Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 658 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19711 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a proud and impressed owner of a new 650 46 inch. It looks great, but I can't get it to show that it's on 120hz. It always says 60hz. The only time it didn't is when I changed the Sammy 2550 player to 24frames then it says 24hz which makes sense. How do I get 120h and is there a way to input canadian postal codes instead of zip code. Does it matter what type of HDMI cable I'm using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Mazer View Post

I'm a proud and impressed owner of a new 650 46 inch. It looks great, but I can't get it to show that it's on 120hz. It always says 60hz. The only time it didn't is when I changed the Sammy 2550 player to 24frames then it says 24hz which makes sense. How do I get 120h and is there a way to input canadian postal codes instead of zip code. Does it matter what type of HDMI cable I'm using.

Well I'll admit I'm a complete newbie to HDTVs, but from what I understand the 60Hz that pops up on the screen is the output of the source(like your cable box) and I THINK(just assuming since I'm dumb on the matter) that the 60Hz source rate is refreshed at 120Hz(or 120 times/sec).

Then again, I would really wait for somebody more knowledgable on the matter to answer your question before taking my statement credibly.
post #19713 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat View Post

Well I'll admit I'm a complete newbie to HDTVs, but from what I understand the 60Hz that pops up on the screen is the output of the source(like your cable box) and I THINK(just assuming since I'm dumb on the matter) that the 60Hz source rate is refreshed at 120Hz(or 120 times/sec).

Then again, I would really wait for somebody more knowledgable on the matter to answer your question before taking my statement credibly.

Correct.
post #19714 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM

OK, I got my new LN46A650 a few days ago, but haven't had much time to watch it as we were getting ready for the holiday. I finally had a chance to watch a couple of HD movies from Comcast On Demand. The motion is noticeably "jerky". I had the AMP on several settings, including "off" and the effect doesn't go away. Has anyone else had this experience and are there optimal settings to reduce the jerkiness? Regular HD broadcast movies don't seem to have this effect. I'm still at least months away from getting a Blu-Ray because of what this baby set me back. It certainly would be nice to fix this problem with "On Demand" HD movies.

This thread seems to have a ton of good information, but 658 pages is a bit cumbersome to rifle thru to find the right info, even using the search function.
post #19715 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder View Post

Just Scan is not for PC only. It is primarily for DVD/Blu-Ray over HDMI.
It can be applied to other sources, as well such as STB, or OTA, but in some cases it's not ideal due to the TV source transmission, which can cause interference along the top, or left side of the pix.

Generally speaking I use 16:9 for D* (I never had a cable STB on my 650).
When your STB is set up correctly, 16:9 on the 650 will give you the correct Aspect Ratio for broadcast TV sources.

I was an owner of a 46a550 before switching over to the 650. over in the 550 thread there was a discussion over the yellow bars when using just scan on SD content (I don't know why you would do this, but people did). Someone contacted samsung and asked about the just scan setting. and from the manufacturer they were told that the just scan setting is primarily used for PC input over hdmi. this is where you wouldn't want any cut off.

the manual says for any input over hdmi 720p,1080i,1080p at 60hz. so yes you can use it for various other sources. I have tried just scan on gaming and fail, you get some poor edges on some games. same goes fo HDTV content, some looks ok where some others you get the colored edge bars.

Granted so far blu ray has looked fine with this setting for me, tho I have only tried a few movies this way.

The tv over scans as it should to cut off any terrible looking edges. it does not over scan like a crt would tho and is very minimal.

For what its worth there is really no need for just scan, unless you are using the tv to display from your pc.
post #19716 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK EH View Post

Ours came with the plastic stuck to the bezel. Also, the same covered the TV's oval stand.

A factory process is a factory process.
Did you have 2 quick-release plastic/nylon straps that tied the main upper box to the lower tray box the TV sat in, too?

Thus, how do you know what a yokel does if you are not there?

I had the foamy plastic sheet stuff covering the TV and Stand, I had hard foam. I had the 2 quick release guys and 2 heavy duty straps holding it all together. All the extras were packed perfectly. The remote was in it's plastic. The batteries were in theirs. There's no way this was a Circuit City store return. Just no way.

I just think that the guys at the factory either forgot to slap the plastic on the screen or they ran out of it that day.

Either way, the TV is amazingly gorgeous.
post #19717 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknack416 View Post

I just got a new 40 inch series 650 and i have a question if I have the latest firmware. My TV has a manufacture date of 12/08. The firmware info is:

MODULE: T-AMBAUSC-2008.9, DATE:PANEL; 40A V2, MICOM: T-AMBAUSM-1005
RFS: T-AMBAUSC-20080416, 2008-10-15

Can some one interpret that for me? The web site says the latest version is 2007 but that number does not appear above. Should I update if I want the latest version? Why wouldn't I have the latest version now if my set was manufactured after version 2007 was posted? Thanks.

You have firmware version 2008.9, which others are posting about as well. It's newer, and it's not even on Samsung's website yet. I don't know what the difference is between 2008 and 2007. I have 2004 on my TV, which was built in late August. I haven't updated my firmware since everything seems to be working fine.
post #19718 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsonln View Post

OK, I got my new LN46A650 a few days ago, but haven't had much time to watch it as we were getting ready for the holiday. I finally had a chance to watch a couple of HD movies from Comcast On Demand. The motion is noticeably "jerky". I had the AMP on several settings, including "off" and the effect doesn't go away. Has anyone else had this experience and are there optimal settings to reduce the jerkiness? Regular HD broadcast movies don't seem to have this effect. I'm still at least months away from getting a Blu-Ray because of what this baby set me back. It certainly would be nice to fix this problem with "On Demand" HD movies.

This thread seems to have a ton of good information, but 658 pages is a bit cumbersome to rifle thru to find the right info, even using the search function.

It seems to be a handshaking issue. I have comcast does the same thing. It's almost always jerky. It gets really annoying. People have said switching to component cables fixes the problem I haven't tried that solution though.

SNSGUY
post #19719 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

Can someone tell me where the judder settings are in the service menu I can't seem to find them. I've tried searching the thread an no go for the info. Thanks.

SNSGUY

Anyone know the answer to this?

SNSGUY
post #19720 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Well obviously I already know that. What good does that do? People were wondering if it could be turned off and not just by pressing the info button every time. I only have the issues when watching my BR's and it changes between 24hz and 60hz. Not a big deal.

'scuse me
post #19721 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 View Post

here are some pictures...any ideas of what the hell this dot is? There are two if you look carefully, the bigger one towards the left and the small one towards the right (neither noticeable from where you sit, and impossible to see with something actually playing on the screen)

this is clouding with standard backlight 10

this is clouding with movie mode backlight 10 (this looks really bad lol)

edit: i had more pictures of that mysterious dot, but i cant upload them on imageshack for some reason.

hopefully when i actually have more time to use it the clouding/lights will dissipate, but if they dont...i kind of dont care because its hard to notice them, and the other two (ln40a650) sets i had were worse, and i kind of realize i'll get this on any lcd.

how do i have the 2007 firmware and not the 2008 firmware and i just got the set? it was made in september...wtf?

anyone have any insight into any of this? especially that little dot.

should i be worried that i got a unit that doesnt have the newest firmware and was manufactured in september?
post #19722 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:

should i be worried that i got a unit that doesnt have the newest firmware and was manufactured in september?

1: I see no dot to be honest.
the first pick with dark area's in the corners on the light screen isn't too bad. it's really hard to see what's going on in the other pics.

try watching a show about antartica or something, do the clouds overlay the picture with a yellow to brownish color? can you see the picture moving behind this clouding?
if so take it back.

actually looking at your pic again this seems more like uneven back lighting. clouds from what I take on the term and what I had on a previous lcd, is where you can get transparent dark areas of the screen, but you can see through them to the action behind. like a foggy section ya know.

2: I picked up my tv 1 week ago from best buy and I have 2004.? firmware. and I am not updating it. so don't worry about your firmware version, its not an early version.

only update if you have a known problem that is going to fix it. plus 2007 is the latest you can download at this time.

firmware will not fix your clouding issues, that is your panel.

does your panel have light bleeding in the corners? when displaying a black screen it would look like mini spot lights or flashlights shining from the corners.

what panel version do you have? on the back of your set is a sticker with the model number then a space and then a letter. this letter is your panel version. it may not mean much i'm just curious.
post #19723 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

It seems to be a handshaking issue. I have comcast does the same thing. It's almost always jerky. It gets really annoying. People have said switching to component cables fixes the problem I haven't tried that solution though.

SNSGUY

I'm using component with Comcast and I find HBO HD and a lot of other HD content to be jerky. But AMP Low smoothes it out, with varying levels of soap opera effect of course.
post #19724 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM

First time poster here. I bought the 650 today. How does the red frame around the screen light up? Or does it? I have searched this and have had no luck finding an ansewer.
post #19725 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake6509 View Post

First time poster here. I bought the 650 today. How does the red frame around the screen light up? Or does it? I have searched this and have had no luck finding an ansewer.

it does not light up, it just shines more with direct light. I hardly see the red actually.

the 850 has a light at the bottom that partially lights up the frame, I think it can be turned off if you want.
post #19726 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

So should i get this for a bedroom LCD?

it will be replacing a 4081F that broke due to crazy ex
post #19727 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake6509 View Post

It doesn't light up, it's just dyed Acrylic, and in my room I don't even see it, I'm disappointed, I guess I don't have bright enough lighting, the whole TV's bezel looks black to me, I do have an A750 which has red on the sides too, I don't see any of it.
post #19728 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew5150 View Post

1: I see no dot to be honest.
the first pick with dark area's in the corners on the light screen isn't too bad. it's really hard to see what's going on in the other pics.

try watching a show about antartica or something, do the clouds overlay the picture with a yellow to brownish color? can you see the picture moving behind this clouding?
if so take it back.

actually looking at your pic again this seems more like uneven back lighting. clouds from what I take on the term and what I had on a previous lcd, is where you can get transparent dark areas of the screen, but you can see through them to the action behind. like a foggy section ya know.

2: I picked up my tv 1 week ago from best buy and I have 2004.? firmware. and I am not updating it. so don't worry about your firmware version, its not an early version.

only update if you have a known problem that is going to fix it. plus 2007 is the latest you can download at this time.

firmware will not fix your clouding issues, that is your panel.

does your panel have light bleeding in the corners? when displaying a black screen it would look like mini spot lights or flashlights shining from the corners.

what panel version do you have? on the back of your set is a sticker with the model number then a space and then a letter. this letter is your panel version. it may not mean much i'm just curious.

The dot is towards the left side, and the smaller one towards the right. The letter is S. There is slight flashlighting in the corners. I'll try to get additional pictures of both of them.
post #19729 of 23512 Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 PM
mgp

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Mazer View Post

Info is reporting the Source freq. The native update rate of the panel is 120Hz.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #19730 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I REALLY want a TOC 22A650. Prob is, it's still in the usd$400 range. I can get a similarly appointed LG anytime for $100 less.

Comeon, any1 seen any deals on the Samsung?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #19731 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

I'm using component with Comcast and I find HBO HD and a lot of other HD content to be jerky. But AMP Low smoothes it out, with varying levels of soap opera effect of course.

Ya he soap opera effect is what bothers me I'm trying to figure out where to go in the service menu to change the judder settings to see if my own setting would work better for me.

SNSGUY
post #19732 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

here is another image of the dot. There is a similar one that is a quarter or so the size to the right a few inches. they look like dead pixels, but i dont think they are...it looks like something else. odd.

heres an image of backlight 10 standard mode. should i be concerned or is this not bad? it doesnt actually look this bad though, i dont think. movie mode backlight 10 is the worse by far.

only the light in the top right and sometimes left corner annoy me.
post #19733 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

here is another image of the dot. There is a similar one that is a quarter or so the size to the right a few inches. they look like dead pixels, but i dont think they are...it looks like something else. odd.

heres an image of backlight 10 standard mode. should i be concerned or is this not bad? it doesnt actually look this bad though, i dont think. movie mode backlight 10 is the worse by far.

only the light in the top right and sometimes left corner annoy me.

I don't understand why you want to crank the backlight all the way up to 10 and then try to determine whether it's bad or not? If you set the backlight to max, I don't care what model or manufacture of LCD you get, you would see all kind of weird stuff.

Go 24
post #19734 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

I don't understand why you want to crank the backlight all the way up to 10 and then try to determine whether it's bad or not? If you set the backlight to max, I don't care what model or manufacture of LCD you get, you would see all kind of weird stuff.

Some people like it bright plus it may be in a very well lit room. The TV was designed to be able to increase the backlight to 10 so I feel you should have the option to turn it up that high and still have a good, uniformed and unflawed picture. I like mine turned up pretty high and have some minor issues with backlight bleeding but when I turn my other Samsung LCD (4065F) up to 10 there is still zero bleeding. IMO it is Samsung QC that has gone downhill. I still love the PQ on my 650 though.
post #19735 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Some people like it bright plus it may be in a very well lit room. The TV was designed to be able to increase the backlight to 10 so I feel you should have the option to turn it up that high and still have a good, uniformed and unflawed picture. I like mine turned up pretty high and have some minor issues with backlight bleeding but when I turn my other Samsung LCD (4065F) up to 10 there is still zero bleeding. IMO it is Samsung QC that has gone downhill. I still love the PQ on my 650 though.

It's not JUST Samsung that has this issue, it's just about everyone, Sony has major Flashlighting and Clouding issues as well, LG also.

Even my $3000 24" iMac has flashlighting on it's LG panel.

This is LCD technology.
post #19736 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline View Post

It's not JUST Samsung that has this issue, it's just about everyone, Sony has major Flashlighting and Clouding issues as well, LG also.

Even my $3000 24" iMac has flashlighting on it's LG panel.

This is LCD technology.

Yeah, I know it's inherent with LCD technology. It just seems like some people report no bleeding and my older model doesn't have the issue. I guess it just sucks that they can get it right on some but not on others. Oh well! Don't get me wrong, I'm still verry happy with my 650.
post #19737 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 AM

My parent's LN46A650 randomly drops out from 16:9 to 4:3 while watching tv - typically cable (Comcast in case it matters). It seems to happen every 1/2 hour or hour, often a few times during a movie (OnDemand). Anyone else experience this and know what the cause is? The TV is connected via HDMI to the cable box.
post #19738 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Does the Samsung LNxxA6x0 models support HDMI or optical 5.1 audio passthrough? For that matter, does any of the current Samsung LCDs offer this, and which ones?

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #19739 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbius View Post

My parent's LN46A650 randomly drops out from 16:9 to 4:3 while watching tv - typically cable (Comcast in case it matters). It seems to happen every 1/2 hour or hour, often a few times during a movie (OnDemand). Anyone else experience this and know what the cause is? The TV is connected via HDMI to the cable box.

Try switching to component cables and see if it still does it.

Also, what cables box do you have? Motorola or SA?

BD=870

post #19740 of 23512 Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM

i felt bad getting ln52a650.
i should have gotten a750 instead.
i really need wiselink usb for movies. it say it support avi/mp4 up to (1920x1080 ).
is there any other way for an a650 to play movie? maybe swapping out a daughter card inside the tv for this feature? if i have an a750, i would not have to buy wdtv media player (doesn't support 1920x1080 ) for $99.
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page