Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

I am surprised no one has talked about the CNET settings yet. I am at work, so will have to wait till tonight to try them out. Here they are.

I tried them and I like them...think I'll keep them, in fact. I returned HDMI Black level to Normal; with Backlight Level 3 and some other changes I made based on their settings, I still get decent blacks with less crushing, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil4blue View Post

I got my Blu Ray version of Digital Video Essentials in the mail and ran through the test patterns. Based on what I saw, my calibration settings are pretty much dead on. I did make a couple small adjustments with the basic settings. I'll attach my updated spreadsheet.

There 2 tabs, DVE is the new one. i1DL2 is the original.

Could someone post the differences? I can't seem to open .xls extensions.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 PM

Liked: 17
I posted this over in the "owner's thread" but I thought it was fitting here too.

For all those experiencing issues with the "purple haze" I highly recommend the following steps:

A. Factory Reset

1. Turn off the TV
2. Press 'Mute' '1' '8' '2' 'Power'
3. The TV will start and you will be in the SM (give it a few extra seconds).
4. Select Optionbyte
5. Select Factory Reset twice

B. Proper Calibration
I highly recommend Cnet's "dark room" settings

It seems the combination of these two efforts have cleared up my "purple haze". I once thought my LN40A650 was plagued with the "purple haze" but it is no mas!

Here are a few images to show that the LN40A650 has almost perfect blacks even at the most extreme angles when reset and properly calibrated.

These images are all from 1080p sources at various angles in a completely dark room. Keep in mind the "full black images" needed their brightness increased in Photoshop just to show that there is indeed a TV in there The rest of the pictures are untouched!

Full black image at 160 degrees left
Full black image at 160 degrees right
Full black image straight on
GTAIV
Reservoir Dogs
The Simpsons Movie
The Simpsons Movie pic 2
The Simpsons Movie pic 3
Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM

I have two questions about bright and contrast if someone can comment. Are you supposed to have darker settings for the first 100 or so hours? Also can the LCD handle the high contrast 92 93 that are suggested here? I really like the settings by Evil4 THANK YOU!!! But I need to know about these questions before leaving it set there. My questions are from previous tv technology not LCD. I would like confirmation that it is not going to screw the tv up.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoquest View Post

I have two questions about bright and contrast if someone can comment. Are you supposed to have darker settings for the first 100 or so hours? Also can the LCD handle the high contrast 92 93 that are suggested here? I really like the settings by Evil4 THANK YOU!!! But I need to know about these questions before leaving it set there. My questions are from previous tv technology not LCD. I would like confirmation that it is not going to screw the tv up.

That only applies to plasm tech..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't see the value of having Contrast set to 93. On my 46, red begins clipping at 88.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM

I was not even sure how to get started with so many controls but on my set it looks really good. There are few things that are a little off but it looks almost 3D. The tints to some things do seem a little off but as a whole it is a really good picture. I have been afraid to raise the contrast. Once I did I was in total awe of what I saw. This 46 is so much better than everything I have seen it was inspiring. The strangest thing happened today though it went off and back on one time. I thought that was a little strange but maybe something with the satelite signal caused it.

Those levels were from evil4 the cnet is good too but to my eye evil4 seems well excellent with a few tint adjustments.

One other question why not use things like edge or 120hz or noise controls?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

IKeep in mind the "full black images" needed their brightness increased in Photoshop just to show that there is indeed a TV in there

Ah, that explains it; those images have a purple tint, but it was probably added by Photoshop.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was not even sure how to get started with so many controls but on my set it looks really good. There are few things that are a little off but it looks almost 3D. The tints to some things do seem a little off but as a whole it is a really good picture. I have been afraid to raise the contrast. Once I did I was in total awe of what I saw. This 46 is so much better than everything I have seen it was inspiring. The strangest thing happened today though it went off and back on one time. I thought that was a little strange but maybe something with the satelite signal caused it.

Those levels were from evil4 the cnet is good too but to my eye evil4 seems well excellent with a few tint adjustments.

One other question why not use things like edge or 120hz or noise controls?

Edge Enhancement and DNR set to Off is a good starting point for any setting/calibration. They cause more issues than provide benefit. AMP I feel is a matter of personal taste, I leave AMP (not tweaked through the Service Menu) on Low at all times. The CNET settings must be for cave viewing because they sure looked funky to me. But then I'm use to watching TV in a well lit room as I get eye strain otherwise.

I'm bouncing back and forth between HDMI Black Level set to Normal or Low. Low gives better natural color and blacks without the need for Dynamic Contrast or Black Level Adjust. But it is hard to reduce the amount of Back Light without making the picture too dark and getting Black Crush. Normal allows me to greatly reduce the Back Light but I have to use Dynamic Contrast and Black Level Adjust to make up the difference. With Normal I can also adust the Blacks just down to the level before hitting Black Crush. Also Normal supports all 4 of my sources while Low is only supported by 3 of the 4, so I tend to go with Normal.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:17 PM

I am not sure what black crush is. How would that look? The color from cnet is so realistic but evil4blue makes images on HD look like I could grab them. Do I just adjust until I get the right picture? I just can not get over how great the picture is. I like the low amp setting it makes things not as jerky when panning.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not sure what black crush is. How would that look? The color from cnet is so realistic but evil4blue makes images on HD look like I could grab them. Do I just adjust until I get the right picture? I just can not get over how great the picture is. I like the low amp setting it makes things not as jerky when panning.

Black Crush is the loss of detail in shadows, instead of seeing the differences in the various shades that should make up what is shadowed it all just clumps together in a sea of black.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just can not get over how great the picture is.

The 650 is incredible

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks Dayton I had no idea what that was
Old 05-03-2008, 04:38 PM

hi all,

I consistently use my PC VGA connection to hook up my home PC and do some work, but I've found that it's a bit unclear/blurry. I'm afraid this is due to the fact I'm using VGA rather than HDMI. But, maybe its a calibration issue. Has anyone here compared VGA to HDMI from their PC? If you have an HDMI out on your PC card, what video card do you use? I may get a new one.

- George
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM

I totally love the settings for MOVIE mode suggested here. However, I find many PS3 games lagging when played under MOVIE mode. Switching to GAME MODE fixes the lag, but I really hate how the colors and the general image looks. Anyone have suggestions? Can I change any settings in STANDARD or MOVIE MODE to fix the lag?

Much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskett32 View Post

I totally love the settings for MOVIE mode suggested here. However, I find many PS3 games lagging when played under MOVIE mode. Switching to GAME MODE fixes the lag, but I really hate how the colors and the general image looks. Anyone have suggestions? Can I change any settings in STANDARD or MOVIE MODE to fix the lag?

Much appreciated.

Try hooking up HDMI to the HDMi2 slot & name that input "PC" in the menu settings.
That might reduce some lag, MIGHT.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 AM

I will try that. Do the different HDMI ports produce different results? Currently I have the PS3 on HDMI3. I will switch it and see what happens.
Thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions please post.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM

IM trying all those setting but i cant fin the good one for my 32inch a650...
GTA4 seem so fad.... without color...
Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Liked: 11
Is there any downside to have my cable STB hooked into HDMI2? Or are all HDMI inputs on this set the same?

C
Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskett32 View Post

Much appreciated.

For absolutely lag free play you can't get around using Game Mode. One reason I don't like such "extreme" settings, Game Mode will look way too different from your normal viewing Mode. I have two different settings that I use under Standard Mode, one with HDMI Black Level Normal and one with HDMI Black Level Low, and luckily Game Mode doesn't differ too much in look from either.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil4blue View Post

I got my Blu Ray version of Digital Video Essentials in the mail and ran through the test patterns. Based on what I saw, my calibration settings are pretty much dead on. I did make a couple small adjustments with the basic settings. I'll attach my updated spreadsheet.

There 2 tabs, DVE is the new one. i1DL2 is the original.

What program do I use to open the file?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey9 View Post

What program do I use to open the file?

Excel or use google docs.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Hey guys, sorry for not posting here in a long time. Looks like i may the proud owner of a 650 again soon, So hit me up with a pm or let me know here what you want me to update on the first post.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Hi, znutz. Do you recommend the CNET settings over Evil4Blue's April 28th settings for people who are NOT affected by "Purple Haze"? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnGringo View Post

Hi, znutz. Do you recommend the CNET settings over Evil4Blue's April 28th settings for people who are NOT affected by "Purple Haze"? Thanks.

I recommend that you try both; better yet make up your own. I don't mean to be crass but THE BEST SETTINGS are ones that suit your particular liking. This is far better than any sort of "standard" setting set by myself, cnet, or evilblue. Tweak and adjust at will until what you see on the screen is beautiful in your own eyes.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Would you recommend and is it worth having a professional calibrator come in with his equipment and calibrate the TV and other video equipment?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the HDMI2 vs the other HDMI inputs on this set? Is there a difference since people say to use HDMI2 for pc and it is labeled differently in pre-selection names?

C
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa2000 View Post

... Is there a difference since people say to use HDMI2 for pc and it is labeled differently in pre-selection names?

C

In my 750 manual, the HDMI2 is for DVI -> HDMI. I think Sammy assumes PC users will use this connection because most PC cards are DVI.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivenone View Post

In my 750 manual, the HDMI2 is for DVI -> HDMI. I think Sammy assumes PC users will use this connection because most PC cards are DVI.

That being said, if I have 3 HDMI devices now, how would you assign them to the HDMI inputs?

Cable STB (HDMI)
PS3
Xbox360

Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-05-2008, 03:51 PM

If your interested in and HDMI AV receiver get the yamaha 6060.....I have my optimum cable box and PS3 hooked up seperatley (of course) via HDMI IN to the Yamaha and one HDMI OUT to the television. It makes everything much easier and icture quality is Excellent

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect