post #14881 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar156 View Post

2. The digitally broadcasting channels come in crystal clear. However, when my antenna is pointed away from the signal of the station I punch in on the remote, the tv stays locked in to the station that is currently being shown. The tech (both level 1 and 2) told me the tv should lock in on the station I punch in on the remote and if the signal is not in range, the screen remains black with a "no signal" display. This is not true. The tv will only display stations that it can detect a signal from.

They may have assumed that you had picked up the channel on the initial scan. In that case, it will try to tune to it and get no signal. If the initial scan did not detect it, then it will react as you describe.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dselvin View Post

Want to know if anyone has purchased a PN63A650. Just put on on the wall and notice white images are not pure white. There are vertical faint bands of red in the background.

Picture other than that is great. Like it better than the 6020 which I returned do to a bad pixal and buzz from the set. I own 5 other plasmas and non have burned out or bad pixels. Unexceptible from Pioneer.

Might as well go on about the Samsung.
No handles to help lift the set.
Poor placement of inputs. My HDMI cables do not have enought room between set and wall. The ferrite adapters are to big to fit on the power cord.
Picture is significantly better than the Pioneer 6020 and my Panasonic 50pz800.

This is the first set that I've had where I used the calibration from either CNET or Plasma Buyers guide where the picture was stunning.

I think you posted this in the wrong section since this is the LCD, not a plasma, LNxxA650.

Go 24
post #14883 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac View Post

Basic question, can the speakers on the 650 series be used as the centre speaker in a HT setup or do they become useless and I have to mount a centre speaker under/over the screen? Thanks.

It would be problematic as a time delay is applied to the TV speakers to synch with the VP delay. It may be possible with analog, HDMI gets very problematic. You would have to get a dry center signal to the TV while your receiver delays the remaining channels the correct amount.
post #14884 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Okay so I received the VGA cables for the Wii and good news: ZERO INPUT LAG and no problems so far (although most experiencing problems with Samsung monitors experienced issues 1-2 months later).

The only negative about the cables is its not as sharp as it could be but at the same time, there are no jaggies like with component. I'm assuming that mayb because the resolution is fully 640x480 and not upscaled to 720x480 like component is. Another thing is you can't adjust the sharpness in PC mode.

But I also have another concern: I just noticed when connecting the cables that the bottom front of the TV looks like its slightly not connected. For example, if you look to where your power button is on the TV then directly underneath that, its very slightly open. Im not sure if this is how the TV is supposed to be but I just want to make sure that nothing serious can happen if its like this because the TV is flawless so far and I would hate to return this just because of something so little. I'll take a picture later on tonight to show exactly what I'm talking about but its near the power button underneath its slightly open.
post #14885 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLight View Post

Hi, anyone have any experience with this Belkin PureAV PF30? I want to have my TV (46"), PS3 and comcast hooked to it!
Thanks is advance!

I use the PF60 and it is great. I think the PF30 for what you want to use it for would be perfect.
post #14886 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac View Post

Basic question, can the speakers on the 650 series be used as the centre speaker in a HT setup or do they become useless and I have to mount a centre speaker under/over the screen? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcworks View Post

It would be problematic as a time delay is applied to the TV speakers to synch with the VP delay. It may be possible with analog, HDMI gets very problematic. You would have to get a dry center signal to the TV while your receiver delays the remaining channels the correct amount.

Are you saying that you can get the TV speakers to produce just dialog like center channels on a HT setup?
post #14887 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
got a 52a650, in a completely dark room i notice some clouding in the upper corners. do all of these sets have some amount of clouding or is it worth an exchange. my only fear is that ill exchange and the next one will be worse. im not using gmmoves settings anymore because the higher backlight value seemed to make it worse. ive also loosened the corner screws a little. it seems more prevalent after the tv has been on for a few hours. what should i do?

for people who answer no, have you sat on an input that has the source turned off in a completely dark room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14888 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM

I am trying to hook my harmony 890 up and I do not know where to stick the sensor for the wireless extender. Anybody have any pics pointing to the secret spot or a general spot to start looking?

Thanks!
John
post #14889 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

got a 52a650, in a completely dark room i notice some clouding in the upper corners. do all of these sets have some amount of clouding or is it worth an exchange. my only fear is that ill exchange and the next one will be worse. im not using gmmoves settings anymore because the higher backlight value seemed to make it worse. ive also loosened the corner screws a little. it seems more prevalent after the tv has been on for a few hours. what should i do?

for people who answer no, have you sat on an input that has the source turned off in a completely dark room

Setting engery savings to auto will help alot for clouding, They do tend to get better with hrs on the pannel like 100 should get somewhat better. If auto doesent help and you have over a 100 hrs you might think about another set
post #14890 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think I have some pretty bad clouding too. Not sure though. Do you guys test for clouding by putting it on a channel with a black background? When I'm watching tv the picture looks exceptional and I don't notice any "clouding", but on an all black screen it's pretty noticable.
post #14891 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Setting the Backlight lower with Dynamic Contrast to Low or Medium can also minimize flashlights and clouding. It really depends on how severe your issues are. Currently I'm working on settings with Dynamic Contrast on Medium with my 1st 650.

For me, unless the picture itself (e.g., dark scenes) are affected by the clouding and it bothers me I'd consider exchanging the TV. Other than that I'd probably not.

Let's make this clear: Calibration IS NOT synonymous with copying settings!
Join the Samsung LCD Owners Social Group! :)
post #14892 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

its more that i notice it because i know its there, i just want to know if all of these sets have clouding to some degree so i know if its worth it to even try exchanging

post #14893 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbandtimmy View Post

I think I have some pretty bad clouding too. Not sure though. Do you guys test for clouding by putting it on a channel with a black background? When I'm watching tv the picture looks exceptional and I don't notice any "clouding", but on an all black screen it's pretty noticable.

The highlighted part of your sentence is where I'd concentrate to determine whether I have a Backlight issue. Dark scenes and credits with a black background are good ways to check. While I suspect most people test the scenes on pause I suggest to play the same scenes as well.

post #14894 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

to test, just turn off the source your watching. for me its only noticable at night and if the picture is black in those corners. so fades, 2.35:1 movies, or any darker movies really show it

post #14895 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

its more that i notice it because i know its there, i just want to know if all of these sets have clouding to some degree so i know if its worth it to even try exchanging

I know there's a poll out somewhere but I don't place much weight on it since what's reported is subjective. Though, it gives you an idea what other people consider clouding as an issue.

Quote:

to test, just turn off the source your watching. for me its only noticable at night and if the picture is black in those corners. so fades, 2.35:1 movies, or any darker movies really show it

Maybe it's me but I think a more accurate test would be if the source is on.

post #14896 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

with a source on anything else on the screen takes away from the clouding due to contrast, i guess if you wanted to display a solid black jpg through a thumbdrive or your ps3 that would be the same, but really just turning the source off is the best test.

so do you notice it in the upper corners on your set too?

i wish circuit city carried kuros so i could just exchange this and have perfection. thats not a knock on this set because its great aside from this, but jesus if the top of the line sonys and samsung still cant get backlighting right there is a problem

post #14897 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

with a source on anything else on the screen takes away from the clouding due to contrast, i guess if you wanted to display a solid black jpg through a thumbdrive or your ps3 that would be the same, but really just turning the source off is the best test.

so do you notice it in the upper corners on your set too?

i wish circuit city carried kuros so i could just exchange this and have perfection. thats not a knock on this set because its great aside from this, but jesus if the top of the line sonys and samsung still cant get backlighting right there is a problem

I think it's more of a Backlight issue than a Contrast issue. Besides, I prefer watching my movies with the source on.

I notice some flashlighting on the corners. That's if I were in a dark room with Backlight to 10.

I don't have a Kuro to compare with but I'm fairly sure it has issues of its own.

post #14898 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM

I bought LN52A650 2 weeks ago. Love it!

However, I need some help here:

I have my TV connected to Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD through HDMI cable. I notice in the last of couple of days a problem: when I change the channel, especially using remote control input to change channel, for example to 403 (HD channel), occasionally screen went to snowing screen with no picture and sound. Tried to change channel several times after snowing screen, screen eventually went back to normal. Have anyone had such problem? What should I do to correct it if there is a way? Is this a problem with TV or HD box or HDMI cable?

Thanks a lot in advance!
post #14899 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 PM

Oita funny you said that, because I have the verizon motorola hd box, and it did the same thing to me, but then goes back to normal like you said.
post #14900 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oita100 View Post

I bought LN52A650 2 weeks ago. Love it!

However, I need some help here:

I have my TV connected to Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD through HDMI cable. I notice in the last of couple of days a problem: when I change the channel, especially using remote control input to change channel, for example to 403 (HD channel), occasionally screen went to snowing screen with no picture and sound. Tried to change channel several times after snowing screen, screen eventually went back to normal. Have anyone had such problem? What should I do to correct it if there is a way? Is this a problem with TV or HD box or HDMI cable?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Maybe it's a cable problem & or they're working in the area. Check all your cables & make sure the coaxial in cable is slightly wrench tight & at any splitters if using any. Unplug the TV & the box for a minute and then reboot everything. Maybe a bad Box also.
post #14901 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:

, but really just turning the source off is the best test.

Who really cares if an LCD has clouding when there is no source? It's kind of like testing the aim on a pistol with blanks in it don't you think?
post #14902 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsd View Post

Who really cares if an LCD has clouding when there is no source? It's kind of like testing the aim on a pistol with blanks in it don't you think?

It's kind of different. Clouding will be visible in dark scenes. It sucks knowing a uniformity issue is there and instinctively looking for it all the time.

post #14903 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

It's kind of different. Clouding will be visible in dark scenes. It sucks knowing a uniformity issue is there and instinctively looking for it all the time.

Yes, normally i wouldn't exchange a set if they were only there WITH NO SOURCE. However, my clouds were visible in dark screens on both sets i had. What was far worse, however, were the flashlights--those were easily visible, especially during letterboxed movies, all of which mine were.
post #14904 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

its like the fedex arrow, once you see it you cant unsee it. any fade to black or low light scene immediately draws my attention to it

post #14905 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo2Owens View Post

Okay so I received the VGA cables for the

But I also have another concern: I just noticed when connecting the cables that the bottom front of the TV looks like its slightly not connected. For example, if you look to where your power button is on the TV then directly underneath that, its very slightly open. Im not sure if this is how the TV is supposed to be but I just want to make sure that nothing serious can happen if its like this because the TV is flawless so far and I would hate to return this just because of something so little. I'll take a picture later on tonight to show exactly what I'm talking about but its near the power button underneath its slightly open.

Can anyone help me out here?
post #14906 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM

I am in the midst of shopping for my first HDTV and I love the incredible picture quality of the 650. I looked at the 46" 650 in a BB and CC and it is just amazing - the blacks were really black and the colors and clarity were great. Question - I was looking at the additional features of the 750 and I noticed that some of the online vendors were only charging $100 more in some cases. Seems like some nice features for a little more money. But this evening on the 750 thread, I noticed a ton of complaints about the halo effect which I guess can be pretty annoying. Does the 650 have any of the same halo effect issues as the 750? If not, it seems like a logical choice to go with the 650.
post #14907 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyson View Post

I am in the midst of shopping for my first HDTV and I love the incredible picture quality of the 650. I looked at the 46" 650 in a BB and CC and it is just amazing - the blacks were really black and the colors and clarity were great. Question - I was looking at the additional features of the 750 and I noticed that some of the online vendors were only charging $100 more in some cases. Seems like some nice features for a little more money. But this evening on the 750 thread, I noticed a ton of complaints about the halo effect which I guess can be pretty annoying. Does the 650 have any of the same halo effect issues as the 750? If not, it seems like a logical choice to go with the 650.

No, the 650 doesn't have the same effect.

And damn that person for mentioning the FedEx arrow.

WTF!?
post #14908 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM

well I'm on my second 40A650 the first was cycling on/off but had a beautiful picture. got this exchange home all sources have noise in the picture might as well be a Westinghouse i guess I'll have to take it back now.Might try the new vizio 120hz instead only 300 less, can get a Phillips 42/7403 for the same price.
post #14909 of 23513 Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Has anyone ever tried firmware updates of different regions on their A650 ?
Is there a difference between the U.K or Australian versions of the A650 besides their name ?
post #14910 of 23513 Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo2Owens View Post

Can anyone help me out here?

A few people posted that their bezel was slight unattached in one corner or another.
They said Samsung won't fix it since it is a cosmetic defect.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page