post #23491 of 23507 Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

When I first got my A650, I ran through and did a calibration using my HD DVE (on HD-DVD). I didn't get into the super advanced menus where you can adjust the colors individually, but I got it looking really good doing a basic calibration. I then flipped it to the Cinema "E. Mode", and it looked the same as what I'd arrived at. Since then, I've just been using Cinema mode.

Friends have bought several different sets, and none look as good as my A650. The only thing that has really bothered me is gaming. Since you must use game mode to reduce the input lag, and settings in game mode cannot be adjusted, games just look bad. Games look far better on my old HD CRT than they do on my A650. If only one thing was changed on game mode, I'd want the sharpness turned off and color temp set to warm. Those two things would vastly improve the picture in game mode.

I think that you can reduce lag further by using HDMI2/DVI and renaming it to "PC" fwiw. Has the same drawbacks though. I do believe that sharpness is 0 by default in those modes though, as sharpness control is a processing step that can be eliminated (set to 0) to reduce lag. What console do you game with? I'm wondering if there is a color temp. setting in the console itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23492 of 23507 Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

I think that you can reduce lag further by using HDMI2/DVI and renaming it to "PC" fwiw. Has the same drawbacks though. I do believe that sharpness is 0 by default in those modes though, as sharpness control is a processing step that can be eliminated (set to 0) to reduce lag. What console do you game with? I'm wondering if there is a color temp. setting in the console itself?

Right now, the 3 consoles I have connected are a PS2, Xbox 360, and a Wii. All use component (my 360 is a launch model without HDMI). I remember hearing the trick of naming it PC, but that also messed with the picture, but in different ways.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #23493 of 23507 Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Um, I may have goofed guys, the model we have is the LN46A750R1F XD

Guess I won't be posting in this thread anymore!

post #23494 of 23507 Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,
I have really enjoyed my LN-52A650 since 2008 and last week I noticed a dark blue vertical line about 1/2 inch from the right edge of the panel. The line will fade away in about 20 minutes. Samsung states I need will need a new display and several repair shops hint at a T-Con board replacement. Anyone familiar with this problem? I am afraid that like most things, things will get worse.
post #23495 of 23507 Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
Hi I have the same issue. Can you please tell me how you fixed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor360 View Post

Sorry if this have been posted before, but couldn't find the correct word to describe what is going on with my LN52A650. We've had the set for a few years now without issue. Starting about a month ago, we're seeing this on turning the TV on. It'll last for about 5-7 minutes before screen returning to normal. At first it was happening sporadically, but now it's each time you turn the TV on. It's starting to now happen well after the TV has been on for awhile. If anybody can clue me in on what might be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it. smile.gif
post #23496 of 23507 Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srid121 View Post

I'm having the same issue as Senor360 and srid121.

TV screen will turn black (off) but, I will still have sound. Sometimes it will come back on but I usually power it off then back on.

Any ideas or is it just time for a new TV?

Thanks in advance.
post #23497 of 23507 Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srid121 View Post

I ended up buying a 70" Vizio set. The Samsung was moved to the bedroom, and still does this every so often. It's a crap shoot when it will happen, but at least it does go away after a few minutes. I'm sorry you're having the issue now. Best of luck.

Samsung LN52A650
FiOS HD-DVR - HDMI to tv
Pioneer 600w HTIAB
XBox 360 - component to tv / fiber to rcvr
PS3 - HDMI to TV
post #23498 of 23507 Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I own the LN52A650A1FXZA. This week it quit working... There is no picture and no sound, the display lights up ( faint glows).
The problem started after I connected my laptop via HDMI4 and felt a static charge on attaching cable to laptop ( tho' the tv and laptop was NOT turned ON.
I checked power board it checks ok (all voltages printed near connector pins are normal). I believe the problem could be on main board.
It would be very helpful if someone has any input to the problem or they a service manual I could use.
Thanking you in advance.
post #23499 of 23507 Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypatel14 View Post

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I own the LN52A650A1FXZA. This week it quit working... There is no picture and no sound, the display lights up ( faint glows).
The problem started after I connected my laptop via HDMI4 and felt a static charge on attaching cable to laptop ( tho' the tv and laptop was NOT turned ON.
I checked power board it checks ok (all voltages printed near connector pins are normal). I believe the problem could be on main board.
It would be very helpful if someone has any input to the problem or they a service manual I could use.
Thanking you in advance.

The first post of this thread has info on how to get into the service menu.

If it really is broken & not under warranty, it probably isn't cost effective to pay for repairs.
I think used, these TVs sell from anywhere in the $350-550 range.
post #23500 of 23507 Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Samsung 6-series 46" LCD. Using the tv's speakers, for now. Everything has been fine till the last few days. I got a new PS3 super slim and suddenly, Blu-Ray dialogue started to be incredibly soft (wasn't an issue with the first PS3 I had). I saw in the PS3 SELECT controller option that the PS3 is outputting 5.1 sound, when I have specifically selected 2-channel Linear PCM sound (44.1 and 48) in the PS3 setup menu. I believe this is why movie dialogue is so incredibly soft.

As it relates to the Samsung, I have found a workaround, though not ideal. When I go into AUTO VOLUME in the Samsung sound settings and select NORMAL, it seems to raise the dialogue level, while keeping the sound effects from blasting me away. It's an artificial way of getting more dialogue, but sad that I have to resort to this.

Anyone else use the Auto Volume to deal with PS3's/Blu-Ray players that output incredibly soft movie dialogue?

Also, today I have exchanged the 3-week-old PS3 superslim for a new one and hopefully it will output only 2-channel Linear PCM to the Samsung and not try to go for 5.1.

A Cox Cable tech 'hot-swapped' HDMI cables on my PS3 and cable box recently and hope this didn't cause my issues. Seems unlikely but who knows. I'm starting fresh now, with the new PS3.
post #23501 of 23507 Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I had that Auto Volume glitch a few times.
Sometimes the volume will go lower & having to turn off & back on the Auto Volume settings.
post #23502 of 23507 Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I had that Auto Volume glitch a few times.
Sometimes the volume will go lower & having to turn off & back on the Auto Volume settings.

Just to be clear, movie dialogue is incredibly soft with Auto Volume OFF. Turning it ON levels things out and seems to raise dialogue volume, though I never had to do this before when my PS3 was outputting 2-channel sound correctly to my tv.

So you're saying you just turned Auto Volume on and off? What did this fix, exactly?
post #23503 of 23507 Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM

What is the difference between Version - SQ01 and SQ02 of TV model # LN52A650A1F
I am ordering a main board - BN94-01666E instead of BN94-01666P (this is my original board and TV VERSION IS SQ"2)
Both board are comparable according to Google.
post #23504 of 23507 Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypatel14 View Post

What is the difference between Version - SQ01 and SQ02 of TV model # LN52A650A1F
I am ordering a main board - BN94-01666E instead of BN94-01666P (this is my original board and TV VERSION IS SQ"2)
Both board are comparable according to Google.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1294904/samsung-panel-version-thread
post #23505 of 23507 Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apparently all is not yet lost on the capacitor law suit deal. My '08 vintage LN52A650 just started exhibiting the symptoms. But with a twist; it will come on briefly, then throw up a screenful of vertical bars of various thicknesses and colors (it's actually quite striking!), then shut off. Lather rinse repeat. The last time it did this it required about 15-20 attempts to finally power on and stay on (it started with only one or two power cycles). I've just left it on ever since until I can figure out what to do.

So, I call Samsung and start the process. The first thing I get after transfer was a recorded message saying the lawsuit repairs had expired (as I was aware). I figure I'd give it a shot anyway. I go through another couple of menus, and finally get a live person. She pretty much acted like the first message didn't matter. She said it sounds like a capacitor issue. Only difference is, they're not paying for ALL of the repair. They'll cover parts (capacitors and/or power supply) ONLY. I have to pay for the service call.

I'm waiting now to find out how much that will be and whether I should do it myself.
post #23506 of 23507 Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM

I too am having the tearing issue. Has anybody had a Tech or repairman chime in on this? IS it a card or something that can be replaced for a reasonable price? This is the most expensive TV I ever purchased, and for 7 years, between the caps and this, it's not likely I'll buy a Sammy again. I would like it repaired though, lately it takes like 15 minutes, before this goes away.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor360 View Post

Sorry if this have been posted before, but couldn't find the correct word to describe what is going on with my LN52A650. We've had the set for a few years now without issue. Starting about a month ago, we're seeing this on turning the TV on. It'll last for about 5-7 minutes before screen returning to normal. At first it was happening sporadically, but now it's each time you turn the TV on. It's starting to now happen well after the TV has been on for awhile. If anybody can clue me in on what might be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it. smile.gif

post #23507 of 23507 Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post
Apparently all is not yet lost on the capacitor law suit deal. My '08 vintage LN52A650 just started exhibiting the symptoms. But with a twist; it will come on briefly, then throw up a screenful of vertical bars of various thicknesses and colors (it's actually quite striking!), then shut off. Lather rinse repeat. The last time it did this it required about 15-20 attempts to finally power on and stay on (it started with only one or two power cycles). I've just left it on ever since until I can figure out what to do.

So, I call Samsung and start the process. The first thing I get after transfer was a recorded message saying the lawsuit repairs had expired (as I was aware). I figure I'd give it a shot anyway. I go through another couple of menus, and finally get a live person. She pretty much acted like the first message didn't matter. She said it sounds like a capacitor issue. Only difference is, they're not paying for ALL of the repair. They'll cover parts (capacitors and/or power supply) ONLY. I have to pay for the service call.

I'm waiting now to find out how much that will be and whether I should do it myself.

Otto, were you able to get a fix for your TV? My display just started the rebooting dance yesterday. If you decided to have the display repaired, how much did it end up costing?

Thanks

Kent
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln37a550 , Samsung 19 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln19a650 , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page