Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

For the HDMI v1.3, I'd look into the A650 to get that feature, since that's true 10-bit with x.v.Color. The A550 is still 8-bit, and may not be Simplay compliant. That's the difference, from what I understand. Yes, it does make a difference to comply with the 1.3 standard, since it thrives on a deeper color gamut and higher-bit panel.

I want to get the series 6, but it's extremely expensive in Canada compared to the US. I have no idea why prices for the series 6 in Canada is so outrageous, but that's the way things are. Right now, it's either the Samsung LN46A550 or the Sony KDL46W3000. I'm leaning on the Samsung, but someone said the Sony have better specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitozway View Post

Like I said, after calibration, watching cable is a lot better. My cable box is indeed set to 1080i, 720p, etc. It still doesn't look nearly as sharp as the plasma but its ok. It's the Xbox 360 that really shows terrible; Grand Theft Auto 4 was nearly unplayable and is now tolerable but looks significantly worse than on any other TV I've seen it on.

How can I take a pic? With a digital camera you mean, correct?

Yes if you could. I can't see how playing x-box is just tolerable. I assume your xbox is set to 1080p? using component or hdmi.
post #3333 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:16 PM

So has it been confirmed that the 32'' uses a different panel from the 40+ inch sets? If so, this would explain my difficulties with calibration; in the calibration thread, most of the settings are for 40+ inch sets.
post #3334 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

guys after owning this tv for about 23 days I decided to return the 40a550. The deal breaker personally for me was the 60 vs 120hz. As for the tv itself it is a pretty solid set, i thought the out of the box calibration was horrible, tweaking from settings on this forum helped a lot but still just seemed very difficult to get it the way I wanted. Video game calibration color quality seemed ok, but I just wasn't satisfied. Motion blur is probably as good as you can get for 60hz lcd, but it was still a little annoying. I really didnt feel any excitement to re watch any of my bluray's since there was no special pulldown features, everything just seemed solid run of the mill which is nothing wrong with that. I've decided to choose between the a750 vs the z4100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3335 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides View Post

So has it been confirmed that the 32'' uses a different panel from the 40+ inch sets? If so, this would explain my difficulties with calibration; in the calibration thread, most of the settings are for 40+ inch sets.

yeah 32" uses differenct panel
post #3336 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

Are you seriously questioning your purchase based on the number of postings on a forum Seriously are you judging your a550 based on another thread having more posts??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by beoba View Post

???????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

No offense, but did you even read through some of the posts? Why do you assume that those posts are positive? There are A LOT of posts in there that are very negative due to problems with the tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

If you feel to base your decision on the post count of a thread then you will end up with a tv you will not like. Many threads with high posts are posts with issues with the set. But not always.
When you see a thread with many posts, read as much of the thread as you can before committing your purchase to that set, you will not be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

The a550 is an awesome tv. IMO, no you did not buy the wrong tv based on the a650 thread post count.

hahah I can't believe the amount of replies I got for saying that. Sorry guys, I was previously browsing a forum where more posts = better content, so I just figured there was more interest in the a650 when I saw that it had so many posts! I'm still in a sort-of hesitant state of shock after purchasing the TV.. just hoping it's as impressive as it appears to be so far. By your replies, I have a feeling it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcenter View Post

The only thing that slightly bothers me is the remote - you really have to point it in the right direction toward the TV and you have to really press the buttons on it, more so than most other remotes.

Strange, I haven't noticed any of those issues with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcenter View Post

Well, I have a set of Paradigm speakers and the center channel speaker is rather large. Before, it sat on top of the Sony CRT which worked out well. Now, of course, it obviously can't sit on top of the 52A550, so my solution was to get a new TV stand/rack (an Init model from BB) and put the center channel speaker on top of it where you would normally put the TV with the stand attached. The plan is to position the wall mount so that the TV will be positioned so that the bottom of it will be just slightly higher than the top of the center channel speaker on the stand by maybe about an inch or two. This should help hide some of the wiring behind the speaker from the TV to the other components.

The other components will go on the two lower racks of the speaker stand. This allows me to get rid of an older rather large entertainment center, which used to hold all sorts of gear - preamp, amp, cassette deck, VCR, turntable, etc, most of which is no longer used for anything and will probably go into a closet somewhere. I also have an obscenely large SVS subwoofer and now I'll be able to move it to where the discarded entertainment center was positioned, which should work out better.

When it's all done, it'll look much cleaner along the long wall of entertainment. And while I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and paint the wall before installing the wall mount so I don't have to disassemble it or paint around it at some point in the future.

When I ordered the TV, I hadn't put much thought into what I was going to do with it when it arrived, so it ended up leading to all sorts of problems to be solved and subsequent changes.

I'm curious what others do regarding a large center channel speaker and a large TV.

That sounds like a pretty smart and efficient way to go about it. Thanks for the info, you've been a great help!
post #3337 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlund View Post

hahah I can't believe the amount of replies I got for saying that. Sorry guys, I was previously browsing a forum where more posts = better content, so I just figured there was more interest in the a650 when I saw that it had so many posts! I'm still in a sort-of hesitant state of shock after purchasing the TV.. just hoping it's as impressive as it appears to be so far. By your replies, I have a feeling it will be.

Strange, I haven't noticed any of those issues with mine.

That sounds like a pretty smart and efficient way to go about it. Thanks for the info, you've been a great help!

congrats on your set and please don't take my original shock the wrong way. I think if you give the set a chance you'll love it. anyways welcome to the thread
post #3338 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Ok I'm still not understanding what u mean can u explain this in detail please? Are u saying that even though I got an a550 my model has a worse panel than the bigger sizes?? What's the difference between them? And would having a higher contrast for this size even be noticeable or they just put 15k:1 because that's the most possible contrast that will be effective for this size? Sorry for all the confusion but I was disappointed to find out over a week after buyibg my a550 that it had worse specs and would be happy to just understand why and if I really ended up getting shafted when buying this TV......

Buddy, this has been discussed in exhaustive detail in this thread already. Please take the time to learn how to use the "search this thread" function and you'll be able to find all the info you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3339 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

yeah 32" uses differenct panel

Hell. No wonder the calibration thread isn't too helpful. This is what I get for being on a budget.
post #3340 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 PM

Whoops...the title should be "It's not a component source!"

Anyway...I had previously had my Xbox 360 (non-HDMI version) hooked up to the "AV(2)/Component(2)" slot. However, I've decided I want my DVD player in that slot now. My DVD player uses regular composite video (yellow video cable). When I plug it in and look at the source list, it is registering as "Component 2" rather than "AV2" (composite source)...because it thinks it's a component connection I'm getting black and white picture. Is there a way to get the TV to recognize it as composite? I've already tried unplugging the TV for 30 seconds or so, but it still showed up as a component source. Any suggestions?

Edit: I just figured out the port above the "AV(in)/Component(in) 1" isn't a combo port...it's only for component and "AV2" is actually on the side panel.
post #3341 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Hi, I recently got a LN40A550 from Best Buy. I have good friends who work there so I got a better deal than Amazon

I am still waiting for all my component/HDMI cables to come in along with my Comcast HD box so I can start viewing TV in good quality. Right now, I am watching Dish Network using composite cables...it is quite ugly sometimes.

I noticed that in all of my channels, during the "lighter" parts of the shows, I can see very faint vertical lines (red/green stripes) across the TV. It may be very faint rainbow colored stripes, but I notice the red/green tint the most. Do you guys think it is because of these composite A/V cables? In the darker/more colorful parts of the shows, I do not notice these lines although I think they are still there. In this case, maybe it is a reflection problem from my lighting? I searched this thread but it seemed like most people were talking about previous problems with 'rainbow' lines on older Samsung tv's.

Any help or insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated!

Also, an unrelated question: Right now I have a Sony VCR/DVD player which only has composite input/outputs on the back besides a component/S-video section for the DVD player. When my Comcast HD box does finally come in, how should connect all three (TV, HD Box, VCR/DVD) together? Will I be able to connect my Comcast box to my VCR/DVD player and then connect to the TV using composite cables? That connection doesn't make sense to me as it seems like it defeats the purpose of connecting directly from the box to the TV using component/HDMI cabling.

Can I also connect from the Comcast box to my TV directly, and do some other sort of connection with my VCR/DVD? I still use VHS recording for some things so I need to be able to record cable TV shows.

Thanks a lot guys, sorry about the long post! This TV does look to be a keeper.
post #3342 of 8397 Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty1217 View Post

So I had previously had my Xbox 360 (older composite version) hooked up to the "Composite 2" slot. However, I've decided I want my DVD player in that slot now. My DVD player uses regular A/V cables. When I plug it in and look at the source list, only the "Composite 2" can be selected rather than "AV2"...because it thinks it's a composite connection I'm getting black and white picture. Is there a way to get the TV to recognize it as A/V? I've already tried unplugging the TV for 30 seconds or so, but it still showed up as a composite source. Any suggestions?

Component is what you should be using. I'm going to guess the cables aren't connected properly (ie colors mixed up).
post #3343 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides View Post

Hell. No wonder the calibration thread isn't too helpful. This is what I get for being on a budget.

yeah its a shame as you are not only you who cant afford the 40"
post #3344 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Like I said, after calibration, watching cable is a lot better. My cable box is indeed set to 1080i, 720p, etc. It still doesn't look nearly as sharp as the plasma but its ok. It's the Xbox 360 that really shows terrible; Grand Theft Auto 4 was nearly unplayable and is now tolerable but looks significantly worse than on any other TV I've seen it on.

How can I take a pic? With a digital camera you mean, correct?

Hey man. I have a 40A550 set and after owning it for a month now, I am very very happy with my purchase. Watching HD shows are second to none. I'm playing GTA IV via XBOX360 using component. I am still using my original launch day Xbox360 set LOL. Anyways, here are few tips to make your Xbox experience pleasing: make sure the switch tag on your XBox cable is set to HDTV, don't set your black levels to extended, set your TV to movies when playing Xbox.

Here is a pic of my setup using Xbox. As you can see, it is sharp and clear:

post #3345 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatrage View Post

Component is what you should be using. I'm going to guess the cables aren't connected properly (ie colors mixed up).

I've rechecked the cables and they're all in the corresponding ports. As I stated earlier, my DVD player uses a regular composite video cable (yellow) rather than component (red, blue, green).

I'm going to put this as simply as I can...

If I take the yellow (video) cable for my DVD player and stick it into the "AV(in)/component(in) 1" port, I can see in my source list that "AV1" is registering.

However, if I take that same yellow cable and stick it into the "AV(in)/component(in) 2" port, in my source list it is registering as "Component 2" when it should be registering as "AV2"

How can I make the TV register the cable as a composite source rather than component?

Edit: I just figured out the port above the "AV(in)/Component(in) 1" isn't a combo port...it's only for component and "AV2" is actually on the side panel. Problem solved.
post #3346 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 AM

Um actualy I did try using the search engine on this thread and didn't find anything can someone please direct me to wich page on this thread discusses the 32 inch models panel? Thanks....
post #3347 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Do you think the semi-gloss screen would be too reflective in a room such as mine (see attached)? Am I better off with a true matte screen (such as the Philips I know have)?
LL
post #3348 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgasman View Post

Do you think the semi-gloss screen would be too reflective in a room such as mine (see attached)? Am I better off with a true matte screen (such as the Philips I know have)?

It also depends on what direction your back deck is pointing. Looks like you have a lot of tall trees back there so they could block out the Sun in the early morning or late afternoon. You have a LCD (Philips) wall mounted so do you have problems with reflection on that baby during the day?

And to be safe, buy it from somewhere where you can return it if the reflection is a little too much to handle during the day.

Go 24
post #3349 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Hello all,

I just purchased a LN40A550 and I am very let down. I am hoping this is due to my ignorance and/or something can be done to improve the picture on my set but I'm not sure. About a month ago I purchased a Panasonic PX80 (plasma) and I was very happy with the picture quality. It was my first HDTV but, compared to what I had seen on friends' tv's, the quality was excellent.

I had originally intended to purchase an LCD but a friend convinced me that burn-in wasn't the issue it once was so it would be safe to play Xbox on the plasma. As thrilled as I was with the picture, burn-in horror stories made me return the tv and opt for the LN40A550. I had read that the 450 was an excellent tv and that this was the newer version of that. I was also excited to be "future-proof" and have a 1080p set.

Needless to say, my excitement turned into disappointment when I got home. The sound was atrocious compared to the Panasonic but I was willing to "look" past that. The picture quality when watching HD cable was quite poor and the 360 looked so bad it was near unplayable. I attributed this to the out-of-box settings and decided to calibrate the tv, trying out several different settings from this forum. While this greatly improved the picture & sound, I still find it to be far inferior to my previous set. I'm not sure what the word is to describe it but the picture on the plasma was by far much more crisp and clean. There seems to be a lot of noise and things look fuzzy when watching cable on this set. The main issue is the Xbox though; even after calibrating it it still looks extremely fuzzy.

Just to rule some potential culprits out, I am using the tv in the same room with the same equipment, wires, etc. while watching from the same distance as the previous TV (roughly 7 feet). Everything is the same, except the TV.

This TV is actually 2 inches smaller than the previous TV (which I would imagine can only help picture quality, not hurt). The previous TV has a contrast ratio that is half of what this TV has. I did a CNET comparison and: http://reviews.cnet.com/4516-4_7-0.h...14&id=32887130.

And just to rule out that it is "just me," my girlfriend sees exactly what I am talking about and has noticed the difference as well. She also said this without me mentioning it first.

Here is my setup:
Cable - HDMI 1 (Cable STB) - Movie Mode
Backlight: 4
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 52
Sharpness: 20
Color: 51
Tint: G55/R45

Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: all set to 25
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

Color Tone: Warm1
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Auto
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off

Xbox 360 (set to Extended) - Component 1 (Game) - Standard

Backlight: 6
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 30
Color: 55
Tint: G53/R47

Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: all set to 25
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Auto
HDMI Black Level: Normal (can't change this)
Film Mode: Off (can't change this either)

Someone please enlighten me as to why a "superior" TV looks inferior? Is the difference between LCD and Plasma picture quality that profound? Is some one (or more) of my settings wrong? Thanks for any help!

Hi, please try the following to make sure it's your set:

First, set your xbox to output "Standard" ref. levels, and set it to "optimal" resolution, ie 1080p. Next, try a different HDMI cable if you have one.

On the TV side, go to the calibration thread and use the latest settings that I have posted.

MAKE SURE that you DISABLE any noise reduction, DNIe, edge enhancement etc.

Finally, make sure the source is l;abelled "PC" or "Game", and let us know what happens.

~RjB
post #3350 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

Thanks man - that's what I am talking about, good post.

As for the dust, be very, very careful cleaning these TV, they will scratch very easily. Apply no pressure whatsoever and use that cloth that came with the TV. For the stand, I use a very soft, damp cloth and just kind of lightly move it across the stand.

What do you use if theres a liquid type thing on the tv? I saw a bit of something on the screen (must have been from the factory) I licked my tounge on the provided cloth and cleaned off that smudge successfully, but I left a differnt kind of smudge now :/ any ideas?
post #3351 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 AM

I am planning on purchasing A LN37A550. Is there any advantage on buying from the local Best Buy than from an online vendor who has a lower price and free shipping and no sales tax (in Iowa it is 6%). Thanks.
post #3352 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Don't buy it the 32 inch and 37 inch models have worse specs and use a worse panel than the bigger sizes 40 and above. Get either the 40 inch or maybe sony xbr6 I was dumb to buy the 32inch model of this set
post #3353 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm stuck with a 37" space and the LN37A550 is 36.1". What about the Best Buy or online query?
post #3354 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Don't buy it the 32 inch and 37 inch models have worse specs and use a worse panel than the bigger sizes 40 and above. Get either the 40 inch or maybe sony xbr6 I was dumb to buy the 32inch model of this set

Have you contacted samsung to verify this? Looking at the 37" and 42" models on the sharp web page you will see that there are differences in the listed dynamic contrast rations.

LC-42D64U = 10,000:1 (1080p)
LC-42D43U = 7,500:1 (720p)

LC-37GP1U = 8,500:1 (1080p)
LC-37D62U = 8,500:1 (1080p)
LC-37D43U = 6,000:1 (720p)
LC-C3742U = 6,000:1 (720p)
LC-37D42U = 6,000:1 (720p)

Many of the other set manufacturers do not even list contrast rations. I wonder what this all means.

-Cork55
post #3355 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Hello..Recently bought a 40" 550 from circuit city..got them to price match another store in the nyc area so I got the television for $1224.. could have saved a lil on amazon but im really impatient with these types of things

few questions.

I noticed in the 650 owners thread people are discussing video game lag etc.. I have played gta4 and havent noticed anything on my set so far..what is the best way to check for lag...im assuming the 550 will also have lag since the 650 is a step up.. also I have played with some of the settings that other users have posted and cant seem to get real deep blacks..I dont expect as dark as the bezel but they are not as dark as I remember them looking in the store..(maybe some of this could be due to signal? time warner is coming tommorow and in the meantime i bought a antena so I would have a few channels until the cable arrived)
post #3356 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM

So my girlfriend bought a 550 a month ago and she sometimes gets this green or purple screen when watching upscaled DVDs via PS3.

What's the cause of this? Is there a firmware update to fix it?
post #3357 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolgar View Post

So my girlfriend bought a 550 a month ago and she sometimes gets this green or purple screen when watching upscaled DVDs via PS3.

What's the cause of this? Is there a firmware update to fix it?

I believe it has something to do with the HDMI handshake. Don't ask me to explain it cuz I dont know how. Google it maybe. But in layman's terms, the HDMI connection sometimes misfires. No biggie...just reboot your PS3. Mine does that too sometimes. When it does flash a whole screen of green or purple, it is a chance for me to look for dead pixels
post #3358 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM

hey guys, i have the 46a550 and been loving every minute of it. I'm about ready to install it on a completely brick wall. I bought the Peerless mount from Amazon, and was wondering if anyone has any tips before I start drilling. I have a masonry bit, and tried to line everything up so they are in the middle of the brick.

I'm using the 2 1/2 anchors that came with the mount, along with the long screws. Cheers for any help!
post #3359 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhalo View Post

set your TV to movies when playing Xbox.

Here is a pic of my setup using Xbox. As you can see, it is sharp and clear:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...3/IMG_1076.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...3/IMG_1089.jpg

are those the default movie settings? im pretty sure thats how my gta4 looks on dynamic or standard.
post #3360 of 8397 Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefo View Post

I am planning on purchasing A LN37A550. Is there any advantage on buying from the local Best Buy than from an online vendor who has a lower price and free shipping and no sales tax (in Iowa it is 6%). Thanks.

The only advantage is you get the product the same day and returns are alot easier. I was going to go through Amazon and I'm glad I did not.
I bought the 32" last week at BB and returned it today for the 37" model today. I only upgraded beacuse BB dropped the price on the 37", so for only a 100.00 more I got a bigger TV.
I did use the Rewards Zone Coupon to drop it under 1k before taxes.
Good luck with your purchase.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page