AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post

Hi,

I plan to get a new Samsung LCD soon, probably the LN46A650. My "old" Samsung has 2 RF jacks on the back, which I use to connect to 2 cables -- one for cable TV and one for the antenna in the attic. The remote allows me to toggle easily between the two inputs.

All the new Samsungs (and maybe all brands) only have a single RF jack. Is there any way I can still access both the CATV and Antenna inputs easily with just one RF jack? If I had a cable box, I could connect that to an HDMI jack, but I don't want to pay Time Warner to rent their cable box when I'm happy with the channels I get without the box. What are my options?

I think I have an old (and probably low-quality) A/B switch for RF connections, so I guess I could use that, but it would not be nearly as convenient to go across the room and push button A or B as it is to control that from my remote.

Does anyone make an adapter that goes from RF to some other connector, such as HDMI? In some sense, a cable box functions as such an adapter (and much more), but I don't need (or want to pay for) all the other functions of a cable box. Or is there some sort of inexpensive cable box that I could buy (rather than rent from Time Warner)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Gregg

You can get this remote controlled A/B switch from Radio Shack. I'm using one (in combination with a wireless remote extender) to route the RF output from two DVRs to my bedroom TV. The buttons were easily learned to my URC-8820 learning remote....works great.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the 46A650 will retain the scanned channels from the two sources (cable & antenna) allowing you to simply switch back and forth between the two...some TVs require a rescan when switching sources which would surely be a deal breaker.

Vin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21152 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

You can get this remote controlled A/B switch from Radio Shack. I'm using one (in combination with a wireless remote extender) to route the RF output from two DVRs to my bedroom TV. The buttons were easily learned to my URC-8820 learning remote....works great.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the 46A650 will retain the scanned channels from the two sources (cable & antenna) allowing you to simply switch back and forth between the two...some TVs require a rescan when switching sources which would surely be a deal breaker.

Hi Vin,

Thanks for your suggestion about the remote controlled A/B switch from Radio Shack. Also, thanks for mentioning the second point, about possibly having to rescan each time I wanted to switch inputs. That would be horrible.

I just called Samsung and they said I should be able to just use a splitter. Will that really work? Usually a splitter takes one input and creates 2 outputs. Can I simply connect it backwards and merge 2 inputs into one? The guy from Samsung did not sound too sharp, and said he thought it should work, which does not instill too much confidence. Will the 2 signals (CATV and Antenna) peacefully coexist? Or will they mess each other up? If a splitter used backwards really works, then that is a pretty simple solution to part of the problem. He said that to switch from CATV to Antenna, I would have to go a few levels into the menu system, so it would not be as convenient as pushing a button on the remote, but I could live with that (as long as I don't have to rescan each time). Also, if that works, then I could probably use a programable remote to do all that with one button push.

Thanks,

Gregg
post #21153 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM

hey guys i have a quick audio question. I own the 46" 650 (FW 1003.2 i believe).

I have my tv connected via HDMI to my STB (SA4250HD).

On some programming in very quiet scenes (for example, only dialogue with no other apparent audio such as music or background noise) the audio seems to go completely silent (like in between the dialogue). Now I know it is probably supposed to be very quiet, but it turns silent like the TV is off. This doesn't sound right because usually there is some sort of feedback noise or something (like wind/air). It just sounds odd when it goes completely silent, to some dialogue, to completely silent again, etc. Also you can hear some faint crackling noise as well when it is very very quiet. When there is other background noise/music, this problem doesn't occur.

So any ideas? Is it a settings/HDMI/STB issue?

Thanks.
post #21154 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone make an adapter that goes from RF to some other connector, such as HDMI? In some sense, a cable box functions as such an adapter (and much more), but I don't need (or want to pay for) all the other functions of a cable box. Or is there some sort of inexpensive cable box that I could buy (rather than rent from Time Warner)?

What you're basically describing is an external HD tuner.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #21155 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballz View Post

hey guys i have a quick audio question. I own the 46" 650 (FW 1003.2 i believe).

I have my tv connected via HDMI to my STB (SA4250HD).

On some programming in very quiet scenes (for example, only dialogue with no other apparent audio such as music or background noise) the audio seems to go completely silent (like in between the dialogue). Now I know it is probably supposed to be very quiet, but it turns silent like the TV is off. This doesn't sound right because usually there is some sort of feedback noise or something (like wind/air). It just sounds odd when it goes completely silent, to some dialogue, to completely silent again, etc. Also you can hear some faint crackling noise as well when it is very very quiet. When there is other background noise/music, this problem doesn't occur.

So any ideas? Is it a settings/HDMI/STB issue?

I'm having the same problem. When I turn off the option that automatically levels the audio (I forget what Samsung calls it), the problem seems to go away. Still, that means I'm not able to use that feature. I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue or something else.
post #21156 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Would someone with firmware version 2004.x please tell me the firmware build date on their set? It's the long string of numbers and letters after pressing "Info" on the remote under "F/W Update." I am trying to get Samsung to send me the 2004.x firmware update and they need that build date number string...

LN46A650 - F/W: 2007.0 Panel Ver.: SQ01
Onkyo TX-SR706
DirecTV HR21-700
PS3, Wii, & NES
post #21157 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

Well, except that I don't need the tuner!

The TV has tuners for both over-the-air signals and cable TV signals, but only has one coaxial jack. If there is some adapter with a coaxial input jack and an HDMI output jack, then I could connect the cable TV cable directly to the coaxial jack on the TV and I could connect the over-the-air antenna cable to this adapter and then to an HDMI jack on the TV. Does anything like this exist (without an additional tuner)?

Gregg
post #21158 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, except that I don't need the tuner!

The TV has tuners for both over-the-air signals and cable TV signals, but only has one coaxial jack. If there is some adapter with a coaxial input jack and an HDMI output jack, then I could connect the cable TV cable directly to the coaxial jack on the TV and I could connect the over-the-air antenna cable to this adapter and then to an HDMI jack on the TV. Does anything like this exist (without an additional tuner)?

Gregg

The coax contains the entire RF spectrum of TV channels, from which your TV tuner extracts a specific channel for display. An HDMI cable contains a single A/V stream supplied by a video device like a cable STB, DVD player, DRV, or external tuner. When you say you want to adapt your coax to HDMI, you have to have an external tuner to extract the single channel; either the cable company's STB or one you purchase.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #21159 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The coax contains the entire RF spectrum of TV channels, from which your TV tuner extracts a specific channel for display. An HDMI cable contains a single A/V stream supplied by a video device like a cable STB, DVD player, DRV, or external tuner. When you say you want to adapt your coax to HDMI, you have to have an external tuner to extract the single channel; either the cable company's STB or one you purchase.

Thanks for the help. I guess it's clear now that I don't know much about this stuff! It's too bad (for me, at least) that Samsung (and others) decided to only provide one coax jack. With 2 coax jacks, I guess one went to the CATV tuner and one went to the Antenna tuner. I think that Samsung (and others) still claim to have both QAM and ATSC tuners, so how does it work now? Does the single coax jack provide access to both tuners?

With regard to someone else's suggestion, can I use a splitter (backwards) to merge both the CATV and Antenna signals and feed that into the single coax jack on the TV? Will I be able to scan both for available channels?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gregg
post #21160 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpy View Post

Would someone with firmware version 2004.x please tell me the firmware build date on their set? It's the long string of numbers and letters after pressing "Info" on the remote under "F/W Update." I am trying to get Samsung to send me the 2004.x firmware update and they need that build date number string...

module: t-ambausc-2004.0, date: panel: 46a 71 , micom: t-ambausm-1005
rfs: t-ambausc- 20080416, 2008-08-05

*EDIT* Everything is capitalized if it matters... Also my sticker also says SS04... this is a LN46A650 model...

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #21161 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidoc View Post

Those are the service menu settings for the A650 that effect things per input. The notations above were the changes to those settings in the various firmware updates, as well as from the actual samsung service manual for the 32 40 46 & 52" sets. As far as my source guess you can say Samsung since it's their firmware and I have a hardcopy of the manual sitting in front of me suplied to me by samsung.

The 32" 650 doesn't have the same firmware updates the other models have.
post #21162 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

The 32" 650 doesn't have the same firmware updates the other models have.

Perhaps not, I've yet to see the 32" service menu or firmware, I included it as the service manual covers it as well. The point being was there have been changes in the wb during firmware updates.
post #21163 of 23519 Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the help. I guess it's clear now that I don't know much about this stuff! It's too bad (for me, at least) that Samsung (and others) decided to only provide one coax jack. With 2 coax jacks, I guess one went to the CATV tuner and one went to the Antenna tuner. I think that Samsung (and others) still claim to have both QAM and ATSC tuners, so how does it work now? Does the single coax jack provide access to both tuners?

With regard to someone else's suggestion, can I use a splitter (backwards) to merge both the CATV and Antenna signals and feed that into the single coax jack on the TV? Will I be able to scan both for available channels?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gregg

No you absolutely can not join CATV and antenna with a splitter like that. If you did, your antenna would "broadcast" the cable signal (albeit weakly) and the pic on your TV would look really bad.

What you want is an A/B switch. It has three RF connectors on the back (A, B and output). You can get a remote controlled one (which will allow you to switch it from the comfort of your couch) or you can get a regular one if you don't mind getting up to switch it back and forth. Radio Shack used to carry the remote controlled one; I'm not sure if they still do.

Run coax from your antenna to "A" on the A/B switch.

Run coax from cable wall plate to the "B" on the A/B switch.

Run coax from the center/output of the A/B switch to the RF input on the Samsung.

Put the A/B switch on A. Set the Samsung to antenna input and do a channel scan. Then put the A/B switch on B, set the Samsung to cable and do another channel scan. The TV will memorize each set of channels separately.

Then when you want to watch TV off the antenna, set the A/B switch to A and use the Tools menu on the TV to switch to antenna. When you want to watch cable, set the A/B switch to B and use the Tools menu to switch to cable.
post #21164 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 AM

A quick, slightly paranoid query. I was cleaning the screen today, having just received a unit (the LA32A650 - Australian model, hence the 'LA'). Being aware of the glossy coating, I was wondering if the cleaning solution I am using can have any affect on it or would be able to damage. It is a alcohol-free solution designed for LCD and Plasma screens that came as part of a TV-cleaning kit. Thanks!
post #21165 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 AM

I went with a friend to look for a new tv and I took him to BB and CC. The prices at CC are still not sale prices, LN46A650 was still a hundred more than I paid at BB. I looked at almost all the panel stickers on the side of the display models and found that almost all at both stores were SQ01 panels and a couple SS04 panels. To tell the truth I did not see anything special about these SQ01 panels, they looked the same as SS04 and a few seemed to have a poorer picture. I know the signal in a store is not what you get at home on cable or sat when you figure how many tvs they are feeding is a store, but these SQ01 panels did not seem special at all. Even on a couple that were playing blu-rays. I took my Harmony remote and played alittle with the settings and some had the wow 3-d soap kind of look and some didn't.

I have a question to ask, how many of you guys want the wow 3-d soap kind of picture and how many want a realistic looking vibrant bright sharp picture ?
post #21166 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

I went with a friend to look for a new tv and I took him to BB and CC. The prices at CC are still not sale prices, LN46A650 was still a hundred more than I paid at BB. I looked at almost all the panel stickers on the side of the display models and found that almost all at both stores were SQ01 panels and a couple SS04 panels. To tell the truth I did not see anything special about these SQ01 panels, they looked the same as SS04 and a few seemed to have a poorer picture. I know the signal in a store is not what you get at home on cable or sat when you figure how many tvs they are feeding is a store, but these SQ01 panels did not seem special at all. Even on a couple that were playing blu-rays. I took my Harmony remote and played alittle with the settings and some had the wow 3-d soap kind of look and some didn't.

I have a question to ask, how many of you guys want the wow 3-d soap kind of picture and how many want a realistic looking vibrant bright sharp picture ?

I guess we all need your definition of WOW. Simply because its all in the eye of the beholder. If you are looking for perfection you will never find it.
post #21167 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM

From what I have researched from other threads only the 750 has network capability (DLNA). However I am also goint to be getting a Samsung BD-P2550 which can stream Netflix movies so that should take care of that part. As connecting your TV to more internet sources become available won't other devices eventually offer this is a "client" so your TV really does not have to have this capability? Has ANYONE had any experience with using the DLNA functionality on the 750 and if so what was your experience? Thanks and in need of information before I write the check.
post #21168 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 View Post

*EDIT* Everything is capitalized if it matters... Also my sticker also says SS04... this is a LN46A650 model...

Thanks bro. We'll see what happens if anything.

LN46A650 - F/W: 2007.0 Panel Ver.: SQ01
Onkyo TX-SR706
DirecTV HR21-700
PS3, Wii, & NES
post #21169 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 View Post

Quote:

Thanks bro. We'll see what happens if anything.

If you get this, please let us know. I would be interested in having this, in case I ever want to consider upgrading the firmware.
post #21170 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmike View Post

I guess we all need your definition of WOW. Simply because its all in the eye of the beholder. If you are looking for perfection you will never find it.

by wow I mean the soap, 3-d kind of look, looks like you are right in the picture, if you know what I mean. But I am having thoughts that the soap, 3-d look might not be so desirable after all.

I watched the daytona 500 yesterday and it looked great no blurring just a great picture. I think that look comes when to turn AMP on, I could be wrong. However I do not get it on my tv, like I did on the first one and maybe thats a good thing. I have no flashlights, clouding or purple haze and the picture looks good at an angle as well.

What I meant in the previous post was that I didn't see a big difference in the different panels I seen at CC and BB on display. I think I understand now that all these different panels can be good, bad or mediocre. Mtnmike is right it is in the eye of the beholder what they like and want to see.

Mtnmike, your advice and help has helped me alot, I appreciate everything. The guys on here are lucky to have you on here with your knowledge. Not to slight anyone, there are others on here that can be very helpful as well.
post #21171 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Can I get a good reccomendation on how to clean a dusty bezel and avoid scratching it?

I used the supplied cloth and results werent so good.

Whats the best method?
post #21172 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

by wow I mean the soap, 3-d kind of look, looks like you are right in the picture, if you know what I mean. But I am having thoughts that the soap, 3-d look might not be so desirable after all.

I watched the daytona 500 yesterday and it looked great no blurring just a great picture. I think that look comes when to turn AMP on, I could be wrong. However I do not get it on my tv, like I did on the first one and maybe thats a good thing. I have no flashlights, clouding or purple haze and the picture looks good at an angle as well.

What I meant in the previous post was that I didn't see a big difference in the different panels I seen at CC and BB on display. I think I understand now that all these different panels can be good, bad or mediocre. Mtnmike is right it is in the eye of the beholder what they like and want to see.

Mtnmike, your advice and help has helped me alot, I appreciate everything. The guys on here are lucky to have you on here with your knowledge. Not to slight anyone, there are others on here that can be very helpful as well.

You're a good person.
post #21173 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM

what is the general consensus of this beast? I have about 1100 max to spend on an lcd to replace my westinghouse 37w3 (bless it's heart its been great)

i do alot of gaming, and blu ray watching....360/ps3/and wii....i have a switch in my entertainment center already for the "info link" which seems interesting

can you update firmware there?

fry's has the 40" 650 for 1199 w/ free shipping...
post #21174 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfast View Post

Can I get a good reccomendation on how to clean a dusty bezel and avoid scratching it?

I used the supplied cloth and results werent so good.

Whats the best method?

Whatever you wipe the TV with, it should be very damp. Scratching occurs from pushing the dust over a dry surface. So you need to wipe off the dust with something very damp and then follow that up with with a dry micro-fiber cloth to prevent streaking. I just use e-tronic wipes, since they are very wet, to take off the dust and then follow that up with a clean dry micro-fiber cloth. My bezel and stand are scratch free and look like new, so it seems to be an okay solution.

post #21175 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Hello, new here and haven't had time to read through all the threads yet but will begin to work on out.

I just ordered the Samsung Ln46a650 a week or two ago and got it plugged in on 2/12/09. It worked fine for the 5 or 6 hours I used it, blu ray on ps3 with hdmi cord worked great and no problems with the cable.

Yesterday, 2/16 I went to time warner cable to upgrade my box to the HD box. Well I came home and plugged it in using the same HDMI cable I bought and am using for the ps3 with no problems. However when viewing cable televsion on source HDMI 3, which is what i have the box plugged into, it will not work as the picture intervals between being clear and fine for 30 seconds or so to being all static black and white with the fuzz sound for 30 seconds. However, when I view the television on source "TV" there is no problem and the cable works fine but is not up to HD.

With this situation, it seems that the box and cable output are not the problem, does this mean the problem most likely is with the HDMI cord I am using or did I hook something up incorrectly most likely?

Thx for your help
post #21176 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz View Post

No you absolutely can not join CATV and antenna with a splitter like that. If you did, your antenna would "broadcast" the cable signal (albeit weakly) and the pic on your TV would look really bad.

What you want is an A/B switch. It has three RF connectors on the back (A, B and output). You can get a remote controlled one (which will allow you to switch it from the comfort of your couch) or you can get a regular one if you don't mind getting up to switch it back and forth. Radio Shack used to carry the remote controlled one; I'm not sure if they still do.

Run coax from the center/output of the A/B switch to the RF input on the Samsung.

Put the A/B switch on A. Set the Samsung to antenna input and do a channel scan. Then put the A/B switch on B, set the Samsung to cable and do another channel scan. The TV will memorize each set of channels separately.

Then when you want to watch TV off the antenna, set the A/B switch to A and use the Tools menu on the TV to switch to antenna. When you want to watch cable, set the A/B switch to B and use the Tools menu to switch to cable.

I thought the splitter idea sounded too good to be true. By the way, a guy in Samsung's tech support was the one who suggested this!

I figured I'd probably have to use an A/B switch, but I thought I'd ask to see if there were any other options. Thanks,

Gregg
post #21177 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberasi View Post

Hello, new here and haven't had time to read through all the threads yet but will begin to work on out.

I just ordered the Samsung Ln46a650 a week or two ago and got it plugged in on 2/12/09. It worked fine for the 5 or 6 hours I used it, blu ray on ps3 with hdmi cord worked great and no problems with the cable.

Yesterday, 2/16 I went to time warner cable to upgrade my box to the HD box. Well I came home and plugged it in using the same HDMI cable I bought and am using for the ps3 with no problems. However when viewing cable televsion on source HDMI 3, which is what i have the box plugged into, it will not work as the picture intervals between being clear and fine for 30 seconds or so to being all static black and white with the fuzz sound for 30 seconds. However, when I view the television on source "TV" there is no problem and the cable works fine but is not up to HD.

With this situation, it seems that the box and cable output are not the problem, does this mean the problem most likely is with the HDMI cord I am using or did I hook something up incorrectly most likely?

Thx for your help

Try using component cables from your HD box and see if the problem still persists.

BD=870

post #21178 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After ordering the 46" a month ago, I'm finally getting it Saturday. I have 1 more "dumb" question. Is there any difference in HDMI 1, 2, or 3? I'm only hooking up a Directv HR20 & a Panny Blu-Ray DMP-BD35K.
post #21179 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz View Post

I've been wondering about this myself, thanks for the great explanation.
post #21180 of 23519 Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

After ordering the 46" a month ago, I'm finally getting it Saturday. I have 1 more "dumb" question. Is there any difference in HDMI 1, 2, or 3? I'm only hooking up a Directv HR20 & a Panny Blu-Ray DMP-BD35K.

I believe PC mode is only available on HDMI 2, so if you don't need that one you could leave it free in case you hook up your computer later on.

Samsung LN52A650, Denon AVR-1908, Klipsch Reference 7.1, Harmony One, Comcast Moto DC6412III, XBOX 360 Elite, PS3 80GB, WII
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page