Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3905 Old 06-01-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One for game calibration which seems to dominate here and one for those of us that could care less about gaming that watch HDTV including sports and DVDs both Blu Ray and upconverted DVDs
I have a feeling there aren't enough of us to merit it but I hope I'm wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3905 Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Hello guys/gals

New here, my LN52A650 arrives on Wednesday, I have a couple of questions:

1. If my room lighting is mixed depending on time of day, and if I start off with the CNET callibrations as a base, what settings are the most important to change with regards to room lighting not being "dark".

2. For watching sports, does the sports mode work ok, or do you have to fiddle with the claibrations betweeen watching movies and sports (not a gamer)

3. DO you have to Calibrate the input for the DVD (using HDMI cables)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input
post #453 of 3905 Old 06-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

I played a bit of Persona 3 on my 52 650 via an 80gig PS3 this morning and it looked NICE. I turn upscaling on and "smoothing" off. I also use "Just Scan" on the 650 to keep it nice and sharp. It's certainly better than my old Sony LCD and Sammy DLP for PS2 gaming.

Awesome! I'll take note of your suggested settings.
post #454 of 3905 Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

Well, I watched my TV for a good number of hours last night with the CNET settings and it seemed to me that they have a very minor green push to them.

I agree; in fact, I would say it was a little more than minor. On some movies like The Orphanage, people appeared ill due to the yellow-green cast on their skin.
post #455 of 3905 Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombboy View Post

... is there any button or setting that will disable the display information from showing up whenever the source changes. It gets annoying having to hit 'Exit' when some devices load and what not.

Anyone?
post #456 of 3905 Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in here. I really like this TV and I haven't even bought it yet. Looking forward to bringing it home and calibrating it. This will be my first HD TV purchase. I've been holding off for a good price and a screen that my eyes can agree with. I could never bring myself to spend money on these TVs before because I'm real sensitive to a lot of the clouding, smear, flashlights and other artifacts that these TVs can produce. I came real close to getting an XBR4, but just didn't want to spend that much. Saturday night I saw this set right beside an XBR4 and knew that this is the one, especially because of the competitive price. I should be picking one up today.
post #457 of 3905 Old 06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What is the difference if any between Just Scan and 16:9 for viewing blu ray movies. Does it only affect 1.85:1 ratio movie by filling the screen? 2.35:1 are the same right? The users manual does not offer a plausible explanantion. Anyone? Thanks.
post #458 of 3905 Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

After running a calibration disk, the only thing I changed was the picture size from 16:9 to just scan as having it set to 16:9 chopped off some of the picture and added signal noise.

"just scan" is grayed out on my "cinema/Movie" settings....is there a reason for this?

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #459 of 3905 Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombboy View Post

Anyone?

I just wait a few seconds. It goes away by itself - no need to press any buttons.
post #460 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM

but but.... it gets in the way! I'm just being picky I guess ;o
post #461 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

"just scan" is grayed out on my "cinema/Movie" settings....is there a reason for this?

What is your source?

I had this happen to me with DirecTV and the channel as 480P as the source.
Once I changed the channel to a 1080i as the source, I was able to see the "Just Scan" as an option (not-greyed).
post #462 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Prior to applying the v2001.3 firmware update, I wrote down all of my settings, knowing full well, that the update would likely reset everything. At that point, all my set points were almost identical to the CNet settings. I had used the Avia calibration DVD and some really ancient gray scale gear I have left over from the days of CRTs. I was correct in that the firmware change did, in fact, wipe out my previous settings.

I put them all back in for my DVD player input (HDMI-1) and it all really looked quite awful! Obviously the firmware change had other effects than those listed by Samsung in their ReadMe file. So, I started from scratch and went through the entire process again. The results were very different from the first time around. I cannot, in my mind, account for all of the changes, but I am so happy with the results that I am just going to go with it...

I am going to put up an image of the numbers if any of y'all would like to try them out. One of the key changes is that previously the White Balance numbers were all over the place. Post update, a couple of them (Red and Green) moved one point each so I just left them all at 25 as the changes were not detectable to my eye and it's easier to go with the default setting. The other big change is that I did not have the Dynamic Contrast on and now it is set to LOW and the difference is profound! It's as though it just wasn't working properly before. It is a hair too high in a completely dark room, but the trade-off is fair and I very much like the consistent image and the excellent blacks. Also, Color Tone is pretty much spot-on for me using Cool-1 instead of Warm-1 where it was before.

Keep in mind that individual sets and components may vary quite a bit, so there's no guarantee that this will work for anyone else.

HDMI-1 is an OPPO DV-983H upscaling DVD player putting out 1080p

HDMI-2/DVI is an Xbox 360 also set to put out 1080p (A note here that when playing Gears of War, BioShock, Call of Duty 4, and Army of Two, the screen was completely free of judder, trailing or artifacts even when it looked like a fireworks display.)

Component-1 is an old Scientific Atlanta Cable Box that has DVI out but it's not HDCP compliant so I'm using a component conection.

Component-2 is an ILO DVDR-04 DVD recorder set to output 480p

Composite Video-1 is just the OSD (On Screen Display) for my Onkyo receiver so I didn't bother to calibrate it...I can read the info, so who cares?...

Enjoy!

-Toonces

Image Corrected for Post 100 Hours Results

-

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
post #463 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces T. Cat View Post

Prior to applying the v2001.3 firmware update, I wrote down all of my settings, knowing full well, that the update would likely reset everything. At that point, all my set points were almost identical to the CNet settings. I had used the Avia calibration DVD and some really ancient gray scale gear I have left over from the days of CRTs. I was correct in that the firmware change did, in fact, wipe out my previous settings.

I put them all back in for my DVD player input (HDMI-1) and it all really looked quite awful! Obviously the firmware change had other effects than those listed by Samsung in their ReadMe file. So, I started from scratch and went through the entire process again. The results were very different from the first time around. I cannot, in my mind, account for all of the changes, but I am so happy with the results that I am just going to go with it...

I am going to put up an image of the numbers if any of y'all would like to try them out. One of the key changes is that previously the White Balance numbers were all over the place. Post update, a couple of them (Red and Green) moved one point each so I just left them all at 25 as the changes were not detectable to my eye and it's easier to go with the default setting. The other big change is that I did not have the Dynamic Contrast on and now it is set to LOW and the difference is profound! It's as though it just wasn't working properly before. It is a hair too high in a completely dark room, but the trade-off is fair and I very much like the consistent image and the excellent blacks. Also, Color Tone is pretty much spot-on for me using Cool-1 instead of Warm-1 where it was before.

Keep in mind that individual sets and components may vary quite a bit, so there's no guarantee that this will work for anyone else.

HDMI-1 is an OPPO DV-983H upscaling DVD player putting out 1080p

HDMI-2/DVI is an Xbox 360 also set to put out 1080p (A note here that when playing Gears of War, BioShock, Call of Duty 4, and Army of Two, the screen was completely free of judder, trailing or artifacts even when it looked like a fireworks display.)

Component-1 is an old Scientific Atlanta Cable Box that has DVI out but it's not HDCP compliant so I'm using a component conection.

Component-2 is an ILO DVDR-04 DVD recorder set to output 480p

Composite Video-1 is just the OSD (On Screen Display) for my Onkyo receiver so I didn't bother to calibrate it...I can read the info, so who cares?...

Enjoy!

-Toonces

-

Thanks for posting. I'll have to try your settings as I'm not as happy with the PQ now that I've updated to 2001.3 as I was with 1003.M.
post #464 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a good setting that people are using for bright rooms? I tried CNET's settings along with a few others and they all felt too dark for my liking.

So far I actually prefer the standard setting over anything.
post #465 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRME 94 View Post

Thanks for posting. I'll have to try your settings as I'm not as happy with the PQ now that I've updated to 2001.3 as I was with 1003.M.

I used identical calibration procedures and the results were very different in terms of the numbers. If you compare the above to the CNet numbers you'll see it is a broad change in the settings.

-Toonces

-Archie Whippet
post #466 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Has anyone noticed since upgrading to 2001.3 that SD TV doesn't look as sharp as it did on 1003.M? Blu-Ray seems to be pinpoint accurate, but I'm not as happy with SD as I was. Maybe I'm just getting pickier.
post #467 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Has anyone noticed since upgrading to 2001.3 that SD TV doesn't look as sharp as it did on 1003.M? Blu-Ray seems to be pinpoint accurate, but I'm not as happy with SD as I was. Maybe I'm just getting pickier.

No, you're not being picky. All my Sharpness settings were at "0" with the 1003.M version and, if you'll look above, now with the v2001.3 they're all at "20" across the board with my SD sources.

-Toonces

-Archie Whippet
post #468 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 PM

so i know this is kind of an "anti-calibration" question but im wondering if there is any way to use the entertainment modes while connecting an xbox 360 via vga cable? manual says: entertainment settings not available in pc mode. im assuming you cant NOT have pc mode through vga, which sucks because i want 1080p and i dont have an hdmi enabled box...
post #469 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Strange question since I have not done any major calibration to mine "yet", are the Entertainment modes locked, or are they based off the main modes?

I guess what I'm asking is if you adjust your Standard, Movie, and Dynamic modes, do your Sports, Cinema, and Game modes PQ change, or do they stay the same? I don't really want to venture into the SM.
post #470 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybale View Post

...i want 1080p and i dont have an hdmi enabled box...

The Xbox 360 will output 1080p over the component connection to your monitor, but only for games...not for SD movie DVDs...

-Toonces

-Archie Whippet
post #471 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:

if you adjust your Standard, Movie, and Dynamic modes, do your Sports, Cinema, and Game modes PQ change

The other way around...
E-modes disable most Display options (all but the Picture Options menu -- screen size, noise reduction, etc.).
post #472 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

The other way around...
E-modes disable most Display options (all but the Picture Options menu -- screen size, noise reduction, etc.).

I know it disables the options, but that's not the really the question. Let me put some numbers to "PQ". Say you start with 4,5,6 before you calibrate. You "see" 4,5,6 on Movie, Standard, and Dynamic. You see 4e,5e,6e, when using the Entertainment modes. Now when you calibrate, you get 8,9,10 on Movie, Standard, and Dynamic. My question is, do you still have 4e,5e,6e, on the Entertainment modes, or do you now have 8e,9e,10e? Does changing one effect the other?
post #473 of 3905 Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM

Anyone as crazy as me to use the 46" as a pc monitor? I'm struggling to find the perfect calibration settings for it. Can anyone offer some advice?
post #474 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Say you start with 4,5,6 before you calibrate. You "see" 4,5,6 on Movie, Standard, and Dynamic. You see 4e,5e,6e, when using the Entertainment modes.

No, you don't. You don't even have the Movie, Standard, and Dynamic choices. You can either use an E mode or use Movie, Standard, or Dynamic.
post #475 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:

No, you don't. You don't even have the Movie, Standard, and Dynamic choices. You can either use an E mode or use Movie, Standard, or Dynamic.

I understand what you both are saying, but I still don't feel I'm getting my point across or my question answered. Let's put it this way: Counting Movie, Standard, Dynamic, then Sports, Cinema, and Game, you have 6 "setting" choices independent of each other. Does calibrating the PQ of the NON E-Modes effect the PQ of the E-modes after calibration in any way. Or would you have to essentially calibrate the E-modes in the SM (if that's possible?) in order to effect the PQ of the E-modes? I realize they are seperate modes while in use, but that doesn't mean necessarily mean changing settings to one doesn't effect another........I know the first 3 are independent of one another, I'm trying to determine if the other 3 are as well.

(If I still didn't get my question across, I give up on this one.....sorry guys)
post #476 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I understand what you both are saying, but I still don't feel I'm getting my point across or my question answered. Let's put it this way: Counting Movie, Standard, Dynamic, then Sports, Cinema, and Game, you have 6 "setting" choices independent of each other. Does calibrating the PQ of the NON E-Modes effect the PQ of the E-modes after calibration in any way. Or would you have to essentially calibrate the E-modes in the SM (if that's possible?) in order to effect the PQ of the E-modes? I realize they are seperate modes while in use, but that doesn't mean necessarily mean changing settings to one doesn't effect another........I know the first 3 are independent of one another, I'm trying to determine if the other 3 are as well.

(If I still didn't get my question across, I give up on this one.....sorry guys)

I understood but can't answer the question. I would love to hear the answer!
post #477 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Does calibrating the PQ of the NON E-Modes effect the PQ of the E-modes after calibration in any way.

Maybe you were just hoping for a different answer ; it would be nice to be able to manually adjust the calibration for E modes, I agree.

E-mode settings are independent of Movie/Standard/Dynamic settings. I don't know any other way to say that.

As far as I know, the E-modes are fixed/locked/static, no matter how Standard/Movie/Dynamic modes are calibrated, without professional or SM intervention. That is why many prefer not to use them, except Game mode when absolutely necessary.

You might want to try it out on a TV in the store. Change settings in Standard/Movie/Dynamic, then select an E-mode, and see what happens to the PQ settings (those that remain visible, though disabled). Then turn off the E-mode, change settings in Standard/Movie/Dynamic again, then re-select the same E-mode again, and see that the E-mode PQ settings are still the same as the first time, as if you never made any changes to Standard/Movie/Dynamic. If you actually saw it in person, I think you would understand better what I mean when I say you can have either Standard or Movie or Dynamic or Entertainment.

You might want to also call Samsung for confirmation, or maybe someone else here can correct me .
post #478 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM

As far as I can tell I don't think E mode inherits the user settings in Dynamic, Standard or Movie.
post #479 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM

Another way to verify this is to make a drastic White Balance change (turn down R-Gain to 1, for example) to produce an obvious tint, then select an E-mode, and note how the E-mode completely ignores the custom White Balance setting.
post #480 of 3905 Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Another way to verify this is to make a drastic White Balance change (turn down R-Gain to 1, for example) to produce an obvious tint, then select an E-mode, and note how the E-mode completely ignores the custom White Balance setting.

After reading your longer post above, I was thinking of doing just that. Changing something so drastic, that it would obvious in an E-mode if it was attached.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com