Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 523 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15661 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must say that I am impressed by the quick responses on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15662 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post

I have a strange problem that just cropped up on my 52" 650. Yesterday, the video dropped out. The audio was still there, I could issue commands via the remote, I could switch the inputs. But no matter what I did, the panel didn't show a picture, not even the tv info at the top left when you change a channel or change the input. However when I turned the tv off and on, it seemed to work fine again. Then later randomly it did it again. It happens on every input and at random times. Once it went for 4 hours without a problem, once it happened after 30 minutes. This has never happened before yesterday.

My firmware is 1003.M. Has anyone had this problem? If so, are there any known fixes? Would a firmware update to 2001.3 help?

Read the first page of this thread. Yes, you need to upgrade the firmware.
post #15663 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoolarson View Post

No bumblebees in the background. No broken lines or jaggies. No pixelization or blocking. No flicker when there is motion. And a discernable difference between HD and non HD channels and not just the COOL graphics.

I have one question? Isn't it possible that there was something wrong with this particular tv?

If you do not see the difference between HD and SD channels then something is definitely wrong, even though some HD channels aren't that great. Are you sure you are receiving HD service? I don't know how FiOS works but with Comcast some people have a cable box and just assume they have HD by going to those channels without even really having the service. Best way to test the TV would have been to try a BR (or now extinct HD-DVD) if you have that. It should look phenomenal. Then you would know the problem is your cable provider.
post #15664 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

No bumblebees in the background. No broken lines or jaggies. No pixelization or blocking. No flicker when there is motion. And a discernable difference between HD and non HD channels and not just the COOL graphics.

I have one question? Isn't it possible that there was something wrong with this particular tv?

I REALLY doubt a lemon TV would cause that, although certain settings can exacerbate source issues, like edge enhancement and sharpening. To really get the best out of a high end TV, you need a high quality source, and the HDTV broadcasts I've seen are far from reference material, I'd say an upscaled SD DVD would look better most of the time (i havent seen FIOS though)
post #15665 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Read the first page of this thread. Yes, you need to upgrade the firmware.

I just read the front page. The only thing similar to my problem is the intermittent shut off. I believe that is talking about the original problem where the entire tv shuts off automatically and intermittently. I believe that is not my problem. My tv remains on, its just the display that blacks out with any input. The speakers still work and I can hear my program or movie. Also, the intermittent shut off was supposed to be fixed with my firmware of 1003.M.
post #15666 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post

I just read the front page. The only thing similar to my problem is the intermittent shut off. I believe that is talking about the original problem where the entire tv shuts off automatically and intermittently. I believe that is not my problem. My tv remains on, its just the display that blacks out with any input. The speakers still work and I can hear my program or movie. Also, the intermittent shut off was supposed to be fixed with my firmware of 1003.M.

Why not just call Samsung and see what kind of advice they would give you? Maybe they will either schedule a tech to come out and have a look at your set or send you a new firmware on a thumbdrive for you to upgrade your set.

Go 24
post #15667 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 PM

anyone have any input between FW 2001.3 and 2003? I see the latest update is 2001.3. Should i update to it or just leave it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
post #15668 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Do you think samsung will release a new version of the A650 that corrects the reflective surface and the touch of color problem that people are complaining about?

Otherwise, its a great TV I have been told.
post #15669 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydanger007 View Post

Do you think samsung will release a new version of the A650 that corrects the reflective surface and the touch of color problem that people are complaining about?

Otherwise, its a great TV I have been told.

You must be joking!!! These are not issues. The glossy screen gives great PQ and is not that reflective IMO and the TOC looks subtle and very classy.

You obviously should just get the 550 series which has matte screen and no TOC.
post #15670 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Do you realize most HD broadcasts have pitiful quality? They're typically compressed to very low bitrates, which causes loss of detail and heavy macroblocking, and sometimes the broadcaster uses heavy noise reduction, which, if done poorly, can lead to motion blurring (or smearing, perhaps would be more a accurate description). To blame the TV without even trying a high quality source is just ridiculous.

It is why it's better to calibrate the TV using a DVD source. For the most part, there are no references for cable/local broadcasts and they are not the same. The best we can do, really, is to calibrate the TV using a DVD player then apply the settings (with tweaks here and there) to the cable input and hope for the best.

Version #3: My (current) settings for Samsung LNxxA650
Let's make this clear: Calibration IS NOT synonymous with copying settings!
Join the Samsung LCD Owners Social Group! :)
post #15671 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did try calibrating it and didn't notice any great improvement. I may not have turned it off though. I went into the menu and tweaked just about every other setting you can but did not see anything to rave about.

Read my post above.

post #15672 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Hi,

Is there some trick to enable the 650 to default to HDMI-2?

I have a HTPC and ONLY want the TV to start connected to it. Typically it will start in TV mode, and of course there's not signal coming in, so it complains.

I don't want to use SOURCE every time I turn the TV on.

Has anyone lost their flashlights since buying the TV? I read a lot about the initial horror of experiencing them, and the flurry of TV swaps, but not much about people who's problem has faded/disappeared.

Thanks for reading.
post #15673 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Recently got the 46" A650 and was dissapointed. I am assuming we got a dud from the reviews I read all over the internet. I will admit that we probably got a larger set than we needed as we are viewing from approx 7' but I don't think that this explains the poor quality we observed.

We were watching only fiber optic TV and the set performed horribly with motion. While watching the Democratic NC recently I would notice that when there was a speaker in front of the blue background it looked okay, not great, but when they panned the audience with all of the flags and banners waving and bouncing it looked horrible. ALso, close ups on people's faces in the audience contained blurry pixelization and jaggies.

The tv service sent out someone and checked the signal who said that it was strong. They also gave me their cable instead of what I had run to see if it improved things. When he was there it seemed to a bit, but over all it isn't much better.

I know that these TVs look great with BluRay but most of our viewing will be TV and if the quality is bad enough to distract me from my viewing I don't see that it is worth it.

I even experimented by going between the regular Disney Channel and the HD version and saw no difference in quality, except that the little DIsney graphic in the bottom corner looked sharper.

I am new to these tvs and wonder if I was just expecting too much but I find it hard to believe that so many people would rave about HD and this TV in particular, if it looked like what I was witnessing. Then again how do you explain the popularity of the top selling AMerican Beer?

I am turned off to Samsung right now even though it was probably a dud. Can anyone here tell me how their 650 works with TV broadcasts?

ANy help would be appreciated.

To say that you did not get a dud, i don't think is a fair statement. I am sure that what you were seeing on that set was infact a poor picture ( as you described it ).

I think it is also fair to say, that like Gmo0ve said, that your best bet would have been to first check it against a good known quality DVD source. If they were both bad ( to your eyes ), then probably yes... that set was defective.

We sit about 8' away from our LN52A650, and without having done any calibration ( i'm not even sure i want to attempt that ), our picture was fantastic. And as you mentioned, that you saw a lot of other people saying the same thing.

It is a shame that you took it back, without having a Samsung technician looking at it first.

Lastly, i get the feeling that you are asking others out here whether you judged the set that you had, wrongly. Spending as much money as we all have, to acquire these kind of sets, you should expect your moneys worth.

Would i recommend you getting another Samsung? In a heart beat! They really are that good. You were just unlucky in the one that you got.
post #15674 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I have not ruled out another Samsung 650 or maybe the 7 or 8 series.

When you say the picture was fantastic were you watching a Blu-Ray Disc, DVD or cable/satellite/FIOS type broadcast?
post #15675 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I have not ruled out another Samsung 650 or maybe the 7 or 8 series.

When you say the picture was fantastic were you watching a Blu-Ray Disc, DVD or cable/satellite/FIOS type broadcast?

Don't have Blu-Ray, still only have an older DVD player ( progressive scan ). All our viewing is mainly cable ( Comcast ).

Granted, since we have gotten this TV, we are watching more HD channels than before, but even when watching the premium movie channels, there is a world of difference between it, and the Hitachi that we had.

When i say fantastic, i mean..... we watch a live broadcast ( sports, news, etc ), and it looks like 3D. Like you could reach into the TV. The picture is beautiful. If we watch the NON digital channels, the pictures are still crappy, but what can you expect, when they were crappy with our other TV too.

I will say it again..... we would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.
post #15676 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I read your post last night and I tried bumping my amp up to high on my 850. I was watching Transformers and had previously set the amp to low. Before changing it to high, I had zero problems with artifacts. Once I changed the setting to high, I had a few artifacts show up when characters were in motion on the screen. It didn't happen all the time, but when it did, it was noticeable.

Personally, having the amp set to high made me feel a little sea-sick for lack of a better term. It was too "processed" for me. I thought that low provided a somewhat noticeable effect, too. But low is something that I could get used to without much effort or problem.

Just thought I'd throw my .02 into the discussion.

I did not like the artifacts at all, rather not have it! So, i will do some tests, like try the Kung Fu Panda preview from the PS3 network.
Btw, congrats on your 850
post #15677 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vas377 View Post

Don't have Blu-Ray, still only have an older DVD player ( progressive scan ). All our viewing is mainly cable ( Comcast ).

Granted, since we have gotten this TV, we are watching more HD channels than before, but even when watching the premium movie channels, there is a world of difference between it, and the Hitachi that we had.

When i say fantastic, i mean..... we watch a live broadcast ( sports, news, etc ), and it looks like 3D. Like you could reach into the TV. The picture is beautiful. If we watch the NON digital channels, the pictures are still crappy, but what can you expect, when they were crappy with our other TV too.

I will say it again..... we would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Hi, here at my house now we only watch HD channels now, we have Comcast as well. I wonder if they have a HD only plan, because all the other channels i don't even bother! Including my FSC and GolTV package!
post #15678 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
And I find it hard to believe you'd see NO difference between SD and HD channels... I'm not sure how they work, but are you sure you had the FIOS receiver outputting 1080i to the TV? Maybe it was simply scaling everything to SD resolution?
post #15679 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vas377 View Post

If we watch the NON digital channels, the pictures are still crappy, but what can you expect, when they were crappy with our other TV too.

Yup. PQ can only be as good as its source. What we can do on our end is to calibrate the TV so that we'll achieve the best possible PQ (according to the standard of course) every time.

post #15680 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core2 View Post

Hi,

Is there some trick to enable the 650 to default to HDMI-2?

I have a HTPC and ONLY want the TV to start connected to it. Typically it will start in TV mode, and of course there's not signal coming in, so it complains.

I don't want to use SOURCE every time I turn the TV on.

Has anyone lost their flashlights since buying the TV? I read a lot about the initial horror of experiencing them, and the flurry of TV swaps, but not much about people who's problem has faded/disappeared.

Thanks for reading.

Hmm, when I turn mine on it starts on the input it was on from previous use.
post #15681 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Recently got the 46" A650 and was dissapointed. I am assuming we got a dud from the reviews I read all over the internet. I will admit that we probably got a larger set than we needed as we are viewing from approx 7' but I don't think that this explains the poor quality we observed.

We were watching only fiber optic TV and the set performed horribly with motion. While watching the Democratic NC recently I would notice that when there was a speaker in front of the blue background it looked okay, not great, but when they panned the audience with all of the flags and banners waving and bouncing it looked horrible. ALso, close ups on people's faces in the audience contained blurry pixelization and jaggies.

The tv service sent out someone and checked the signal who said that it was strong. They also gave me their cable instead of what I had run to see if it improved things. When he was there it seemed to a bit, but over all it isn't much better.

I know that these TVs look great with BluRay but most of our viewing will be TV and if the quality is bad enough to distract me from my viewing I don't see that it is worth it.

I even experimented by going between the regular Disney Channel and the HD version and saw no difference in quality, except that the little DIsney graphic in the bottom corner looked sharper.

I am new to these tvs and wonder if I was just expecting too much but I find it hard to believe that so many people would rave about HD and this TV in particular, if it looked like what I was witnessing. Then again how do you explain the popularity of the top selling AMerican Beer?

I am turned off to Samsung right now even though it was probably a dud. Can anyone here tell me how their 650 works with TV broadcasts?

ANy help would be appreciated.

I'm wondering, you said disney and disneyhd looked the same? were you using an hd box and and hdmi cord?
post #15682 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettwerk View Post

Hmm, when I turn mine on it starts on the input it was on from previous use.

Yeah, same here. It should stay on the last-used source. If not, there is something wonky with the TV.

- Darell
post #15683 of 23506 Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

And I find it hard to believe you'd see NO difference between SD and HD channels... I'm not sure how they work, but are you sure you had the FIOS receiver outputting 1080i to the TV? Maybe it was simply scaling everything to SD resolution?

I think I may know the problem. Seems some of the brodcasts did not have HD cameras when they went on site for shooting.
So they just shot at 480i & just upscaled it to 720p.

For example, Brian Williams on NBC looks amazing at HD, but last week they went to the conventions they did not have it in HD for some segments.
post #15684 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Hey, just thought I would let everyone know that I was at a BB Magnolia today and I was ready to pull the trigger on a 52a650 and they did not have any in stock and did not have any in the whole district to order in for me. Has anyone heard of the 650 being phased out. I live in the Memphis area, which is a fairly large city so I thought this was strange. The guy there had no clue why there was an availability problem. They had plenty of 750's, and 850's in stock though
post #15685 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 AM

Can compontent cables do 1080p? I was think of getting some tartan cables, For some reason when I use my HDMI on my 650 I get a popping noise.
post #15686 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndre View Post

I'm wondering, you said disney and disneyhd looked the same? were you using an hd box and and hdmi cord?

yes and yes. FIOS set to 1080p
post #15687 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM

Hello Everyone, I recently ordered an ln46a650 from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. I've done plenty of reading on what clouding, purple haze, etc. are. My question is however, what's the quickest way to check for these things as I don't want to have the delivery guys standing around forever? Do I simply turn to a blank channel / source and max out the backlighting?

I also know I'll go through the standard check for damages, that it powers on, and that I get picture and sound. Anything else I should check?

I guess at this point now, my toughest decision will be to decide which I want to watch first, cars or ratatouille in HD (as I have both), :-)

EDIT: - I live in south central PA, 45min - 1hr. away from Harrisburg which is where my TV is currently. Now so far today / yesterday I'ven't received any calls from CEVA, but I know a lot of people on here suggest that you should call them to make things smoother and quicker, well how do I go about doing this? I looked on the CEVA website but I can't find a number other then for their corporate offices.

post #15688 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes and yes. FIOS set to 1080p

That doesn't sound right. I didn't think FiOS went above 1080i, like Comcast.
post #15689 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

That doesn't sound right. I didn't think FiOS went above 1080i, like Comcast.

Fios is 1080I not "P"..

BTW, found the first "serious" flaw in the A650. While watching the Eagles and Steelers on Fios, whenever a field goal or extra point was kicked (camera angle from behind the kicker), the entire section where the net area was behind the field goal post would blur to the point where it look like one perfect square of blur....my wife and son were like.."what the heck was that.." so for my wife to notice it, it must be bad. Antone else see this? otherwise everything else was flawless!!!

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #15690 of 23506 Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

BTW, found the first "serious" flaw in the A650. While watching the Eagles and Steelers on Fios, whenever a field goal or extra point was kicked (camera angle from behind the kicker), the entire section where the net area was behind the field goal post would blur to the point where it look like one perfect square of blur....my wife and son were like.."what the heck was that.." so for my wife to notice it, it must be bad. Antone else see this? otherwise everything else was flawless!!!

Serious flaw??? Please!!! It's not even a 650 flaw at all, yet alone a serious flaw. I did notice what you said a couple times on the extra points when the Eagles crushed the Rams but I just watched the Browns kick an extra point and it looked perfect. It was probably something with those cameras or broadcast of those games. I will need to check my 4065F also to see if I notice it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page