyncMaster 930BF (I don't think that matters). If I keep the TFT plugged in WindowsXP autodetects my cable swap after a few minutes and then changes this back. If I leave the TFT cable unplugged I can keep the small desktop on my TV. It is small because my TFT runs native on 1280 rez while the TV is 1980 rez although you might expect the image to be streched across the screen. *EDIT: just read that Ehegi made the same discovery 2 posts up *

I got the latest firmware for the TV at the time of my post but that didn't make any difference. I also used the latest NVidia drivers.

There is a discussion on the NVidia board regarding this here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=71391
Ehegi's Avatar Ehegi 12:55 PM 11-03-2008
Hi all. So a solution to this issue has been found. I originally came onto this solution from this post: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...dpost&p=453829 However his post is very brief and the guide he references isn't exactly accurate for the GTX 280 so I'm going to write a new summary here.

Quick rundown of the issue and solution. So the basic rundown: The problem is that the driver is sending bad info to the tv based off the EDID info the TV is sending to the card. For whatever reason, the pairing of these Philips TVs and the GTX 280 (and some other nvidia cards) just don't play well together. The solution is to modify the inf file of the driver and tell it to ignore the EDID data from the TV altogether.

To do this, you will need to uninstall your current driver and then reinstall the drivers using a modified inf file.

1) Download the latest nvidia drivers and let it extract the installation files. After it extracts the files and goes into the installation wizard, cancel. You don't want to install quite yet.

2) Go to the folder with the extracted files. (Most of the time, this will be in C:\\NVIDIA\\)

3) Find the file called nv_disp.inf and open it using notepad.

4) So here's where things get a little complicated. You need to add the following line into the inf file in a section called [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x]:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 41,0C,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

Beware there is also a section called [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]. This governs other cards such as the 8xxx series 9xxx series etc. Adding it there will not solve your GTX280 problems.

5) So. I lied a bit. The above line isn't necessarily what you need. The first 4 hex numbers are the EDID identifier for your TV. It is going to be different depending on the TV you have. That line is going to tell your card to ignore the EDID info for a monitor broadcasting that EDID. For my TV (42" 42PFL7422D/37), it was 41,0C,00,00. However, unless you have the same TV as me, your EDID number will be different. The following is how you find out what your ID is.

6) Get MonInfo: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe and install it.

7) With your TV hooked up to your computer, run MonInfo and you will see that there's is a pane called Display IDs. Find your TV among the displays listed there and look at the Raw Data pane. You need the 4 hex numbers in bytes 8-11. So basically, starting with the 1st cell in 2nd line (that is byte 8) and then the subsequent 3 cells, that is the EDID tag of your TV.

8) Use that as the 1st 4 hex bytes of that line I mentioned above.

9) Save the inf file and install the drivers. The installer will now complain that the drivers are unsigned because you modified the inf file. Don't worry about it and install them anyway.

10) Restart your computer and voila! Your tv will now work correctly.
koolaidkitten's Avatar koolaidkitten 08:33 AM 11-05-2008
cool beans
too bad i alredy ditched the card for a Radeon
Liberator's Avatar Liberator 10:17 AM 11-10-2008
Thanks for the post, I read that one to.
I'll try it as soon as I get my new HDMI cable (Tuesday) and I'll post my EDID for people who have the 52" version like me.
perdavis's Avatar perdavis 01:44 PM 12-16-2008
Am I the only one that this fix does not work for? I have the same TV with a Geforce 8500.
_Shorty's Avatar _Shorty 01:51 AM 01-24-2009
I tried this, and lost sound over HDMI now. Any ideas?
gemma_k's Avatar gemma_k 06:16 AM 05-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shorty View Post

I tried this, and lost sound over HDMI now. Any ideas?

I have a similar problem.
I have a 9800gt, with Vista 32bit.
I get a perfect picture on my Phillips 47"
However, although I have it plugged in HDMI-->HDMI, in the nvidia the only connection option for the TV is DVI (so no sound). I cannot select HDMI connection.

Does anyone know how to force the HDMI connection to appear, so I can force the audio passthru to appear?

I know the TV worked find with the mobo HDMI connection but I am about ready to throw the nvidia card in the bin
Up
Mobile  Desktop