post #20881 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

PC Mode is essentially the same as non-PC mode, except like the Color & Sharpness settings are grayed out I think.

Actually the point of someone liking the picture of pc mode or not varies person to person but fact is that no you can't get the same picture you can get while using custom settings.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20882 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmike View Post

You are spot on with your assessment. A large portion of the "compliants" reported in here are source related and have nothing to do with the TV. Some just cannot grasp the fact that their setup may be wrong; or their service provider's HD signal sucks; or they have bad cabling; or their set top HD box (receiver) is the culprit and the list goes on. It is easier to just blame the TV. Other reports are problems (real or percieved) that the vast majority of owners would never notice, let alone see as a problem, being reported by people who are looking for perfection when none exists.

Many have never owned a quality HDTV before, and don't understand that unlike the CRT's they have owned for years HDTV's are not simply plug and play. The problems they could not see on their old CRT from the same source are now magnified on an HDTV. They picture they see is very dependent on the equipment and setup involved in providing the PQ they experience.

Then there are those who get what they percieve as great picture watching one station (or input source), then change channels (or input source) and the picure is not as good sending them into panick and blaming the TV. Yes, believe it or not, there are no perfect products out there especially HDTV's regardless of what you pay. It is all in the eye of the beholder. Of course you will never convince them of that and they will be so fixated on it they will be miserable.

The number of people in here that continually return or exchange TV's only to find fault in their replacement is astounding. That trend populates not just this owners' thread, but owner threads covering everything from soup to nuts. It is simply the nature of the beast.

I picked up my 52A650 at Best Buy on 1 Oct and have loved it all along. I have tweaked it and tweaked it again over and over, I now feel its where we want it PQ wise. All sources are plugged into the TV via HDMI. There is no point in stating my settings as all tv's and viewers are different. I liked the 52 so well that I picked up a 32A450 for the bedroom and after 2 weeks have it where we love it also.
I was really surprised at how good the 32450 is with a dish 211 feeding it via HDMI. I also think the 32 sounds better with the same custom sound setup on both sets. Bottom line is we have no complaints at all on either set.
Both are great sets and if set up correctly will blow most other sets away.
GO FOR IT

Mike
post #20883 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM

I know its in the 697 pages here somewhere, but can someone please tell me what the final answer is/was on the power reset problem on the LNxxA650. Mine has not done it in the week since I bought it, but I was wondering if they ever found out what the problem was.

Thanks
post #20884 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM

The came to change my screen out last week. Got a bad new screen so they ordered another screen. Then a problem that i had thought was coming from my blu-ray player, maybe a certain setting or something, stars occurring on both my blu-ray source and the cable source. It had happened before I got the new screen so I thought it was the blu-ray player causing it bu obviously not. They only way to describe it is if you took a piece of glass or pllastic put it on some water that you dumped on the floor the slowly brought that piece of glass or plastic up and as it starts to unsuck the water makes it's way inward. That is what is happening on the screen from a dark grey to a black. I'm also noticing a lot more bleed through on the screen. I have the backlighting on6 which I had on the previous screen also. And it's almost never black it's more greyish. Sorry for the long update. I'm now waiting on a other screen and they are also bringing another board becuase they think that might be the problem also.

SNSGUY
post #20885 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Liked: 16
Could someone who has very recently ordered and received an LN46A650 from Amazon please report which version you received (i.e., from the sticker on the side of the set, e.g., "SX02"). Would really appreciate it.

Thanks very much in advance!
post #20886 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Hi.... I have a question if somebody can help with it.

I have 40" tv, i don't know if it's happening to other people or not but sometimes whenever i tried to change inputs. I have difficult time changing the inputs. It feels like the tv isn't reacting to the commands from the remote.

any suggestions.

Thanks
post #20887 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwheels View Post

I know its in the 697 pages here somewhere, but can someone please tell me what the final answer is/was on the power reset problem on the LNxxA650. Mine has not done it in the week since I bought it, but I was wondering if they ever found out what the problem was.

Thanks

Fixed via firmware upgrade long ago, think some time in March of last year.
post #20888 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

The came to change my screen out last week. Got a bad new screen so they ordered another screen. Then a problem that i had thought was coming from my blu-ray player, maybe a certain setting or something, stars occurring on both my blu-ray source and the cable source. It had happened before I got the new screen so I thought it was the blu-ray player causing it bu obviously not. They only way to describe it is if you took a piece of glass or pllastic put it on some water that you dumped on the floor the slowly brought that piece of glass or plastic up and as it starts to unsuck the water makes it's way inward. That is what is happening on the screen from a dark grey to a black. I'm also noticing a lot more bleed through on the screen. I have the backlighting on6 which I had on the previous screen also. And it's almost never black it's more greyish. Sorry for the long update. I'm now waiting on a other screen and they are also bringing another board becuase they think that might be the problem also.

SNSGUY

SNSGUY, I think I have the same problem you described with the glass and water. I posted a while ago about this but didn't get any answers, probably because it was hard to describe. I am getting my bezel replaced due to top corner separation. I wonder if that will make any difference with that issue and maybe help with flashlights. Let us know how you make out.
post #20889 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
A02

I just had to have my panel replaced... which went smooth, but I'm interested in knowing if the panel they put in was the correct one... I mean, how would I know? I just want to make sure it's not an inferior part. The part was:

BN07-00612A

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!
post #20890 of 23513 Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

SNSGUY, I think I have the same problem you described with the glass and water. I posted a while ago about this but didn't get any answers, probably because it was hard to describe. I am getting my bezel replaced due to top corner separation. I wonder if that will make any difference with that issue and maybe help with flashlights. Let us know how you make out.

I will update once they come and get it changed out. It's nice to know there is someone else experiencing this.

SNSGUY
post #20891 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A02 View Post

I just had to have my panel replaced... which went smooth, but I'm interested in knowing if the panel they put in was the correct one... I mean, how would I know? I just want to make sure it's not an inferior part. The part was:

BN07-00612A

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

That panel pulls up with a spec of LTF460HC01

I'm assuming you have a LN46A650 ? If so it should be spec LTF460HE01 and PN BN07-00530A you may want to call sammy and check if the two are interchangable with the same specs there may be differences, and I'm pulling the numbers straight from the service manual.
post #20892 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm receiving an LN40A650 from Amazon tomorrow, I'll read through the Calibration thread and the gaming lag thread as I'll mostly be using it for 360 gaming. Any other advice for a new user?

Any suggestions for a place to get the cable used to connect a PC to it, I searched D-sub cable on Amazon but I didn't get much.

Thanks.
post #20893 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamouth View Post

Hi Folks,
Any suggestions for a place to get the cable used to connect a PC to it, I searched D-sub cable on Amazon but I didn't get much.

Thanks.

Try Monoprice
post #20894 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Folks,

I'm receiving an LN40A650 from Amazon tomorrow, I'll read through the Calibration thread and the gaming lag thread as I'll mostly be using it for 360 gaming. Any other advice for a new user?

Thanks.

Does your 360 have HDMI?, if so that is the only cable you'll need.
post #20895 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

Does your 360 have HDMI?, if so that is the only cable you'll need.

Depends on how you want to connect the computer and what type of video card/ video outputs it has.

You might be able to use HDMI, since many newer cards have DVI>HDMI adapters.
Or you could use a DVI to HDMI cable.
Or just a standard VGA cable.

Monoprice should have all 3.
post #20896 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

My set came with 2008.9 firmware and the set I had to return had 2007 firmware. the one with 2007 had a very vibrant picture, lots of depth etc. and when AMP was on low it had a kind of soap ,oprea or 3-d look to it. This set with 2008.9 firmware has a more washed out picture and AMP doesn't change the picture at all. Are you other guys with 2008.9 experiencing this as well ? I would like to know if this set is this way because of the firmware version or has other issues with picture quality and AMP, possibly being stuck ?

How do you know if AMP is stuck ? I will appreciate any info you guys can give me.
post #20897 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
A02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidoc View Post

That panel pulls up with a spec of LTF460HC01

I'm assuming you have a LN46A650 ? If so it should be spec LTF460HE01 and PN BN07-00530A you may want to call sammy and check if the two are interchangable with the same specs there may be differences, and I'm pulling the numbers straight from the service manual.

Yup... after calling Samsung, their parts distributor, and Samsung again, they confirmed the service people installed an incorrect panel that was supposed to go on an older, discontinued model. I knew I saw a difference... even the wife thought stuff looked grainier... which says something...

Thanks for the quick repsonse Heli. Samsung was very surprised and apologetic... and the parts distributor made a point of noting the part they put in was $400 cheaper.
post #20898 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I just got a LN40a650a yesterday and got it setup OK. I currently have 3 HDMI inputs to the set with HDMI 1 coming from a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR STB (TWC Cable), HDMI 2 From a Sony s550 BluRay player, and HDMI 3 from a Roku DVP streaming box. I've got one problem that is driving me crazy and I'd appreciate any ideas.

The BluRay player and the Roku DVP are working perfectly but if I put the cale STB on any HDMI input, the picture is "jittery". That is, it jumps or "jitters" slightly vertically. This happens while watching any channel, and also is present when viewing the STB menu. The picture is rock steady with the BluRay player and the Roku DVP, as well as the set's internal menu display. I have another HDTV with a similar setup in my house and there is no jitter with that setup.

Given my symptoms, I think I have it narrowed down to the following possibilities:

1. Bad STB (I'm going to exchange it today).
2. Some sort of AC or RF interference on this particular cable run.

Any other ideas? Have I missed anything obvious? I'll put in a Samsung service call if necessary, but I want to eliminate any other ovious possibilities first.

Thanks!
post #20899 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM

SNSGUY.. check your PMs, i sent you one regarding bias lighting and flashlighting...
post #20900 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnClar View Post

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I just got a LN40a650a yesterday and got it setup OK. I currently have 3 HDMI inputs to the set with HDMI 1 coming from a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR STB (TWC Cable), HDMI 2 From a Sony s550 BluRay player, and HDMI 3 from a Roku DVP streaming box. I've got one problem that is driving me crazy and I'd appreciate any ideas.

The BluRay player and the Roku DVP are working perfectly but if I put the cale STB on any HDMI input, the picture is "jittery". That is, it jumps or "jitters" slightly vertically. This happens while watching any channel, and also is present when viewing the STB menu. The picture is rock steady with the BluRay player and the Roku DVP, as well as the set's internal menu display. I have another HDTV with a similar setup in my house and there is no jitter with that setup.

Given my symptoms, I think I have it narrowed down to the following possibilities:

Any other ideas? Have I missed anything obvious? I'll put in a Samsung service call if necessary, but I want to eliminate any other ovious possibilities first.

Thanks!

Did you try putting your STB on HDMI 2 or 3 since you say those are good with the other devices?
post #20901 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

AC or RF interference is a very very rare ocurence but it remains a remote possibility. See how things look with the new STB. Unplug your STB HDMI from port 1 and move your Blu Ray or Roku DVP to HDMI 1 and see if the PQ is what you have on HDMI 2 & 3. That should eliminate any possible input problem. If PQ holds with that check, then it is in all likelihood a source related issue.
post #20902 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM

Ya...I moved the STB from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2...still jittery. Moved BluRayPlayer from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 BluRay pic is steady. What I haven't tried yet tho is to change HDMI cables between the devices...might still be a bad HDMI cable. If changing the STB doesn't help I'll swap cables. If THAT doesn't help I'm at a loss. If it is a source problem, but not STB-related,then I would think I'd be getting jitter on my other HDTV when viewing cable input, which doesn't happen. Will update when I try the new STB. Thanks!
post #20903 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

My set came with 2008.9 firmware and the set I had to return had 2007 firmware. the one with 2007 had a very vibrant picture, lots of depth etc. and when AMP was on low it had a kind of soap ,oprea or 3-d look to it. This set with 2008.9 firmware has a more washed out picture and AMP doesn't change the picture at all. Are you other guys with 2008.9 experiencing this as well ? I would like to know if this set is this way because of the firmware version or has other issues with picture quality and AMP, possibly being stuck ?

How do you know if AMP is stuck ? I will appreciate any info you guys can give me.

I just received a 650 with 2008.9. I dont have any issues with AMP or the picture washing out. The best AMP workout I have seen so far is the scene in Band of Brothers where they destroy the gun emplacements (on the second DVD iirc), so if you have that DVD you might want to try that with AMP on Med or High. You should see considerable Soap Opera effect on that scene. The Spider Man 3 scene where they fight the giant sandman is also pretty good to demo AMP.

I had to increase the Gamma setting to +2 to get a good picture, and the color is still a little off but my new 650 looks pretty good otherwise. I think the default menu settings may be quite a bit different from other FW releases. What is the "Version" number (ie, SQ01, SS02, etc...) on the sticker on the side of your set?
post #20904 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker97 View Post

Did you try putting your STB on HDMI 2 or 3 since you say those are good with the other devices?

Quote:

Ya...I moved the STB from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2...still jittery. Moved BluRayPlayer from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 BluRay pic is steady. What I haven't tried yet tho is to change HDMI cables between the devices...might still be a bad HDMI cable. If changing the STB doesn't help I'll swap cables. If THAT doesn't help I'm at a loss. If it is a source problem, but not STB-related,then I would think I'd be getting jitter on my other HDTV when viewing cable input, which doesn't happen. Will update when I try the new STB. Thanks!

I have the same 8300HD.
Reset (reboot) your cable STB. I have had this happens twice since I bought my 650 in Nov. Each time I rebooted the STB and it resolved the issue.

The first time I called Comcast (I was hoping to just get a new STB!) and their support had me do this and it immediately resolved the issue.

Make sure you unplug it for 30 secs or so and then plug it back in. It will take a few minutes to come all the way back up.

Edit: If it doesn't resolve it, I would exchange the STB.
post #20905 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can't speak for 2008.9 FW since I have 2007, but I will say this. I was having a lot of difficulty with backlight bleeding (flashlighting) and had my panel replaced on my 52A650 about 2 weeks ago. This definately corrected my flashlighting issue, but I have noticed a definate difference in the AMP settings. Before it was very noticeable between off, low, med & high. Now it isn't! I cannot tell any difference at all between any of these settings. I cannot figure out why this would be since none of the electronics are in the panel, but this is definately the case. And I watched the tech very carefullly when he replaced the panel & he did not touch any of the boards, etc. so I know those weren't affected.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #20906 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnalli View Post

I just received a 650 with 2008.9. I dont have any issues with AMP or the picture washing out. The best AMP workout I have seen so far is the scene in Band of Brothers where they destroy the gun emplacements (on the second DVD iirc), so if you have that DVD you might want to try that with AMP on Med or High. You should see considerable Soap Opera effect on that scene. The Spider Man 3 scene where they fight the giant sandman is also pretty good to demo AMP.

I had to increase the Gamma setting to +2 to get a good picture, and the color is still a little off but my new 650 looks pretty good otherwise. I think the default menu settings may be quite a bit different from other FW releases. What is the "Version" number (ie, SQ01, SS02, etc...) on the sticker on the side of your set?

version number on the side of my set is SS04, what version do you have ?

I am not sure why you see the soap effect only when watching cetain parts of a movie, on my original ln46 a 650 I seen the soap effect as soon as I changed the setting and it was always there unless I turned AMP off again. Actually this isn't bad on the set I have now as I do not see any blurr with AMP off and do not see any soap effect even with AMP set on high.
When I say picture washed out I mean while watching the news , it seems the faces are a little pale. My first set has a more vibrant picture that was almost kind of 3-d looking. I was just curious as to why I don't see any change when I turn AMP on like I did with the first set ?
post #20907 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

bought a 40 inch 650 a week ago and starting to notice some slight flashlighting in the upper left and right corners.

how do i check which firmware i have?
post #20908 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

version number on the side of my set is SS04, what version do you have ?

I am not sure why you see the soap effect only when watching cetain parts of a movie, on my original ln46 a 650 I seen the soap effect as soon as I changed the setting and it was always there unless I turned AMP off again. Actually this isn't bad on the set I have now as I do not see any blurr with AMP off and do not see any soap effect even with AMP set on high.
When I say picture washed out I mean while watching the news , it seems the faces are a little pale. My first set has a more vibrant picture that was almost kind of 3-d looking. I was just curious as to why I don't see any change when I turn AMP on like I did with the first set ?

My version says SX06. I find that the AMP "Soap Opera" type effect is much more noticable in certain types of scenes than in others, so I was indicating a scene where I noticed it was extremely noticeable even with AMP set to low. If you can't see it at all on the same scene, I would guess there is possibly something misconfigured/miss-set in your service menu. I think there is some information in this or the Calibration thread on how to get into the service menu and what the AMP parameter defaults have been with prev. FW versions. I think when you say 'the picture is washed out' and I say 'the colors are off' we might be meaning the same thing. I'm not sure if this is due to the FW version or the panel itself. Did you try increasing the Gamma setting? Also the Default Dynamic+DNie default settings seem to be pretty vibrant. I will have to break out DVE tonight and see if I can improve on the color accuracy.
post #20909 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

Fixed via firmware upgrade long ago, think some time in March of last year.

Thanks!!!
post #20910 of 23513 Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions. I got a new STB and eveything is fine now. No jitter at all, the picture is steady as a rock...and man, what a great picture it is!!

Now I'm just waiting for the Samsung USB wireless adapter I ordered to show up so I can get the set hooked up to my home network. I assume that I'll be able to do firmware updates (if necessary) over wireless.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page