Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3905 Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisureg View Post

I just wanted to thank all of you guys posting your calibrations... it has helped me a ton.

Question - for the CS Table the above has "5" for blue/blue where as evil and znutz both have "50". Was this a mistake on the Podols part?

Also where can I find what firmware I have?

Thx guys

Not a mistake, every tv is different and calibration numbers will be different. In truth the color space settings don't really skew the colors all that much, they're more like a little nudge in the right direction. A blue of 5 is not a whole lot different than a blue of 50. 50 just means a little more saturated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3905 Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 PM

I have come across many "qualified" people on AVS. For anyone who is even close to thinking about home calibration, read this piece first. I can't say I was too surprised reading it, but I am glad I did. http://www.tweaktv.com/terry-s-tips/...libration.html
post #183 of 3905 Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 PM

quick question from a newb: Why is my hdmi black level always greyed out.

I have both PS3 and DTV box connected via hdmi.

I am trying to test the settings posted by evil4Blue
post #184 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckeyc View Post

quick question from a newb: Why is my hdmi black level always greyed out.

I have both PS3 and DTV box connected via hdmi.

I am trying to test the settings posted by evil4Blue

I believe that the hdmi black level option only becomes active when it detects a source the is capable of doing full range RGB. You should be able to select the option when using the PS3 or a PC, since both can do either full range or limited range RGB. The DTV box is only capable of limited RGB and thusly grays out the option.

BTW, I believe Normal means Full Range (0-255) and Low mean Limited (15-235).
post #185 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

I have modified Evil's Settings to add a little more widespread usability.

Samsung LNxxA650 Calibration Settings

They are to be used with TV, Playstation 3/Blu-Ray, & PC.

Let me know what you think.

Znutz I will print out your settings tonight - and see how they stack up with others - as I have tried other calibrations and they aren't that bad.

I am running the new firmware 1003 M as I had my television turn on and off but not no more

I will let you know what i think - thanks again for your easy to read calibrations
post #186 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have modified Evil's Settings to add a little more widespread usability.

They are to be used with TV, Playstation 3/Blu-Ray, & PC.

Let me know what you think.

Update: Adjusted Settings for Firmware 1003.M

I've tweaked the settings over the weekend to what I feel are the best for all around viewing. They are absolutely gorgeous on PS3 and Blu-Ray as well as watching over-the-air HDTV.

Most notable changes from my last settings are those to colors. I felt Evil's were "correct" but they seemed washed out and didn't let the beast breathe. I increased "color" on each input and accounted for "native" color space on TV. Also, tint was adjusted accordingly.

You'll see I changed PC settings to "Dynamic." The outcome was stunning! I'm still trying to circumvent the red "bleeding" that occurs when using the A650 as a PC Monitor. When HDMI/DVI input 2 is in PC mode, the TV greys out most features which creates spectacular contrast and color but it does take on a sort of "bleeding" on the color red. If anyone can help (I'm thinking a video card adjustment) it would be appreciated.

Sumary The adjusted settings have convinced me that this is indeed the perfect TV.

Enjoy!

post #187 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Uping the color should definitely provide more pop, I did my calibration by the book and the color values I came up with are basically dead on with the CIE color chart.

Personally, I don't like supersaturated color, but hey everyone's viewing tastes are different.

BTW, I like your settings sheet. Makes things nice and clear.
post #188 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM

To all of you who have posted calibration numbers for the 650, THANK YOU.

Those, in conjunction with the DVE Blu-Ray disc have really helped me tune in my picture. More tweaking will be done I'm sure, but this forum has been particularly helpful.
post #189 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 PM

I probably already know the answer to this, but has anyone dared to enter these calibration numbers in the Service Menu, Expert Settings? If so, any difference in the picture? I don't mind fiddling around in the SM, but I really don't want to jack with the Expert Settings until I know for sure I won't eff anything up.
post #190 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM

I went into the SM - fiddled around with what Podol set up I think it was him if not sorry not giving credit to the person who should be accredited for it.

He maxed out his amp - I tried his maxed out amp calibration and all I got with more artificiating so I ended up leaving it to what he had before he maxed it out.

Not default but the first settings they look great.

Znut - I just printed out your cali's right now - will post tomorrow night when I get to work!

BTW Znut - When I change from TV to PS3 will the settings from TV be there or b/c its another input the settings will keep on its respective Input (Settings with Tv will not be settings for PS3) when I use HDMI input?
post #191 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

I play a lot of Halo3 and am looking for some setting recommendations that you think would be best specifically for gaming. I have seen the calibration settings posted by Podol and Evil, and I'm wondering if those are ideal for gaming or if anyone has some suggestions for best gaming settings for Halo 3.
post #192 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamente View Post

I play a lot of Halo3 and am looking for some setting recommendations that you think would be best specifically for gaming. I have seen the calibration settings posted by Podol and Evil, and I'm wondering if those are ideal for gaming or if anyone has some suggestions for best gaming settings for Halo 3.

Any of the posted settings should be fine for gaming. If you find the screen a little dark, try turning on dynamic contrast to low or medium. You can also up the back light a notch of two. You may need to adjust the brightness control if you decide to up the back light.
post #193 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaber10 View Post

BTW Znut - When I change from TV to PS3 will the settings from TV be there or b/c its another input the settings will keep on its respective Input (Settings with Tv will not be settings for PS3) when I use HDMI input?

The TV saves settings for each of the inputs separately; TV will keep for TV and HDMI will keep for HDMI.

Hope this helps!
post #194 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody use Dynamic mode instead of Standard or Movie mode, so you can take advantage of the DNle?
Dynamic seems to be the only mode where DNle can be turned on.
post #195 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 PM

Here is some pics I just took using evil's modified settings posted by znuts. Keep in mind that 1)I don't know how to take pics, lol and 2) I'm using an old 3.1 camera. I was using Podol's settings for awhile and just decided to change. Honestly, you can't really go wrong choosing either or. The only thing I adjusted was the backlight which is set at 6 and the black level set at low.

post #196 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Oh these pics are taken from blurays by the way.
post #197 of 3905 Old 04-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Update: Adjusted Settings for Firmware 1003.M

I've tweaked the settings over the weekend to what I feel are the best for all around viewing. They are absolutely gorgeous on PS3 and Blu-Ray as well as watching over-the-air HDTV.

Most notable changes from my last settings are those to colors. I felt Evil's were "correct" but they seemed washed out and didn't let the beast breathe. I increased "color" on each input and accounted for "native" color space on TV. Also, tint was adjusted accordingly.

You'll see I changed PC settings to "Dynamic." The outcome was stunning! I'm still trying to circumvent the red "bleeding" that occurs when using the A650 as a PC Monitor. When HDMI/DVI input 2 is in PC mode, the TV greys out most features which creates spectacular contrast and color but it does take on a sort of "bleeding" on the color red. If anyone can help (I'm thinking a video card adjustment) it would be appreciated.

Sumary The adjusted settings have convinced me that this is indeed the perfect TV.

Enjoy!

Why is "film mode" always greyed out, even with PS3 and bluray?
post #198 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 AM

Ok i didn't realize but my pics are using znuts first modified settings, NOT his latest one.
post #199 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
nice pics ak808, Los Simpsons never looked so good. I'm looking forward to getting the 46" set and I'm saving a few of your guys settings to mess around with when I get the set.
post #200 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapiocaMilkTea View Post

Film mode is for 30fps material. It does the reverse 3:2 pulldown to get back the original 24fps. Film mode is source dependant and won't ever be selectable on blu ray since it's already 24fps. Tune you tv to a channel like TNTHD, while a movie is playing and check the film mode option. Also, I think it only works on 1080i or 480i material, but I'm not 100% on that.
post #201 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak808 View Post

Oh these pics are taken from blurays by the way.

Gorgeous!
post #202 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to go pick up my 52" either tonight or tomorrow (hope tonight). I currently have the 46" using Evils settings, which I like because of the natural looks of the picture. I will give znutz settings a shot also.

Mosh~~
post #203 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapiocaMilkTea View Post

Film Mode is only available as an option when the TV is receiving interlaced material: 480i or 1080i. It is used to modify the operation of the deinterlacer. When you send it progressive material, like 480p, 720p, 1080p/60 or 1080p/24, that option is not available, since there is no need for the TV to perform deinterlacing.

CLau
post #204 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM

I should be getting my updated version (blu ray) of DVE (Digital Video Essentials) next week. I'll run through it and tweak my calibration data as needed. I do have the original dvd version of the disk and my settings seem kosher with it, but I wanted to check it againt an HD source to be sure. Of course, when I'm done, I'll share my results.

I'm happy that these setting seem to be pretty universal. I was a little worried when I saw how different they were from Podol's that each panel would be significantly different and the WB and color space settings wouldn't be universal at all.
post #205 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Znutz thanks for the settings - they look great - I had to tone down the backlight for some reason I see some clouding but ill look again - My tv isn't in my room at the moment but in the basement living room instead - to lazy to move it back to my room but just wanted to say that that settings look awesome - Im going to check out the SM to see if I can make my amp make the images "POP" or be soap opera for some reason I like that but we'll see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again,

G
post #206 of 3905 Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrustar View Post

To all of you who have posted calibration numbers for the 650, THANK YOU.

Those, in conjunction with the DVE Blu-Ray disc have really helped me tune in my picture. More tweaking will be done I'm sure, but this forum has been particularly helpful.

hrustar (or anyone) how did you find the DVE disc. I used it...to the exclustion of others settings...but find that im not to 100% yet.

Of course one problem is that I rented it from netflix and thus did not get the color filter that is supposed to come with it.
post #207 of 3905 Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiVoLT View Post

Ok guys, I went through the DVE Bluray and I've only configured 'Standard' mode using PS3 - HDMI. It turns out that my settings are veryyy close to what 'Podol' the Korean guy said. Right now I am at work so I'll post my settings later this evening when I get home.

I do highly recommend aquiring the DVE Bluray off Big River its sub $20 and definitely worth keeping just cause firmware updates or power outages can potentially clear your settings. Of course you can write down your settings but it never hurts to have the disc on hand just in case.

Anyways I'll see what you guys think after I post my settings.

-RiVoLT

RiVoLT,
Still waiting on those settings
Got them ready?

Thanks.
post #208 of 3905 Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Does anybody use Dynamic mode instead of Standard or Movie mode, so you can take advantage of the DNle?
Dynamic seems to be the only mode where DNle can be turned on.

Nobody?
post #209 of 3905 Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Doesn't DNIe only work on SD-interlaced material?
post #210 of 3905 Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil4blue View Post

Doesn't DNIe only work on SD-interlaced material?

No, DNIe (digital natural image engine) is meant for making the picture even better, it's meant for any souce material. I remember on my 71 you could actually use it in standard mode. You actually had to use it to enable the detailed settings (if i remember correctly, regardless you could use it in modes other than dynamic). And in the 650's its actually an updated version called DNIe plus. I just dont see why they locked it out in all the other modes except dynamic.
http://product.samsung.com/dnie/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page