Forum Jump: 

post #5161 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

Can someone please walk me through the setup of the SM for upping the AMP on the new FW?
Thank you,
Giles

I would also like to know exactly how to do this. I want my high to be full blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueCat View Post

I would also like to know exactly how to do this. I want my high to be full blast!

I thought the new firmware was the same as far as the AMP goes, as the original firmware.
post #5163 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC1 View Post

I ordered monoprice product #3992 based upon numerous recommendations from AVS Forum members. The cables are high quality, HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK.

28AWG are not the best/highest quality HDMI cables available from Monoprice or others. The 24AWG with braided cable are about the best available to consumers for lengths under 16 feet.
post #5164 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scivian View Post

Get the ones with silver. They are the best they offer.

silver??? never seen any silver ones. Could you post a link?
post #5165 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I thought the new firmware was the same as far as the AMP goes, as the original firmware.

I believe it is, but it is not as high as 1003.G was. I am hoping to get it up to that level again, but I am not sure how to fix the SM.
post #5166 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

28AWG are not the best/highest quality HDMI cables available from Monoprice or others. The 24AWG with braided cable are about the best available to consumers for lengths under 16 feet.

I bought my cables from Monoprice last week, and I went with the 6 foot 24 AWG with the sliver coated copper. I think these are triple shielded. Yes, probably overkill. But the cables seem well built, and are working great. And, they don't cost much.
post #5167 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:

The only issue with the 24AWG ones, is that they put a lot of pressure, (and not always in a preferred direction) on the HDMI ports. Those are some very, very stiff cables.

Edit: Those are better for in-wall long runs - IMO.
post #5168 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganharpdawg View Post

thanks for the info.

I plan running 3 hdmi sources to the TV, maybe one component (thought about an hdmi switch, but not too sure if I'll go that route). I also plan running all of my surround sound wires behind the wall. I figure, if I am at it, i might as well do it all. 15 hours... sounds like you did it relatively quick. I used to install direct tv and dish network over the summers during college so i have an idea of what i'll run into. Your install looks really good. Did you get everything from monoprice.com??

Just a reminder to all of you planning on running video, audio, and speaker wires through the walls. You need to use Class 2 wiring for this (i.e., wire listed as approved for in-wall installation). Doing otherwise could cause you some unnecessary pain if you ever try to sell your house and the potential buyer has a knowledgeable building inspector. Of course, in the near term, using unapproved cables does slightly increase your fire loss risk.
post #5169 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

The only issue with the 24AWG ones, is that they put a lot of pressure, (and not always in a preferred direction) on the HDMI ports. Those are some very, very stiff cables.

Some vendors offer 24AWG without the braid (not sure about Monoprice), which takes care of most of the concern regarding bending the cables. You are correct, the braided 24AWG cables can be tough to fit if a sharp turn is needed in the installation. Everything has trade offs.
post #5170 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

right. the ones I bought from Ram are 25AWG and are pretty flexible.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #5171 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafonz187 View Post

If you want to look at the tv to make sure the tv is not damaged you may want to tip them to wait a few minutes, otherwise its your call. Or perhaps if you need them to take it up a flight of stairs. Not sure what the delivery terms are, if they will do that.

Exactly. One guy I had was a total A-hole and I did not tip him (he complained and dropped the tv and ran). The other two I had were great and I tipped them $20 each.

post #5172 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

I'm looking at some on monoprice right now. They are on the first page in the featured savings section, 3rd box down. They are $8.02 originally $51.80. Sounds to good to be true. I am not familiar with this site, what would the best possible HDMI cables be, and would the ones i'm looking at qualify as being some of the best on the site?

Item 3661 or 3658 are the ones I would get. 3661 are not silver plated, and 3658 are silver plated. Those are the 6' sizes. When you go to the site, click on the HDMI cable link on the left side and you will get all all their HDMI products, then just scroll down. If you want 3' sizes, or more flexible cable, I would go with the RAM. And yes, those are their top of the line besides the longer length cables.

post #5173 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking at these right now.
HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) #3661

But the ones you just mentioned are a little cheaper, so i guess i'll just have to pick. I like 24AWG ones since they are thicker, All tho the ones i have now are thick and not to flexible so maybe thats not such a good thing.

btw, I would not get the 28 AWG with Ferrite cores. Those are their cheapy ones, and it shows. They may be fine, but many people have had problems with them. AND, for some reason, Samsung has had some issues with Ferrite Cores, at least in thier 61/65 models.

post #5174 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Just a reminder to all of you planning on running video, audio, and speaker wires through the walls. You need to use Class 2 wiring for this (i.e., wire listed as approved for in-wall installation). Doing otherwise could cause you some unnecessary pain if you ever try to sell your house and the potential buyer has a knowledgeable building inspector. Of course, in the near term, using unapproved cables does slightly increase your fire loss risk.

Here's a link to an overview on in-wall audio / video cable ratings: http://www.audioholics.com/education...-cable-ratings
post #5175 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM

Can anyone tell me about Electronics-Expo in NJ? I see that they are selling the 46" right now through Amazon, and on their site, for about $2250 + 150 for shipping. Are they a pretty legitimate company? Anyone on here ever dealt with them before. Thanks in advance.
post #5176 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Item 3661 or 3658 are the ones I would get. 3661 are not silver plated, and 3658 are silver plated. Those are the 6' sizes. When you go to the site, click on the HDMI cable link on the left side and you will get all all their HDMI products, then just scroll down. If you want 3' sizes, or more flexible cable, I would go with the RAM. And yes, those are their top of the line besides the longer length cables.

Is there a big difference between gold plated and silver plated. I was under the impression that the gold plated ones might be better, and wont tarnish over time.
post #5177 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Is there a big difference between gold plated and silver plated. I was under the impression that the gold plated ones might be better, and wont tarnish over time.

gold plating is the connectors. the silver plating is done inside the jacket over the cable. i'm going to order part #3658 from monoprice.
post #5178 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrubow View Post

Can anyone tell me about Electronics-Expo in NJ? I see that they are selling the 46" right now through Amazon, and on their site, for about $2250 + 150 for shipping. Are they a pretty legitimate company? Anyone on here ever dealt with them before. Thanks in advance.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Electronics_Expo
post #5179 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

gold plating is the connectors. the silver plating is done inside the jacket over the cable.

Oh ok, i see. Excuse my ignorance, this is only me second time looking to purchase HDMI cables.
post #5180 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineahora View Post

Some people earlier suggested that you can turn off the fan in the settings.
Any of you 40" owners out there:
Can you confirm with 1003.M that you can TURN OFF the fan

Previous posts have indicated the fan control is accessible via the service menu. Try this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13464915.

RiVoLT also posted pictures of each screen in the service menus, and the option is still present in 1003.M. See his post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13616193

Neither of these sets was a 40", but I am guessing that the reason that no one can hear the fan is that it is turned off by default. (Otherwise, I would expect a different firmware for the 40 vs. the 46/52.)

-Chris
post #5181 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

gold plating is the connectors. the silver plating is done inside the jacket over the cable. i'm going to order part #3658 from monoprice.

Right

post #5182 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I knew the subject of HDMI cables would create a healthy debate. Opinions are often wide and varied. There are a myriad test results on this subject.

AWG size is relevant to length of cable required and the data frequency.
For 1080p data transfer applications, Category II certification is recommended.

More information from fellow AVS members are here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015992
post #5183 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtpr0w1er View Post

I had a Panasonic 50PX80 Plasma that I took back and then I bought the 52A650. Overall, I would say the Panasonic Plasma produced a slightly better picture than the 650. However, the image retention was really bad on the Panasonic. A logo left on the screen for 10 minutes could take as much as 2 hours to wash away by watching full screen content. Watching content with black bars either on the sides or the top and bottom was even worse. I wanted to test out a plasma to see for myself if I could deal with IR and the other problems plasmas are reported to have. Typically, my viewing consists of about 50% SD content with bars on each side, 25% gaming, 10% full screen content, and 15% content with bars on the top and bottom. These viewing habits coupled with having a wife and 3 kids to teach how to properly view the set is why I can't deal with a plasma. Also, having to change the aspect ratio everytime I changed channels to avoid IR was unbearable.

The 650 in my opinion is the first tv that can compete with a plasma when viewing content with motion. However, a plasma still will have judder when watching movies. With the AMP on the 650, judder on movies is a thing of the past. Some movies may have been filmed with judder for cinematic effect, but I personally don't like it.

So, based on my viewing habits and fondness of the AMP feature, I chose the 650. I looked at many, many tvs and the 650 is the only LCD that I would accept for my primary display. I am very sensitive to motion artifacts and other video artifacts and the 650 is the only LCD available that I haven't noticed motion blur, TBE, vapors, or smearing. The 650, in my opinion, is the best LCD available.

I don't have anything against plasma, but that type of display is simply not for me. I don't know if you have ever owned a plasma. If you haven't, I would recommend trying out a plasma for 30 days to see for yourself if this type of display would work for you. The new Panasonics are excellent sets if you can get past the IR problems. The 720p plasma I had could compete with the 650 in pure image quality and is less than half the cost.

Wow, it's interesting that you had so much trouble with IR. I owned a plasma until just a few months ago when I sold it with my house. In this market, I had to sacrifice my TV for the sale! It was a couple of years old, and I NEVER had any real problem with IR. Sure, there were a couple of times that an image or bars were retained for a slight period, but these always went away after literally a few minutes of normal or full screen viewing. It was a 720p model that had outstanding PQ. Needless to say, at first I was reluctant to even look at the LCDs. It is a big deal for me that the Samsung is even in the running, and says a lot about my percieved PQ in the series 6 for me. So, I guess I went into this with the confidence in PQ performance with the plasma line, but was looking for the maximum size for my space. That's where the 52A650 came in. Now, I can look at these at the stores all I want, but we all know that these are not optimum viewing environments, and I really wish I could see one in a pitch black room. I will continue to wait for the 50PZ800 to come out so I can directly compare. I would get the PZ85 at the very least for the extra resolution etc. Thanks to you all for being so thorough so I can basically have a test drive without even buying one yet! I'd say I am 50/50 right now with my decision and will continue reading and waiting. I have time though since our house won't be finished for another month or so.
post #5184 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC1 View Post

I knew the subject of HDMI cables would create a healthy debate. Opinions are often wide and varied. There are a myriad test results on this subject.

AWG size is relevant to length of cable required and the data frequency.
For 1080p data transfer applications, Category II certification is recommended.

More information from fellow AVS members are here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015992

I reality the debate between HDMI cables is a moot. The difference between expensive cables and cheap ones is negligible at best. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either unaware or working on commission. I could sit here and tell you all why this is the case, or you can read this CNET article. Final point being. The signal is DIGITAL not ANALOG. It either gets from point A to point B or it does not. Have a look, understand, and save some $$$ for worthwile things

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/?tag=prmo1
post #5185 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
LN52A650A vs Sony KV-34XBR800?

I'm serious thinking about getting one these new Samsungs (Either a 5 series, or more likely the 6) and was wondering how they do compared to the Sony CRTS. I'd expect the CRTS to beat them, but if it's close I might upgrade now, mainly for the screen size.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
post #5186 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

The difference between expensive cables and cheap ones is negligible at best. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either unaware or working on commission. I could sit here and tell you all why this is the case, or you can read this CNET article. Final point being. The signal is DIGITAL not ANALOG. It either gets from point A to point B or it does not. Have a look, understand, and save some $$$ for worthwile things

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/?tag=prmo1

Concur for the most part. If you need a 2 meter HDMI cable, buy a 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable, 28AWG, for less than 6 bucks plus shipping at Monoprice. (Click on the Customer Review tab and read the 100+ positive comments).
post #5187 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Right. Silver and copper actually both conduct better than gold, but gold is much less vulnerable to oxidation. The degree to which the metals conduct is not necessarily related to sound performance in audio cables, and is likely to be in itself not the issue with digital cables either. The primary issue with digital cables is impedance mismatching at connection boundaries, causing signal reflections (you want close to perfect impedance matching). In analog audio cabling, a primary concern is capacitance and inductance, values which depend among other things on the geometry of the current flowing inside of the wire and the properties of the insulating material, even more than the metallic makeup of the conductors themselves (you want low capacitance and low inductance).

Ergo, go to Blue Jean and get some relatively inexpensive, yet high quality cables. I think some people way back on the xx71 thread had trouble with a few of the Monoprice ones, but Blue Jean were very well regarded there.

Anyone able to turn off the fan in their 40A650?

ÂSK
post #5188 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineahora View Post

Anyone able to turn off the fan in their 40A650?

You might ask if anyone is able to turn it on, since it seems to be off by default. (Scroll back a few posts.)

-Chris
post #5189 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

You might ask if anyone is able to turn it on, since it seems to be off by default. (Scroll back a few posts.)

Sorry Caa100, I didn't notice your post.

I just want confirmation from a 40" owner that it can be turned on and off, and that it is default off specifically on those units, and then I will consider it a non-issue if nobody thus far has had a heat issue, which it seems is true. Phoenix and Las Vegas 40" users especially encouraged to weigh in

ÂSK
post #5190 of 23513 Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddavis View Post

Wow, it's interesting that you had so much trouble with IR. I owned a plasma until just a few months ago when I sold it with my house. In this market, I had to sacrifice my TV for the sale! It was a couple of years old, and I NEVER had any real problem with IR. Sure, there were a couple of times that an image or bars were retained for a slight period, but these always went away after literally a few minutes of normal or full screen viewing. It was a 720p model that had outstanding PQ. Needless to say, at first I was reluctant to even look at the LCDs. It is a big deal for me that the Samsung is even in the running, and says a lot about my percieved PQ in the series 6 for me. So, I guess I went into this with the confidence in PQ performance with the plasma line, but was looking for the maximum size for my space. That's where the 52A650 came in. Now, I can look at these at the stores all I want, but we all know that these are not optimum viewing environments, and I really wish I could see one in a pitch black room. I will continue to wait for the 50PZ800 to come out so I can directly compare. I would get the PZ85 at the very least for the extra resolution etc. Thanks to you all for being so thorough so I can basically have a test drive without even buying one yet! I'd say I am 50/50 right now with my decision and will continue reading and waiting. I have time though since our house won't be finished for another month or so.

Some posters on the PX80 forum commented they had zero IR on the set and some commented they had horrible IR. Some even commented that after exchanging for a new set their IR problems went away. I didn't really want to exchange the set because that was tv number five since the start of the year and I figured I may be on a short leash with the local stores here. I guess its possible that I had a defective set, but I don't know how there could be such a vast difference in build quality. The IR was only visible in a dark room on a dark screen, but it was definately there. One time I checked before I went to bed and there were 3 logos, side bars, and bars on the top and bottom of the screen that I could still see the ghost image of. When I saw this, I decided that I had had enough and returned it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page