Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I have my mind set on this year's models, since they seem to be the perfect fit for a 46", imo. If not, well, I'll definitely settle on the 71F, if the A650 doesn't live up to anything by then.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

I'd appreciate a shortcut on the differences between the LN46A550 and the LNT4661F?

When I make my exchange, the 4661F is the only unit available.

I would check out the 4661 threads if I were you. I had one, and other then specs like contrast ration and response time, there isn't much different. BUT thats just what we see. On the inside things must be vastly different because mid production sammy switched chip manufacturers on the 61/65 series and that appeared to have horrible (maybe overstated) consequences. My 4661 was awesome! If I didn't move across country I would still have it. But the late made models seem to be problem prone. Now, its been some time since I followed up with those threads, and they may have cured it by now. But as of early march, they did not. What I can tell you though is that my 500 picture is much better than my 4661 was.

Justin
post #723 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

No, I have my mind set on this year's models, since they seem to be the perfect fit for a 46", imo. If not, well, I'll definitely settle on the 71F, if the A650 doesn't live up to anything by then.

So you are settled on the problem prone "step up" models? Awesome! Are you sharing your thoughts with those OWNERS threads? If not, I invite you to do so. I am not even sure why you participate since clearly CNET reviews are where you put all of your stock. we, the a550 owners, are just making it up when we say our PQ is phenomenal and trouble free.

Justin
post #724 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

So you are settled on the problem prone "step up" models? Awesome! Are you sharing your thoughts with those OWNERS threads? If not, I invite you to do so. I am not even sure why you participate since clearly CNET reviews are where you put all of your stock. we, the a550 owners, are just making it up when we say our PQ is phenomenal and trouble free.

Justin

*Sigh* I was going to look into this model originally, and I still might. However, since Uncle Sam may boost me up a bit, that'll give me more incentive to step up.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #725 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:

*Sigh* I was going to look into this model originally, and I still might. However, since Uncle Sam may boost me up a bit, that'll give me more incentive to step up.

I was in your position as well - looking at the 61/65/71/650 models. I came to the conclusion there are way too many issues with those models (plus older technology) and haven't heard any issue at all with the 550 series - yet.

There's always going to be something new and improved in the upcoming years, but let's face it, the technology is still being tweaked and we the consumers are guinea pigs to identify the issues.

On a side note - I have 3 large windows 5 feet away from the tv and there was some glare with the tv off initially, but once the tv was on and lit up - i could barely notice it - in plain daylight. Awesome.
post #726 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Liked: 12
I believe its still the case if you register the product with Samsung they give you an extra 3 months.

Quote:

I dunno. I don't buy extended warranties. The warranty is longer than 30 days, I believe its a year. And sammy CS has been some of the best I have dealt with as far as getting repairs done on my first two TVs.

Justin

post #727 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 PM

question: when buying a tv from amazon and getting the free shipping does that go to the doorstep?
do they give you a time?
who ships, UPS?
is it pick up?
post #728 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resteasy View Post

question: when buying a tv from amazon and getting the free shipping does that go to the doorstep?
do they give you a time?
who ships, UPS?
is it pick up?

No, it's actually "white glove" delivery from a professional service hired and contracted by Amazon called Ceva/Eagle. They do all the delivery, unpacking, and setting up for you in a room of your choice, then you sign.

post #729 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I would check out the 4661 threads if I were you. I had one, and other then specs like contrast ration and response time, there isn't much different. BUT thats just what we see. On the inside things must be vastly different because mid production sammy switched chip manufacturers on the 61/65 series and that appeared to have horrible (maybe overstated) consequences. My 4661 was awesome! If I didn't move across country I would still have it. But the late made models seem to be problem prone. Now, its been some time since I followed up with those threads, and they may have cured it by now. But as of early march, they did not. What I can tell you though is that my 500 picture is much better than my 4661 was.

Justin

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Well, they will now allow a refund and I was able to talk to another store and they will match an online price for the 550 so I'm pumped.
post #730 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm going to pick this up today. Anyone know if i'll have trouble putting this in a toyota highlander? Thanks!
post #731 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Well, they will now allow a refund and I was able to talk to another store and they will match an online price for the 550 so I'm pumped.

Awesome! I am glad it worked out for you!

Justin
post #732 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM

In response to #672 I agree on your opinion about the speakers. We buy these expensive LCD's for two reasons, a fantastic pic and hopefully excellent sound. The 550 has the worst speakers I have ever heard. If you think about it, how can speakers facing down do anything except bounce the sound off of the TV stand. My speakers have shallow echo type of sound. I had to buy a receiver and two stand alone speakers to get some decent sound, an extra $300 I shouldn't have to spend.
post #733 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

No, it's actually "white glove" delivery from a professional service hired and contracted by Amazon called Ceva/Eagle. They do all the delivery, unpacking, and setting up for you in a room of your choice, then you sign.

yeah, I can't tell if that was a serious answer or sarcasm. Would be awesome if that's what it is.
post #734 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM

In response to #721, I also don't like the idea of extended warranties. However when I purchased my new 550P from CC on 3-24-08 I went ahead and got the extra two year warranty for $269. Without the extra warranty when the TV takes a dump one week after the factory warranty runs out it will cost more than $269 to repair it.This 550 is a great TV. I took my 4665F back to CC before the thirty days and got the 550, no questions were asked. I think the 550 has a clearer pic than the 465 and seems a bit smaller and thinner. So far I am glad I made the exchange.
post #735 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah, I can't tell if that was a serious answer or sarcasm. Would be awesome if that's what it is.

That is a serious and truthful answer about white glove from amazon. And if you don't believe it, read it yourself from amazon's site or even call amazon.

Go 24
post #736 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannus View Post

I was in your position as well - looking at the 61/65/71/650 models. I came to the conclusion there are way too many issues with those models (plus older technology) and haven't heard any issue at all with the 550 series - yet.

There's always going to be something new and improved in the upcoming years, but let's face it, the technology is still being tweaked and we the consumers are guinea pigs to identify the issues.

On a side note - I have 3 large windows 5 feet away from the tv and there was some glare with the tv off initially, but once the tv was on and lit up - i could barely notice it - in plain daylight. Awesome.

Hey wannus,

I have four windows in my family room and glare is a big concern for me. The only thing holding me back from buying this set now is the amount of glare that I might see on the tv. Are the windows in your room facing the tv or on the side? The 4669 has a matte finish, but the 550 has a semi-matte finish.

I recently moved to a new house and have a lot of issues with watching tv in the family room due to the amount of windows in the room. I currently have a eight year old tube tv and watching it during the daytime is very painful.
post #737 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

That is a serious and truthful answer about white glove from amazon. And if you don't believe it, read it yourself from amazon's site or even call amazon.

Ok I was looking around the FAQ and could not find the specifics. I finally found it by searching 'white glove'. Thank you.

Yeah, it's always hard to tell when people are kidding so thank you.

By the way, I ordered it! What a crazy feeling. Not sure yet when it will be delivered but am hoping next week.
post #738 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I dont think this is the case with the free shipping...there is an xtra charge for the white glove.
free shipping is to your door step.

"maybe wrong though"
post #739 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Does any one has compared 46a650 and 46a550.
is there a lot of difference in PQ.
on paper i dont see much.
post #740 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec View Post

I dont think this is the case with the free shipping...there is an xtra charge for the white glove.
free shipping is to your door step.

Not true. Free shipping is as described above. Of course, that is based only on having 2 TVs delivered from Amazon with free shipping, so I might not have enough data points to state facts yet.

Justin
post #741 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I was looking around the FAQ and could not find the specifics. I finally found it by searching 'white glove'. Thank you.

Yeah, it's always hard to tell when people are kidding so thank you.

By the way, I ordered it! What a crazy feeling. Not sure yet when it will be delivered but am hoping next week.

Once you get the track number for your tv from amazon, you can track it from CEVA's site, http://www.cevalogistics.com/portal/...rTools/Advisor.

Then as soon as it has arrived to their local warehouse, call and schedule a deliver date/time. Don't wait for them to contact you because that could take a few extra days. Some warehouses even allow you to pick it up yourself if you so choose to.

Go 24
post #742 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack2007 View Post

In response to #672 I agree on your opinion about the speakers. We buy these expensive LCD's for two reasons, a fantastic pic and hopefully excellent sound. The 550 has the worst speakers I have ever heard. If you think about it, how can speakers facing down do anything except bounce the sound off of the TV stand. My speakers have shallow echo type of sound. I had to buy a receiver and two stand alone speakers to get some decent sound, an extra $300 I shouldn't have to spend.

Can any other owners comment on the speakers?

Is it really that atrocious? Not that we buy TVs for the sound, but I'd just like some opinions on the sound quality. It's easily solvable through a separate sound system of course but I'd like to keep this in mind.

Please comment, thanks!
post #743 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:08 PM

has anyone seen the a550 in comparison to the lg50's? They are both very close in price, but I haven't heard anything about the lg50's. I think they are available at bb and cc, or they are at least on their websites
post #744 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have a nice Yamaha Home Theater System for around $300, and think it's almost on par with a Sony or a Bose (somewhere in between). However, for a 650W system that keeps a consistent quality of sound, I do believe this is the right type of system to pair off with the Samsung TVs. That combination's something to really consider, imo.

post #745 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Well, I have a nice Yamaha Home Theater System for around $300, and think it's almost on par with a Sony or a Bose (somewhere in between). However, for a 650W system that keeps a consistent quality of sound, I do believe this is the right type of system to pair off with the Samsung TVs. That combination's something to really consider, imo.

Apparently you think Bose makes quality equipment? I'd suggest you do some(lots of) research.
post #746 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna2008 View Post

Hey wannus,

I have four windows in my family room and glare is a big concern for me. The only thing holding me back from buying this set now is the amount of glare that I might see on the tv. Are the windows in your room facing the tv or on the side? The 4669 has a matte finish, but the 550 has a semi-matte finish.

I recently moved to a new house and have a lot of issues with watching tv in the family room due to the amount of windows in the room. I currently have a eight year old tube tv and watching it during the daytime is very painful.

The windows are on the side, not facing the tv. Like I said, there's a little bit of glare for obvious reasons (sun, shades/blinds are up), but once I turned on the tv - you could notice a bit of glare, but after a minute, I honestly didn't even notice it.
post #747 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Ok, just received my 52" 550 from ABT. If anyone is thinking on wether to go with a 46" or a 52", go with the 52". I have a 46" XBR5 in my family room, and I am now wishing I went with a 52". Any way there is not a problem with glare with the 550, the screen is like my XBR a semi-glossy matte, but not a glare problem. The speakers are not the best, but just ok (the XBR's are better). SD appears to be poor so now I can't wait to get an HD cable box from Comcast for my 550 (probably need to play with the settings more). Will report more after playing with TV. I have not check the calibration thread yet but I know I will need some help.

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." - Winston Churchill
post #748 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Ayone mind posting some of their calibration settings for the 550? I have only had mine for 2 days, but have become obsessed with finding the perfect settings/picture...any suggestions? Thanks guys, this forum rocks.
post #749 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Just unbox my 550, my first take... sound is bad, really bad.
post #750 of 8397 Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcox View Post

Just unbox my 550, my first take... sound is bad, really bad.

Dammit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page