Forum Jump: 

post #20611 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulaneDoc View Post

1. my set turns off, then back on, on occasion, on its own. I know this is a known problem! I have a bad headache and cannot go searching through this thread for the solution. firmware update? if so, can someone who is awesome give me step-by step instructions to get this fixed? will

2. When I set my XBox 360 to 1080p via HDMI, the TV starts having major issues, with crackling screen images and sound cutting in and out. switching to 1080i seems to fix the problem, most of the time. Also, there is major drop out issues when using Xbox 360 with component cables, no matter what res
olution is set on the game system.

no such problems have occurred when connecting the exact same xbox 360 with the exact same HDMI cable to 3 different HDTV's (sony, LG, magnavox)

3. Furthermore, when I connect the TV to 3 sources with 3 HDMI inputs (the ones on the back panel), if i choose the input (HDMI 3) for the DVD player) the seems TV gets confused because if i press "source" on the remote in an attempt to switch back to HDMI 2/DVI (satellite, in my case), the TV will NOT switch to this input, and the on screen display will show that it is cycling past this input everytime! It will NEVER allow me to return to HDMI 2/DVI! it is so bizarre! if i am to disconnect one or two of the HDMI inputs, things seem to be back to normal, and i'm able to switch back to the satellite input (HDMI 2/DVI)

Anyone, please tell me if these problems have been experienced by others, and if there is a solution, before I call circuit city warranty line

btw, because CC is going out of business, what will happen to my protection plan

extremely frustated with the above issues but otherwise loving this TV,

me

I'm far from an expert on these issues, but it clearly sounds like a call to Samsung would be in order.

As far as the spurious shutting off and on, I believe that problem was addressed by a firmware update a while back.

The skipped input problem sounds like a failure for the HDMI signal to properly sync. If the TV input doesn't see a strong enough signal (or if it's noisy or otherwise non-HDMI compliant), I believe the TV will automatically skip over it.

You might want to repost your message on the 'official' Samsung forum at Cnet.com: http://forums.cnet.com/5204-13973_10...ml?forumID=146
(And you might also want to scan the posts there for problems similar to yours, assuming your headache is better.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20612 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

I'm still waiting on my set, and I've read here and the manual. I can't figure out the difference between using 'Just Scan' & "16:9."

I'll only have a Directv HR20 & Panny 35k Blu-Ray connect.

Just Scan basically means the image is displayed as is. 16x9 forces the source signal to be 16x9. So if you're watching a source signal that is 4:3, 16x9 will force it to stretch across the screen. Just scan may result in white borders at the top and bottom of the screen, usually just the top because the signal is cropped wrong or off just a bit.

Hope that clears it up.
post #20613 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Does this set supports 576i/576p signal over any of the inputs?

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that it does not. But when I called Samsung's customer support, they informed me that it does. Has anybody tried sending a 576i/576p signal over any input (HDMI, component or composite) and did it work for you?

Thanks
post #20614 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox4sumit View Post

Does this set supports 576i/576p signal over any of the inputs?

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that it does not. But when I called Samsung's customer support, they informed me that it does. Has anybody tried sending a 576i/576p signal over any input (HDMI, component or composite) and did it work for you?

Thanks

Straight from the Samsung A650 site ...

PAL and PAL-M are also sometimes designated 576i (576 interlaced) because 576 of the 625 lines are actually visible on a PAL or PAL M TV set.

The television and video standard used in the United States is called NTSC. NTSC and PAL are incomcompatible. A NTSC TV will not work with PAL. A PAL TV will not work with NTSC.

All TVs that Samsung sells in the United States are NTSC compatible only. No Samsung television made for the US market is compatible with PAL. No TV made for the United States market can be converted to the PAL system.

As an ammendment th LAXXA650 (sold outside the US) supports both 576i/576p input dependant on connection type.
post #20615 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidoc View Post

Straight from the Samsung A650 site ...

PAL and PAL-M are also sometimes designated 576i (576 interlaced) because 576 of the 625 lines are actually visible on a PAL or PAL M TV set.

The television and video standard used in the United States is called NTSC. NTSC and PAL are incomcompatible. A NTSC TV will not work with PAL. A PAL TV will not work with NTSC.

All TVs that Samsung sells in the United States are NTSC compatible only. No Samsung television made for the US market is compatible with PAL. No TV made for the United States market can be converted to the PAL system.

As an ammendment th LAXXA650 (sold outside the US) supports both 576i/576p input dependant on connection type.

Thanks for the reply. I confirmed this using my Oppo dvd player to send PAL signal and sure enough, it does not work.

Too bad...Now I need to find me a PAL-to-NTSC converter.
post #20616 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradengelmann View Post

I don't understand why the price on this TV would fall much further than maybe the $1400 range. Samsung is still making it, according to this thread. Okay. Samsung is releasing new models in what, March? When will those actually ship? So what are we looking at here before there is a new SUPPLY of TVs? Seems to me at least three months.

I've decided on the 46A650 but probably won't buy it until next month for two reasons, my DLP probably won't be sold until then and secondly I feel prices will drop after the super bowl plus it seems Samsung has has had it's first quarterly loss in company history due to the state of the world's economy making me think it will drop prices to gain sales later this quarter,,,
post #20617 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar_ View Post

Just Scan basically means the image is displayed as is. 16x9 forces the source signal to be 16x9. So if you're watching a source signal that is 4:3, 16x9 will force it to stretch across the screen. Just scan may result in white borders at the top and bottom of the screen, usually just the top because the signal is cropped wrong or off just a bit.

Hope that clears it up.

what if you are using 16x9 and on one channel you get a small amount of flickering all the way across the top of the screen only ?

by small amount I mean just enough to see it, maybe 1/8th inch or so
post #20618 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

That's very reassuring, when you say isn't a problem do you also me reflections are also not a problem?? I was leaning towards the 630 because of the reflections issue. But I have to be honest the S panel lottery issue with the 630 has me a bit worried, also didn't realize the screen was so integral to the contrast improvement..

just wanted to ask if the S panel issue is also in the 650 46 inch model ?
post #20619 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

just wanted to ask if the S panel issue is also in the 650 46 inch model ?

All 650 and up models tend to be all S panels... 630 and below has been shown to be either a, c or s panels. Regardless if the difference of panels is really true or not.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #20620 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 06:01 PM

I returned my 650 to BB today for an exchange but they did not have one any at area store After getting a refund they said they will have more on Friday and it will be 100.00 less and still get the samsung blu-ray at 100.00 off the price, also get a certificate for 200.00 NFL gear and 36 months no interest as compared to 24 month no interest on the set I returned, making the new set an even better deal cost wise.

Their technicians checked the set out and found no apparent problem and felt it could be an intermittent problem that would be hard to resolve with out it happening when they have the set or it could have been a problem with the cable signal. But it did have a beautiful picture with no flashlights, no purple haze no glare problem and no halos. What are the chances of getting these problems with a new set, how common are they and how many of you have these problems ?
Can these problems be corrected if you have them ?

Is there any reason to fear not getting an S panel in a new ln46a650 or is the S panel thing not a concern with this model ? I don't know if the one I had was an S panel or not.

I don't mean to be a pain in your necks with all these questions, but I would sincerely appreciate any helpful answers.

Thank you
Bob
post #20621 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

"Just Scan" will display video as it's fed to the set. "16 x 9" forces everything to fill the screen (it will stretch 4x3).

I have mine set to 16 x 9 and it does NOT stretch 4 x 3 content.
post #20622 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Hello -
I just got a new Samsung a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. I bought a PS3 yesterday to along to with it. I set up the PS3 last night and one of the questions was would you like to change your system to 1080p? I accepted that. I know notice that my HD cable is not as crisp. Both are running through HDMI (Cable - HDMI 1, PS3 - HDMI 2) Is there a reason for this? Also, my tv was running/showing 120Hz before I made the changes and now is showing 60Hz. I have tried several things when it comes to calibrating the tv. I am pretty technically challenged, so any help would be appreciated.
post #20623 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeat33 View Post

I don't believe 16x9 will stretch 4x3. It slightly overscans when compared to Just Scan.
post #20624 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmohan View Post

Hello -
I just got a new Samsung a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. I bought a PS3 yesterday to along to with it. I set up the PS3 last night and one of the questions was would you like to change your system to 1080p? I accepted that. I know notice that my HD cable is not as crisp. Both are running through HDMI (Cable - HDMI 1, PS3 - HDMI 2) Is there a reason for this? Also, my tv was running/showing 120Hz before I made the changes and now is showing 60Hz. I have tried several things when it comes to calibrating the tv. I am pretty technically challenged, so any help would be appreciated.

The 60Hz showing on the input info box is what the source is providing. The panel itself always operates at 120Hz.

As far as your cable not being as crisp, you likely changed to a different mode with different picture settings?
post #20625 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

I returned my 650 to BB today for an exchange but they did not have one any at area store After getting a refund they said they will have more on Friday and it will be 100.00 less and still get the samsung blu-ray at 100.00 off the price, also get a certificate for 200.00 NFL gear and 36 months no interest as compared to 24 month no interest on the set I returned, making the new set an even better deal cost wise.

Their technicians checked the set out and found no apparent problem and felt it could be an intermittent problem that would be hard to resolve with out it happening when they have the set or it could have been a problem with the cable signal. But it did have a beautiful picture with no flashlights, no purple haze no glare problem and no halos. What are the chances of getting these problems with a new set, how common are they and how many of you have these problems ?
Can these problems be corrected if you have them ?

Is there any reason to fear not getting an S panel in a new ln46a650 or is the S panel thing not a concern with this model ? I don't know if the one I had was an S panel or not.

I don't mean to be a pain in your necks with all these questions, but I would sincerely appreciate any helpful answers.

Thank you
Bob

Chances are slim to none of getting one with the problem that you experienced. My money is still solid on your problem being source related. In otherwords your cable provider, cable related or your HD set top box (if you are using one). Probably a better chance of getting a new one with clouding or flashlight although that also is slim. I guess you'll know for sure its source related if it happens with another set.
post #20626 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmohan View Post

Hello -

Your 60 hz question has literally been asked and answered dozens of times in this forum. Use the search AVS bar or "Search" tab and "search forums option" above and you'll find out why it shows 60 hz. Just type in something like "A650 shows 60hz". You might be surprised how many questions you might have about your set can be found using the search feature here which has now well over 7,000 posts to this thread. There aren't many questions left to be asked here that have not already been answered time and time again.
post #20627 of 23507 Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM

I've been reading this thread and been wanting to pull the trigger on this set for a while now.I think I'm finally going to get the TV.I'm going out Sunday to do a little shopping and negotiation.I've made up my mind on this set,did any of you guys go with the 3yrs warranty whats your thoughts on the ex warranty?

Your audio room is only limited by the amount of money in your wallet.
post #20628 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have been trying to choose between the 52" 650 and 850. BB has the 650 for ~1900 and the wife gave me the go ahead. I just wish they had the 850 on sale a little closer to 2200 or so. I know there's not a ton of fetatures the 850 has over the 650 but I can see paying about 300 more for them.

Decisions, decisions.
post #20629 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeat33 View Post

Is your source passing SD as SD?

For example, I have my DirecTV HR-22 set to "native" with all resolutions checked. This will cause it to pass SD channels in 4x3 (ex: channel 309).

When watching this channel, my picture size choices are 4:3, 16:9, Zoom1 and Zoom2. If I select 4:3, the programming is shown in its native 4:3 aspect ratio. If I select 16:9, it will stretch the picture to fill the screen (making everyone look short and wide )
post #20630 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the USA Today section (top left of screen) when using InfoLink? What I would like to is display Weather, News when you press the InfoLink remote button, but the USA Today bar always displays when the weather, news, stock info is displayed.
post #20631 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Help with Timer's Activate On - Does not have option to choose input source when television turns on, other than TV/USB

I've been trying to use the Timer's activate on in the Setup's Time menu. There is no option to have it automatically select any of the HDMI sources when the set turns on. This seems to make the feature worthless, since most buyers of these probably use an HDMI input source. Am I overlooking something, or is this in fact a worthless feature for HDMI users? I sometimes like using my television as an alarm clock to wake me up. My cable box has this and it works, unfortunately it doesn't turn my tv on with it.

Source Auto Detect?
Another question. Isn't this model supposed to automatically detect and switch to an active input source? Example, if I turn my Xbox360 off, I would expect the tv to automatically detect and switch to HDMI 1 if that is the only other active source. But it does not do this. My Samsung Syncmaster that I use with my PC does automatically detect and a source, so I would hope these TVs would too.

Thanks for any input on these questions.
post #20632 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

No auto-detect, Source will always be last one used.
post #20633 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen24 View Post

I've connected a home theater system to my TV with the optic cable but I'm not sure how to get sound to come from the speakers instead of the TV. Anyone with help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

turn down the tv volume and turn up the receiver volume?

whatever you plugged the optical input should be selected on your HTIB system for source...

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #20634 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 AM

I have finally entered the HD World!!

Purchased the LN40A650 a few days back and so far I love it!!

This thread is amazing with LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of info and reading!!!!

I am still playing around and learning the ins and outs of the TV, so much more to it then I thought!

Hopefully I can pick up some tips in here!

Thanks!

DMP
post #20635 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

turn down the tv volume and turn up the receiver volume?

whatever you plugged the optical input should be selected on your HTIB system for source...

You can also configure the TV's speakers to be always off through the Setup menu.
post #20636 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
mgp

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty93 View Post

I've been reading this thread and been wanting to pull the trigger on this set for a while now.I think I'm finally going to get the TV.I'm going out Sunday to do a little shopping and negotiation.I've made up my mind on this set,did any of you guys go with the 3yrs warranty whats your thoughts on the ex warranty?

Extended warranty is like insurance. I personally would not buy a high dollar lcd or plasma without getting an extended warranty. One service call after the manufacturers warranty has expired will generally cost you more than the price of coverage.

Obviously it depends on perceived value. How much the coverage cost and the length of the coverage in relation to the price paid for the item.

Only you can determine if it's worth it to you.

Good luck and happy shopping...

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #20637 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvosays View Post

I had my tv for a week now with the new revised remote and already updated version(2008?) and everything seems to be working correctly. However, in certain 4:3 channels, I would get white static lines on top of the t.v. that looks like it could be the sizing of the channel? It feels like its not the tv's problem, but the cable channel because it only happened on my discovery channel and another channel. Anyone also have this problem? I am running a coax cable and these channels are on 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you are seeing white static lines just around the edges, it could be that you have your Picture Size to Just Scan. Just Scan causes the set to display all of the signal, even the part that is reserved for overscan in broadcasts. The overscan area can be used for control signals or just contain noise. If you change to 16:9, the overscan area is not displayed, you will see the picture as the broadcaster expected, and white lines or other edge artifacts should not be visible.
post #20638 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

I have been trying to choose between the 52" 650 and 850. BB has the 650 for ~1900 and the wife gave me the go ahead. I just wish they had the 850 on sale a little closer to 2200 or so. I know there's not a ton of fetatures the 850 has over the 650 but I can see paying about 300 more for them.

Decisions, decisions.

I have both sets, and love them both. You cannot go wrong with either.
post #20639 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox4sumit View Post

Thanks for the reply. I confirmed this using my Oppo dvd player to send PAL signal and sure enough, it does not work.

Too bad...Now I need to find me a PAL-to-NTSC converter.

I don't know if any of these will help you...

http://www.regionfreedvd.net/players.html
http://www.dvdbuyingguide.com/region...d-reviews.html
http://www.regionfreedvdplayers.com/
post #20640 of 23507 Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM

I have my onkyo receiver hooked up to HDMI2/DVI will this still provide the same level of PQ performance as HDMI1?

*Also, does AMP cause movement to look un-smooth? Or what exactly does AMP do? Because I currently have it on. What does everyone consider good calibration setting, when you have some flashlighting in a corner?

**I have an issue where if I try to use component connections on my Xbox 360 and watch TV shots like The Office in HD the video will cut out sporadically...anyone else having this issue?**

I think I should call Samsung about this and maybe the flashlighting, too.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page