Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From new press release:

Quote:

Series 7 750 Full HD LCD TV

In addition to the innovative ‘Touch of Color’ design, InfoLink RSS feature and overall superior picture quality found in the Series 6 650, Samsung's Series 7 750 features internal flash memory loaded with premium content to enjoy right out of the box, including high resolution artwork, cooking recipes, exercise routines, children's programming, and games. With the Series 7 750 LCD, Samsung offers the ultimate interactive HDTV that can be a central part of any home and used by any member of the family.

The Series 7 750 LCD also includes enhanced networking and multimedia management with Wiselink Pro™. With the ability to play MPEG4 and DiVX video files as well as MP3 music and JPEG photos, consumers can access content from external devices by connecting to the side-mount USB 2.0 port. With Wiselink Pro the Series 7 750 becomes an ideal entertainment hub for consumers who utilize online movie-downloading services and seek to enjoy the widescreen viewing experience unavailable on the traditional PC. Additionally, the Series 7 750 LCD is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant allowing consumers to easily share content with other DLNA certified products.

Continuing in Samsung's commitment to provide a higher level of convenience to consumers of the Series 7 750 LCD, the Wheel-Key Remote that comes with the HDTV is enabled with a touch-sensitive feature that immediately illuminates the remote when picked up. Providing a small, but significant convenience, this touch-sensitive remote is ideal for navigating your HDTV and home theater when viewing a movie in a dark setting.

The Series 7 750 LCD HDTVs will be available in May of 2008 in the following sizes: 39.9-inches, 45.9-inches and 52.0-inches (Model numbers LN40A750, LN46A750 and LN52A750).

They forgot to mention the woofer....

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...20080423005450

-Chris
post #153 of 321 Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

we need more owner pics
post #154 of 321 Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob97ag View Post

If you are an AAA member and log onto your acct...there is a tab for Discounts. Got to Retail Services and it's under there. You can then click on it and it takes you to the CC site, and at the end before hit submit...you will see the 8% taken off. Not a bad deal.

Now I am wondering if I should just get the 650...since it's not about $500 less than the 750 at Big River. Haven't had a chance to even open my 750 yet. Decions, decision...

Rob

Thanx man.
post #155 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanoje View Post

what I see is on the outer edge... the light is leaking or somehow being transferred to the outer edge.... there is also a rainbow effect... a seperate phenomenon occuring on the outer edge too... which is a little less distracting i think... and can only be viewed at slightly more severe angles than the halo effect... I can only see the rainbow effect with the light(s) on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb215 View Post

The light is definitely only on the outer edge of the bezel, not the inside where the pinstripping goes. The light travels through the bezel much like fiber optics works. Lets say the screen is split down the middle (like the 120hz demo does) and the left is red and the right is green. The outer bezel edge would be green and red respectively depending on the colors of the screen outer most pixels on the screen, follow me? The Bezel is a thick piece of either glass or composite. Id assume if you take any piece of glass and shine a light down the edge it would run through it to the other side and display the same situation. covering up the outer edge did nothing to fix the issue, the only complete way I found to fix it was at the source(inner edge) or tilting the screen, but tilting it only fixed one edge at a time --top or bottom, if you tilt enough for the top to go away then the bottom is still reflecting.

Thank you for the replies. So it seems there's two things going on here.

A Halo type glow which is caused by light from the screen leaking through a gap between the inner edge of the bezel and the screen itself and travelling to the edge.

There's also the refraction of surrounding light at the bezel edges giving the prism / rainbow effect.

Blimey. Still hasn't put me off, but I hope it doesn't prove too distracting.

Quote:

The remote IMO gets a thumbs down due to the loss of the "screen size" button as the 650 remote has ...

It's a shame they sacrificed the screen size button (presumably for access to the media features).

I don't know what the situation is with you guys in the US, but over here in England we still have many programmes broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio rather than widescreen 16:9 (or the wide movie ratios).

As a result I regularly use the screen size button on my current Samsung LCD to get the correct ratios displayed.
post #156 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 AM

I think these are one in the same IMO (halo and rainbow), if the light didn't come through the bezel glass both issues are gone. I haven't had time, does anyone have a good ruler to measure the inside edge of the screen bezel.

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post

Thank you for the replies. So it seems there's two things going on here.

A Halo type glow which is caused by light from the screen leaking through a gap between the inner edge of the bezel and the screen itself and travelling to the edge.

There's also the refraction of surrounding light at the bezel edges giving the prism / rainbow effect.

Blimey. Still hasn't put me off, but I hope it doesn't prove too distracting.

It's a shame they sacrificed the screen size button (presumably for access to the media features).

I don't know what the situation is with you guys in the US, but over here in England we still have many programmes broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio rather than widescreen 16:9 (or the wide movie ratios).

As a result I regularly use the screen size button on my current Samsung LCD to get the correct ratios displayed.

post #157 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 AM

I just hooked mine up and I have not adjusted anything. I have a bay window on the left side of the room and I don't notice any glare on the screen which is good. I am watching Law and Order on NBC HD and in the initial set up, the pq is not as good as my old Sony. Now some commercials and the cable box set up guide are brighter and clearer so I don't know why the 1080i NBC isn't as good looking. I have to goto work so I won't be able to do more set up or tweaking until tonight.
post #158 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolver98 View Post

I just hooked mine up and I have not adjusted anything. I have a bay window on the left side of the room and I don't notice any glare on the screen which is good. I am watching Law and Order on NBC HD and in the initial set up, the pq is not as good as my old Sony. Now some commercials and the cable box set up guide are brighter and clearer so I don't know why the 1080i NBC isn't as good looking. I have to goto work so I won't be able to do more set up or tweaking until tonight.

Your DNR is probably on, turn it off, it only seems to hurt PQ. Did you goto a bigger size then your old set? If so you will see more artifacts with a bigger size TV.

Mosh~~
post #159 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM

My old set was a 50" Sony lcd projection. New bulb about 4 months ago. I will check the DNR.
post #160 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM

I set mine up last night, WOW what an amazing TV. The only annoying thing so far is having to go through the menu to resize the picture. I will post pics soon.
post #161 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM

use the tools button for pic size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICE View Post

I set mine up last night, WOW what an amazing TV. The only annoying thing so far is having to go through the menu to resize the picture. I will post pics soon.

post #162 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM

which one is better?? 7 series, 6 series, or 71F??
post #163 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Are we sure that this halo is a defect? I believe I've seen this effect used in the past on other types of displays.

I am interested to see the set in my local B&M when they have it setup.
post #164 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM

I really wouldn't call it a defect, more like an overlooked detail. It's not very noticeable in a bright room-- but at night, it's glowing. Since the bezel is glass it passes light from the inside out. There is no way this was done by design, like Phillips is what I think ur thinking of. The moment I setup the 750 after returning a 650, I thought WTF is that, no way -- I could tell that moment what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepocket View Post

Are we sure that this halo is a defect? I believe I've seen this effect used in the past on other types of displays.

I am interested to see the set in my local B&M when they have it setup.

post #165 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Not sure, wasn't this happening on the 650? Is that what ur referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoJoe View Post

Missing PSize on the remote?! Okay, tools menu.

Does the menu selection for setting the TruSurround stick if you turn the TV off, or do you need to go back to the menu each time you turn off the set to re-enable TruSurround?

post #166 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure, wasn't this happening on the 650? Is that what ur referring to?

Yes, Samsung is aware of the issue and is working on a firmware fix. I assume that firmware will also have the dongle drivers for the wireless thingy in MAY.

Mosh~~
post #167 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I really wouldn't call it a defect, more like an overlooked detail. It's not very noticeable in a bright room-- but at night, it's glowing.

Any chance you could post a picture of the bezel halo glow in darkened room conditions, or even at night please?
post #168 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

we really need some pics
post #169 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

we really need some pics

iPhone pics...

Ignore the mess, looking for audio console and trying to figure out which wall mount I want.

Top Bezel

Bottom Bezel

post #170 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 PM

yeah, i tried to take some pictures last night of the halo glow... but my camera has a flash... so it wouldn't show in the pictures.... good job darb!
post #171 of 321 Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM

Apparently no wants to take the responsibility to start a real 750 series owners thread along with some good calibration settings and maybe pros and cons that have been seen so far. Halo effect and reflection are not defects, every buyer has there person taste on each so called defect. I have been thinking bout buying this tv at circuit city for some time now but have not really heard or seen any persuasive evidence that it is worth all the hype over the 650 series. No one seems to be willing to start a thread even with several ppl currently owning the set on the forums...so obviously there is no dedication just a lot of hit and runners. if i decide to buy one locally maybe this weekend i will step up to the plate and start an owners post so others can have an idea of what this tv has to offer over other models. I too have my quirks about the tv especially with the non swivelling stand, but why does Big River and Circuit City advertise swivelling stand...that makes me so confused. hopefully someone will confirm that there is absolutely no swivelling stands for this set...just my ten cents
post #172 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the pics darb215.

It looks like it's quite difficult to capture the "halo" on camera but if those pictures are an accurate representation I can't see it bothering me too much.

I guess you never can tell though until it's there in front of you.

Perhaps you should email Samsung and suggest they put some extra beading on that inner edge where the screen meets the bezel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinonye View Post

... if i decide to buy one locally maybe this weekend i will step up to the plate and start an owners post so others can have an idea of what this tv has to offer over other models ...

That would be great ..... cheers.
post #173 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 AM

I might not keep the set, thats why I didnt start the thread.

As to your comment about the halo being personal taste -- there is absolutely no way anyone would have a taste for this. IMO, either Samsung never saw it (which I cant imagine) or they saw it and decided they were too far along into production to fix the issue. I'm not sure everyone is understanding this, the light doesn't leak through a crack or a place they can repair. The properties of the glass bezel cause the issue because it's glass.

The official 650 thread says enough about the 750 for someone to buy either choice, we know the benefits of the 750, it has DNLA and the Bezel is different. Thats about it. I wanted to stream content from my desktop so that's why I decided to get the 750 to replace a 650. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to the 650 since my PS3 will do a good amount of what the 750 does minus the halo and I know the 650 wasn't as purple as this panel is no matter how many times people say it's settings. I didn't tweak either set, just plugged them in, turned everything off that needed to be off, and lowered the back light. This 750 is purple.

Quote:

Apparently no wants to take the responsibility to start a real 750 series owners thread along with some good calibration settings and maybe pros and cons that have been seen so far. Halo effect and reflection are not defects, every buyer has there person taste on each so called defect. I have been thinking bout buying this tv at circuit city for some time now but have not really heard or seen any persuasive evidence that it is worth all the hype over the 650 series. No one seems to be willing to start a thread even with several ppl currently owning the set on the forums...so obviously there is no dedication just a lot of hit and runners. if i decide to buy one locally maybe this weekend i will step up to the plate and start an owners post so others can have an idea of what this tv has to offer over other models. I too have my quirks about the tv especially with the non swivelling stand, but why does Big River and Circuit City advertise swivelling stand...that makes me so confused. hopefully someone will confirm that there is absolutely no swivelling stands for this set...just my ten cents

post #174 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 AM

Notice the black bars in this image. These span every 3-4 inches making sections in the halo. This was definitely an oversight by the engineers.

LL
post #175 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure everyone is understanding this, the light doesn't leak through a crack or a place they can repair ...

So have you changed your mind about your initial fix solution of a beading round the inner edge of the bezel then?

Does it not work (unfortunately)?
post #176 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM

No, No I'm sorry for the confusion.

I'm certain the fix I suggested with the pinstripping fixes it, I'm just not sure if I care enough about the "upgrades" on the 750 to not return it and go back to a 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post

So have you changed your mind about your initial fix solution of a beading round the inner edge of the bezel then?

Does it not work (unfortunately)?

post #177 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanoje View Post

yeah, i tried to take some pictures last night of the halo glow... but my camera has a flash... so it wouldn't show in the pictures.... good job darb!

cant turn the flash off?
post #178 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi,

I'm eyeing the 650 or 750. I like the aesthetics of the 750 better, but the "halo" would be a deal killer as my room is a bit darker and we primarily watch TV at night.

How many others see the "halo" (bleed through from screen to edge of bezel)?

I'm curious if it's an attribute to the design or something that happened with a specific lot of TV's.

Thanks!

Garth
post #179 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Hey guys, im not sure if this has been fully answered, but is there a swivel stand for the 750 series because CC and big river have swivel stand as part of the unit description..so im a little confused because i am hearing yes and no and not a definite answer. Thanks
post #180 of 321 Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM

nope, it does not, no tilt or swivel.

Quote:

Hey guys, im not sure if this has been fully answered, but is there a swivel stand for the 750 series because CC and big river have swivel stand as part of the unit description..so im a little confused because i am hearing yes and no and not a definite answer. Thanks

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page