Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently watching nascar with AMP high, even though I hate nascar, it looks really, really good.

Sorry don't mean to ramble, I'm just in awe of this thing right now, never seen a picture this clear and in focus. doesnt seem to suffer the out of focus problems the 71 had. I think it may be because of the faster screen 4 ms vs the 6 on the 71.

Mosh~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing that bugs the heck out of me on the 71 is when i'm watching movies that have flashing lights (cop cars, sirens, club scenes, anything like that) I see blur during the flashing. If you understand what i mean. Do you see this on the 650?
post #273 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Well on my 71 i do like the way amp looks with blu ray (animated) movies except for the tbe, so i suppose it if it actually works a little better thats a plus. And if it looks better on the normal modes with amp off vs the 71 with amp off thats also a plus. I gotta make up my mind real quick here time is ticking lol

Dude, go now, don't hesitate. If anything you could always go back to the 71, but I doubt you will after you see this thing go.

Mosh~~
post #274 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing that bugs the heck out of me on the 71 is when i'm watching movies that have flashing lights (cop cars, sirens, club scenes, anything like that) I see blur during the flashing. If you understand what i mean. Do you see this on the 650?

I am watching basketball, and you know how many flashes there are in a game, I haven't seen any blur whatsoever man.

Mosh~~

Edit: One other thing is I just looked at my signal strength with my OTA antennae and I only get 3 bars, so I can only imagine how it looks with all 10 lit. The speakers on the tv are great, you also have an EQ to customize the sound besides the preset ones.
post #275 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Thats the base covr for wall mounting when you remove the base (the thing marked front). The other is a ferite core if you have interference.

Now that I have over the air hooked up I can say this TV kicks ass, no doubt. No haloing around objects no TBE while watching basketball. This TV handles regular satelite beautifully as well. I am VERY happy, and AMP seems just as strong as the 71 after sitting here watching it.

I highly recommend this TV!

The speakers sound good as noted by the above posts.

I did get TCE on Gears of War on the 360 while spinning, but its barely there and you can tell its creating the front frame and the back frame, which is just quick flashes, not solid like on the 71. also again no haloing. This is with component hook up with my 360.

I am currently using an over the air antenae and s video from my satelite box, waiting to upgrade to hd satelite.

Mosh~~

Thanks, and thanks to the gent that posted the same info about the panel above. I am waiting on the cable company to bring over a DVR for my room this next week before I can watch anything other than Blu-rays on this set. Does this set pick up HD signal from the air without an external antenna?

AMP on medium is the best for me. High is just too much.
post #276 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

Thanks, and thanks to the gent that posted the same info about the panel above. I am waiting on the cable company to bring over a DVR for my room this next week before I can watch anything other than Blu-rays on this set. Does this set pick up HD signal from the air without an external antenna?

AMP on medium is the best for me. High is just too much.

Pretty sure you'll need at least an old rabbit ear to pull signals from over the air. I'm in a basement where my entertainment room is so I for sure need one until I climb up and add something to my dish so I can just split my satelite.

Mosh~~
post #277 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude, go now, don't hesitate. If anything you could always go back to the 71, but I doubt you will after you see this thing go.

Mosh~~

Oh i know i need to just do it lol, i am on the verge, i brought the box out of my basement and everything . Only hard part is i paid about $1200 less then the 71 i have. Do the math and you'll see how cheap i got it. And if for any reason i dont like the 650, there is Know way i will get the 71 that cheap again. All tho i will use a 10% coupon so that will knock the difference down a few hundred. But i am sure you can all understand why i am hesitant. My gf is seriously getting so pissed right now because i cant make up my mind (she doesnt care either way she just wants me to get a tv and keep it lol)
post #278 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Oh i know i need to just do it lol, i am on the verge, i brought the box out of my basement and everything . Only hard part is i paid about $1200 less then the 71 i have. Do the math and you'll see how cheap i got it. And if for any reason i dont like the 650, there is Know way i will get the 71 that cheap again. All tho i will use a 10% coupon so that will knock the difference down a few hundred. But i am sure you can all understand why i am hesitant. My gf is seriously getting so pissed right now because i cant make up my mind (she doesnt care either way she just wants me to get a tv and keep it lol)

Do you have any other tvs? Why don't you take the 71 series back and then wait a little while for prices to drop on the 650?
post #279 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats a tough position to be in. The only thing I can say is are you happy with it? If you are then just keep it and move. You just have to weigh when you see this are you gonna kick yourself?

Mosh~~
post #280 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogg_23 View Post

Do you have any other tvs? Why don't you take the 71 series back and then wait a little while for prices to drop on the 650?

Its not even really the fact that i have to pay that much more. Its the fact that if i dont like it, i have to pay a lot more for the same tv i have now if i buy it back. But its just a gamble. I'm not to worried about the price of the 650 tho cause i am sure the price will drop within BB's price match period.
post #281 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM

I am trying to decide either on getting the New Panasonic 42' Plasma TH-42PZ85U. For 2 days on BB.com they are running a special with a free massage leather chair with the purchase (cannot use the 10% coupon) 499.99 Value for free in the chair. Or get the 40A650. I have the money for both and there is a big price difference between the two.

What I will use the TV for.
Lots of Video Games. I have a Ps3 and a Xbox 360.
Watching Sports and Blu Ray movies.
What TV would be best for what I want to use it for?

What do you guys think? I was going with the 650 but then saw the chair deal and was like uhhhhhhhhhhh I dont know.
post #282 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats a tough position to be in. The only thing I can say is are you happy with it? If you are then just keep it and move. You just have to weigh when you see this are you gonna kick yourself?

Mosh~~

Well i am happy with what i have, despite a few flaws that get a bit more annoying as time goes on. I think i worry more about kicking myself if i dont do it and then finding it the 650 is in fact better. If it truely looks better, and has less blur, and the 4ms actually makes a difference, and the amp actually works a bit better. I do think its worth it. Ahhh i'll figure it out, maybe just go with my gut feeling. I do appreciate the info all of you new 650 users have shared. Thanks.
post #283 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Its not even really the fact that i have to pay that much more. Its the fact that if i dont like it, i have to pay a lot more for the same tv i have now if i buy it back. But its just a gamble. I'm not to worried about the price of the 650 tho cause i am sure the price will drop within BB's price match period.

Do you have enough funds or a credit card to buy the 650 and try it out while you still have your 71? That way you could take it back if you don't like it and you won't lose your price on the 71.
post #284 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodes View Post

Do you have enough funds or a credit card to buy the 650 and try it out while you still have your 71? That way you could take it back if you don't like it and you won't lose your price on the 71.

I wish i did, that would be the easiest and least stressful option, unfortunately no i dont. Thank you for the suggestion tho.
post #285 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am currently watching nascar with AMP high, even though I hate nascar, it looks really, really good.

Sorry don't mean to ramble, I'm just in awe of this thing right now, never seen a picture this clear and in focus. doesnt seem to suffer the out of focus problems the 71 had. I think it may be because of the faster screen 4 ms vs the 6 on the 71.

Mosh~~

now that is some good positive info. Blur on the 71 makes me sick. Is that on the entertainment modes, or the regular modes?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #286 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by megapopular View Post

This camera isn't getting the same view that I see on this sh**ty Time Warner cable... but you can get an idea of the quality of the screen... still all natural lighting... I have an ambient light behind my TV... most watching is at night, though... about to find a Blu-Ray with dark sceens... then it's on to Call of Duty 4... what tests can I do to see about blur, smearing, TBE, etc???

How did your COD4 testing turn out. Black and other dark colors smear like crazy on my XBR4 and it's 6ms. I'm interested in how these sets perform with fast motion given the 4ms response time.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #287 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

now that is some good positive info. Blur on the 71 makes me sick. Is that on the entertainment modes, or the regular modes?

Yeah i mean that alone makes it really hard not to wanna at least try it. If blur is better, because it is bad on the 71 at times. But it is definetly a big plus if the blur level is the same on both modes. It would be a shame to have to use entertainment mode to get rid of blur.
post #288 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I would really like to know if the "improved specs" really can be seen.

1). With the 4ms panel, is there less motion blur WHILE IN THE REGULAR MODES, NOT THE ENTERTAINMENT MODES? Particularly, do faces stay in focus during movement, or do you get a slight blur. I get a slight blur a lot of times on the 71 with just the slightst movement of someones head.

2). Just about any of the newer LCD's will have good blacks in a lighted room. But in a darkened room, are the blacks of the 650 better than the blacks of the 71?

3). When Lost is on this week, if someone could record it and watch part of it in one of the regular modes (not entertainment), and turn AMP to medium and tell me if everything is smooth, or if you are getting stutter. I get huge stutter whenever I turn on AMP with Lost. If I turn it off, no stutter. BTW, for those of you with a 71, this is a great test. Also look for Vapor.

4). Again, in a NON-Entertainment mode, could someone turn on Hockey and see if they get triple puck effect. I don't watch hockey, but it seems to be a good candidate for TBE.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #289 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I wish i did, that would be the easiest and least stressful option, unfortunately no i dont. Thank you for the suggestion tho.

Hey, just make an almost unnoticeable mark on the TV and/or the box and quickly see how well you like the 650 model. If you absolutely don't think it's a substantial enough improvement you may have a shot at getting your exact TV back as an open box special! Just a thought. The reason I say to mark the TV and box is that I've heard that some 71's perform quite differently from other ones.
post #290 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Just using regular ol standard mode, no entertainment for me. it is really clear, thats for sure, and this is based on my signal strength only being 3-4 bars out of 10. I don't know how fox is usually, but it looks great.

Mosh~~

PS
I have read virtually every post in the 71 series thread so I know the issues you have, and they are many. I think this TV so far has resolved alot of those issues the 71 was having, and they fixed them with gusto IMO.
post #291 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

You could always open a BB credit card for just this experiment.
post #292 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM

I am honestly thinking of keeping this til early April... then trying out the XBR4... then I will pick the the series 7 46 inch model when it comes out in May... I think its worth finding out if the processor is an improvement upon the series 6 model.
post #293 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am honestly thinking of keeping this til early April... then trying out the XBR4... then I will pick the the series 7 46 inch model when it comes out in May... I think its worth finding out if the processor is an improvement upon the series 6 model.

So you must not be to confident on the set then, or so it seems if you plan on returning it.
post #294 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM

LN46A550 is on the Samsung Website now!!!
post #295 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Interesting read... on Samsung site it shows a contrast ratio of 30,000:1 and the sticker on my set says 50,000:1... hmm... LOL
post #296 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 PM

I've finally made up my mind and I am going to return my 71 tomorrow and get the 650. The only problem I have with my 71 is flickering on certain blacklight levels. I have a week to return the 71, and Best Buy has the 650s in the regional warehouse. Plus it costing $400 less helps too.
post #297 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LN46A650 is on the Samsung Website now!!!

Really, i cant find it, all that comes up is the 550. I honestly think that is the 550 you are looking at because i looked all over that website and that is the only one i see. If you truely see the 650 can u post a link please.
post #298 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Interesting read... on Samsung site it shows a contrast ratio of 30,000:1 and the sticker on my set says 50,000:1... hmm... LOL

Look closer it's the A550 on the Sammy site!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #299 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

So you must not be to confident on the set then, or so it seems if you plan on returning it.

I would definitely skip the XBR4 unless you don't see the smearing or if you don't game at all. Seeing red areas where people's hairlines started and streaky brown / red smears in a lot of stuff drove me crazy.
post #300 of 23508 Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:

No... I'm greedy! I wanted this one cause it's the newest one out and the best out currently... if 2 months means I can have the "NEWEST" and possibly best out there, I may work the system a little bit to get it, ya know? Thing is, I only have 30 days to return the series 6... series 7 isn't due until May. Call me unscrupulous, but hey, I'm just making the system work for me. Plus some lucky guy/gal will get a perfectly good open box series 6 and XBR4! That's sticking it the retailer!! LOL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page