Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To others who already have the 650, is it just me or does this set have a ridiculously wide viewing angle? I can virtually view the set when I am almost parallel to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Greetings! I'm the owner of a newly minted LN46A650. It's a great looking set. I'm a bit dismayed by the high gloss on the screen as far as reflections go but am rewarded by a super crisp image when the room is dark. Over the weekend, I screened a Blue Ray DVD and was thrilled until, during a very dark scene, I notice what looks like bursts of light coming from the edges of the display primarily from the corners. Is this normal? Are there some settings I can try to tweak this away or should I replace the thing?
post #543 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I'm witnessing rather petty complaints (every bezel design type has it's detractors) on the 650 instead of the artifacts of the 71 series.

Let's face it if the PQ is blowing you away with an HD Movie or sports etc.; then your eyes should not be seeing the bezel while I prefer piano black myself as it disappears at night I'd take best of class PQ with shadow details and no artifacts anyday.

While you may be wealthy enough to be able to purchase his and her large screen LCD HDTVs (or you aren't married), most of us must develop a consensus regarding a $3K purchase that will be somewhat the center piece of a living room, family room, or X room. For whatever reason, many women just don't think HDTV PQ is the end all criteria for dropping a big chunk of the family budget on such an item. How it looks in "their" house is one of the main purchase criteria.

So don't diss those who are commenting on the 650s appearance. It only makes you appear to be an elitist snob. Yes, I to could indulge my whims when I was single with a 6 figure income. However, now I'm married and retired, so such purchases are mutually supported before being made.
post #544 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtpr0w1er View Post

To others who already have the 650, is it just me or does this set have a ridiculously wide viewing angle? I can virtually view the set when I am almost parallel to it.

Consumer Reports rated the 71s viewing angle as above average, so if the 650 meets or exceeds the 71, you will have a good, wide viewing angle. BTW, this is where the 71 outperformed the 81, according to CR.
post #545 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

What is the going to be the difference between the 650 and 750? I'm looking to get a 52A650, I happen to love the TOC, it matches my furniture, from pics anyway, and I think it looks cool. Anyway why will the 750 be better for some you.
post #546 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

What is the going to be the difference between the 650 and 750? I'm looking to get a 52A650, I happen to love the TOC, it matches my furniture, from pics anyway, and I think it looks cool. Anyway why will the 750 be better for some you.

sub woofer, better looking bezel IMO, digital media support, and the major wild card still up in the air a faster processor (16bit vs. 10 or 12). I am going to trade in my 650 for the 750 for the chance to get a faster processor, if its not any different at least I get the other added features. And if the 650 goes with your furniture, the 750 likely will too. Have you seen pics. pg #44 in the New 2008 samsung 120hz thread if I recall correctly.
post #547 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

Here is the official word:

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsR...&news_seq=6445

CLau
post #548 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Samsung has just put up the 52A650 on their site.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...LN52A650A1FXZA
post #549 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaburn View Post

IMO the blacks are noticeably deeper in this set over the 71. The shadow detail also seems to be improved due to better contrast. When you display a source that emphasizes these two characteristics it is obvious they made improvements over the 71. This set does have less pop against the 71 due to its more matted screen. Not really my thing but i will take this TV over the 71any day of the week.

Weren't you the guy that was cursing the day the 650 was born a few pages ago? Now your saying that you would get the 650 over the 71 any day of the week? But at the same time your planning on trading in the 650 to get a new 750?
Is this correct?
post #550 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzfilms View Post

Greetings! I'm the owner of a newly minted LN46A650. It's a great looking set. I'm a bit dismayed by the high gloss on the screen as far as reflections go but am rewarded by a super crisp image when the room is dark. Over the weekend, I screened a Blue Ray DVD and was thrilled until, during a very dark scene, I notice what looks like bursts of light coming from the edges of the display primarily from the corners. Is this normal? Are there some settings I can try to tweak this away or should I replace the thing?

When you say color bursts, do you mean flashlights from the corners. I had some flashlights also, but they have faded along with some minor maura (sp?). I got a tip to turn down my backlight from a 7 to a 3-4, which helps the colors pop a bit more, and I also lowered my contrast to 85 from 95. Those settings are from the standard mode, not from any entertainment mode which doesn't allow user calibration, or at least doesn't allow adjustments on most settings.

Since I don't have a true 1080p source besides my 360 games over component I wonder if someone who does have a true 1080p non gaming source if they will try and replicate the entertainment modes settings and see if you get the same results as using the actual entertainment modes.

Just curious if there is some processing we can't turn off without going into entertainment mode.

This will be a good test to see if we have total control over the TVs processing.

Mosh~~
post #551 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:04 AM

I messed around with the 550 every chance i had at work over the weekend and i couldnt figure a way to mess with any settings while in those shop modes. I check every week the 750 sku to see if its the distro center im guessing it will be in 2 weeks early just like the 650
post #552 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olternaut View Post

Weren't you the guy that was cursing the day the 650 was born a few pages ago? Now your saying that you would get the 650 over the 71 any day of the week? But at the same time your planning on trading in the 650 to get a new 750?
Is this correct?

I have this TV also, he's going on pure speculation that the 750 will have a better processor in it. I have a home theatre with 7.1 surround, so I don't need a subwoofer. I can stream divx and xvid from my computer through my 360 as well as music and pictures, so I don't need the 1 gig of storage. I personally don't like the look of the 750 as it seems boxy to me. The 650 has nice curves and the color of the bezel isn't very apperent unless you have bright lights or some form of light on, and even then it's not bad looking at all, matter of fact i think it's pretty classy compared to a black rectangle.

I recently purchased a set of cylon LED ambient lighting and set that up last night, I can make the LEDs red like the bezel and it's very nice looking to have the back wall behind your TV match your bezel, or go with a white wall or a light blue or anything in between, green for football and soccer and baseball if you want.

Mosh~~
post #553 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

I have this TV also, he's going on pure speculation that the 750 will have a better processor in it. I have a home theatre with 7.1 surround, so I don't need a subwoofer. I can stream divx and xvid from my computer through my 360 as well as music and pictures, so I don't need the 1 gig of storage. I personally don't like the look of the 750 as it seems boxy to me. The 650 has nice curves and the color of the bezel isn't very apperent unless you have bright lights or some form of light on, and even then it's not bad looking at all, matter of fact i think it's pretty classy compared to a black rectangle.

I recently purchased a set of cylon LED ambient lighting and set that up last night, I can make the LEDs red like the bezel and it's very nice looking to have the back wall behind your TV match your bezel, or go with a white wall or a light blue or anything in between, green for football and soccer and baseball if you want.

Mosh~~

I am so excited, i am picking up my 650 tomorrow at BB. Still hoping i made the right choice returning the 71, but i'll find out soon enough. I think the red bezel might be kinda cool, something different then all the standard black ones. I agree with you on the look of the 650 over the 750. The 750 does look a little boxy.

That's a pretty nifty idea getting some ambient lighting for behind the set, i'll have to look into that.
post #554 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson01 View Post

I was in BB today, and I spent a good deal of time looking around. I finally asked the Sales dude when the 650s are in? Puzzled, he hadn't heard of it, but he looked up and told me they had 241 in the warehouse, which I could order immediately. I asked when they would have on display, he told me Monday.

But the 71 they still had up rocked as well. As excited as I was to have a CRIMSON tv, even I was concerned when seeing the flashes of the bezel. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it in person. Thanks to all you guys, Manaburn, Chinese, Mosh for hooking us up here! I don't think I can hold out till May for a 750...hopefully Amazon or Cleveland will get my business soon.

Sounds familiar:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13353987
post #555 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

I am so excited, i am picking up my 650 tomorrow at BB. Still hoping i made the right choice returning the 71, but i'll find out soon enough. I think the red bezel might be kinda cool, something different then all the standard black ones. I agree with you on the look of the 650 over the 750. The 750 does look a little boxy.

That's a pretty nifty idea getting some ambient lighting for behind the set, i'll have to look into that.

The kit I bought was at costco for $50, it came with 6 15" LED rods. 4 of them have 5 or 6 foot cords and the other 2 have 15 foot cords. So I used one on top one on bottom and one on the left and right. Then I used the 2 with longer cords to highlight the corners of the wall next to the TV. It looks really good, I know they aren't the ideal 6500k light, but these you can change the color and have it change to the beat of music, they are nice.

Here is the site for the company that makes them. They are much more expensive than the costco deal I got.

http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant....tegory_Code=HT

Mosh~~

Edit: They have 180 LEDs total in the rods.
post #556 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olternaut View Post

Is this correct?

read the progresion of my posts. You are looking at my hour after opening the box review and comparing it to my review a week later. All my posts explain what happened for me to change my mind. you havent been keeping up with the posts, go read and it will probubly make some sence. I see your point but it seems you only have the begining and end of the story withought the 500 pgs in the middle. Im taking the 650 back because of the bezel and the woofer on the 750 (because i am actualy gonna use the TVs speakers). And yes if it was between the 650 and 71 i would still choose the 650 yes.
post #557 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm definitely getting the 650. Just gotta find a bank to rob.
post #558 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you say color bursts, do you mean flashlights from the corners. I had some flashlights also, but they have faded along with some minor maura (sp?). I got a tip to turn down my backlight from a 7 to a 3-4, which helps the colors pop a bit more, and I also lowered my contrast to 85 from 95. Those settings are from the standard mode, not from any entertainment mode which doesn't allow user calibration, or at least doesn't allow adjustments on most settings.

Since I don't have a true 1080p source besides my 360 games over component I wonder if someone who does have a true 1080p non gaming source if they will try and replicate the entertainment modes settings and see if you get the same results as using the actual entertainment modes.

Just curious if there is some processing we can't turn off without going into entertainment mode.

This will be a good test to see if we have total control over the TVs processing.

Mosh~~

You can't reproduce entertainment modes at all. I'm not sure why, I think I covered this a little bit back. Even if you shut down all the VP Amp still doesn't work rite. I have a theory why this is but have no real proof to back it up. Either way I tried to reproduce them and got no where. If what I think it is doing to produce entertainment modes is correct they are totally none reproducible. I suppose if people are interested in my thoughts on this matter I will explain but I'm at work now so cant take the time.
post #559 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtpr0w1er View Post

178 degrees x 178 degrees according to the official specs.

I said wow.
post #560 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mosh~~

It definitely is speculation but it is still possible. That being said I grow to dislike the bezel more and more every day and the speakers just suck. Every thing else is amazing, except of course amp on none entertainment modes. Since im not going to use my own sound system i am buying the 750 mostly for the woofer. I stated that the faster processor is a big long shot in my last few posts when I spoke of this. That is not the reason i am trading the 650 in. That would be too much trouble for a very low chance of upgrading. I just like the bezel and idea of having deeper bass. Don't get that confused. The block diagrams did show a better processor in the 750 and since that's all I have to go on, that's all i have to go on. I AM IN NO WAY EXPECTING THIS. I realize there is some debate on the relevance of those block diagrams to the US models. It is a posibility and it is a very small possibility, lets leave it at that. I just like the bezel better, to tell you the truth i put in my oprder for the 650 and then realized that it didnt look like the 750. I figured they looked the exact same because they were so similar. Im not sure why people are so agrivated about the processor speculation, Mikl1984 said it had a better VP and he has the service manuals. It is not just wild speculation is all i am saying.
post #561 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

sub woofer, better looking bezel IMO, digital media support, and the major wild card still up in the air a faster processor (16bit vs. 10 or 12). I am going to trade in my 650 for the 750 for the chance to get a faster processor, if its not any different at least I get the other added features. And if the 650 goes with your furniture, the 750 likely will too. Have you seen pics. pg #44 in the New 2008 samsung 120hz thread if I recall correctly.

Has anyone actually seen a 750 with its bezel? Is it truly different? It is very safe to assume anything from any manufacture these days is photoshopped. The samsung photos of what is suppose to be the 650 look very different than how real photos look. The nicer looking bezel could just be a phantom.
post #562 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meparch View Post

Has anyone actually seen a 750 with its bezel? Is it truly different? It is very safe to assume anything from any manufacture these days is photoshopped. The samsung photos of what is suppose to be the 650 look very different than how real photos look. The nicer looking bezel could just be a phantom.

Some of the pics I've seen look like it has a red bezel also, but I haven't said anything because I don't know for sure.

Mosh~~

Here is one pic, if you look it has the 750 square base, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

The 650, which looks redder to you? http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...rchSection=All
post #563 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM

All of those are stock photos released by samsung. We'll need a review site photo or some one from CES. The stock photo bezels look photoshopped to me and exactly the same for both 650 and 750. What they are trying to show in the photoshopped image is the bezel looks black and red (depending on lighting), they just get one photo to show both conditions, so they split it, with the edges being red. Least that is how it looks to me.

At this point we should assume the 650 and 750 have the same bezel since they have the same stock photo. The photoshopped bezel does look better than the real bezel.
post #564 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meparch View Post

All of those are stock photos released by samsung. We'll need a review site photo or some one from CES. The stock photo bezels look photoshopped to me and exactly the same for both 650 and 750. What they are trying to show in the photoshopped image is the bezel looks black and red (depending on lighting), they just get one photo to show both conditions, so they split it, with the edges being red. Least that is how it looks to me.

At this point we should assume the 650 and 750 have the same bezel since they have the same stock photo. The photoshopped bezel does look better than the real bezel.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I really like this bezel design and color. Thats just my opinion, nothing more or less.

Mosh~~
post #565 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

All I can say is those who put all their stocks on the 750 will cry the loudest when it comes out because they'll find out that it doesn't come with this and that as they would hope for.

Just wait for it to hit the market and then see exactly what is inside and outside.

Go 24
post #566 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the bigger questions I have about the 750 is where are they gonna put the subwoofer? Won't that make the TV thicker? Will the woofer have any ba**s?

Mosh~~
post #567 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

All I can say is those who put all their stocks on the 750 will cry the loudest when it comes out because they'll find out that it doesn't come with this and that as they would hope for.

Just wait for it to hit the market and then see exactly what is inside and outside.

Like what? Im not sure what you are even talking about. It is known that the 750 "builds on" the 650 with more features. Meaning it has everything the 650 has and a few more bells and wistles nothing more.
post #568 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 PM

regarding the bezel, could it be the red color is more pronounced on the 650 vs 750 because of shape. the 650 has more of a curved surface compared to the 750. The rounded surface of the 650 will catch more light than the flatter surface of the 750. If I remeber correctly( i could be wrong) samsung says the the color is actually part of the bezel plastic and not just some kind of paint. so I would think samsung would use the same plastic on both, and that the gas station lighter effect would be on both models.
post #569 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like what? Im not sure what you are even talking about. It is known that the 750 "builds on" the 650 with more features. Meaning it has everything the 650 has and a few more bells and wistles nothing more.

Aren't the one keep hoping that it comes with a new chip?

Go 24
post #570 of 23512 Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM

From everything I have seen they both have the same styling with the red surround, plus it just makes sense for Samsung to make one style and stick with it with these 2 similiar units, as I recall reading it was something like a $300 difference...that IMO is gonna get you some minor upgrades like the speakers and those minor connectivity things not some huge difference...save the money get a 650 unless you need those useless items.

B.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page