Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous View Post

hey all,
i don't have time to read through this entire thread, and i was hoping someone could just list what problems (if any) are common with the a550.

my 64u banding to the point that it pisses me off every time i watch it. i was going to try the aquos advantage route in hopes of getting a set with no issues, or maybe even upgraded, but that sounds like a crap shoot and a waste of time. i'd probably wind up with a worse refurb, or maybe they would upgrade me but from what i hear the rest of their sets have issues, too.

is the a550 the best option in 40-46" range right now?
is there a huge difference between the 550 and the other samsung models?

Thanks

I don't believe there are too many "common" problems for the 550 set. I've had both a 40" and a 46" now, and my only issue was 1 dead pixel. This is far from a problem for the 550 though, every LCD suffers this.

From the many, many posts in this thread, of which I've read every one, there are no problems that seem to be recurring other than the green screen. This has happened to me once over hundreds of hours of viewing, and it was when I was stopping playback of a Blu-Ray on the PS3. The entire screen went green. It's pretty much agreed around here that it is a problem with HDMI "handshaking" more than anything else. Otherwise, this TV is bulletproof.

I don't know if the 550 is the best option right now. That all depends on how deep your pockets are. The 650 and 750 are certainly better TVs, but they are much more expensive. The 550 is the last line that doesn't include 120hz processing, but still includes much of the other processing tidbits like DNIe and DNR like it's big brothers. IMO, the 550 is the best value of the Samsungs right now.

Sony has some strong competition out that matches up pretty well with the 550, but again, they are more expensive sets. If you would like to compare side-by-side each of Samsung's LCDs, check here and use the compare function:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/s...&subtype=lcdtv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM

All I could do to get it to work was struggle with it and keep at it and with much work it would finally come out. The only advice I could offer would be to keep at it until you get it sorted.

Nope, you hit the nail on the head. You just have to make sure you have the correct sized screwdriver and then keep on turning and turning forever to get to come out. I had to turn the set on its side to make sure the screws fall out. They wont come out by themselves. If they dont fall out just keep on turning and turning. You can use a flashlight to make sure you are turning the screws and not just turning the screwdriver for nothing if it is not seated properly in the head of the screw.
post #3243 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom View Post

Has anyone had trouble removing the stand from the bottom? I wall mounted mine tonight and I could not get the four screws out of the back of the tv to get the cylindrical part of the stand out. I ended up just removing the base part and mounting it for the time being with the cylinder part of the stand sticking out of the bottom.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Yep, the stand was poorly designed. I basically unscrewed the screws and then shook the stand and TV till they all fell out.
post #3244 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapeacres View Post

All I could do to get it to work was struggle with it and keep at it and with much work it would finally come out. The only advice I could offer would be to keep at it until you get it sorted.

Nope, you hit the nail on the head. You just have to make sure you have the correct sized screwdriver and then keep on turning and turning forever to get to come out. I had to turn the set on its side to make sure the screws fall out. They wont come out by themselves. If they dont fall out just keep on turning and turning. You can use a flashlight to make sure you are turning the screws and not just turning the screwdriver for nothing if it is not seated properly in the head of the screw.

Someone earlier suggested a magnetic tip screwdriver. Seems genius to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3245 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM

just to give you guys a heads up. On AOTS on G4 they will be reviewing the A550. The early preview sounded promising.
post #3246 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

Someone earlier suggested a magnetic tip screwdriver. Seems genius to me.

That's what I used!

It still was far more of a pain than it should have been... but also the ONLY negative experience I've had with my 46A550.
post #3247 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas2344 View Post

well i was watching a unconverted dvd on ps3 and when i exited playback the XMB menu was all green, i shut the tv off and turned it back on and it fixed the problem but should i be worried about this?

I have the same issue. I assumed it was the PS3 doing it. It may just be some HDMI handshake issue.
post #3248 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

the screen always turns green for me when switching to 24p

post #3249 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

I don't know how to hide the icon. I just turn the volume down to zero = no sound and no icon.

+1 That's what I do too.
post #3250 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 PM

You can also go to Menu, Sound, TV Speaker, Off.
post #3251 of 8397 Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi there. First time poster. I've just purchased an A559 (uk model) and I'm noticing scroll bands when I play 1080/24 blu ray and upscaled dvd's from my ps3!! ( If I switch 24hz or upscaling off the problem disappears. Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be the ps3 or is it more likely to be the panel? Any ideas??
post #3252 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi I am from EU so you will need a bit of EU help.This problem doesnt exist to US model.However it is a widespread problem to EU and has been reported to all 2008 ranges of samsung.Come here at a UK forum
www.avforums.com
post #3253 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Model LN32A550

1. When changing "sources" (ie from TV to HDMI) - the source selection menu will not clear the screen - you have to hit "exit" to clear it. Is there a way to just "toggle" sources without having to bring up the menu selection and then clear it with "exit". I am sure there is a way to do this?

2. "Just Scan" on HDMI port: - I use "just scan" for all 1080 sources (TV HDMI etc) - sharper picture is the reason. That seems to create a problem on the HDMI port. Each time it is selected the picture is "two" pixels rows low - so the just scan button has to be hit, and then moved up two clicks. That has to be done each and every time HDMI is selected. In otherwords it does not retain its previous setting for that port. Is this happening to anyone else?
post #3254 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Model LN32A550

1. When changing "sources" (ie from TV to HDMI) - the source selection menu will not clear the screen - you have to hit "exit" to clear it. Is there a way to just "toggle" sources without having to bring up the menu selection and then clear it with "exit". I am sure there is a way to do this?

2. "Just Scan" on HDMI port: - I use "just scan" for all 1080 sources (TV HDMI etc) - sharper picture is the reason. That seems to create a problem on the HDMI port. Each time it is selected the picture is "two" pixels rows low - so the just scan button has to be hit, and then moved up two clicks. That has to be done each and every time HDMI is selected. In otherwords it does not retain its previous setting for that port. Is this happening to anyone else?

1. It will go away after about a minute or so, but I just hit the volume up/down and it goes away.

2. Yeah, I hate this too. It should retain the setting. This would be a good addition in a future firmware update, so maybe call Samsung and complain. If you use a Settop box, you might be able to adjust it there permanently.
post #3255 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
ok, so were pretty sure this is an 8-bit panel, but does anyone know if it has an 8 or 10-bit processor? i know this was asked a few times already, but no answers yet.
post #3256 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

I need a little more help from this forum members. I was all set to purchase the LN40A550 this week end, but 2 of the 3 online stores I had in mind to buy from increased the price by about $300, and the third place is out of stock. My budget (and my wife) will only allow $1200 to spend. So my question is should I hold out and wait and see as Father's day approaches if the LN40A550 will go back down in price, or should I purchase the LN32A550?
(Or, third option, bite the bullet, remind my wife that I'm the man of the house, and buy the LN40A550 which is what I really want!)
My viewing area is a well lit frontroom, with patio doors that let the "sun shine in" and I would be sitting about 8/9 feet away from the screen. My viewing habits are SD DVDs, TV, and TiVo.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #3257 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I need a little more help from this forum members. I was all set to purchase the LN40A550 this week end, but 2 of the 3 online stores I had in mind to buy from increased the price by about $300, and the third place is out of stock. My budget (and my wife) will only allow $1200 to spend. So my question is should I hold out and wait and see as Father's day approaches if the LN40A550 will go back down in price, or should I purchase the LN32A550?
(Or, third option, bite the bullet, remind my wife that I'm the man of the house, and buy the LN40A550 which is what I really want!)
My viewing area is a well lit frontroom, with patio doors that let the "sun shine in" and I would be sitting about 8/9 feet away from the screen. My viewing habits are SD DVDs, TV, and TiVo.

Well the good news is you are going to pull the trigger on one of the options I have heard in my neck of the woods that Sony this month is supposed to lower all of their LCD's in response to lost market share and that ultimately SAMSUNG will follow suit. Again, this is what I am hearing here. Maybe some others have heard similar statements. I would think given that news that the price will ultimately come down.
post #3258 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe there will be a discount from BB or CC in a couple of weeks, Memorial Day! Those stores price match so if you buy it now and the price drops, stop by and get the difference.

Go 24
post #3259 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

While watching Big Rivers pricing the last few weeks, I noticed that they lowered the price on 2 of the last 3 Sundays in the evening (prime time).
I ordered my last Sunday for less then what you want to pay.
post #3260 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The LN40A550 appears to be available and in stock for two dollars below your budget right now with free shipping at "Sandy Photo".
post #3261 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by D92Mike View Post

1. It will go away after about a minute or so, but I just hit the volume up/down and it goes away.

2. Yeah, I hate this too. It should retain the setting. This would be a good addition in a future firmware update, so maybe call Samsung and complain. If you use a Settop box, you might be able to adjust it there permanently.

There should be a way to go into the service menu so the position of the HDMI port (screen) so it is in the correct position.

Anyone know how to do that?
post #3262 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM

This page is useful for keeping track of pricing.

I was strongly considering a 46A550, but since the pricing shot up (see attachment), I'm just going to wait for the Sony 4100's before deciding anything.

Maybe everyone's raising demand by burning their tax rebates on TVs?
LL
post #3263 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beoba View Post

This page is useful for keeping track of pricing.

And another good site:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...48565&t=780869
post #3264 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM

best deal ive found to date is what i paid just over 2k like 2050 bucks with free shipping, and i got the mount for an extra 70 bucks. Amazon FTW.
post #3265 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the suggestions on purchasing the LN40A550. I think I'll wait and watch the web sites as it gets closer to Father's day. Heck, I waited this long I guess I can wait a little longer(as long as my pace maker don't give out LOL). I will check out "Sandy Photo" and thanks for that tip. I have decided to go with the 40" and not drop down to the 32", as they say, you only live once!
Any other suggestions out there, feel free to voice them.

I see dead pixels!
post #3266 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions on purchasing the LN40A550. I think I'll wait and watch the web sites as it gets closer to Father's day. Heck, I waited this long I guess I can wait a little longer(as long as my pace maker don't give out LOL). I will check out "Sandy Photo" and thanks for that tip. I have decided to go with the 40" and not drop down to the 32", as they say, you only live once!
Any other suggestions out there, feel free to voice them.

Check out buydig.com or beachcamera.com Great company (same company) with nice prices.

Pat
post #3267 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcenter View Post

The LN40A550 appears to be available and in stock for two dollars below your budget right now with free shipping at "Sandy Photo".

Well so much for this tip...thanks anyway...at least I got a smile from it...

I see dead pixels!
post #3268 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

I'll never understand why people have to be cute and come up with code names for online stores we're allowed to mention on here like beachcamera.com/beachaudio.com, Amazon, etc...

I'm in the middle of watching the original Stargate movie on Blu-Ray on my 46A550 right now and it's freakin stunning!

post #3269 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

Check out buydig.com or beachcamera.com Great company (same company) with nice prices.

This site checked out really great...I like the way all the policies are spelled out and they have a great price too. Thanks Patsan. I think I'm going to go with them.

I see dead pixels!
post #3270 of 8397 Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally I was going to buy the 46inch but Amazon sold out... I then placed an order with Butterflyphoto (great price too) and got scared with all of the negative reviews the store had received, I cancelled the order to avoid future headaches. They were kinda pushy while I tried to cancel but got out. Since I trust Amazon more I went for the 52 inch (nice compromise, eh?). It was hard for me going back down to a 46 from my current 50 incher. It will arrive in a week or so.

I currently own a KDF50we655 a 50 inch Sony DLP. Nice set, good price 3 years ago (3k with tax, shipping and warranty from CC). The bulb blew last week for the first time in 3 years, replaced and figured I should part with it and start over... one bulb replacement was enough. I've graduated from this DLP.

I've read so many good things about this series... Amazon reviews, AVS users, Best Buy reviews, etc. The raving was so much I didn't feel I needed to look at it much. Thought about the 650 series but having the possibility to update firmware out the box turned me off.

The sound on the ln52a550 concerned me but guess what.... I go into my jobs cafeteria and there beaming is the 46 inch model! It was mounted on a pedestal, I will probably just go tabletop. The sound is not the best without tweaking it but you can totally set it to a nice setting and forget about audio issues. The remote has big buttons that are easy to press but it is a bit on the ugly side but it's not something that bothers me. Screen is not glossy or too matted. Menu is also simple. I dig it. However, the one at work isnt hooked up to an HD source. I can't wait to get mine!
LL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page