Advertisement

post #15392 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stsalomon90 View Post

I have had my tv for a few days now and I was looking through the rest of the stuff that game in the bag with the remote. Besides the cloth I have noticed this cylinder it is a bit more than an inch high and has a diameter of about one inch. The center is hollowed out like it should be around something. It also seems to have some kind of magnet in the middle of this.

What is this thing for?

That's a ferrite core. Supposed to clamp it to an HDMI cable near the end to help shield interference. Not sure if it works or not, but all the monoprice 28AWG HDMI cables have them. Figure can't really hurt.

That said, seems weird that Samsung included it.

I just got my 52" 650 this week after coming from a defective class-action Sony SXRD XBR1 that Best Buy replaced cuz they couldn't fix it. Samsung is definitely a little odd. Love the TV, but some stuff is odd, like the turn on/off sound, the red light, things like that.

Doug

Why can't things be easy?
post #15393 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stsalomon90 View Post

I have had my tv for a few days now and I was looking through the rest of the stuff that game in the bag with the remote. Besides the cloth I have noticed this cylinder it is a bit more than an inch high and has a diameter of about one inch. The center is hollowed out like it should be around something. It also seems to have some kind of magnet in the middle of this.

What is this thing for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

i have no clue Stsalomon90, i wonder what its for too, i think u need that when u mount ur TV on the wall, i dont know how u would use it but i think i read here on AVS someone that was requesting that part and was asking if someone was willing to sell it to him because he lost his and he must mount his TV on the wall..

Like said above, it's the ferrite core. Only comes with the 46" though. Look in your manual, it describes contents included.
post #15394 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Hi guys, we just got our LN52A650, and i must say, that we LOVE IT!!!!

The pictures are just brilliant ( and we haven't even tried to adjust any settings ).

We do have a couple of questions though. My husband must have spent an hour trying to find the codes for this tv, so that our Scientific Atlanta remote control could be used, instead of the Samsun remote.

One of the main reasons that we would rather use the Scientific Atlanta remote ( we are Comcast cable subscribers ), is that particular remote control allows us to access tv guide menu's, as well as accessing the hard drive in the Comcast cable box, to watch stuff we have recorded with the set-top box.

So, here are our two questions. The codes my husband found were all 5 digit codes. The remote control will only accept 4 digits,, one of which kind of works ( it was code 1006 i believe ). BUT, when we use the Scientific Atlanta remote to turn the volume up or down, holding down the volume control will not work. We have to hit the volume control, then release, then hit the volume control again, etc etc. Raising the volume up quite a bit, then becomes an issue.

So is the code we are using, correct, or is that the reason were having the volume control problem.

Again... the picture is beautiful !!!!!
post #15395 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUWildcat View Post

That's a ferrite core. Supposed to clamp it to an HDMI cable near the end to help shield interference. Not sure if it works or not, but all the monoprice 28AWG HDMI cables have them. Figure can't really hurt.

That said, seems weird that Samsung included it.

I just got my 52" 650 this week after coming from a defective class-action Sony SXRD XBR1 that Best Buy replaced cuz they couldn't fix it. Samsung is definitely a little odd. Love the TV, but some stuff is odd, like the turn on/off sound, the red light, things like that.

Doug

You can turn up or down, and even off the sound that comes up when you turn your TV on and off. I have had this TV for 3 weeks, so up to now the sound is not bothering me yet! LOL

Now, i have the AMP to high and haven't seen any difference. What am i supposed to see?
post #15396 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Finally got some money I was due so I sent my order down the Big River, got a 40 and a 46 coming in the next week hopefully. Labor day is throwing my ship date off though. =(

Will report back when the sets arrive.
post #15397 of 23508 Old 08-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Can someone point me to the page where they show you how to use your PC with HDMI?

It works fine when I use the VGA plug in. When I try to use a DVI->HDMI to hook my PC up to my 52" 650 TV, it will not display once booted into Windows. It does show the BIOS and such though. I've upgraded the firmware, renamed HDMI2 to PC. Not too sure why this isn't working.
post #15398 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I returned two sets to Amazon before I got one I was happy with. Not perfect, but the flashlights are nearly invisible & not noticeable unless I set the backlight to 10 in a dark room.

I'm actally thinking of returning my second set to amazon for a third one because of purple haze and another issue i'm not even sure what it's called but i'll post some pictures below.
Also on HDMI 1 when playing 24p material i get the "mode not supported" message for a few seconds before the movie starts.
Is it ok to request a second replacement from amazon because someone on this forum said that they closed his amazon account because of excessive returns?
post #15399 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbattousaixo View Post

Can someone point me to the page where they show you how to use your PC with HDMI?

It works fine when I use the VGA plug in. When I try to use a DVI->HDMI to hook my PC up to my 52" 650 TV, it will not display once booted into Windows. It does show the BIOS and such though. I've upgraded the firmware, renamed HDMI2 to PC. Not too sure why this isn't working.

You seem to be already using the HDMI2, so now try to set your PC/graphic card resolution to 1920x1080 @60Hz. I had a similar problem earlier, but now i am writing this looking at my 46a650 as my monitor.
post #15400 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtrouble View Post

I'm actally thinking of returning my second set to amazon for a third one because of purple haze and another issue i'm not even sure what it's called but i'll post some pictures below.
Also on HDMI 1 when playing 24p material i get the "mode not supported" message for a few seconds before the movie starts.
Is it ok to request a second replacement from amazon because someone on this forum said that they closed his amazon account because of excessive returns?

Dude, i bet there is a lemon law in your state that protects you from Amazon trying to bully you towards keeping a bad item (a very expensive btw)!
Now, when i tried to watch, i think Ratattouile, i had the same message "mode not supported", but then i thought it was from the PS3.

EDIT: the "mode not supported" message i got for a few seconds then it played fine afterwards.
On a side note, i don't notice purple hazes, flashlights nor dead pixels. I am not even looking for it, but then i suppose on your case it must to be very noticeable!
My only problem so far is that i haven't noticed the difference between AMP on high and it being off. I just tried the demo mode while watching spider-man 3 (the sky fight scene between goblin and spidey), neither me nor my wife could notice any difference!
post #15401 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLight View Post

Dude, i bet there is a lemon law in your state that protects you from Amazon trying to bully you towards keeping a bad item (a very expensive btw)!
Now, when i tried to watch, i think Ratattouile, i had the same message "mode not supported", but then i thought it was from the PS3.

EDIT: the "mode not supported" message i got for a few seconds then it played fine afterwards.
On a side note, i don't notice purple hazes, flashlights nor dead pixels. I am not even looking for it, but then i suppose on your case it must to be very noticeable!
My only problem so far is that i haven't noticed the difference between AMP on high and it being off. I just tried the demo mode while watching spider-man 3 (the sky fight scene between goblin and spidey), neither me nor my wife could notice any difference!

I don't think it's from the PS3 because when i got my first set (which had the purple haze as well) i didn't see the "mode not supported" message, also when i switched the PS3 to hdmi 2, 3 or 4 i didn't get the message either, so i concluded that it was form the HDMI 1 port.
I could definitely see the difference between AMP on and off specially on movies, when AMP is turned on it gives it the "soap opera" look, it feels like you're there on the set when the movie is being shot kinda like the extra features on dvds or blu rays when there's a director commentary showing viewers how the movie was shot.
IMO it's easier to see the difference between AMP on and off without using the demo mode but just switch form high to off and you'll be able to see it.
The haze is very noticeable on my set, it's not something i was actually looking for, also i don't know if you've seen the pictures i posted, sometimes on a dark screen there are "lines" flickering, i'm not sure what exactly it is that's why i posted those pictures.
I'll probably end up either asking for another replacement or maybe call samsung and have them fix it.
Worst case scenerio i'll return it and get a 750 but i really don't want to do that because it was such a great deal when i purchased the set.
post #15402 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtrouble View Post

Keep returning until you get a satisfactory set. It's your choice to do so.

post #15403 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 AM

For those considering purchasing from Big River, the following news may affect your decision as to when you will purchase (what follows is an e-mail from them):

"Thank you for contacting us to take advantage of our Post-Order Price Guarantee. I've confirmed that we now offer a greater discount on ABC than at the time you placed your order.

Since your purchase shipped within the past 30 days, I've requested a refund of $2.00 to the original payment method used for your order.

This amount reflects the difference between the price you were originally charged for the item and the current price offered by Amazon.com. This refund should be processed in the next few days.

Only orders placed before September 1, 2008 are eligible for a price difference refund under the Post-Order Price Guarantee policy. As of September 1, 2008 we are no longer offering discounts if prices change on our website after you make a purchase."
post #15404 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
my initial thoughts with AMP were negative, but after getting used to the what seems to be slightly sped up video, it seems to give everything more pop or a 3D like look. so in short, i'm starting to like it a lot. its funny that i went from hating it to loving it. i have it set to low btw.
post #15405 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosola View Post

For those considering purchasing from Big River, the following news may affect your decision as to when you will purchase (what follows is an e-mail from them):

"Thank you for contacting us to take advantage of our Post-Order Price Guarantee. I've confirmed that we now offer a greater discount on ABC than at the time you placed your order.

Since your purchase shipped within the past 30 days, I've requested a refund of $2.00 to the original payment method used for your order.

This amount reflects the difference between the price you were originally charged for the item and the current price offered by Amazon.com. This refund should be processed in the next few days.

Only orders placed before September 1, 2008 are eligible for a price difference refund under the Post-Order Price Guarantee policy. As of September 1, 2008 we are no longer offering discounts if prices change on our website after you make a purchase."

Wow, that sucks. I didn't know they were stopping that. I just checked their site and noticed they don't have that info listed anymore.

Thanks for the info.
post #15406 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:

WOW!!!

whew! i should get my 750 friday with the Guarantee policy for the next three weeks.

that suck they stoped this.
post #15407 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Will this tv clean up a signal or make it look better than other tv's? I want to upgrade to Dish's HD only package but most people say their service isn't that great in HD. Anyone have the 52 inch 650 and Dish HD? BTW, I would be going from a 32 in sony tube with dish to the 52 inch 650 with the VIP 722 receiver and an ota antenna for locals. Any info would be appreciated.
post #15408 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan1976 View Post

dude, I am in the same boat as you. The college games on espn and espn 2 last night looked awful. Very blury. Up close it looked fine, but when they panned out it looked really fuzzy. Have you had any luck changing your settings? I also have direct. I have the HR-20 that I bought when HD first becaame available in the Nashville area. I've swapped out both of my HDMI cables and I've even bypassed my Yamaha receiver thinking that it might have been the issue, but it still looked like junk. I still have 15 days to return to CC so I guess I still have time to adjust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeman11 View Post

I have the exact same setup, DTV with the HR-20. Somethings look amazing but motion still seems to be an issue. I'm watching the Sox right now and it looks great but a on some quick camera moves the grass gets all pixelated and fuzzy.

I haven't given up on this TV yet, I'm going to hook-up my old DLP side by side so I can get a better feel for what I'm seeing. I'll keep you posted.

I gotta say, I completely changed my mine on this one. I watched some Red Sox on Nesn, which has the best HD PQ, as well as the Broncos game on both my Samsung 50" DLP(older one, I think it's an HLN) and my new 52" 650 and the in no comparision; the 650 is ridiculously better. For me the issue with the blur is definitely the signal. The thing that was buggy me is that the better image lets you see the compression better than on my old tv.

So basically the PQ is so good that any defects stand out more. I would pause andcheck both images and you can see the same blur but it's just some much more clear onthe 650 than the DLP. For me the PQ is so mich better that I don't even mind the blur now. I think I had my expectations too high that I couldn't see how much better this tv is than my old one.

The settings I'm using right now for sports is:
Standard
BL:7
Con:94
Bright: 30
Sharp: 20
Color: 50
G/R: 50

Black adjust: Off
Dynamic COntrst: High
Gamma: 0
Color Space : native
Flesh: 0
Edge Enhan: off

Color tone: normal
DNR: medium
Film: off
Blue: off
Amp: low

I haven't really messed with the color too much yet, but I think it looks pretty good.
post #15409 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Searched this manual and this forum without luck. Does anyone know a way to turn the picture off, for when you're listening to music through the TV speakers and want audio only?

Thank you.
post #15410 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeman11 View Post

So basically the PQ is so good that any defects stand out more. I would pause andcheck both images and you can see the same blur but it's just some much more clear onthe 650 than the DLP. For me the PQ is so mich better that I don't even mind the blur now. I think I had my expectations too high that I couldn't see how much better this tv is than my old one.

I guess I tend to agree, but if you extend that argument, it implies that if your TV viewing is mostly cable, you're better off buying an inferior TV. You'd enjoy it more because you won't see as many flaws in the source, and you'll save money in the bargain.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #15411 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

I guess I tend to agree, but if you extend that argument, it implies that if your TV viewing is mostly cable, you're better off buying an inferior TV. You'd enjoy it more because you won't see as many flaws in the source, and you'll save money in the bargain.

Maybe Comcast monitors this forum and will report back to the engineers to stop compressing those signals as much so that we will be happier. I've heard that they have moles in out midst.
post #15412 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitt4ever View Post

My apologies, but I wasn't totally paying attention to what you were saying. You specified that you were using WEP. I just had WPA stuck in my mind. A WEP key is hexadecimal. It is composed of numbers 0-9 and letters A-F (or a-f). When entering the WEP key, it shouldn't matter if you enter uppercase or lower case for A-F.

For those setting up their linkstick, here is a quick set of instructions that I hope will help:

1) Go to MENU->SETUP->NETWORK SELECTION.
- Change the value to Wireless
2) Go to MENU->SETUP->WIRELESS NETWORK SETUP
- If using DHCP (likely), set INTERNET PROTOCOL to AUTOSETUP
- Select ACCESS POINT SELECT
- Wait for your wireless network name to show up (the ESSID), and select it
- It should allow you to appropriately enter in your wireless encryption key
- If using WEP, it will allow you to enter in digits 0-9 and uppercase letters A-F. For WEP, lower case a-f is the same as uppercase A-F
- If using WPA, it will allow you to use the Red button to toggle through upper case letters, lower case letters and characters for WPA key entry.
- Press "Blue" button when done.
3) When you are done entering everything in, it takes a decent amount of time for the wireless connection to be made (seemed like around 20-30 seconds for me).
4) It should say that it successfully connected.
5) You can now use the Info.L button to bring up the information bar (that takes about 5-10 seconds to appear after you press the Info.L button).

Hope this helps someone.

128-bit WEP security with auto detect does NOT work with the Linkstick for me. However, I changed everything I have over to WPA and the Linkstick works fine. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get WEP to work. Just curious since Samsung does specifically list WEP as being supported.

I was surprised to get my free Linkstick yesterday since I purchased and registered my TV back in early May. I would have never spent $38 on it though. I doubt I'll ever use it since I have a laptop close to my TV.
post #15413 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosola View Post

That's an extremely bad move on amazon's part, and my guess is it will result in much more returns, as customers will want the lowest price.

If you have AMP, HERE's a test for TBE.
post #15414 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 AM

That move by Amazon really does make people think before they purchase from Amazon since that was a nice feature. I was planning on purchasing the 46A650 on Amazon but I was a little nervous if I had a problem with the set right after delivery about returning the set. Has anyone heard of any special Labor Day sales on the 650 at BB and CC. I was waiting to check the sales flyers from Sunday's newspaper.
post #15415 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 12:02 PM

what happens if i plug my ipod into the usb? just curious. i'm too afraid to try it.
post #15416 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 12:07 PM

my local "CC" has the same price as their website, told them i was ready to buy and i'll i need is a deal and it's sold, they told me, you see the price right? my local store did not want to bargain at all, so ordered online ( we'll see how that works out, havent received it yet)

last day to use big river and 30 day price guarantee
post #15417 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM

roadx - who did you order it from?
post #15418 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyson View Post

roadx - who did you order it from?

He ordered it from Amazon...
post #15419 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM

How do PS2 games look on the 650?
post #15420 of 23508 Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:

He ordered it from Amazon...

ding.ding..ding......winner. winner..... winner LOL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page