Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 773 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23161 of 23513 Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I enabled the auto volume control on the A650 and made a custom EQ setting which helps a lot with the dialog. The downside is you will lose a lot of loud sound effects. Explosions and big music scores will almost be too suppressed. My ears are shot but I found the auto volume works well for me on most movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightCounts View Post

Hi, folks. First post here. I tried searching this thread for my issue but I had no joy so I was hoping some kind people here could assist.

I have an 46A650 and a PS3 hooked directly to it via HDMI (no receiver). The problem is with watching blu-ray movies and the voice audio is terribly low. Everything else sound effect-wise is fine. For my PS3 audio settings I have Linear PCM 2 Ch 44.1 khz and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 khz selected and nothing else.

Sorry if this issue has been addressed before. I was unable to find it.

Thanks in advance.

-EightCounts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23162 of 23513 Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? There are several horizontal rows of dead pixels and three vertical columns of discolored pixels along the bottom of the screen. It's causing three dark grey lines that run to the top of the panel. Any ideas before I call samsung so they can tell me they won't cover it?
LL
post #23163 of 23513 Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Here's one more pic since I can't edit to add attachments from the iPhone app:

It's also getting progressively worse each time I turn on the tv.
LL
post #23164 of 23513 Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizosh View Post

Just wanted to update this in case someone else runs across this issue. I called the warranty folks at 11:30am and by 1:30pm there was someone here. The problem was fixed by replacing the capacitors. The tech also changed out the 10 volts for 16 volts.

First off, thanks for posting this - I ran into the exact same problem with my 46" 650. I'm out of warranty, but I called Samsung this evening, and after giving the support person my model and serial numbers, they're going to dispatch a local service repair company to fix the problem, free of charge.

FYI, I'm in Canada.

I'll advise how the repair went. Hopefully by the weekend!
post #23165 of 23513 Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

There is something with our Samsung LN52A650 that's always bugged me. The issue is in using the 'TV Input' button on the TiVo (and now DirecTV) remote to cycle through the inputs on the TV. On most TVs, an input button cycles through the inputs and once you stop on one, the menu disappears within seconds. On the Samsung, the menu appears and the remote cycles through inputs, but even after stopping on one, the menu remains on screen. I'm not sure if the menu ever times out, but I know that it stays on the screen far longer than my patience would allow.

Does anyone know of a way to make that menu timeout, or if it already does eventually, timeout much more quickly?

Thanks
post #23166 of 23513 Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post

There is something with our Samsung LN52A650 that's always bugged me. The issue is in using the 'TV Input' button on the TiVo (and now DirecTV) remote to cycle through the inputs on the TV. On most TVs, an input button cycles through the inputs and once you stop on one, the menu disappears within seconds. On the Samsung, the menu appears and the remote cycles through inputs, but even after stopping on one, the menu remains on screen. I'm not sure if the menu ever times out, but I know that it stays on the screen far longer than my patience would allow.

Does anyone know of a way to make that menu timeout, or if it already does eventually, timeout much more quickly?

Thanks

I don't think the input menu ever times out. Mine I just push the exit button after selecting the correct source.
post #23167 of 23513 Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I purchased my Samsung LN46a460 over a year ago now. I see that there are all these new web apps on the market. Can I upgrade my television to use these new apps? Should I be updated my firmware on a regular basis?
thx
Buck
post #23168 of 23513 Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Wow..its been a while since ive posted in this thread! Anyways, has anyone seen the firmware update that samsung released in may? Anyone tried it out yet? What are the changes in it?
post #23169 of 23513 Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I dont think its new, I looked at it but the version was the same as what I already had. They may have mislabeled it though, so if anyone has installed it and found that it is in fact "new", please chime in...
post #23170 of 23513 Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM

aww no one.
post #23171 of 23513 Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
cna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qixote View Post

Help with Timer's Activate On - Does not have option to choose input source when television turns on, other than TV/USB

I've been trying to use the Timer's activate on in the Setup's Time menu. There is no option to have it automatically select any of the HDMI sources when the set turns on. This seems to make the feature worthless, since most buyers of these probably use an HDMI input source. Am I overlooking something, or is this in fact a worthless feature for HDMI users? I sometimes like using my television as an alarm clock to wake me up. My cable box has this and it works, unfortunately it doesn't turn my tv on with it.

Source Auto Detect?
Another question. Isn't this model supposed to automatically detect and switch to an active input source? Example, if I turn my Xbox360 off, I would expect the tv to automatically detect and switch to HDMI 1 if that is the only other active source. But it does not do this. My Samsung Syncmaster that I use with my PC does automatically detect and a source, so I would hope these TVs would too.

Thanks for any input on these questions.

This is very disappointing for me also. I recently tried setting this to turn the TV on in the morning to have news on from my Dish Network receiver, but can't select any of the HDMI sources.

Anyone have any tips to select HDMI?
post #23172 of 23513 Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Have had this TV for a couple of years now...love it.

Recently the TV is no longer remembering certain "Favorite Channels" anymore, they are the local digital channels such as 5-1, 21-1, 25-1....the channels are still there, and I can still go to them, but they're just not being remembered by Favorites...any thoughts as to what's going on?

Thanks!
post #23173 of 23513 Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 AM

had this tv for several years now. now it's taking longer to start up. it keeps making a clicking sound and restarting several times before turning on.
does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what to do about it?
thanks
gil
post #23174 of 23513 Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil5 View Post

had this tv for several years now. now it's taking longer to start up. it keeps making a clicking sound and restarting several times before turning on.
does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what to do about it?
thanks
gil

Gil,

I remember others asking about the same issue in the past. You may be able to find the info you are looking for by searching this thread.
post #23175 of 23513 Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM

Sounds like your cap's are going bad on your powerboard.
post #23176 of 23513 Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM

thanks for the reply
i'm going to look into it
gil
post #23177 of 23513 Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Back already

Has anyone noticed and/or found a solution to stuttering or judder in SD scene pans?

This happens a lot when I watch netflix via PS3, there will be a panning scene and the judder just kills me. With HD content there is very little stutter. I have varied AMP with no improvement, and also tried playing with other video processing functions to no avail.

I guess after 2 years, I'm sick of it!

I have the same issue. Samsung support told me that AMP is most likely not working properly, so just turn AMP off! I emailed back telling them that I would like to get it fixed and I never heard back. It isn't always noticeable, but it is when there is a quick pan sideways, especially if there is a lot of vertical lines (such as a fence.) Let me know if you find a solution.

PS: Anyone know what the most recent fireware number? I could not find the version info.
post #23178 of 23513 Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa-dvd View Post

I have the same issue. Samsung support told me that AMP is most likely not working properly, so just turn AMP off! I emailed back telling them that I would like to get it fixed and I never heard back. It isn't always noticeable, but it is when there is a quick pan sideways, especially if there is a lot of vertical lines (such as a fence.) Let me know if you find a solution.

PS: Anyone know what the most recent fireware number? I could not find the version info.

I might try to hack to pump amp up to full blast and see if that helps. Probably won't have time in the near future though.
post #23179 of 23513 Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Actually I just checked and amp is apparently already up all the way in fw 2008.9.

Edit: The latest FW on tyhe website is 2007.0 ... anyone know the difference between 2007.0 and 2008.9? 2008.9 came on my set.
post #23180 of 23513 Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

To answer my own question, it seems that one person claims better AMP with 2007, as well as more "POP", which is pretty subjective... basically it's a chance that you may have to take to try it out. I'm going to make the leap tonight and compare some netflix streaming media that was noticeably juddery for me. I might even try to take a video of it before and after but I'm not sure if my camera would capture it well. Stay tuned...
post #23181 of 23513 Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM

First of all I love this TV, great picture and features for a great price. I have had no problems with my unit until this summer. The line first appeared back in June, 6 months after the warranty was up. The line appears on the screen most of the time now, but will intermittently go away. I have attached an image for a clearer explanation.

I recently took the TV to a service location (I am located in Wichita, KS) where the tech told me the panel was bad & wanted to charge me $850 to fix it. I declined and brought it back home.
LL
post #23182 of 23513 Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrin View Post

First of all I love this TV, great picture and features for a great price. I have had no problems with my unit until this summer. The line first appeared back in June, 6 months after the warranty was up. The line appears on the screen most of the time now, but will intermittently go away. I have attached an image for a clearer explanation.

I recently took the TV to a service location (I am located in Wichita, KS) where the tech told me the panel was bad & wanted to charge me $850 to fix it. I declined and brought it back home.

I'll tell you how to fix it if you tell me how to install my windows. j/k.

If you are going to attempt it on your own, I would first just disassemble it and put it back together. It could be that the electrical connection to that pin is flaky and re-seating the signal wire/cable to it might temporarily if not permanently fix the problem. Your actual LCD panel is most likely just fine, unless the wiring is integral to the panel. In any case, I think you should get a second opinion from a difference service place. They may be able to save you the hassle and repair it for a reasonable price.

Otherwise, you might as well just get a 46C650 new from amazon for $800 delivered!
post #23183 of 23513 Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Hi everyone. I just joined and tried searching for the answer. I want to finally wall mount my 46A650 Samsung LCD in another room and am looking for a mount. I see some on Amazon for $20. Are those good enough and what will fit my tv. A link to a good wall mount would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
post #23184 of 23513 Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM

I have purchased all of my wall mounts from monoprice.com. You can't beat the prices and they have just about every type you can think of.
post #23185 of 23513 Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakino View Post

I was watching TV this evening and all the sudden the black colors were blue. I unplugged the TV and let it sit for awhile, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. I'm most likely out of warranty because I bought the 46A650 right when they came out (I think it has been three years now?). I attached a picture. Any suggestions? Is this TV shot? I hope not because I just started grad school and no longer have a job to buy a new tv!

Attachment 184832

I just starting having this same problem yesterday, except replace blue with red. I wonder if anything came of this?
post #23186 of 23513 Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Just an FYI, after almost 2 1/2 years, my 46" Sammy starting having the dreaded power on/off clicking problem. I called samsung support, they said that this model is eligible for a one time replacement of the capacitors. Two days later support came out, replace the capacitors in 30 minutes and it's working great.

One additional bonus, my set from day one always had some backlight bleeding, but nothing too serious but noticeable on dark scenes. After the capacitor replacement, they're gone...it's nice an uniform now!
post #23187 of 23513 Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM

I searched for many hours and read this thread entirely./ nothing/
I think I am looking a : "No Signal Power Off = On " option

I am using this sceen LN37B650 as a PC Monitor for a 2nd PC , 95% of the time the sceen is to be in "No time Information... no signal"

Every cheap LCD monitor on this planet can shut down to standby mode when there is no signal.
I do not wish to have this huge remote control on my desk just to On/Off every now and then to look at the PC,,, and this "No Signal" moving around is utterly annoying and cost electricity !

Otherwise,,, With all due respect, this TV is a Joke.
post #23188 of 23513 Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transisto View Post
I searched for many hours and read this thread entirely./ nothing/
I think I am looking a : "No Signal Power Off = On " option

I am using this sceen LN37B650 as a PC Monitor for a 2nd PC , 95% of the time the sceen is to be in "No time Information... no signal"

Every cheap LCD monitor on this planet can shut down to standby mode when there is no signal.
I do not wish to have this huge remote control on my desk just to On/Off every now and then to look at the PC,,, and this "No Signal" moving around is utterly annoying and cost electricity !

Otherwise,,, With all due respect, this TV is a Joke.
This is a TV, not a monitor.
post #23189 of 23513 Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM

So is there anywhere to get a LN52A650 new besides Amazon marketplace or something?
post #23190 of 23513 Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

probably not, its an older model. The C650's are the current gen, I think.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page