Windows Gaming LCDs: Does 60hz negate the benefits of a quick response time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

As I understand it, if you connect an LCD display to a Windows computer, the computer will output a 60hz signal to that display.

Many LCDs have very quick response times, even some in the 2ms range, and some even have 120hz video processing for film sources, but when connected to the computer, the monitors refresh rate will always be 60hz.

My question is: Does that mean the computer will only send out 60 frames a second? Would a 2ms response time specifically made for high-speed gaming be rendered pointless because the computers output is always 60hz?

(I understand the Refresh Rates don't really apply to LCDs, but why does the setting appear, and what does that 60hz setting affect?)

Thanks,
-guyinco6nito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinco6nito View Post

Would a 2ms response time specifically made for high-speed gaming be rendered pointless because the computers output is always 60hz?

not necessarily since the advertised 2ms response time isn't what would likely be calculated under real world or lab test conditions. just like the advertised contrast ratio isn't a real accurate measure. even if your PC is sending a 60Hz signal, the TV itself still adds in extra time for processing. Even if the pixels themselves can switch at 2ms, the tv still has to process the signal, scale it (if applicable), etc.

i wouldn't worry about it too much and just do as much research as you can on this forum to find the right tv/monitor for your criteria.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, even LCD HDTVs that double as PC monitors, like the Samsungs, those tend to do a fairly decent job with Windows games, supposedly. I have yet to test that out, but it seems like Samsung builds in their LCD PC monitor technology into their LCD HDTVs fairly well, imho, from what I've been seeing of late.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

You know, I loved gaming on CRTs, because when a CRT was set to 120hz, it was actually displaying 120 frames a second and I could certainly see the difference between that and 60hz. Sure my monitor died after a few years from being pushed that hard...but I built a computer to play CounterStrike at 100fps, and I wanted to see those frames! :-)

I suppose I'll wait on buying an LCD for gaming, because it seems like all of the current generation are expecting a 60hz signal from a computer.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) no matter how quick a response time an LCD panel provides, if it's connected to a computer over a 60hz display adapter, it's only getting 60 frames per second, and since I've built a gaming rig to play at 100 frames a second, I would very much like to see them.

Thanks,
-guyinco6nito
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM

The refresh rate and the 'response time' are two completely separate beasts.

The refresh rate specifies how many times a new image is sent to the TV. A 60Hz refresh rate means the TV gets a new image from the computer every 60 seconds.

The response time is how long it takes the TV to display the new image after getting it. In reality, these times measure only a portion of the time required for this process. There is more time for things like processing the data to be displayed at the correct resolution, etc. If the TV has a game mode, it likely removes some of this processing to shorten this time.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmichal View Post

The refresh rate and the 'response time' are two completely separate beasts.

The refresh rate specifies how many times a new image is sent to the TV. A 60Hz refresh rate means the TV gets a new image from the computer every 60 seconds.

The response time is how long it takes the TV to display the new image after getting it. In reality, these times measure only a portion of the time required for this process. There is more time for things like processing the data to be displayed at the correct resolution, etc. If the TV has a game mode, it likely removes some of this processing to shorten this time.

60Hz refresh rate= a new frame from the PC to the display every 1/60th of a second

Good question though and might be a good selling point for 120Hz TV's if applicable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page