Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiservt View Post

Have any of the notable review organizations done a review of the A550? I know Cnet did a review for the A650. I just wanted to see what other folks have to say, even though I do trust all of your opinions!

I am looking for this as well.

Does anyone know what other panels I might consider shopping/comparing against the 52A550? I am pretty sure that my final purchase will go to the Sammy, but would like to be as thorough as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwindow View Post

I am looking for this as well.

Does anyone know what other panels I might consider shopping/comparing against the 52A550? I am pretty sure that my final purchase will go to the Sammy, but would like to be as thorough as possible.

The new Sony V4100 that just came out.

Go 24
post #2793 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM

This is going to be my second TV replacement from Samsung. I started out with an LNT5265F which looked amazing but was acting up. Samsung exchanged it and the model I got had the infamous cortez processor which leaves you with a grainy picture and color banding problems. I finally called them up today after having the techs replace the mobo twice on it and they are sending me a different model now : LN52A550.

Does anyone here own this model? if so, do you notice any graininess or visual issues with it such as ghosting or color banding? This was my problem with the cortez version of the LNT5265F TV so I am a bit paranoid about the A550 since I have never really seen it in action.

Thanks much
post #2794 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

The new Sony V4100 that just came out.

Thanks Taurus- The Bravia appears to be more in line with the A650 series. Pricing for the V4100 52inch (currently pre-order) is in the area of $500+ more than the A550. I am not very familiar with the Bravia line, so please let me know if I am mistaken.
post #2795 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Liked: 11
Does this model share the same upscaler as the 650 model? I'm pretty impressed with the SS's in that thread.
post #2796 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Can anyone help me?

The reason I decided to get a new set was because I just couldn't bare having to live with the "silk screen effect" of my LED DLP... after seeing how well the 550 was received, and knowing there was no chance of the SSE, I decided to buy it. I use my TV for mostly gaming btw.

I got the TV a few days ago and so far i'm pretty happy. No dead pixels and picture quality is great after tweaking it a bit. The main thing that is bothering me is a very vague bit of smearing/motion blur that I can notice at times. I feel that although small, it stops me from having a crystal clear picture. I've made sure that DNR is off (as I always did with my hlt5087s), but I seem to notice some kind of small smearing on this set even with it off.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great set otherwise... what I am wondering is: is smearing or blurring normal with this set? If it's not, then mine is probably defective... right?

Any and all help is appreciated!
post #2797 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM

I've searched but can't find anything on this issue:

I have the 46A55O and a Samsung DVD hooked up through HDMI cable. It finds the DVD player with no problems ("AnyNet" dwvice), however, I get the message "No signal." I've tried refreshing the connections in the "Source" screen with no luck. The only way I can get the picture is by unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in. Is this a cable problem, handshake problem, etc.?

Any help is appreciated.
post #2798 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar1 View Post

I've searched but can't find anything on this issue:

I have the 46A55O and a Samsung DVD hooked up through HDMI cable. It finds the DVD player with no problems ("AnyNet" dwvice), however, I get the message "No signal." I've tried refreshing the connections in the "Source" screen with no luck. The only way I can get the picture is by unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in. Is this a cable problem, handshake problem, etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

It could be the HDMI cable. I know from experience that some older HDMI cables will not pass a 1080P signal properly. So try 1080i and see if that works, if it does then its the cable itself.
post #2799 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

It could be the HDMI cable. I know from experience that some older HDMI cables will not pass a 1080P signal properly. So try 1080i and see if that works, if it does then its the cable itself.

My DVD player can only do 1080i. Would that fact indicate that it is NOT a cable issue. Probably the only way to know for sure is to buy another cable and try it.

Thanks for the help.
post #2800 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike15619 View Post

hello all
I have a question, I am thinking of buying the 550 I would like to know if anyone has turned on the Closed Caption of this set,
The reason I ask is that I use it and would be wondering if anyone could try it out and see if the 550 has Closed Caption options like font size, font color where the Captions are on the screen. I also am not sure if you can get Closed Caption using HDMI but I know you can with other hook up options like component, Also does the Caption Pop up on the screen as the words are said or do the words scroll or are they differant depending on the show

I would really be thankful for any Info anyone could give

Mike

Does anyone know if you can get Closed Caption using HDMI? This I need to know for sure. Thanks.

Pat
post #2801 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Tried doing a search with-in this thread if anyone is using the LN32A550P as a computer monitor, compared to the SHARP LC32GP3U-B, thanks for any info anyone can give.
post #2802 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to compare the LN40A550 to the Toshiba 40RF350U side by side??

I am looking for a 40" LCD for mostly gaming, Hi Def TV and a few blu-rays via the PS3. I have a TV cabinet that the new TV "MUST" fit in (wife requirement) and the Toshiba is a perfect size with the slim bezel, but the Sammy A550 will barely fit. (Part of the top bezel will be obscured, but the screen will be 100% visible)

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has compared the two TV's? I have seen both in stores, but they were at separate stores so there was no way to compare. both can be purchased for about the same price online ($1175-$1250)
post #2803 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible777 View Post

I've been reading here every day as I anxiously await for my LN40A550 to get here... question for some of you who had delivery via CEVA:

The CEVA tracking shows arrival date today, May 5. It's located in a town about 25 miles away. How does it work from here... will they call me today to arrange delivery today? Or do they call to arrange delivery for later in the week?

I also saw some posts about calling them up and politely asking them if delivering today would be possible... any advice?

Excited!! Upgrading from a 24" Toshiba tube.

I hope you called. . . I had an issue with them not calling when the TV came in there that I stated two pages ago, and pretty much expected me to call and set an appointment. Hopefully you don't have to wait another day like I did :-(
post #2804 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

Has anyone been able to compare the LN40A550 to the Toshiba 40RF350U side by side??

I am looking for a 40" LCD for mostly gaming, Hi Def TV and a few blu-rays via the PS3. I have a TV cabinet that the new TV "MUST" fit in (wife requirement) and the Toshiba is a perfect size with the slim bezel, but the Sammy A550 will barely fit. (Part of the top bezel will be obscured, but the screen will be 100% visible)

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has compared the two TV's? I have seen both in stores, but they were at separate stores so there was no way to compare. both can be purchased for about the same price online ($1175-$1250)

The Samsung is gonna be the better tv.
post #2805 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar1 View Post

My DVD player can only do 1080i. Would that fact indicate that it is NOT a cable issue. Probably the only way to know for sure is to buy another cable and try it.

Thanks for the help..

Oh sorry, I thought you were using a blu-ray player. You could try setting the dvd player to 480P, and let your TV do the up-converting. Or it may just be an older/inexpensive model DVD player that isn't 100% bug proof with the HDMI. Well try all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, if they all do the same thing then chances are its either the cable or the DVD player.
post #2806 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

Oh sorry, I thought you were using a blu-ray player. You could try setting the dvd player to 480P, and let your TV do the up-converting. Or it may just be an older/inexpensive model DVD player that isn't 100% bug proof with the HDMI. Well try all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, if they all do the same thing then chances are its either the cable or the DVD player.

Good ideas! Thanks.
post #2807 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I've had my ln40a550 for one week now and would like to post some feedback, and hopefully receive some too.

This is my first hdtv. I have been mainly using setting posted by thebeginning from the calibration thread (which uses the dynamic mode.) I've also tried calibrating on my own in movie mode, using a AviaII dvd (I have an older dvd which does 480p, connected via component.) I wasn't all that thrilled w/my own calibration results so I also tried some of the 'tweaked' settings found on that thread via Cripsy (and others.) I don't particularly care for those though.

Regardless...
At the moment, I'm hooked up straight from the wall to the tv w/the coax. No cablebox. Actually, I recently plugged in a Belkin surge protector so the coax goes into it and another one goes from that to the tv.

I'm in Montgomery Co, MD, with RCN as the provider.
Most HD channels look great. ESPN 1 & 2, Food Network, most studio local news. Really nice.
Fast-moving action... depends. I've seen others post this same thing w/little feedback. This weekend, I watched hockey and the Kentucky Derby (NBC.) When the camera isn't panning, it really does look great. But the picture does get quite pixelated otherwise. On still shots, designs like a man's tie w/lots of close,parallel lines can look like they bleed. Hard to describe. Text can sometimes look blocky. It's mostly pretty minor but it's noticeable. I'm not sure if it's just the cable, the network, the particular show, the tv or the settings.

I also may have a minor interference issue. Occasionally, I'll see faint horizontal gray lines that come and go during various shots. It's infrequent though.

On the National Geographic channel, many shows (a lot of them) stutter. Audio is perfectly fine but the pic with stutter every few seconds. Very odd. I posted a question like this elsewhere and at least one other person sees the same thing but not quite as intensely as I do. And it's just that one channel.

I have audio going to my home theater 5.1 via a digital optical cable. But watching some shows recently, I've noticed that the audio seems to lag behind the video (or the other way around? I forget.) My receiver has instruction on how to fix this but I've not been successful w/it.

thanks
post #2808 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttsdc View Post

I've had my ln40a550 for one week now and would like to post some feedback, and hopefully receive some too.

This is my first hdtv. I have been mainly using setting posted by thebeginning from the calibration thread (which uses the dynamic mode.) I've also tried calibrating on my own in movie mode, using a AviaII dvd (I have an older dvd which does 480p, connected via component.) I wasn't all that thrilled w/my own calibration results so I also tried some of the 'tweaked' settings found on that thread via Cripsy (and others.) I don't particularly care for those though.

Most HD channels look great. ESPN 1 & 2, Food Network, most studio local news. Really nice.
Fast-moving action... depends. I've seen others post this same thing w/little feedback. This weekend, I watched hockey and the Kentucky Derby (NBC.) When the camera isn't panning, it really does look great. But the picture does get quite pixelated otherwise. On still shots, designs like a man's tie w/lots of close,parallel lines can look like they bleed. Hard to describe. Text can sometimes look blocky. It's mostly pretty minor but it's noticeable. I'm not sure if it's just the cable, the network, the particular show, the tv or the settings.

thanks

How does the ticker on ESPN HD look? do you get any blurring or smearing or ghosting?
On my 50" the ticker sometimes looks choppy, but It might have to do with the fact that ESPN is 720P not 1080i!? My TV is 1080P so it has to upconvert the ESPN feeds. I have noticed that with my TV and Directv, the local NBC, CBS, and others seem to have a better looking "HD" than ESPN's "HD"
post #2809 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1023121&page=4

This has some comparison pics between the new 40V4100 and the 40A550. Any thoughts on difference in PQ? I'd like to consider myself a Samsung faithful and want to get the 40A550 to replace a 4066F but the Sony set in those pics does look nice.

Anyones thoughts on how they stack up? response times? etc?

My Home Theater Setup

Xbox LIVE- aKa DaShiznit
PSN - aKa_DaShiznit
post #2810 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM

ESPN HD looks awesome on my 46a550. I am highly impressed by all my HD channels. When watching sports though I change to the Sports mode.. if I keep it on Dynamic the action seems to blur a little during fast scenes. I am very satisfied with this TV and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade. It's a great starter HD TV.
post #2811 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1023121&page=4

This has some comparison pics between the new 40V4100 and the 40A550. Any thoughts on difference in PQ? I'd like to consider myself a Samsung faithful and want to get the 40A550 to replace a 4066F but the Sony set in those pics does look nice.

Anyones thoughts on how they stack up? response times? etc?

i saw the v4100 in store but it wasn't bluray feed. I was impressed by the de juddering, everything seemed 120hz like even though this set doesnt advertise it as being 120hz, i believe it does has a 120hz processor devoted purely to dejudder, pans etc.. looked exceptionally 120hz like without any fake frames inserted, this was on a fry's crap feed and still noticeable. As for motion blur, yes i still noticed the sony still was blurry even though the frame rate was smoother, there was still a feeling of some blur in peoples faces, it must be the same 8ms refresh rate thats the cause.
post #2812 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Regardless...
At the moment, I'm hooked up straight from the wall to the tv w/the coax. No cablebox. Actually, I recently plugged in a Belkin surge protector so the coax goes into it and another one goes from that to the tv.

I also may have a minor interference issue. Occasionally, I'll see faint horizontal gray lines that come and go during various shots. It's infrequent though.

On the National Geographic channel, many shows (a lot of them) stutter. Audio is perfectly fine but the pic with stutter every few seconds. Very odd. I posted a question like this elsewhere and at least one other person sees the same thing but not quite as intensely as I do. And it's just that one channel.

I have audio going to my home theater 5.1 via a digital optical cable. But watching some shows recently, I've noticed that the audio seems to lag behind the video (or the other way around? I forget.) My receiver has instruction on how to fix this but I've not been successful w/it.

thanks

Pixelated pictures sound like low signal strength to me. On the free HD channels check your signal strength via the menu. You also might try disconnecting the cable from the surge protector and running it right to the tv.
post #2813 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

How does the ticker on ESPN HD look? do you get any blurring or smearing or ghosting?
On my 50" the ticker sometimes looks choppy, but It might have to do with the fact that ESPN is 720P not 1080i!? My TV is 1080P so it has to upconvert the ESPN feeds. I have noticed that with my TV and Directv, the local NBC, CBS, and others seem to have a better looking "HD" than ESPN's "HD"

The ticker is mostly smooth. Occasionally choppy. I just seem to notice that fast-moving content, even graphics, might look a bit blocky/pixelated. It's quite minor but it's there. As soon as the image or camera settles down, it goes away. But for me, ESPN HD is much nicer than NBC.
post #2814 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thavas View Post

Pixelated pictures sound like low signal strength to me. On the free HD channels check your signal strength via the menu. You also might try disconnecting the cable from the surge protector and running it right to the tv.

I'll do that. But is there anyway to improve the signal strength?
I had the cable straight to the tv for most of a week. There seemed to be no difference in quality when I switched it.

One thing that is odd, and I may have mentioned it earlier but nobody commented on it. When my cellphone rings, that channel (NBC) actually gets all distorted and may even drop out. The tv will then say 'Weak or Scrambled Signal'. So, you are right. It could be a weak signal. I just don't quite know how to fix it or why my cellphone would do this.

I'm in a new house so it's all a bit odd but the cable basically runs from the utility pole along the side of my house and then goes into the ground where it comes straight into my basement. it goes to one two-way splitter before coming out into my living room (and another room.) In fact, it's not even in an outlet in the wall. Stupid person who lived there before me drilled a hole in the floor so the cable just comes up through the floor.
post #2815 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM

The V4100 has the 4th HDMI port and seams very comparable spec wise but im unsure which will have the better overall PQ and performance. I just wanna get the best set i can at that price. I'm on my 3rd 66F with HDMI issues and bad clouding and had 2 71F's prior to the 66F's. One of these sets will be an exchange replacement from Best Buy for my 4066F. Guess I will just have to bite on one and if not happy return again and give the other one a try.

My Home Theater Setup

Xbox LIVE- aKa DaShiznit
PSN - aKa_DaShiznit
post #2816 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepiano View Post

Can anyone help me?

The reason I decided to get a new set was because I just couldn't bare having to live with the "silk screen effect" of my LED DLP... after seeing how well the 550 was received, and knowing there was no chance of the SSE, I decided to buy it. I use my TV for mostly gaming btw.

I got the TV a few days ago and so far i'm pretty happy. No dead pixels and picture quality is great after tweaking it a bit. The main thing that is bothering me is a very vague bit of smearing/motion blur that I can notice at times. I feel that although small, it stops me from having a crystal clear picture. I've made sure that DNR is off (as I always did with my hlt5087s), but I seem to notice some kind of small smearing on this set even with it off.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great set otherwise... what I am wondering is: is smearing or blurring normal with this set? If it's not, then mine is probably defective... right?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Look at this thread, is the smearing similar?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=Ghosting
post #2817 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I'm in a new house so it's all a bit odd but the cable basically runs from the utility pole along the side of my house and then goes into the ground where it comes straight into my basement. it goes to one two-way splitter before coming out into my living room (and another room.)

Someone had similar problems with signal strength (in this thread) but I don't think the person was using the ATSC/QAM Tuner. However, the person got a cable service person to come out to check it out. They found several points where the signal was degraded. Yours could be degraded due to outside interference (like your cell phone), due to a problem before it even gets into your house, or due to your splitter (or due to other things that you have connected to the splitter).

The previous posting mention that the service rep changed the splitter to a "new style" that helped, among other things, to improve the signal. So you may want to get the cable guy to come out and check it out.

Hopefully there is not a problem with the ATSC/QAM tuner with the TV. I don't think that many (if any) people who have posted here are using the ATSC/QAM tuner.
post #2818 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM

I got my 46A550 yesterday and it is replacing my broken 42 Philips Plasma with ambilight. I am little disapointed with the sound and SD quality. I guess Philips sound was better as my friends have told me about it. But I also wonder if it is anything to do with the fact that speakers in Sammy are the hidden ones and may be blasting it into my entertainment center there by distorting (tv is placed on entertainment center).

Also, is the SD supposed to be worse with LCD or is it because the screen size is higher than my previous one (42 to 46 but that is not a big change I think). Is it something to do with my settings, I am pretty much at factory settings as of now.

Anyone here moved from plasma to LCD, what is general feeling of such a move. I picked LCD primarily because of low power usage and the possiblity of connecting PC.
post #2819 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I had the cable straight to the tv for most of a week. There seemed to be no difference in quality when I switched it.

One thing that is odd, and I may have mentioned it earlier but nobody commented on it. When my cellphone rings, that channel (NBC) actually gets all distorted and may even drop out. The tv will then say 'Weak or Scrambled Signal'. So, you are right. It could be a weak signal. I just don't quite know how to fix it or why my cellphone would do this.

I'm in a new house so it's all a bit odd but the cable basically runs from the utility pole along the side of my house and then goes into the ground where it comes straight into my basement. it goes to one two-way splitter before coming out into my living room (and another room.) In fact, it's not even in an outlet in the wall. Stupid person who lived there before me drilled a hole in the floor so the cable just comes up through the floor.

Is the cable you are connecting the TV to the service with the newer RG6 type? You might try a new cable, but as someone else said, if the signal coming into your house is weak it won't help much.

Yes, my cable company hates me now that I have TV's with signal strength meters. My whole neighborhood had issues for a while, but over the last few months they have been out about half a dozen times replacing line amplifiers.
post #2820 of 8399 Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Is anyone able to help with the questions about Close Captions
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page