Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
also posted this in the owner's thread, but figured I may be better helped, putting it here as well. Sorry for the double-posting....

Curious if anyone else out here has the HD-A35 hooked up to the 650. I'd like to knwo what the proper way of setting it up would be. I can't seem to spot any difference in pq when i switch between Enhanced Black Level (on / off) and/or RGB Output Range(standard / enhanced) in the setup menu of the A35. Also, no matter what I do I can't get the HDMI Black Level (normal / low) option to unlock, when hooked to the Toshiba. I also don't know if I should set the xvYCC to on or off, I currently have it off.

Also, anyone out there with the 1003.M that may be using a DirecTV H20-100 HD STB, have any decent settings that look okay for both HD and SD. My HD normally looks stellar, but the SD look shoddy no matter what I do to it. I've been reading people describing their SD picture as 'outstanding' or 'magnificent' even and I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. I've noticed the DirecTV receiver runs a little lower than the other components to where the other stuff is set at brightness 43 and the HD receiver usually has to be bumped down to 41 or 40. Are there other things I'm not taking into account that need to be bumped up or down (ie- Sharpness, Edge Enhancement, etc)?

Any tips would be greatly appreaciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Hey Guys, I have had my tv for over 3 months now - its a solid television I was wondering if you can help me with two things:

1st: Does anyone have the original settings to the SM judder speeds etc etc - if not, If i reset the television will it go to the original settings? Does it matter what FM I have - Im pretty sure I have the lastest.

2nd: I have tried various calibrations and for some reason the current one I am on, when my screen goes black it does a sliding curtain effect (but horizontal) from light black to dark black then completely black do any of you have this effect - Im assuming its from the calibration but since I threw out all of my calibration settings that all of you who have posted I want to start from scratch and reset.

If you could help me out that would be great!

Thanks
post #723 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 AM

OK guys tell me the reasons why the new 2003 firmware is no good. The only thing I think it changed was the Amp strength. I had to put it on low after the upgrade and it still looks crazy sometimes. What else did the upgrade change?
post #724 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyKilowatt View Post

Curious if anyone else out here has the HD-A35 hooked up to the 650. I'd like to knwo what the proper way of setting it up would be. I can't seem to spot any difference in pq when i switch between Enhanced Black Level (on / off) and/or RGB Output Range(standard / enhanced) in the setup menu of the A35. Also, no matter what I do I can't get the HDMI Black Level (normal / low) option to unlock, when hooked to the Toshiba. I also don't know if I should set the xvYCC to on or off, I currently have it off.

Enhanced Black is for component connections.

The RGB Output Range setting doesn't seem to do anything for HD DVD players. The players send out video levels, and it is correct for HDMI Black Level to be locked out on the Samsung.

Leave xvYCC off, there is no content encoded for it, anyway. xvYCC support is nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #725 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxeMurderer View Post

OK guys tell me the reasons why the new 2003 firmware is no good. The only thing I think it changed was the Amp strength. I had to put it on low after the upgrade and it still looks crazy sometimes. What else did the upgrade change?

Well a while back someone posted that it changed some of the color values in the service menu. Which makes sense since a lot of us can't get as good of a picture with the 2003 firmware.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #726 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Set Sharpness to 0 and disable Edge Enhancement. Any jaggies you are seeing after that are source related.

I did this and it didn't help. It blurred the edges, but they are still there, now the overall picture is worse.

Thanks.
post #727 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Enhanced Black is for component connections.

The RGB Output Range setting doesn't seem to do anything for HD DVD players. The players send out video levels, and it is correct for HDMI Black Level to be locked out on the Samsung.

Leave xvYCC off, there is no content encoded for it, anyway. xvYCC support is nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Awesome, thanks for the help.
post #728 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Can I eliminate overscan in 16:9 mode using the service menus? The positioning of Just mode, which also eliminates overscan, changes to default when you switch between inputs which drives me nuts. Thanks!
post #729 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaber10 View Post

Hey Guys, I have had my tv for over 3 months now - its a solid television I was wondering if you can help me with two things:

1st: Does anyone have the original settings to the SM judder speeds etc etc - if not, If i reset the television will it go to the original settings? Does it matter what FM I have - Im pretty sure I have the lastest.

2nd: I have tried various calibrations and for some reason the current one I am on, when my screen goes black it does a sliding curtain effect (but horizontal) from light black to dark black then completely black do any of you have this effect - Im assuming its from the calibration but since I threw out all of my calibration settings that all of you who have posted I want to start from scratch and reset.

If you could help me out that would be great!

Thanks

1. The original SM firmware 1003.M settings are:

Judder Off: 32 (32 is off)
Lows: 16
Mediums: 13
Highs: 10

I don't know the values are in the other firmware versions. Someone posted the numbers in the 650 thread I believe...Or in this thread. I can't recall.

2. I haven't heard that affect before with any of the calibrations. What reset did you do?

Version #3: My (current) settings for Samsung LNxxA650
Let's make this clear: Calibration IS NOT synonymous with copying settings!
Join the Samsung LCD Owners Social Group! :)
post #730 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Well a while back someone posted that it changed some of the color values in the service menu. Which makes sense since a lot of us can't get as good of a picture with the 2003 firmware.

With any firmware version you can get a good picture. It's just a matter of adjusting the settings as you'd normally do with 1003.M.

post #731 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_B View Post

I did this and it didn't help. It blurred the edges, but they are still there, now the overall picture is worse.

Thanks.

What is it you are watching?

post #732 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmo0ve View Post

With any firmware version you can get a good picture. It's just a matter of adjusting the settings as you'd normally do with 1003.M.

Have you seen any 2003 settings posted anywhere? If not I might just downgrade to 1003 and give your settings a try.
post #733 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

I think there are some but I didn't bookmark them. Most of the settings don't list their firmware for some reason but I suspect they're adjusted with 1003.M or 2001.3 firmware. If I see any I'll send them your way.

Whichever settings you end up with you may need to tweak it as every TV is different, even with the same firmware version. After spending good money on your TV you want a picture that's not compromised or "just good enough". You want exceptional.

post #734 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Just got my set and I've tried yours and Cnets settings. Out of the box, and with both different settings my set seems VERY heavily shifted toward red. It's not like "hmm, the picture is maybe slightly warm". It's more like "man, everything seems redish". Is this a common issue? I'm new to calibrating this TV so where should I start tweaking?
post #735 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhigh View Post

Just got my set and I've tried yours and Cnets settings. Out of the box, and with both different settings my set seems VERY heavily shifted toward red. It's not like "hmm, the picture is maybe slightly warm". It's more like "man, everything seems redish". Is this a common issue? I'm new to calibrating this TV so where should I start tweaking?

Try a color of 40 to 45 and tint 28
post #736 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I don't know the values are in the other firmware versions. Someone posted the numbers in the 650 thread I believe...Or in this thread. I can't recall.

2. I haven't heard that affect before with any of the calibrations. What reset did you do?

Out of curiosity, do you know the steps or heading you'd go under to change those AMP settings in the SM? I plan on getting my set ISF'd the first week of september, and wanted to play around with these before hand so I can keep from going into the SM later and knocking the settings back to default. I wanna set it to Off-32, Low-24, Med-16, High-8 just to see if I notice any difference or improvement. I dig the AMP (1003.M) for certain stuff and usually leave it on Low while watching direcTV, but I've noticed that there doesn't appear to be much difference among the three settings from Low-High. Then again, it could just be a numbers thing, and I can finally admit to myself I have OCD. I dunno. I probally should have come up with this idea and tried it on the cloudy set I had yesterday before they dropped off my replacement set.

Also does anyone know or think that they will eventually implement contrast, brightness and backlight adjustment for the Entertainment modes via firmware. Seriously we gotta band together and call these cats on it, in hopes that they do. Obviously those universal settings are gonna cause conflict when viewed outside of the labs where they came up with them. If I could bump the brightness and backlight down some, I may actually use them. As it stands though it's a wasted feature and that sucks since that is one of the features boldly listed on the box. I'd hate to go ahead and pay the $300 to get this thing ISF'd only for a firmware to come along that allows for adjustment in the ENT modes.

Anyone with any service menu knowledge know if those Entertainment modes can be adjusted via the SM....two birds one stone.
post #737 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Some TVs push red, like mine did out of the box. Yours might be pushing red more than mine did. I suggest that you start out with the default Movie or Standard mode. Then start with Color and then Tint.

For each go far right and you'll notice more red. Then level it off by moving the bar to the left until you come up with something in the ballpark. The Color and Tint works hand-in-hand so you may need to go back and forth a bit. Next try the White Balance and adjust the red Offset if needed.

BTW, what source(s) are you viewing your TV with?

post #738 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyKilowatt View Post

Out of curiosity, do you know the steps or heading you'd go under to change those AMP settings in the SM? I plan on getting my set ISF'd the first week of september, and wanted to play around with these before hand so I can keep from going into the SM later and knocking the settings back to default. I wanna set it to Off-32, Low-24, Med-16, High-8 just to see if I notice any difference or improvement. I dig the AMP (1003.M) for certain stuff and usually leave it on Low while watching direcTV, but I've noticed that there doesn't appear to be much difference among the three settings from Low-High. Then again, it could just be a numbers thing, and I can finally admit to myself I have OCD. I dunno. I probally should have come up with this idea and tried it on the cloudy set I had yesterday before they dropped off my replacement set.

Also does anyone know or think that they will eventually implement contrast, brightness and backlight adjustment for the Entertainment modes via firmware. Seriously we gotta band together and call these cats on it, in hopes that they do. Obviously those universal settings are gonna cause conflict when viewed outside of the labs where they came up with them. If I could bump the brightness and backlight down some, I may actually use them. As it stands though it's a wasted feature and that sucks since that is one of the features boldly listed on the box. I'd hate to go ahead and pay the $300 to get this thing ISF'd only for a firmware to come along that allows for adjustment in the ENT modes.

Anyone with any service menu knowledge know if those Entertainment modes can be adjusted via the SM....two birds one stone.

I suggest not to go into the Service Menu unless you're only changing AMP. Professional calibrators won't need to go into the Service Menu to tune your TV unless they have to fix something that ordinarily you cannot in the User Menu. Samsung has enough tools in the User Menu to do what you want with regards to PQ.

In any case, check out these threads:

Directions

Handy info

post #739 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman690 View Post

Try a color of 40 to 45 and tint 28

I initially had my Color set between 42 and Tint at g62/r38. They worked pretty good. Here are two other settings I did.

post #740 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxeMurderer View Post

Have you seen any 2003 settings posted anywhere? If not I might just downgrade to 1003 and give your settings a try.

Yeah Toonces': http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14004348

I'm using it now. It's not bad, I'm just looking for something with no black adjust or dynamic contrast. Also would like more detailed color space and white balance settings.

PSN: Xandernojo
post #741 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderprime View Post

Yeah Toonces': http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14004348

I'm using it now. It's not bad, I'm just looking for something with no black adjust or dynamic contrast. Also would like more detailed color space and white balance settings.

It's still very stable with the 100 hour settings, For whoever asked, using the newest firmware (v2003.1) did mandate a significant change in my settings. After all was readjusted, however, I find it as pleasing to view, or even more so, than before. The biggest difference I have heard about between my set up and others using the same firmware is that most people are using Warm-1 or Normal for their Color Tone setting while I have found that Cool-1 works best for my set.

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
post #742 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces T. Cat View Post

IThe biggest difference I have heard about between my set up and others using the same firmware is that most people are using Warm-1 or Normal for their Color Tone setting while I have found that Cool-1 works best for my set.

-Toonces

Yup, my set is the same. Warm 1 and warm 2 is too red on my set. Cool 1 works for me too.

I'm just not sure if it was the firmware change that made the difference or it was just my set as I didn't spend enough time with 1003m.

PSN: Xandernojo
post #743 of 3905 Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:

BTW, what source(s) are you viewing your TV with?

Directv HR21-700 over HDMI through Yamaha RX-V663. The color is the same with and without the Yamaha over HDMI. I notice the same red color push over cable directly into the TV as well. I'll try your suggestions and let you guys know.
Thanks
post #744 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 AM

I was wondering how it is possible for some users of 1003.M to have the "SRU Surround Sound" on memory issue, while others don't?

That is the only thing keeping me from switching back to 1003.M from 2001.3
post #745 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0t3x View Post

I was wondering how it is possible for some users of 1003.M to have the "SRU Surround Sound" on memory issue, while others don't?

That is the only thing keeping me from switching back to 1003.M from 2001.3

I've been wanting to say this and now seems to be the opportune moment to do it. I had the "Surround" problem, so upgrading was not really an option for me. Now, I don't work for Samsung and I don't claim to have any special knowledge, but I am an EE and I do know that not every change made in many firmware updates is documented in the public release info. When I upgraded to v2003.1 all of my controls, just like everyone else's, were reset to the factory defaults contained in the new firmware. I simply started a recalibration from scratch...Yes, my settings are now quite different from what they were with the 1003.M version. Having said that, however, it doesn't imply that my image is any better, or any worse, than it was with the earlier version. It is just calibrated on a different baseline that Samsung has coded into the firmware update. Prior to the update my display looked pretty good with the CNet settings (plus very minor tweaking) and now it looks, IMHO, even better with my new settings.

You know, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." still holds true I suppose. If you are happy with the image you're getting with the 1003.M version and you're not having other issues, then leave it alone. If, however, you do upgrade...for whatever reason...then do a scratch recal and unless the new firmware has extended an error beyond the range of your set's particular controls, then why on earth would you want to downgrade the firmware?

I'm sorry, but unless something is preventing you from achieving an accurate set up, why would you not want the latest...and probably best...version of your set's firmware in place?

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
post #746 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 PM

I watch over the air HD, I have a PS3 that I watch Blu-Ray and DVD's, I have HD satellite. All three sources look like crap.
post #747 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Here's a few shots of my new 46a650 just delivered from Amazon. I'm using a variation of bpmurr's/cnet settings...simply outstanding pq quality from what I've watched so far. Pics were taken with an old 3 megapixel canon, gamma is at +3 and backlight is at 4.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
post #748 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Oooh, a peanut!

post #749 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Directv HR21-700 over HDMI through Yamaha RX-V663. The color is the same with and without the Yamaha over HDMI. I notice the same red color push over cable directly into the TV as well. I'll try your suggestions and let you guys know.
Thanks

I forgot to add you may also need to adjust the R-gain. While I have mine set to 29 after a few tweaks with some of the other settings I was able to set it to 18 while keeping color consistency.

post #750 of 3905 Old 07-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:

thanks for the input - I got the originals from Rivolt but thanks for the reply and no i haven't done a reset - but there is a reset so im presumming that its a reset for the entire tv?! Maybe if not - Ill use those originals (defaults) to calibrate my tv with some new settings!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page