Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 73 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboogie View Post

Well, the tech guy came by today and fixed my pixelation problem. The pixelation was being caused by low signal to the set.

Here is a run down on what he did:

1. He checked the signal coming from the cable box to the tv and found that it was 3 decibles low.

2. He then checked the signal coming from the wall to the cable box and it was 1 decible low.

3. Next he went outside to where the line comes into the house and discovered that the signal was a whopping 11 decibles too low!! He also found that the type of splitter that was there was also part of the problem. He put a different type of splitter on. He stated that the old splitter was the type that allowed the signal to be decreased evenly across all of the splits. The new splitter was the type that allowed more signal to go through two of the splits and a little less to the others.

4. After installing the new splitter at the house he then went to the box where the line comes out of the ground and discovered that there was also a splitter there!! He changed that splitter to the same type he had just installed at the house and told me that I should be good to go.

5. I went in the house and sure enough no more pixelation!!!! Everything was crystal clear.

Whew, sorry for such a wordy post and I hope everyone could follow and understand what I wrote. Hopefully it can be used as a possible solution should someone have a pixelation problem in the future.

So, after a couple of splitters, you are back in business, eh!

Enjoy your new tv.

Go 24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboogie View Post

I initially had the intentions on getting the 650 because of the AMP and 120hz but when I saw the 650 in a store with sunlight shining on it from the side, the darn TOC looked as if a bucket of fire engine red paint had exploded all over the darn thing. I was truly horrified at the way it looked. Not wanting to verbally bad mouth any of his products, my salesman covered his eyes and shook his head as I commented on it. The sunlight significantly enhanced the vibrance of the red. I knew there was no way I could stomach looking at the bezel in my home with that much color on it.

I must say though, that if the set is placed in an area where it does not get a lot of side or perhaps rear sunlight, the TOC really is almost impossible to see. Unfortunately, I get side sunlight on my television at my home and because of that I withdrew any set that had a TOC bezel from my list of possibilites.

So, in my case, choosing the 550 over the 650 strictly because of the TOC was a very easy decision to make. I picked up the 46A550 and I've been extremely happy with my choice.

wow thanks for that perspective dboogie, yah i know the TOC is not that visible when its dark, but quite frankly i can see it, especially when the on screen picture shows black, but the bezel is slightly red black its very annoying.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Can anyone fill me in as to why HDMI cables are so much cheaper on monoprice than in stores like BB. I mean $6 compared to $40 and $50. Am I missing something here. Are the ones in BB that much better or just a rip off? Also anyone think the monster cables are worth the extra money?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post

Can anyone fill me in as to why HDMI cables are so much cheaper on monoprice than in stores like BB. I mean $6 compared to $40 and $50. Am I missing something here. Are the ones in BB that much better or just a rip off? Also anyone think the monster cables are worth the extra money?

Yes the cables at BB are rip offs. I order all my cables from monoprice and they all work great. There was an article on cnet recently that came to the same conclusion.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

do not get those overpriced monster cables! but if you think you are getting a better picture with those expensive cables (placebo effect) then by all means...hehe
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but has anyone checked out Circuit City. On their website, they have this April deal of the day which is $400 off for the LN40A550. It seems to be only good for today, Thursday. Very tempting, but I'm holding out for a 46in myself.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte View Post

do not get those overpriced monster cables! but if you think you are getting a better picture with those expensive cables (placebo effect) then by all means...hehe

That is where the big boxed stores make most of their money. From Accessories warranties etc. I had a buddy that worked at BB,And their Rocketfish 2m HDMI cable retail $69.99. Cost is like $9.00. Same with Monster cables, only the cost is a little more because MOnster has a cut as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Just got my Monoprice HDMI cable and it came in a clear plastic bag. What a ripoff! Monster cables are at least worth another, what, $2-$3 for their pretty packaging.

(In case you hadn't figure it out, tongue is firmly in cheek)
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

wow thanks for that perspective dboogie, yah i know the TOC is not that visible when its dark, but quite frankly i can see it, especially when the on screen picture shows black, but the bezel is slightly red black its very annoying.

No problem Dave. Speaking strictly for myself, what the bezel of the television looked like played a good part in my buying choice. Granted, it ranked below actual picture quality and feature set of the tv, but I had to atleast not be annoyed by what the bezel looked like.

I equate the bezel on a tv, to the frame on a painting you might hang on your wall. If I consider the frame to be gawdy or ugly, regardless of how beautiful the actual painting is, I still wouldn't hang the darn thing because I still have to look at and like the "overall package". Change the frame and then the "overall package" might appeal to me. I don't like the "overall package" on the Touch of Color sets.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM

I finally got around to taking some pictures. The rainbowy lines are from my camera. If I use the flash I see the flash in the pic. Oh well. haha
LL
LL
LL
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerose View Post

CEVA Shipping tracking question...

Latest status now shows "Appointment Deliver". What does that mean? Last scan for the unit was in Columbus, OH yesterday... so I am not sure if the unit is here (Atlanta) or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerose View Post

Thanks all!

TV is in the area - Scheduled delivery tomorrow afternoon

I'm in MS, and mine was scanned in Columbus, OH early this morning. I wonder if the delivery timetable to my location is the same as yours, i.e. get to town tomorrow (a day after it was scanned in Columbus) and delivered on Saturday? Wow, it would be awesome to have the TV here over the weekend to really set it up and test it.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Liked: 12
Originally planned to purchase the 40 inch 650 but after reviewing this thread I purchased the 40A550 today. Fred Meyer (Kroger version of a super Wal-Mart) stores has a three day sale thru Saturday with 20% off their regular price on all LCD and Plasma TVs. Their discounted price was $1399 on the 40A550 which came to $1119 after the 20% discount. Local store had most Series 4 and Series 5 models.

In another room I have a 46 inch 65 Series. The 550 definitely has a matt finish screen compared to the 65 series. How does one tell the source of the panel? Is it in the extended model number on the side? Apology if this question is covered elsewhere in this very long thread.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM

I made a spreadsheet for keeping track of my settings. If someone can host it so it can be shared send me a pm.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM

does anyone know if the stand that comes with the LN40A550 can actually raise the height of the TV itself? I just bought the 40A550 and I was thinking about just setting it on a very nice coffee table I was given but the coffee table is only about 2.5 ft tall and my sofa seat level is slightly taller than that and i was thinking will the tv be to low and hurt me neck when watching it? im only gonna be watching it from about 3-6 feet max. Im still waiting for it to come since i placed my order last night. Thanks in advance for those who know if you can raise the stand for the tv. or have any other suggestions for me that would help.

im also planning on putting this tv in my living room which is quite small thats why the viewing distance is only 3-6ft max on a 2ft tall coffee table
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

I finally got around to taking some pictures. The rainbowy lines are from my camera. If I use the flash I see the flash in the pic. Oh well. haha

wow nice pics! I like the saturation on that last image.

Actually the rainbow lines are from the screen, i think that's how you know its samsung made, I'm guessing, or maybe its just the liquid crystals.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Few other quick questions:

1) Samsung's website does not indicate the HDMI ports are version 1.3. Is it?

2) Does this tv handle regular cable well (plasma's normally do a better job at this)? I was considering using the tv for just my PS3/Xbox 360/Blu-Ray and using my regular tv for other content: PS2, DVD, cable viewing etc. I know PS3 can upscale but I prefer native resolution. (If it handles regular cable good, I can replace my tube tv altogether.)

3) Is there graniness in the picture? I used to watch DVDs on my LCD computer monitor and there was graniness in dark scenes.

4) Is there backlight bleeding? If the screen is pitch black and you're watching in a dark room, is the screen uniformity good?

2) Pretty good. I think my Pioneer 5070HD does it better. But why would i watch SD?
3) Some sources are grainy. And DVD's in general are a complete mixed bag. Long movies on a single disk are going to be grainy because they use higher compression.
4) For an LCD I would say the back-light bleeding is low. But it exists and because the set is big, if you are sitting really close but off-angle to any degree you will probably see minor differences in each corner. This is just because it is an LCD and I don't think any LCD does it significantly better. And _many_ do it significantly worse.

All in all I would say it is a great set. I still prefer my Pioneer plasma for viewing movies in a darkened room (I only have DVD's as the source). But especially if this is your first HDTV you will not be disappointed. Would you want to keep your old tube? Maybe, but once you live with HD for a while I cannot imagine you wanting to view SD tv signals regardless of which set you watch it on.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM

I need help. I got a LN40A550 last Friday and I like it so far but I am having problems with HDMI inputs on ports 1 and 3. (HDMI port 2 does not exhibit the problems I am about to describe.)

The setup is simple: LN40A550 connected to Philips DVP5982 or Oppo DV-980H (does not matter which DVD player is connected, but in testing only one DVD player was connected at any time.)

I am using a monoprice HDMI cable (model 3992) which has two ferrite cores molded into the cable. This cable is supposed to support HDMI 1.3a and category 2, so I thought I was buying a good cable. However, I think I read somewhere else on this forum that Samsung TV's, in general, don't like cables with ferrite cores. Too bad I didn't read that until after I ordered.

Anyway, If I plug the HDMI cable into port 1 (or 3) of the TV, I will either get a "no signal" message from the TV or it may try to display something. However, if it displays anything, it is really stuttering badly both in video and audio. It is completely unwatchable. Note that this ONLY happens in 1080p mode; other lower-resolution modes appear to work fine. I may also see random white pixels appear and disappear very quickly all over the screen, and random streaks of pixel lines going across the screen. It is as if the HDMI signal quality is so poor that the Samsung HDMI decoder cannot properly process the signal data. Mind you, the cable is only 6 feet long.

Maybe I have a bad cable? Yeah, I thought so too... Since the Oppo DVD player came with an HDMI cable, I started testing with that. It also has ferrite cores on both ends, though they are further away from the connector ends than the monoprice cable. MUCH better picture quality (actually watchable), but still not perfect on HDMI 1 or 3. I still see white pixels appear and disappear randomly on the screen, though it is not as bad as before. Stuttering appears to be almost non-existent (I thought I saw one stutter in 45 minutes of DVD movie playing), however the video quality still does not match HDMI port 2, which is absolutely 100% perfect (no random white pixels, just pure stable video).

I know a couple others have posted in this thread about the same or similar issue. Has anyone determined what could be the problem?

I have ordered monoprice HDMI cable model 3661 to see if removing the ferrite cores makes any difference.

Since both HDMI cables work perfectly on HDMI port 2, why won't they work on ports 1 or 3? Seems like a bug in the firmware to me.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
- Brian
Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Would you want to keep your old tube? Maybe, but once you live with HD for a while I cannot imagine you wanting to view SD tv signals regardless of which set you watch it on.

I probably will, a lot of my favorite tv shows are standard def, so I'll keep it. Yeah it'll be my first HDTV. It's just the release of some great PS3/Xbox 360 games, now's a pretty good time to buy an HDTV. My Xbox 360 Premium does have HDMI output

I'm trying to decide btw this tv or Samsung PN50A550 plasma. It seems image retention and burn-in not much of an issue anymore once you break-in the tv.

If I choose the LCD, not sure if 46-inch or 52-inch? I sit about 6 to 7 feet from tv.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Liked: 12
I just saw the Samsung 550 series 46 inch LCD in a local store. It is beautiful. Why question is when did the Samsung 550 series first go on sale in stores?

This set looks beautiful BOTH when it is on and also when it is off. I love the black gloss piano finish.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

I probably will, a lot of my favorite tv shows are standard def, so I'll keep it. Yeah it'll be my first HDTV. It's just the release of some great PS3/Xbox 360 games, now's a pretty good time to buy an HDTV. My Xbox 360 Premium does have HDMI output

I'm trying to decide btw this tv or Samsung PN50A550 plasma. It seems image retention and burn-in not much of an issue anymore once you break-in the tv.

If I choose the LCD, not sure if 46-inch or 52-inch? I sit about 6 to 7 feet from tv.

A little background. I went through a Vizio 50" plasma (pop-of death) and a Panasonic 50px60u. I now own a Pioneer 5070HD and Samsung 46a550. Each set has it's strengths, none is completely 100% better then the others.

I kept the Pioneer over the Panasonic and Vizio because the processing is simply much better. But the software of the Vizio was better and black levels of the Panasonic were better.

I bought an LCD (46a550) mostly for video games and to put in a place where plasma would suck: A very well lit room with 6+ windows.

My son has played 40+ hours of lego star wars on the Pioneer plasma. I did have a little IR once (there are static rings of color in the top left and right hand side throughout every minute of the game!). But it went away in one day. That being said, I moved the wii to the LCD. If one of the primary usages of your TV is going to be video gaming I personally would not buy a plasma. And out of all the LCD's out there for gaming, this one is pretty good.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

A little background. I went through a Vizio 50" plasma (pop-of death) and a Panasonic 50px60u. I now own a Pioneer 5070HD and Samsung 46a550. Each set has it's strengths, none is completely 100% better then the others.

I kept the Pioneer over the Panasonic and Vizio because the processing is simply much better. But the software of the Vizio was better and black levels of the Panasonic were better.

I bought an LCD (46a550) mostly for video games and to put in a place where plasma would suck: A very well lit room with 6+ windows.

My son has played 40+ hours of lego star wars on the Pioneer plasma. I did have a little IR once (there are static rings of color in the top left and right hand side throughout every minute of the game!). But it went away in one day. That being said, I moved the wii to the LCD. If one of the primary usages of your TV is going to be video gaming I personally would not buy a plasma. And out of all the LCD's out there for gaming, this one is pretty good.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to see the 46-inch and 52-inch in person, I'll probably get the 46-inch. It would be used for only games. Another user I know uses a Pioneer Kuro plasma for gaming. Pic: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5020/68210910ep4.jpg
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM

On checking out with amazon I see a place to check "coupons". This may sound like a dumb question, but, how does one get these coupons and does it really help? The 46a550 is a real bargain, but, even so, it is still A LOT OF MONEY. Any little bit would help. They say they are "in stock", so, I suppose that means they got them back into inventory - yes?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Just got an A550, and like it so far, but I have one issue... I've been watching a basketball game, and I notice that the court, wood floor, looks wierd when the camera is swtiching from one side of the court to the other. The court kind of becomes grainy/snowy when the team is bring the ball to the other side of the court and the camera is following them.. I am watching the game on TNT HD , which I know doesn't really have good HD feeds , but same happens on MOJO HD for basketball... is this a common problem? does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Well, I'm typing to you guys from my new logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. I bought this so i can lay back in bed and use the computer on my new 40A550, WHICH I receive TOMORROW btw

yay
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

Originally planned to purchase the 40 inch 650 but after reviewing this thread I purchased the 40A550 today. Fred Meyer (Kroger version of a super Wal-Mart) stores has a three day sale thru Saturday with 20% off their regular price on all LCD and Plasma TVs. Their discounted price was $1399 on the 40A550 which came to $1119 after the 20% discount. Local store had most Series 4 and Series 5 models.

In another room I have a 46 inch 65 Series. The 550 definitely has a matt finish screen compared to the 65 series. How does one tell the source of the panel? Is it in the extended model number on the side? Apology if this question is covered elsewhere in this very long thread.

Since you have both in your house, what do you like better the 550 or the 65?

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." - Winston Churchill
Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 PM

I recently got the LN46A550P. Eveything works on this perfectly so far for me except the audio on HDMI. I have Philips DVP 5982 connected to this TV over HDMI cable. When I switch on the TV first which on HDMI-1 or HDMI-2 and then switch on the DVD player, I don't get the audio from the TV. If switch off and on the TV, then I get the audio. This problem is not 100% reproducible in normal mode. If I keep the TV audio in AUTO VOLUME, this behaviour is 100% reproducible. Is there anyone experience the same problem? This is some time annyoing if we stop the DVD and start, you don't get audio. I need to restart the TV for that.

Can anyone tell any better options in TV to solve this problem???
Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Got a call an hour ago from Eagle/CEVA. Seems they messed up and that the TV will be delivered in the morning and not afternoon.

I had to give me my cell # again - so I hopeful that they do give me a 30-minute call-ahead.

In other news, got a stand this evening (Init NT-C1140). Like the look of it...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurph View Post

I had a 52LN550 delivered last week...this is my first HDTV. I've been watching a lot of hockey on Versus HD...and I've been experiencing a random flicker or flash on the screen...it happens quite a bit and it's kind of annoying. It's been happening with every game I've watched except for one...that I can remember.

It's only been occurring on Versus Hockey during on-ice action. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Deinterlacing? I assume it's the source, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else been watching hockey and noticed the same thing?

It happens with both component and DVI-HDMI cables which are from Monoprice. Also, I have a Comcast DTC6412 HD DVR box (mfg. 2005).

Above is my post #1857...Here's a video of what I was describing...sorry about the quality....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rftOjjQrmpE
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I have the same problem. I am switching to a phone service and the cable company has to put in a new cable underground because mine does not have good enough signal for phone. When they do that I will let them know about the pixellation problem and also about all my old splitters as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM

I recently got the LN46A550P. Eveything works on this perfectly so far for me except the audio on HDMI. I have Philips DVP 5982 connected to this TV over HDMI cable. When I switch on the TV first which on HDMI-1 or HDMI-2 and then switch on the DVD player, I don't get the audio from the TV. If switch off and on the TV, then I get the audio. This problem is not 100% reproducible in normal mode. If I keep the TV audio in AUTO VOLUME, this behaviour is 100% reproducible. Is there anyone experience the same problem? This is some time annyoing if we stop the DVD and start, you don't get audio. I need to restart the TV for that.

Can anyone tell any better options in TV to solve this problem???