Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 526 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdong1121 View Post

Yes I am using component cables red, blue and green! I triple checked the connections, still I have a blue tint or blue people. I'm sure it is a setting on the TV or the cable box but I'm not sure what? Anymore help is appreciated.

Is the DVR setup menu set to output component? The 3412 DVR has HDMI, so just get an HDMI cable and try that? Better off using that anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

A few very old DVDs aren't anamorphoic (or "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs")... this sounds like the case for this disc.

Oh, there are MANY that are not anamorphic. And I own lots of them. Most of my collection is from the very early days of DVDs... you know when nobody had even heard of Amazon and Google didn't exist. And yes this is one of those non-anamorphic disks. However, the others in my collection work as they should. This one acts like I'm watching it on a 4x3 TV for some reason.

I have a Sony up-converting DVD player that is less than a year old. But I'm thinking it is the DVD player's fault here.

- Darell
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by darelldd View Post

Oh, there are MANY that are not anamorphic. And I own lots of them. Most of my collection is from the very early days of DVDs... you know when nobody had even heard of Amazon and Google didn't exist. And yes this is one of those non-anamorphic disks. However, the others in my collection work as they should. This one acts like I'm watching it on a 4x3 TV for some reason.

I have a Sony up-converting DVD player that is less than a year old. But I'm thinking it is the DVD player's fault here.

I think the term "many" is overstating it... its very rare to run across a non-anamorphic widescreen/letterboxed DVD any more. But there are some, mostly older DVDs.

A non-anamorphic widescreen (or letterboxed) DVD will appear postage-stamped on a widescreen TV if everything is set up properly. To compensate, use the TV's zoom feature... just remember to switch back after the movie is over.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:

s the DVR setup menu set to output component? Does it have HDMI?

Yes it does have HDMI but I do not have the cables yet. Can you explain what you mean by "DVR setup menu set to output component?"? Where is this option?

For what its worth, I just connected my xbox360 to the second av input and it works fine! No blue tint. Odd!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it does have HDMI but I do not have the cables yet. Can you explain what you mean by "DVR setup menu set to output component?"? Where is this option?

For what its worth, I just connected my xbox360 to the second av input and it works fine! No blue tint. Odd!!

Turn your DVR off with the TV on and press the Menu button on your DVR remote (I think it's Menu). You should get a white screen with settings. I'm pretty sure one of them is the output setting.

When you hooked up the Xbox, did you use same cables? Did you try the other component input on the TV with the DVR?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I guess the answer to your question depends of your sensitivity to lag.

With AMP on, I think the lag would be noticeable to just about anyone. Like you said, push the button and there seem to be a short delay before Mario jumps. But then click the E.mode button on the remote a couple times to put TV into game mode and that delay disappears -- try it!

Now there are some serious hardcore game players (these are they guys that play a lot of fighting games like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc.) where instantaneous reaction to quickest fraction of second is required. I mean, these guys count the frames in characters animations to know when to respond! Anyway, they would know how much lag each TV has... I'm not one of these players. To my mere mortal eyes, I can't detect any lag in game mode.

Oh, and when I calibrated RockBand, it said the lag off-set was "-1ms", which is pretty much means non-existant.

Reading through all posts about games and lag, I'm still confused. Everybody talks about AMP causing lag and game mode having none, but worse PQ. What kind of lag do you get if AMP is OFF, but you still DON'T have it on game mode? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apackofmonkeys View Post

Reading through all posts about games and lag, I'm still confused. Everybody talks about AMP causing lag and game mode having none, but worse PQ. What kind of lag do you get if AMP is OFF, but you still DON'T have it on game mode? Thanks in advance!

I'm not a gamer but I'm pretty sure game mode turns off all the picture enhancement options (AMP, DNR, EE etc.) which causes more lag. I think that is the reason why some say the PQ is worse in game mode. I'm not sure about the second part of your question.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I think the term "many" is overstating it... its very rare to run across a non-anamorphic widescreen/letterboxed DVD any more. But there are some, mostly older DVDs.

I've lost you somewhere. These disks are not bing purchased today. They are not new, they are not modern. They are from my collection back when there were literally just a few hundreds disks available for purchase. My first DVD player cost $2000. I'm talking about THAT era. Most of my collection is from before anamorphic was widely (or at all) offered. "Many" isn't overstating it all. I have "MANY" non-anamophic DVDs. Honestly.

Quote:

A non-anamorphic widescreen (or letterboxed) DVD will appear postage-stamped on a widescreen TV if everything is set up properly. To compensate, use the TV's zoom feature... just remember to switch back after the movie is over.

If this is true, then I have 20 or 30 non-anamorphic disks that are odd, and one that is normal? My 20 or 30 other non-anamorphic disks display perfectly. They use the full screen width and are in the proper aspect ration when the TV is set to "Just Scan." This one (Top Gun) shows as a postage stamp, or I can stretch the aspect to fit (or zoom as you suggest). There's no logical reason why a non-anamorphic disk should not use the full width of the screen as long as the DVD player knows that it is going to be shown on a wide screen. And the bulk of my non-anamorphic disks certainly follow that logic.

Still confused. I do appreciate your time and effort on this though.

- Darell
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've lost you somewhere. These disks are not bing purchased today. They are not new, they are not modern. They are from my collection back when there were literally just a few hundreds disks available for purchase. My first DVD player cost $2000. I'm talking about THAT era. Most of my collection is from before anamorphic was widely (or at all) offered. "Many" isn't overstating it all. I have "MANY" non-anamophic DVDs. Honestly.

If this is true, then I have 20 or 30 non-anamorphic disks that are odd, and one that is normal? My 20 or 30 other non-anamorphic disks display perfectly. They use the full screen width and are in the proper aspect ration when the TV is set to "Just Scan." This one (Top Gun) shows as a postage stamp, or I can stretch the aspect to fit (or zoom as you suggest). There's no logical reason why a non-anamorphic disk should not use the full width of the screen as long as the DVD player knows that it is going to be shown on a wide screen. And the bulk of my non-anamorphic disks certainly follow that logic.

Still confused. I do appreciate your time and effort on this though.

Just switch to a high def player and start getting high def DVD's... problem solved.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Just switch to a high def player and start getting high def DVD's... problem solved.

Yeah, I knew that was coming...
First everything was purchased on VHS. And several VHS players.
Next everything was purchased on laser disk. And several LD players.
Next it was all on DVD. And several DVD players (The last one up-converting)

Would have been cheaper to buy movie tickets every night! I'm really holding off on replacing everything with Blue Ray now. Seems to me that the physical, spinning disk is in sunset. I'm at the point of tossing my DVD collection and just going the Netflix route for now. So I *might* go one more DVD player and get a Blue Ray and rent the disks until the next big thing comes along. Sigh.

- Darell
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would have been cheaper to buy movie tickets every night! I'm really holding off on replacing everything with Blue Ray now. Seems to me that the physical, spinning disk is in sunset. I'm at the point of tossing my DVD collection and just going the Netflix route for now. So I *might* go one more DVD player and get a Blue Ray and rent the disks until the next big thing comes along. Sigh.

You will be so much happier with the qulaity once you switch over. I mean the 650's do a good job upconverting SD DVD's but my HD-DVD's are so much better it is amazing. The PQ is absolutely stunning!! I have yet to get my BR PS3 player even though I have about 20 BR movies ready to go. LOL!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt54987 View Post

How big of a jump would this be over my Sharp 46D64U? I could probably get $1000 for that TV to put towards a LN46A650 but would it be worth the difference?

Circuit City has no interest till 2012 on Samsung TVs, Best buy no interest for 18 months and Amazon for 24 months.

Just so you know, that Amazon no interest for 24 months offer, requires you to have a landline / home phone. I tried to do it, and was denied because I only have a cell phone. I even called their customer service because I have other credit cards that didn't require a landline and know that the trend is moving away from landlines. I couldn't believe it, but that was what the guy told me.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure about the second part of your question.

AMP and game mode aren't the only two possibilities, correct? You can have AMP turned off, yet still not be in game mode, right? I'm assuming this is the case, correct me if I'm wrong. My question is if AMP is turned off, but you don't have game mode turned on, what is the lag like? In between?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AMP and game mode aren't the only two possibilities, correct? You can have AMP turned off, yet still not be in game mode, right? I'm assuming this is the case, correct me if I'm wrong. My question is if AMP is turned off, but you don't have game mode turned on, what is the lag like? In between?

You can have AMP off at any time. In game mode I believe it is automatically off. I have not tested the lag (not a gamer) that's why I said I wasn't sure about the second part.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post

I have the 46a650 and mine didn't come with stickers. Everything else seemed intact when i opened it. I got mine from amazon btw. The only sticker I got was the plastic stuck to the bottom of the base that came off. Should I call and exchange it or is it common that most tvs don't come with stickers?

hmm, interesting. maybe only us Canadians got the sticker then. mine definitely had a sticker on it, saying the main features of the TV etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

hmm, interesting. maybe only us Canadians got the sticker then. mine definitely had a sticker on it, saying the main features of the TV etc.

I'm not Canadian and had one.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Depends on the individual, the lag has minimum to no effect on some people, but more effect on others. I, personally, have no issues with playing even Guitar Hero III and golf games in non-Game Mode with AMP on.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

I am in canada and when i received my 750. I did not have that sticker on the LCD detailing its features.

SB
Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Let me make sure I have this: Someone got a TV that works perfectly but which did not come with that sticker on the side that lists all the features. Because they didn't get that sticker, they seriously considered returning or exchanging their TV, in hopes that they would get one with the sticker.

My set didn't have that sticker. It was in the factory packaging when it was delivered to my house, and there was no sticker. I thought I was 100% happy with my purchase, but now, I dunno, I'm reconsidering...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldVinyl View Post

Let me make sure I have this: Someone got a TV that works perfectly but which did not come with that sticker on the side that lists all the features. Because they didn't get that sticker, they're seriously thinking about returning or exchanging their TV, in hopes that they will get one with the sticker. *rolls eyes*

My set didn't have that sticker. It was in the factory packaging when it was delivered to my house, and there was no sticker. I thought I was 100% happy with my purchase, but now, I dunno, I'm reconsidering...

He didn't say he was thinking of returning it, just curious about the missing sticker.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM

User said:
Quote:

Should I call and exchange it or is it common that most tvs don't come with stickers?

I suppose he might have thought he'd gotten a counterfeit or gray-market TV.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldVinyl View Post

User said:

Maybe he thought he'd gotten a counterfeit or gray-market TV.

You must be talking about someone different than me.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I'm not Canadian and had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusbreed View Post

I am in canada and when i received my 750. I did not have that sticker on the LCD detailing its features.

SB

well then, Samsung must have decided only to put stickers on some of their sets.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I have not tested the lag (not a gamer) that's why I said I wasn't sure about the second part.

Haha gotcha-- sorry I misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitt4ever View Post

Depends on the individual, the lag has minimum to no effect on some people, but more effect on others. I, personally, have no issues with playing even Guitar Hero III and golf games in non-Game Mode with AMP on.

So what I gather from the sum of everybody's replies is that it's purely up to relative taste, and I need to figure out some way to test a video game on this TV before buying. The only reason I care so much is that I bought a small 17" HDTV last year and the lag was horrendous. We're talking 300 or 400 milliseconds. That's more than annoying; it's unplayable.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A few pages back, I asked about filling up the width of my screen with a proper aspect-ratio image from a 16x9 non-anamorphic DVD. Turns out I had my DVD player still set to 4x3. Duh. So my player is now set to TV mode 16x9, and the 4x3 setting of the player is set to "normal." I've put a bunch of disks through it and it works just like it should. Nobody gets stretched, and the width of the screen is filled.

No need to thank me. JK.

Version #3: My (current) settings for Samsung LNxxA650
Let's make this clear: Calibration IS NOT synonymous with copying settings!
Join the Samsung LCD Owners Social Group! :)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I am using component cables red, blue and green! I triple checked the connections, still I have a blue tint or blue people. I'm sure it is a setting on the TV or the cable box but I'm not sure what? Anymore help is appreciated.

Try connecting it to another input. If that doesn't work try using regular RCA cables. If you do that just make sure that the connections match up.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You will be so much happier with the qulaity once you switch over. I mean the 650's do a good job upconverting SD DVD's but my HD-DVD's are so much better it is amazing. The PQ is absolutely stunning!! I have yet to get my BR PS3 player even though I have about 20 BR movies ready to go. LOL!

0_o

Whoops. I just realized you said "HD" and not "BR".

Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let's start getting real about how many of these are worth replacing. I stopped buying at VHS and never looked back. When I went to the video store, I wanted the new releases and never went to the "gallery" to rent something I had seen multiple times. So it is with any collectibles: 1 for a demonstration is plenty.

But if everyone felt my way, there would be no market for all those disks that will only be watched once.

BTW, one week into ownership and the picture is tremendous, virtually out of the box.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of the missing stickers, anyone ever thought that since they are added manually, by people, possibly someone on the assembly line forgot, just didn't bother or ran out?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCane View Post

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new TV and I'm really interested in buying a Sammy LN40A650. My only concern is how this set handles SD programming. Unfortunately, most of my programming is still SD so it's a big concern to me. I know that LCDs (in general) aren't very good when it comes to displaying SD programming but I know that some sets handle it better than others, so what does everyone think about the 650 (or at least what's the general concensus)? The other LCD set I'm looking at is the 550 series Samsungs - do they handle SD any better than the 650 series? Also, are there any pics of SD programming on the 650? I appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks

Can anybody give me some feedback on this?

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv