Official Samsung LNxxA450 (Series 4) Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a LN32A450 Saturday from BB.Appears to be the replacement for the 53 series.I'll have to post some pics.Nice looking set,no more blue light on bottom,piano black remote,more pic settings than old 53.Man,blacks are BLACK on this thing.Still playing with settings,using the settings in the LNTxx53 calibr. thread as starting point anyway.Tweak from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yay, official 4 Series thread!

I bought a 3253 in Jan and have been waiting for these very impatiently in order to do one final upgrade. Waiting has been tough, man! (...though the 3253 IS cool/nice still...).

Man, I'm really weighing hard whether to get the 32" or the 37" LNxxA450 - any thoughts on that question now that you have one?

How black compared to the actual black of the set's frame are the vertical black bars when watching on 2:35 movie content? I know you could get the 3253s bars pretty black with calibration but not quite to the point where the difference between the frame and the picture bars wasn't noticeable.

Also, what is the screen like - glossy like the 4071 or matte like the 3253?

In any case, I'm going to order or pick one up ASAP. I don't want 1080p (since I only want a 32" or 37" inch, for one) but prefer Samsung ten times over compared to other brands - so the 4 series seems perfect.
post #3 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm also curious about the screen.

Spec sheet for the 4 series also says "Clear Panel"
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...2a450_spec.pdf
post #4 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Its matte like the 3253.Uploaded some pics.Not the best camera(old kodak)so quality prob not the best.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

another pic
LL
post #6 of 1296 Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Yay, official 4 Series thread!

I bought a 3253 in Jan and have been waiting for these very impatiently in order to do one final upgrade. Waiting has been tough, man! (...though the 3253 IS cool/nice still...).

Man, I'm really weighing hard whether to get the 32" or the 37" LNxxA450 - any thoughts on that question now that you have one?

How black compared to the actual black of the set's frame are the vertical black bars when watching on 2:35 movie content? I know you could get the 3253s bars pretty black with calibration but not quite to the point where the difference between the frame and the picture bars wasn't noticeable.

Also, what is the screen like - glossy like the 4071 or matte like the 3253?

In any case, I'm going to order or pick one up ASAP. I don't want 1080p (since I only want a 32" or 37" inch, for one) but prefer Samsung ten times over compared to other brands - so the 4 series seems perfect.

The black bars seem to blend right into the tv frame.I've got a 4yr old 46" mitsu crt rptv in the living room(450'S in the bedroom)and I think this sammy might have better blacks!
post #7 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 AM

Do you play video games? And if so, how do they look on the game mode?

And did you notice any lag whether it was on or off?
post #8 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront2 View Post

The black bars seem to blend right into the tv frame.I've got a 4yr old 46" mitsu crt rptv in the living room(450'S in the bedroom)and I think this sammy might have better blacks!

Woah, sounds awesome. Yeah, like I said, even the 3253 got close (w/good calibration) - but this is as sweet as it gets.

Thanks for posting the pics, that's great.

BTW, for games/ghosting - I doubt there should be too much lag, if any at all worth mentioning - since I only saw it rarely on the 3253 even without game mode on and it was a 8ms display while this one is 6ms. This model probably won't completely remove all lag/ghosting but there are people out there that say even 12ms is good for a Sammy panel since other aspects of its build quality or whatever make their measurement of response time more effective...(than the way you see many dedicated PC monitors measured for response time, for instance).

Well, I think I've decided to just get the 32". I sit pretty close in my setup so I think the size of the 37" would be overkill, sometimes just the light from the 32" screen now seems to burn my eyes out and be overwhelming. Plus, paying less is a much bigger plus than usual at me for the moment.

I don't mind that the screen is not glossy - it allows them to make it cheaper and if the blacks are already good than there is almost no point to it (the 4071, for example, mainly just had it to improve the perception of its contrast ratio).
post #9 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 AM

I work at Best Buy and we put up the new LN32A450 next to the old LN-T3253H , calibrated both and the new model definitely takes the blue ribbon.

It looks so much better in blackness, response/speed, and color reproduction, also there was less glare noticed on the new panel. Remember this is not a replacement of the 3253H, as it was a 5 series and this is a 4 series.
post #10 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Cool info. Well, this morning I ordered a LN32A450 w/3 day shipping from circuitcity.com. Also, just ordered an HD-A20 from newegg.com. My HD-A2 broke when through extreme negligence I allowed it to fall from a 6ft height to the floor. Actually all that broke was its ability to function through HDMI (but of course, one needs that).

Anyway, I'll report back when I get the set. Can take some pics too probably. I'll be using it for HD-media movies, a PC monitor, and to play next-gen consoles.

BTW, can somebody tell me what they think SD-DVD movies will look like on this set or even the 3253 when using a player like the Oppo? Even using such - the PQ for SD-DVDs would not come close to how they would look on a good, large 4:3 CRT through S-video, would they? I ask because I have the latter and it makes SD-DVDs look awesome - so I'm not anxious to get rid of it but I am curious - especially since if I'm watching a widescreen SD title, the widescreen display might add something to it...but I don't know...love my current CRT for SD...
post #11 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R. View Post

Do you play video games? And if so, how do they look on the game mode?

And did you notice any lag whether it was on or off?

I've got a xbox 360(non-hdmi unfortunently)that I'm going to try on it.COD4,Halo3 is there a particular game that gives lcd's a workout?
post #12 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucial9 View Post

I work at Best Buy and we put up the new LN32A450 next to the old LN-T3253H , calibrated both and the new model definitely takes the blue ribbon.

It looks so much better in blackness, response/speed, and color reproduction, also there was less glare noticed on the new panel. Remember this is not a replacement of the 3253H, as it was a 5 series and this is a 4 series.

I guess,but the new 3 series (LNxxA330)is spitting image of outgoing LN-Txx42H models.The BB I stopped at last friday had the 32A330 & the 32A450 sitting side by side,the 450 looked like a new model ,but if it was'nt for the info price card under the 330 you'd swear it was 3242.Maybe Samsung changed up their model #'s ?
post #13 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Finally! thanks for creating this thread.

I'm looking to buy an LN40A450 soon. I also went and saw the series 4 at best buy, but it didn't seem calibrated. I'm glad that i'm hearing good reviews so far. I was thinking about a series 5, but its a little out of my price range relative to the features i want (this is going in a bedroom).

As for the series 3, i think that's just a carry-over that samsung didn't change (much) just so they have something to compete in the ultra-budget tv's.
post #14 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Has anyone that owns any of these new models experienced any buzzing or whistling noise from the units (even try turning sound all the way down and listen)? I have read one report of this from some anonymous person who got it home and it whistled so they exchanged it for another only to have the same problem. Could have been his setup (I hope), but my current HDTV CRT does make a hideous noise which is why I am replacing it ASAP. It buzzes even when it is muted and I have had it serviced twice for the same reason, they say they don't hear anything, but I've had it hooked up to different components at 4 different houses and it always produces the same results.

Also to anyone else out there considering the price jump to the 5 series, it's an awesome set and good price for 1080P, but unless you watch a lot of Bluray movies or play PS3/XBOX360 all the time then I would stick with the 4 series... For instance I don't own, nor will I buy a Bluray player, and I don't play games, and my HD DVR Cable box does not output anything more than 1080i so there is no point really (although I'd love to have it).

Another Also, the 3 series (32" specifically) was supposed to be Samsung's attempt to get massive sales targeted at gamers, they stripped some of the features and advanced settings off, but left a really fast response and dropped the price to market to anyone looking for a 32" LCD for gaming.
post #15 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't heard any type of noise at all.The only weird thing i've experienced so far is a kind of backfeed sound on a couple of channels (TNT or TBS and a spanish chan)with the SRS on.Turned srs off and it when't away.
post #16 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

Finally! thanks for creating this thread.

I'm looking to buy an LN40A450 soon. I also went and saw the series 4 at best buy, but it didn't seem calibrated. I'm glad that i'm hearing good reviews so far. I was thinking about a series 5, but its a little out of my price range relative to the features i want (this is going in a bedroom).

As for the series 3, i think that's just a carry-over that samsung didn't change (much) just so they have something to compete in the ultra-budget tv's.

Thought about the 550 too,but for my budget and the fact its for the bedroom also,I figured the 450 was more than enough.Good thing spring is coming cus' I won't be able get heating oil
post #17 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucial9 View Post

Has anyone that owns any of these new models experienced any buzzing or whistling noise from the units (even try turning sound all the way down and listen)? I have read one report of this from some anonymous person who got it home and it whistled so they exchanged it for another only to have the same problem. Could have been his setup (I hope), but my current HDTV CRT does make a hideous noise which is why I am replacing it ASAP. It buzzes even when it is muted and I have had it serviced twice for the same reason, they say they don't hear anything, but I've had it hooked up to different components at 4 different houses and it always produces the same results.

Also to anyone else out there considering the price jump to the 5 series, it's an awesome set and good price for 1080P, but unless you watch a lot of Bluray movies or play PS3/XBOX360 all the time then I would stick with the 4 series... For instance I don't own, nor will I buy a Bluray player, and I don't play games, and my HD DVR Cable box does not output anything more than 1080i so there is no point really (although I'd love to have it).

Another Also, the 3 series (32" specifically) was supposed to be Samsung's attempt to get massive sales targeted at gamers, they stripped some of the features and advanced settings off, but left a really fast response and dropped the price to market to anyone looking for a 32" LCD for gaming.

Well, there's not many games out or coming that support 1080p at all anyway, mainly just 720p only - and this likely won't change any time soon either. And high-def movies will still look great on a 720p w/practically no visible difference for the smaller-sized sets - heck, the first HD players only outputted 1080i/720p anyway - and the downcoversion a 720p set will force from 1080p output is fine/great.

I had to return my first 3253 because of that same whistling sound - but it was open box and my next set (also open box) was perfectly fine. That whistling sound is horribly annoying but I have to assume its a rare thing that only affects a few random production batches here and there, if that. I've owned several other Sammy LCDs and they've all been fine.

BTW, are the display face buttons tactile or touch-sensitive? I actually hate the touch-sensitive buttons on sets like the 4071 and the 3053 - to me, they are horribly inaccurate, slow to respond, and practically impossible to adjust in a dark room (which you generally need to be in all the time to get the best PQ).
post #18 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, just curious - will Samsung put out yet another version of this Series 4 or any series of sets they have coming out now - again later this year? I mean, will there be yet another "high-end" 720p line-up of sets like this coming out in September or whenever - only with like a 4ms response time and a 15,000:1 contrast ratio? Or might this be some of the last 720p sets they make, or at least for the year?
post #19 of 1296 Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

The buttons are tactile now,and they are on the right side facing the tv not the face.I'll post a terrible pic.
LL
post #20 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Please post more pictures. Is it possible to play Blu Ray Movies without
the Pulldown. Is it real 24p??
post #21 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM

I am looking at getting the LN32A450 model for my bar area. It will be against the wall in the walkway to get in behind the bar so based on my floor plan people will easily see the profile of the TV from the rest of the room. My plan is to use a omnimount qm-200f with a .77 inch profile to minimize how much it sticks out from the wall. My question is this, based on some pictures I have seen, the hdmi plugs are straight into the back, so will .77 inches be enough to fit the hdmi cable sticking out without bending or breaking it off? Just seemed like other LCDs have better cable hookups with them tucking up under instead. Can anyone elaborate on whether or not I will be disappointed with this TV because of the hookups and wanting to keep a small profile?
post #22 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my set. I ordered it from Circuit City online yesterday at 10AM with a 3-day shipping charge of only 5 bucks and got it today at 3:30PM! Cool, huh? BTW, I've seen a few other sites out there now that seem to offer this set for about 50 bucks less, but their reliability is probably in question. CC was great, for once.

Here's a few pics for now, I will post more pics later.

The box (looks pretty good, with a nice handle for easy transport! - woo! ):

Open box:

The remote (one of the best Sammy remotes, if not the best, that I've seen yet - has glossy sheen to its face to match the set design):

The stand (similiar, if not exactly the same as most recent Sammy stands):
post #23 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sledge, I am not sure I can answer your question but I will post pics of the panel's width and its input area in a bit. Maybe that will help you decide for yourself.
post #24 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM

I also think this remote looks better than the BIG NUMBER BUTTON REMOTE that is offered w/ the 5 and 6.
post #25 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

I also think this remote looks better than the BIG NUMBER BUTTON REMOTE that is offered w/ the 5 and 6.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't know why Samsung went nutsy with that Series 5 and 6 remote design.
post #26 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

More pics. I'll post pics with it on later, but it may be a good while.

post #27 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

See, in this pic, how it has that same/similiar clear "glass" strip accent along its face bottom:
post #28 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the pics Amiable-Akuma. This was exactly what I needed to answer my question. The recessed box combined with the .77" from the mount gives me plenty of space for the hdmi plug which I measured at about 1".
post #29 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM

post #30 of 1296 Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

ront2, anyone else - any idea on calibration settings? I tried some settings from the 3053 threads and from what I personally had on my old 3053 - but this TV is so different or has so many more options - those former settings do not seem to apply very well.

Let's try to get seperate "Dynamic" and "Standard" settings as well as "Movie". Sometimes I tire of using the "Movie" setting for everything.

Also, what's the opinion on the seperate "Sports", "Cinema" and "Game" modes? Are they worth messing with too?

I'll try to do my own calibration soon but I may be too busy with all the work stuff I have going on over the next 24 hours.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page