Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 685 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20521 of 23507 Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I just bought a 46A650. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the panel lottery thing is a real issue still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 23507 Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

Hey guys I just bought a 46A650. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the panel lottery thing is a real issue still?

Are you referring to the S, A, and C panel stuff? If so, don't buy into that too much. Just evaluate yours when you get it and if it has flaws you can't live with, return it.
post #20523 of 23507 Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim5 View Post

My question is: Is it possible to get a unit that does not have any dead pixels? Or am I just being a little to critical?
Should I wait a couple of days to see if the pixels become active?

To me, they just look crooked. I'm betting if you're looking at the screen without a magnifying glass, you can't even see it.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #20524 of 23507 Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
mgp

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

Thanks for the answers. I had read Samsung removed the wheel on an updated remote. Guess you can't believe everything you hear on the internet.

I don't know why it would take so long, or be so hard to include the AMP in the "tools" menu. Just have to wait and hope it will be soon, if ever.

Thanks again.

I had one of the new remotes briefly(took back a 52 for a 46) and while the red ring behaved like the wheel, it did not spin like the old one does.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #20525 of 23507 Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Last week i ordered a new Samsung LN46A650 from Best Buy.com, they only had 1 available at my local store so i grabbed it. Sunday i went to pick it up and much to my amazement it was on sale for $1449 which was $350 off the online price i had planned on paying. NICE !!
Today i spent the entire day setting this baby up and included a new tv stand, speaker stands, mounted center channel above tv and ran baseboard wire molding to hid cables. I have this Samsung hooked up to DirecTV and my other components include a XBOX360 w/ HD-DVD drive, Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, Toshiba HD-XA2 player, Klipsch surrounds and sub, Paradigm center channel speaker.
I am so pleased with the tv so far and cannot believe the amazing picture, i can't wait to get a Blu-Ray player and see the picture in 1080P .. i know my HD-DVD movies in 1080i are amazing to say the least.

LL
post #20526 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 AM

Can someone tell me if the A650 is the US model for the A656 in EU ?

Edit: Or would it be the A676 ?
post #20527 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

To me, they just look crooked. I'm betting if you're looking at the screen without a magnifying glass, you can't even see it.

On an all white screen via a jpeg from a usb thumb drive, I can see the "spot" from about 6 feet away. However, it is only about an inch from the right frame and maybe four inches up from the bottom. When watching video, I can only see it occasionally while viewing from 3 to 4 feet away, any further and I have not been able to see it.

I think if I can teach myself to forget that it is there, I will never see it during normal viewing.

Now, since my last post I have been able to check for flash lighting and clouding in a dark room. I noticed slight clouding on a black screen from usb-jpeg with the picture set on dynamic, and also some mild flash lighting in both top corners. Is this normal? I can't seem to find how to adjust the back light while displaying a picture from the usb port. There is the ability to select the picture mode, but none of the fine tunning properties. Is the back light perhaps at 10 while viewing from the usb and causing the FL and clouding?

-Steve
post #20528 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM

Just got my LN52a650 last night, I love the look, however the biggest reason I got this TV is that I like the look AMP gives, however when I turn it on low,medium or high, tons of blue pixels show up everwhere especially where there are blacks and dark colors. Anyone else see this or did I just get a lemon. Once AMP is off there is none of thie blue "noise".
post #20529 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADD40 View Post

Last week i ordered a new Samsung LN46A650 from Best Buy.com, they only had 1 available at my local store so i grabbed it. Sunday i went to pick it up and much to my amazement it was on sale for $1449 which was $350 off the online price i had planned on paying. NICE !!
Today i spent the entire day setting this baby up and included a new tv stand, speaker stands, mounted center channel above tv and ran baseboard wire molding to hid cables. I have this Samsung hooked up to DirecTV and my other components include a XBOX360 w/ HD-DVD drive, Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, Toshiba HD-XA2 player, Klipsch surrounds and sub, Paradigm center channel speaker.
I am so pleased with the tv so far and cannot believe the amazing picture, i can't wait to get a Blu-Ray player and see the picture in 1080P .. i know my HD-DVD movies in 1080i are amazing to say the least.

Very nice!

If you want to see some 1080P now, DirecTV has quite a few trailers you can download for free.
post #20530 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM

I just received my Samsung 52A650, and I will be hooking up my Dishnetwork HD 622, an XBOX 360, an audio receiver that has HDMI and Components that upscales to 1080p, and a Sony DVD player with components. I have read several ways to hook it up, but I am still not sure. My 360 does not have HDMI, only component. Should I run all 3 of these thru my stereo receiver or should I hook up all 3 directly to the TV and run Optical cable to the stereo receiver? I did not know if running thru my stereo receiver would degrade the picture any. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
post #20531 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there any audio lag issues with optical audio and HDMI from a HR20 (Directv) to the TV and a receiver, respectfully?
post #20532 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl5415 View Post

I just received my Samsung 52A650, and I will be hooking up my Dishnetwork HD 622, an XBOX 360, an audio receiver that has HDMI and Components that upscales to 1080p, and a Sony DVD player with components. I have read several ways to hook it up, but I am still not sure. My 360 does not have HDMI, only component. Should I run all 3 of these thru my stereo receiver or should I hook up all 3 directly to the TV and run Optical cable to the stereo receiver? I did not know if running thru my stereo receiver would degrade the picture any. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

I believe the answer has a lot to do with the quality of your receiver & whether or not it acts as an a/v switcher or not. But with that said, this is how I do mine. I have a Yamaha RX-V661 a/v receiver, a Dish Vip211k HD STB & a Panasonic BD player. I run both the SAT STB & BD player via HDMI into my Yamaha & then one (1) HDMI out from the Yamaha to my 650. There's no degradation at all with mine although my 661 is pass-through only & doesn't upscale, so I don't know if that would have any affect or not. I don't believe it would, however assuming you have a good quality receiver.
I prefer this method because I don't like optical vs. HDMI & it also eliminates some extra cabling, i.e, only (1) HDMI cable into my TV as well as the elimination of optical. As to the XBOX, I can't say as I don't have one, but since it doesn't have HDMI, you would need component for it & I would suspect you would need optical from it to your receiver. So in your case you would still be eliminating a HDMI cable to your TV, but at least that's one less cable. Hope some of this helps.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #20533 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 AM

Is there a way with the remote to go straight to favorite channels rather than pressing channel-list, left, down, right?
post #20534 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

Is there any audio lag issues with optical audio and HDMI from a HR20 (Directv) to the TV and a receiver, respectfully?

Didn't notice any when I watched 24, but that was on a HR22-100.
post #20535 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADD40 View Post

WOW .. i fixed my problem !! all i did was re-boot my Time Warner HD box ( ScientificAtlant 8300 ) and the shaking picture problem is gone. I was all bummed thinking i had a major issue on my new tv.

Going to do some calibrating later today, i have done some very minor tweaking and looks good so far.

Do most LN46A650 owners keep AMP turned "off" or what setting do you use and why? I was toggling between "off" "low" "medium" "high" and don't really know what difference i am even looking for. Someone told me to keep it "off" or on "low" and maybe during sports turn it on "high" ?? someone please explain this to me as i am a newbee.

Thanks so much everyone

I work in HD post production mastering, so I see a lot of HD movies that we master for Blu ray and streaming. I am a fan of the true 24 frame look that movies have to them (the way they look in theaters). I don't like to use the AMP much for movies, but for XBOX 360 it is great! The AMP makes the motion look smoother almost like you are looking at video instead of film. It also induces many artifacts especially during scene cuts and high motion. It is definitely cool-looking, but I always end up turning it off (or LOW for some things)
post #20536 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Didn't notice any when I watched 24, but that was on a HR22-100.

There have been audio lag issues reported with regards to a small number of DirecTv's HR-22 and 23 HD DVR receivers. This is a source issue that some who have those HD DVR recievers have experienced, and has nothing to do with its interface with your A-630/650. If you are experiencing audio lag with that DVR receiver type it is recommended you contact DirecTV. There also have been lag issues reported with some HR-20's and Hr-21's when channeled through a seperate audio receiver before TV interface. These are rare and again source related.
post #20537 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Gib

I got my LN46A650 a month ago. I find the picture to be fantastic when viewing directly from the center position, but even moving 10 degrees off center I immediately notice it start to look washed out - like the whole thing has a light haze over it. Now it is not extreme by any means but definitely noticeable. I am used to a Pioneer Elite rear project CRT which has a worse viewing angle but gets darker off angle rather than lighter like the Sammy. I find the lighter more distracting.

I have searched and read through this and many other forums and reviews and have found some mention of this, but not as much as I would expect based on my experience. Maybe others are not as sensitive to it as I am, but I am trying to determine if there is a problem with my TV or if everyone has a certain amount of loss of contrast when viewing off axis.

I checked it out in Circuit City and it seemed to have less of an issue with off center viewing, but with the wall of TVs and lighting in the store I don't think it is a valid test.
post #20538 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryerse View Post

Is there a way with the remote to go straight to favorite channels rather than pressing channel-list, left, down, right?

Yes, once you set your favorite channels you just press the favorite channel button on the remote to scroll through your favorites.
post #20539 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM

[quote=cl5415;15611590]I just received my Samsung 52A650, and I will be hooking up my Dishnetwork HD 622, an XBOX 360, an audio receiver that has HDMI and Components that upscales to 1080p, and a Sony DVD player with components. I have read several ways to hook it up, but I am still not sure. My 360 does not have HDMI, only component. Should I run all 3 of these thru my stereo receiver or should I hook up all 3 directly to the TV and run Optical cable to the stereo receiver? I did not know if running thru my stereo receiver would degrade the picture any. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Scott, I have DirecTV & XBOX360 connected to my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver. I have the XBOX#^) without the HDMI so i am running component cables to the receiver, HDMI from blu-ray & DirecTV and then 1 HDMI out of receiver to TV. I am using the optical digital cable from the XBOX360 to receiver and have had no issues and the sound is great !
I'm no expert so i can't say if the picture would be degraded any by running the HDMI through receiver then to the TV .. all i know is my Samsung looks fabulous and i haven't even tried bypassing the receiver.

My thought would be this .. if you have an HDMI "out" on the back of your receiver then connect your components (xbox. dvd etc.) to receiver and then use your HDMI "out" to the TV.
post #20540 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM

I have 650 46 inch and the last two nights the sound on channel 29 dropped out, when I hit channel down and then back up to 29 again the sound is back. any idea's on what could cause this ?
I also had a problem with the blue ray player 1500 getting a message on screen saying mode not supported when watching a standard dvd and not blu ray. I called samsung support and the guy said it sounded like a bad hdmi cable, so I changed it and have had no issue with that again.
I have had this tv for 2 weeks and am concerned about these problems, should I possibly be consideri9ng taking it back and getting another brand like sony xbr 5 ?
I just cannot afford to be stuck with a buggy 1600.00 dollar tv.

thank you for any help or advice
post #20541 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmike View Post

There have been audio lag issues reported with regards to a small number of DirecTv's HR-22 and 23 HD DVR receivers. This is a source issue that some who have those HD DVR recievers have experienced, and has nothing to do with its interface with your A-630/650. If you are experiencing audio lag with that DVR receiver type it is recommended you contact DirecTV. There also have been lag issues reported with some HR-20's and Hr-21's when channeled through a seperate audio receiver before TV interface. These are rare and again source related.

I got that lag when I listen to sound on my theater system. It a little bit annoying.
post #20542 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I've been reading posts all night regarding the 650 series and honestly I'm not sure now I want to switch from my DLP. Seems every other post is problems with Flashlighting, Clouding or audio glitches. I spent the last two days looking at LCDs in my local stores and the 46A650 followed by the 46A550 were the best looking sets, now researching them has depressed me here. I "thought" LCD technology would have been pretty much perfected by now but it seems it has not.. Does everyone with these models deal with clouding and flashlighting effects??
post #20543 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I've been reading posts all night regarding the 650 series and honestly I'm not sure now I want to switch from my DLP. Seems every other post is problems with Flashlighting, Clouding or audio glitches. I spent the last two days looking at LCDs in my local stores and the 46A650 followed by the 46A550 were the best looking sets, now researching them has depressed me here. I "thought" LCD technology would have been pretty much perfected by now but it seems it has not.. Does everyone with these models deal with clouding and flashlighting effects??

Just remember a large number of people posting to these forums usually are here to address issues (or percieved issues) with their set; and not to boast about how great it is. I venture that there probably is not a product made that has an associated owner's forum that is not similar. That is why forums on products exist. I like many owners of this set have had absolutely no problem with clouding, flashlighting, audio issues or any the other various concerns you see posted. And some of those are blown out of proportion to the actual problem. Many of those issues (except clouding/flashlight) are source related and not the Samsung. I imagine that is by far the norm for experience for the majority. I have owned HDTV's for several years (Sony's). This Samsung by far is this best for the money and I have not been disappointed with any HDTV I have owned. In any event this is an excellent, highly rated HDTV, that is one of the most popular on the market in sales and reviews this last year. Just google "review of the Samsung LNxxA650" and you will find many reviews from CNET and others praising this HDTV.
post #20544 of 23507 Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM

With just about anything on the internet, if you try to look up what people say about it, you'll always find at least one person who believes there is something wrong with it.

Heck, you could give away crisp $100 bills and you'd probably have someone complain because theirs has a crease.

Anyway, I just bought the LN46A650 because it has been the TV I've heard the LEAST complaints about and I've heard many people talk about how much they love how it looks. I just hope (cross my fingers) that the Amazon Warehouse Deal open-box one I got for $858 shipped (!) isn't total crap. At least they offer full Amazon return policy on it.
post #20545 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfeust9 View Post

Can someone tell me if the A650 is the US model for the A656 in EU ?

Edit: Or would it be the A676 ?

If someone knows that would be great !
post #20546 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

This is an amazing tv. We need more PICS!!! please
post #20547 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfeust9 View Post

If someone knows that would be great !

Comparing the manual for the LE46A656 to the LN46A656, it looks like it is the same TV customized to the European environment. Besides the obvious power differences and PAL support, it appears to have slightly different connectors and special support for cable/direct TV in the EU environment. But the overall feature specs seem identical.
post #20548 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Thanks, indeed there is special TV tuner for HDTV in EU.
post #20549 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

As Mtnmike stated, most people are going to come to these forums to seek help with a problem (or perceived problem).

I have not had a single issue with my 650 to this point. I love it.
post #20550 of 23507 Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcstr View Post

I just hope (cross my fingers) that the Amazon Warehouse Deal open-box one I got for $858 shipped (!) isn't total crap. At least they offer full Amazon return policy on it.

Mtnmike Thanks for the reply, I guess your right. It just worried me seeing some people here have returned sets multiple times. You can always expect a few bad ones but for more then one person to return a set just to receive another with flashlighting and clouding kinda worries me.. If I do pull the trigger on one it will have to be through a dealer who absolutely accepts returns (BB, Sears or maybe Amazon).
Do you guys recommend getting the extended warranty on this set, if so through samsung or the dealer?

rkcstr that's a heck of a price but aren't you afraid it's a return due to flashlighting or clouding?? I just checked and there is only one open box left and it says it just the box exterior that is damaged and it's been resealed but the price is $1200.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page