Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6901 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
nitt4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

I se banding in the top of the picture on my laptop, I think it's the pic.

Mosh~~

Thank you again! I was hoping that was the case. I did find this picture that looks perfect:

http://pzavislak.googlepages.com/gradient.jpg
nitt4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6902 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta GA.
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is purple tint still a 46 inch problem only?

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Cynn is offline  
post #6903 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
nitt4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

Is purple tint still a 46 inch problem only?

purple tint was never specifically a 46" problem.

Some people see it on any of the 650s, others don't. I do not see it on my 46".
nitt4ever is offline  
post #6904 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitt4ever View Post

Thank you again! I was hoping that was the case. I did find this picture that looks perfect:

http://pzavislak.googlepages.com/gradient.jpg

Yep that picture looks *perfect* on my Apple 23" Cinema Display. The previous picture showed obvious banding.
WilliamG is offline  
post #6905 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
nitt4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Yep that picture looks *perfect* on my Apple 23" Cinema Display. The previous picture showed obvious banding.

Well, then the good news is that it looked perfect via usb thumb drive in the TV as well as displaying it via HDMI from my PS3. I'm happy now that I am not worried about banding on my TV.

Thanks for looking at this.
nitt4ever is offline  
post #6906 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Member
 
stlgasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

It depends on the angle of the lights coming in or hitting the bezel. Do you currently have a tv in the place that you plan to put the A650 there?

I currently have a matte screen LCD.
stlgasman is offline  
post #6907 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Member
 
bambam23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So nobody else with any kind of stutter with the amp turned up? Maybe its just mine.
bambam23 is offline  
post #6908 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
jazzbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam23 View Post

So nobody else with any kind of stutter with the amp turned up? Maybe its just mine.

I would imagine AMP will stutter a little for everyone when it's modified to 0. Samsung obviously designed the TV to operate correctly with lower settings in the SM.
jazzbass is offline  
post #6909 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitt4ever View Post

purple tint was never specifically a 46" problem.

Some people see it on any of the 650s, others don't. I do not see it on my 46".

I have a 46A650 with no noticible purple tint. If I go waaaaay off to the side at the most extreme viewing angle, I may be able to convince myself that I see the tiniest hint of purple. However, if the issue hadn't been brought up in this forum, I would never seen it or even looked for it.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #6910 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 96
One other thing... Many of you have said how bad TNT is when watching Law & Order in HD. Well, I have AT&T U-Verse and I'm watching Law & Order right now and couldn't ask for a more perfect picture. This TV is definitely a keeper.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #6911 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lipcrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: KPAX
Posts: 4,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

I noticed a general lesser supply of LN52A650s on Amazon and the fact that their listing now emphasizes a RED Touch of Color. Could this mean that a different Touch of Color is not far off?

I hear it's purple to color co-ordinate with the screen.
lipcrkr is offline  
post #6912 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Newbie
 
sk61bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I live in Germany and have made a pre-order for the 40" A656. However, delivery still seems to be another 3-4 weeks away. While I'm sitting here waiting I'm seeing prices of the F86 creeping lower and lower, almost reaching bargain levels. Have anyone here compared these two TVs and would be able to shed some light on how they compare.

Should I wait for the A656 or just make things easy and go shopping for a cheap F86?
sk61bulldog is offline  
post #6913 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Member
 
bambam23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I would imagine AMP will stutter a little for everyone when it's modified to 0. Samsung obviously designed the TV to operate correctly with lower settings in the SM.

Just want to make sure its not just mine, seems like alot of people have moddified it, hadnt seen anything about stutter.
bambam23 is offline  
post #6914 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Member
 
nova21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, been away for a bit and had to catch up on all the recent threads,

I need help, do you guys think I should return my 52 incher?

Problems

1) The view angle, I can not seem to see anything when I sit behind the TV. or directly perpendicular to it. I think samsung should have anticapted these viewing angles.
2) The clouding, I can see a bit of clouding if I squint really hard and put my head at exactly 108 degree angle from the TV with the sun directly in my eyes.
3) The banding, I downloaded these pictures specifically to find banding on tvs, becoz otherwise you cannot find banding when playing movies, tv, games or anything esle. Now that I know it is there it bugs me. I have the leave these specific pictures up all the time, or else no one would believe I have banding.
4) The purple tint, I can see purple tint if I look directly at the tv and smear vasoline all over my eyes. I think that's a big problem
5) Source problem, Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for not making all my crappy sources perfect. How come they not make my comcast sd look crystal clear. And for the price I payed, this tv should compensate any cable outages or any imperfection at the source. Samsung needs to put out a firmware as soon as possible.
6) The red bezel shines like a neon sign. They should make it so that my 6 halogens directly behind the tv, barley show the red at all.

so guys, I have all these problems, I think I should return the tv, don't you?

and oh, stiles, you should not get the xbr6, I heard it's only a regular lcd witht he same problems I listed, you should wait till the xbr11, I heard it fixes everything and is perfect. Plus they say it changes to a sexy french maid to clean you house after you shut off the tv. Yes, xbr11...that's the tv to get.
nova21 is offline  
post #6915 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Member
 
peking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitt4ever View Post

Thank you again! I was hoping that was the case. I did find this picture that looks perfect:

http://pzavislak.googlepages.com/gradient.jpg

On my MBPro, I originally saw some imperfections but turns out they were reflections on the glossy screen . Looking again, the scene looks flawless. FWIW
peking00 is offline  
post #6916 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lipcrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: KPAX
Posts: 4,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova21 View Post

Okay, been away for a bit and had to catch up on all the recent threads,

I need help, do you guys think I should return my 52 incher?

Problems

1) The view angle, I can not seem to see anything when I sit behind the TV. or directly perpendicular to it. I think samsung should have anticapted these viewing angles.
2) The clouding, I can see a bit of clouding if I squint really hard and put my head at exactly 108 degree angle from the TV with the sun directly in my eyes.
3) The banding, I downloaded these pictures specifically to find banding on tvs, becoz otherwise you cannot find banding when playing movies, tv, games or anything esle. Now that I know it is there it bugs me. I have the leave these specific pictures up all the time, or else no one would believe I have banding.
4) The purple tint, I can see purple tint if I look directly at the tv and smear vasoline all over my eyes. I think that's a big problem
5) Source problem, Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for not making all my crappy sources perfect. How come they not make my comcast sd look crystal clear. And for the price I payed, this tv should compensate any cable outages or any imperfection at the source. Samsung needs to put out a firmware as soon as possible.
6) The red bezel shines like a neon sign. They should make it so that my 6 halogens directly behind the tv, barley show the red at all.

so guys, I have all these problems, I think I should return the tv, don't you?

and oh, stiles, you should not get the xbr6, I heard it's only a regular lcd witht he same problems I listed, you should wait till the xbr11, I heard it fixes everything and is perfect. Plus they say it changes to a sexy french maid to clean you house after you shut off the tv. Yes, xbr11...that's the tv to get.

Naaaw, i'd keep it, it'll grow on you in no time.
lipcrkr is offline  
post #6917 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lipcrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: KPAX
Posts: 4,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk61bulldog View Post

Hi

I live in Germany and have made a pre-order for the 40" A656. However, delivery still seems to be another 3-4 weeks away. While I'm sitting here waiting I'm seeing prices of the F86 creeping lower and lower, almost reaching bargain levels. Have anyone here compared these two TVs and would be able to shed some light on how they compare.

Should I wait for the A656 or just make things easy and go shopping for a cheap F86?

I would wait for the A656, i know the F86 panels were giving owners a heck of a time. I think the A656 panels are superior and in the long run a better option.
lipcrkr is offline  
post #6918 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Member
 
peking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

One other thing... Many of you have said how bad TNT is when watching Law & Order in HD. Well, I have AT&T U-Verse and I'm watching Law & Order right now and couldn't ask for a more perfect picture. This TV is definitely a keeper.

U-Verse is supposed to be one of the least-compressed sources available. We should all be so lucky! (Although TW in Manhattan is pretty decent -- for now)
peking00 is offline  
post #6919 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Member
 
peking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova21 View Post

Okay, been away for a bit and had to catch up on all the recent threads,

I need help, do you guys think I should return my 52 incher?

Problems

1) The view angle, I can not seem to see anything when I sit behind the TV. or directly perpendicular to it. I think samsung should have anticapted these viewing angles.
2) The clouding, I can see a bit of clouding if I squint really hard and put my head at exactly 108 degree angle from the TV with the sun directly in my eyes.
3) The banding, I downloaded these pictures specifically to find banding on tvs, becoz otherwise you cannot find banding when playing movies, tv, games or anything esle. Now that I know it is there it bugs me. I have the leave these specific pictures up all the time, or else no one would believe I have banding.
4) The purple tint, I can see purple tint if I look directly at the tv and smear vasoline all over my eyes. I think that's a big problem
5) Source problem, Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for not making all my crappy sources perfect. How come they not make my comcast sd look crystal clear. And for the price I payed, this tv should compensate any cable outages or any imperfection at the source. Samsung needs to put out a firmware as soon as possible.
6) The red bezel shines like a neon sign. They should make it so that my 6 halogens directly behind the tv, barley show the red at all.

so guys, I have all these problems, I think I should return the tv, don't you?

and oh, stiles, you should not get the xbr6, I heard it's only a regular lcd witht he same problems I listed, you should wait till the xbr11, I heard it fixes everything and is perfect. Plus they say it changes to a sexy french maid to clean you house after you shut off the tv. Yes, xbr11...that's the tv to get.

Guess you didn't hear -- purple is the new black. Nova, you bring sarcasm to an art form.
peking00 is offline  
post #6920 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

Well, you can always check out the new Toshiba XF550!

i have to check the PQ in a store first. i havent seen those around yet. either that or splurge some more and go for a pioneer.
sd13 is offline  
post #6921 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
dmcfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superde1uxe View Post


i think in their attempt to move away from the pure glossy of the 71 to something that is less reflective caused this. I mush prefered the 71 screen to the 650 as it was clearer and the colors were much more true.

just my 2cents. worth.

Yes because they obviously had both calibrated
dmcfan is offline  
post #6922 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Newbie
 
Bellagio76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The sharpness of an LCD with the color saturation and black level of a plasma!!!!!That is what this samsung 52a650 is all about. JUST MAKE SURE YOU Adjust the Video Settings!!!!!I have the perfect settings if anyone wants!!!!!
Bellagio76 is offline  
post #6923 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Newbie
 
willa1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...yesterday. Going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully it will work out well. I decided yesterday that the time had come to finally pull the trigger and replace my 10 year-old 27-inch Sony. Was leaning towards the Panasonic 46PZ85U, but was really impressed by the 650's picture in the CC showroom. In the end, I guess what swayed my decision was the extra HDMI input on the 650, as well as the 24p native reproduction capability, which the PZ85 doesn't have. In the end, I paid $2300 for it, and forked out an additional $120 for an HDMI cable. Being a casual gamer, I also picked up a PS3 today...the Blu-Ray capability factored heavily in my decision to purchase that instead of an Xbox 360.

I know I could have saved some money by purchasing it from Big River, but I prefer making this sort of purchase from a brick-and-mortar store, as it's more convenient to return it if there's a problem. Also, I did a little web surfing after making my purchase, and purchased two HDMI cables online for $25 plus shipping, so I'll be returning the $120 cable when I go to pick up the TV.

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous after forking out so much money, especially with some of the issues mentioned with the 6 series. I guess we'll see what happens...if I'm not happy, I'll probably take it back and get a PZ800U when it becomes available. But I hope I made a good decision with this purchase, as I've been looking at HDTVs for a year and a half now.
willa1975 is offline  
post #6924 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Meparch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A Note on the Color Banding

The PS3 and computers can output 0-255 bit range for each RGB color. Normal video is 16-235. Some receivers or even some settings on this TV and the PS3 can reduce full color to video color. You can lose about half of the colors in this process. For those having issues with this, check to see what your source is outputting and if you have some source clipping or compression taking place.
Meparch is offline  
post #6925 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Zmanno999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where the 6 series are manufactured?
Zmanno999 is offline  
post #6926 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Member
 
bambam23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagio76 View Post

The sharpness of an LCD with the color saturation and black level of a plasma!!!!!That is what this samsung 52a650 is all about. JUST MAKE SURE YOU Adjust the Video Settings!!!!!I have the perfect settings if anyone wants!!!!!


I would like to see them.
bambam23 is offline  
post #6927 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
savage1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my clouds that were there yesterday have almost completely vanished as of today! i think i found a keeper!
savage1005 is offline  
post #6928 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by willa1975 View Post

...yesterday. Going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully it will work out well. I decided yesterday that the time had come to finally pull the trigger and replace my 10 year-old 27-inch Sony. Was leaning towards the Panasonic 46PZ85U, but was really impressed by the 650's picture in the CC showroom. In the end, I guess what swayed my decision was the extra HDMI input on the 650, as well as the 24p native reproduction capability, which the PZ85 doesn't have. In the end, I paid $2300 for it, and forked out an additional $120 for an HDMI cable. Being a casual gamer, I also picked up a PS3 today...the Blu-Ray capability factored heavily in my decision to purchase that instead of an Xbox 360.

I know I could have saved some money by purchasing it from Big River, but I prefer making this sort of purchase from a brick-and-mortar store, as it's more convenient to return it if there's a problem. Also, I did a little web surfing after making my purchase, and purchased two HDMI cables online for $25 plus shipping, so I'll be returning the $120 cable when I go to pick up the TV.

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous after forking out so much money, especially with some of the issues mentioned with the 6 series. I guess we'll see what happens...if I'm not happy, I'll probably take it back and get a PZ800U when it becomes available. But I hope I made a good decision with this purchase, as I've been looking at HDTVs for a year and a half now.

You'll likely be happy, though you should only pay about $15, give or take, for two HDMI cables of decent length. Check Monoprice.com, for example. $120 for an HDMI cable is plain madness. Glad you figured out it's a rip! Enjoy your TV!
WilliamG is offline  
post #6929 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
lotohnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanno999 View Post

Does anyone know where the 6 series are manufactured?

South Korea and Mexico, as per earlier posts in this thread.
lotohnz is offline  
post #6930 of 23512 Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Newbie
 
Filmzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanno999 View Post

Does anyone know where the 6 series are manufactured?

Mexico, and then I believe they are shipped to a main Samsung distribution center in Texas.
Filmzzz is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off