Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elomsagro View Post

The halo effect can only be seen in a competely dark room and then only from certain angles. I got mine angled so that I could barely notice any along the top. I believe the 60hz refers to what the source is feeding but the tv converts it to 120hz as long as your AMP is on.....

on that note...this tv is awesome!!!

My AMP is on low which I believe is default, should I change this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdave71 View Post

The tv should have come with a cd that you will need to run on the pc you will use as your server. You will use this to set up sharing permissions for your video/audio files.
Please post when you have this working to tell us about the quality.

The only way I am getting video files (mpg) to the TV is by the USB connection. I have installed the CD that came with the TV, but am not finding a way to sync it yet. The video I played thru the USB was as good as the source. There is a 20sec skip function, but the FF only goes 2x times. I do like the interface on the TV.

Also, I did get rid of the halo effect by using car pin striping. Only way I found to get rid of it was to apply the black pin striping to the front outside of the glass in the clear section at the very top. Wow, by a $3k tv and have to rig it like this???

Edit: Streaming from my laptop now works... Pretty cool.
post #213 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:

So has anybody hooked up their 750 to a network yet? My main holdup on buying one is I want to find out how good it plays video files over a network.. Files such as downloaded movies in avi and other types..
Thanks,,

I was able to connect the tv to my network without a problem. With included CD, you can use a pc as a server to stream video, music and view pictures stored on the pc. The video stream was good with no delay or lag in play back. See Pictures below.
LL
LL
LL
post #214 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Can you post pictures of the where you put the pin striping? It sounds like u put it on the outside edge of the bezel? I don't think this is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm3 View Post

The only way I am getting video files (mpg) to the TV is by the USB connection. I have installed the CD that came with the TV, but am not finding a way to sync it yet. The video I played thru the USB was as good as the source. There is a 20sec skip function, but the FF only goes 2x times. I do like the interface on the TV.

Also, I did get rid of the halo effect by using car pin striping. Only way I found to get rid of it was to apply the black pin striping to the front outside of the glass in the clear section at the very top. Wow, by a $3k tv and have to rig it like this???

post #215 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb215 View Post

Can you post pictures of the where you put the pin striping? It sounds like u put it on the outside edge of the bezel? I don't think this is right?

Yes, it is on the outside. Basically covering the clear portion of the glass at the top (I have just done the top). I tried every other place and it did not work. I might be missing something??

post #216 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 PM

I would think that to get rid of the halo effect instead of covering up, you would have to cover up the clear plastic where it touches the screen. To do this, you would have to take the tv apart.
I myself would not worry about doing this but I wouldn't want to until the 30 day runs out.

Thanks for the pics of the network hookup. I like how it gives you the preview of the file. Is this pic that shows the very first frame of the file or further in?
post #217 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

If the 650 were priced the same as the 750, which one would you buy, now that you've used both in your home?

I'm assuming your asking about my post #207.
Good question.
I would stay with the 650. The halo effect, although not all that distracting, would always bother me. I can't see how Samsung could fix this problem without a service visit or replacing the unit. It's the priciple of the situation. After all, you pay this much for a set your expectations should be pretty high.
There are some advanced conectivity features on the 750 but I don't see myself using these features. Both sets have wonderful picture quality.
post #218 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM

I was very interested in purchasing the new 750 series 52", but after seeing my buddies I have decided differently. He is not overly concerned as I am with slight issues in a TV set, but I definitely saw the Halo Effect on the upper portion of the bezel while watching the credits to two different Bluray movies. It bugged the hell out of me.

Currently I own a XBR3 (46") which likewise has it's own set of issues, but I just loved the picture quality it had.

Today I purchased a new Samsung 650 series (52") from Best Buy. I usually do NOT shop there, but the deal was too good to pass up. I price matched the Fry's ad this week on the 52" 650 series (Fry's has it at $2699). Best Buy has it at $2849.99. After alot of moaning and negotiating I was able to get 2 years financing (which I should be able to pay off in 8 months) at a final price of $2599. I know for a fact they took a hit on this TV because I originally asked for 2 HDMI cables, which I will now return this week to a different store (I don't need them - I just did it for the discount I got on the TV).

Anyways - I really like the asthetics of the 750 more, but there is no way I handle like with the Halo/Mirror effect on the bezel....hence my purchase today of the 650.
post #219 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkenstrike View Post

I was very interested in purchasing the new 750 series 52", but after seeing my buddies I have decided differently. He is not overly concerned as I am with slight issues in a TV set, but I definitely saw the Halo Effect on the upper portion of the bezel while watching the credits to two different Bluray movies. It bugged the hell out of me.

Currently I own a XBR3 (46") which likewise has it's own set of issues, but I just loved the picture quality it had.

Today I purchased a new Samsung 650 series (52") from Best Buy. I usually do NOT shop there, but the deal was too good to pass up. I price matched the Fry's ad this week on the 52" 650 series (Fry's has it at $2699). Best Buy has it at $2849.99. After alot of moaning and negotiating I was able to get 2 years financing (which I should be able to pay off in 8 months) at a final price of $2599. I know for a fact they took a hit on this TV because I originally asked for 2 HDMI cables, which I will now return this week to a different store (I don't need them - I just did it for the discount I got on the TV).

Anyways - I really like the asthetics of the 750 more, but there is no way I handle like with the Halo/Mirror effect on the bezel....hence my purchase today of the 650.

What makes you think BB would take a hit selling it at that price? Amazon has it for cheaper. Would they still be in business if they sell new models lower than what they paid for?

Go 24
post #220 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Actually, Amazon does not have them cheaper after shipping/handling. I looked elsewhere as well (Buy.com, Pricegrabber.com, JR.com, Abesofmain.com, etc). I have done the wholesale route before and it was pleasant overall, but I did have to replace a projector and it was a pain only for the wait/time it took to ship it back and get a replacement. I did alot of looking online before I even thought of approaching Best Buy....plus, I prefer brick and mortar stores on big purchases like this in case something needs returned.

Regarding the hit, they may or may not have taken one, but I think that's how I got the price that I did, selling cables that get marked up 2000% seem to allow wiggle room in purchases. It's a pretty common practice.

Anyways, I don't want to get this thread off topic, I think people are more interested in my opinions of the 750 series....and like I said, I think the bezel issues was a terrible design flaw.
post #221 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roogy1 View Post

Mine was on low by default too.....I changed it to high and it made a huge difference watching The Departed in HD.....made it come to life
post #222 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the differences between the 650 and the 750 is connectivity but another is sound quality. For use in a bedroom as a stand alone unit as opposed to connected to a home theater in the living room, that may be an issue.

Some people have said that the sound quality of the 650 when used as a stand alone unit is lackluster. I understand the 750 has a built in subwoofer while the 650 does not. Did people who heard both the 650 and 750 think the sub on the 750 made it sound much better as a stand alone unit?
post #223 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 PM

I just put painters tape on the inside edge of mine for the minute and it worked great, can u take a actaul pic of what you did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm3 View Post

Yes, it is on the outside. Basically covering the clear portion of the glass at the top (I have just done the top). I tried every other place and it did not work. I might be missing something??

post #224 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pics of the network hookup. I like how it gives you the preview of the file. Is this pic that shows the very first frame of the file or further in?

No. The preview is not the first frame but further in.
post #225 of 321 Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

I don't understand what you are talking about. Xbox 360 displays 720p as it should in widescreen. Your settings with that TV should be 1080p. Why and even how are you displaying a 4:3 image?

Set your Xbox 360 to 1080p and don't "Zoom" anything!

Thanks for your input... that let me to remember that I need to change the settings for my Xbox. Now everything is nice and sharp!!
post #226 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:

One of the differences between the 650 and the 750 is connectivity but another is sound quality. For use in a bedroom as a stand alone unit as opposed to connected to a home theater in the living room, that may be an issue.

Some people have said that the sound quality of the 650 when used as a stand alone unit is lackluster. I understand the 750 has a built in subwoofer while the 650 does not. Did people who heard both the 650 and 750 think the sub on the 750 made it sound much better as a stand alone unit?

A 750 owner will no doubt step up to confirm this, but I have some related experience.

I first owned a UK equivalent of your Samsung 61F series, the M87. It was basically the same chassis but had a higher 15,000:1 contrast ratio.

Anyway it didn't have a built in woofer.

I've since replaced it with an F86 which is US model 71F. This has a built in woofer as you can see from the link below;

http://www.samsung.com/common/web3d/...ln_t4071f.html

Although I have a quality surround sound system, I'm not one of these guys that sits and watches the news, for example, with the amplifier on.

For this reason I can confirm that the sound with the added woofer has far more depth and bass and is much better than it was on the M87 (61F).

It would be an important feature of the 750 for me as you say.
post #227 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Keanos Magic Hat,

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well. The picture in the link you posted of the 71F which has a built in woofer, shows a rectangular base, just like the 750 which also has a built in woofer, unlike the 650, which has neither woofer nor rectangular base.

I was close to getting the 750 due to its presumed better sound when used as a stand alone unit, compared to the 650. But now I'll probably wait since people seem to say the picture quality (although not the sound quality) of the 650 is better than the 750, when used in a dark room.
post #228 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:

... I was close to getting the 750 due to its presumed better sound when used as a stand alone unit, compared to the 650. But now I'll probably wait since people seem to say the picture quality (although not the sound quality) of the 650 is better than the 750, when used in a dark room.

I highly doubt those reports Will, I'd imagine it's just down to people tweaking the settings as the defaults are probably awful.

As far as I am aware the panels used in the 650 and 750 are exactly the same.

Hope that helps.
post #229 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Update,

I just setup the DLNA server and it works as expected, quicker response time than I would of thought over the network. Played some music and viewed some pictures, I couldn't get any videos to play as they all seemed to be unsupported formats. Overall I think it's a good feature, I am going to setup the PS3 to use DLNA as well and see which one works better.

I also installed a DNLA server program from http://tversity.com and it worked well with the 750 too, I think it might organize better that the samsung pc manager, tversity was definitely easier to get setup and use. I think tversity works on a mac too. I'm strongly considering going back to the 650. As the prices drop I cant justify the added cost for the 750. I could easily get a mac mini for the difference in $$. Since my HR20 directv box and ps3 both do DNLA, it seems like a no brainer at this point.
post #230 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkenstrike View Post

Actually, Amazon does not have them cheaper after shipping/handling. I looked elsewhere as well (Buy.com, Pricegrabber.com, JR.com, Abesofmain.com, etc). I have done the wholesale route before and it was pleasant overall, but I did have to replace a projector and it was a pain only for the wait/time it took to ship it back and get a replacement. I did alot of looking online before I even thought of approaching Best Buy....plus, I prefer brick and mortar stores on big purchases like this in case something needs returned.

Regarding the hit, they may or may not have taken one, but I think that's how I got the price that I did, selling cables that get marked up 2000% seem to allow wiggle room in purchases. It's a pretty common practice.

Anyways, I don't want to get this thread off topic, I think people are more interested in my opinions of the 750 series....and like I said, I think the bezel issues was a terrible design flaw.

So you would definitely advice to get the LN52A650 on BB?
For me would be $2,699.00 + 8.25% = $2,921.67 vs Amazon $2,569.00 shipped. That's $352.67 difference, but I could go and get it now at BB, while on line is a pain in the *ss.
post #231 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgmentday View Post

So you would definitely advice to get the LN52A650 on BB?
For me would be $2,699.00 + 8.25% = $2,921.67 vs Amazon $2,569.00 shipped. That's $352.67 difference, but I could go and get it now at BB, while on line is a pain in the *ss.

Why don't you use BB 10% off coupons and Triple Reward Point coupons to save more money and even cheaper than Amazon.com and able to return anytime you want.
post #232 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

wow halo effect, red bezels? whats next , holes in bezels? oh wait....
post #233 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post

Why don't you use BB 10% off coupons and Triple Reward Point coupons to save more money and even cheaper than Amazon.com and able to return anytime you want.

How or where can I get those discounts?
post #234 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Anyone know if calibration settings would be similar to the 650 or should there be a calibration thread for series 7?
post #235 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgmentday View Post

How or where can I get those discounts?

BB 10% off
http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/edit...;1;02&ci=10277

Triple or Quad point

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/edit...=1007&ci=10226
post #236 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roogy1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb215 View Post

I hope this is the truth, i'd like to get a fixed one. Only two people are active in this tread have 750's it seems, shanoje and myself --both see it.

If you have a 750, chime in...

The easiest way to see -watch credits to a movie. The credits roll and continue at the edge of the bezel. It's like it mirrors the last pixels closest to the bezel on the panel to the edge.

What a shame...

What is the picture size set at. 16:9 or just scan? I have a 4671F and if I set the picture size to just scan I get a similar halo effect and it comes and goes. It looks just like the pictures I saw of the halo effect.
post #237 of 321 Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

wow halo effect, red bezels? whats next , holes in bezels? oh wait....

Guess you'll never find a tv you like. Maybe you should just read books, or more books if you already do.
post #238 of 321 Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsta View Post

I have a 4671F and if I set the picture size to just scan I get a similar halo effect and it comes and goes. It looks just like the pictures I saw of the halo effect.

The 71F seems more like the 750 than the 650. Both the 71F and the 750 have a rectangular base and a built in woofer, neither of which are in the 650.

Maybe unlike the 750 where the halo effect is heavily discussed, the 71F has a similar halo, but with the 71F it wasn't discussed much until now. Is the bezel on the 71F similar to the 750?
post #239 of 321 Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:

The 71F seems more like the 750 than the 650. Both the 71F and the 750 have a rectangular base and a built in woofer, neither of which are in the 650.

Maybe unlike the 750 where the halo effect is heavily discussed, the 71F has a similar halo, but with the 71F it wasn't discussed much until now. Is the bezel on the 71F similar to the 750?

The halo effect on the xx71 is a result of a combination of the video processing and the source. It has nothing to do with aesthetics like the halo in the 750.

The xx71 has a wide square bezel like the 750 with the difference being the speakers are mounted on the sides.

Vote on my video at: http://www.areallygoodejob.com/video...id=_L-gJYbFxlg
For every vote I'll donate some money to the THON charity for pediatric cancer.
post #240 of 321 Old 04-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms541 View Post

The halo effect on the xx71 is a result of a combination of the video processing and the source. It has nothing to do with aesthetics like the halo in the 750.

The xx71 has a wide square bezel like the 750 with the difference being the speakers are mounted on the sides.

I really like the look of the 750 much better than the 650 and the subwoofer is a bonus, but when i was in Circuit City watching the set i did notice the effect. Its only when you are not looking directly at the set. The set i was watching was mounted high so i saw the halo effect on the top portion of the TV. you can clearly see the bars separating the effect as well. its more noticable when the screen content is bright. I could imagine in a darker environment that it could be distracting. just my 2 cents.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page