Why have kitchen sized TVs vanished? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was going to tell you that there is a thread here for an 80" set...

but that's when i thought you wanted a set the size of a small kitchen.

[it was funny reading all those posts from the guy who really cared about what you wanted. oh well.]

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for this post. I have been looking for pretty much the same thing. (guess I like killing the America that we all know and love Kansas Beachboy, though you might consider that a good percentage of the population just might have your opinion of this entire site). I just want to duplicate what is running on my main set in the living room for when I am washing dishes or we are cooking, so as long as it can take 1080i I am good. I will have to slide by CVS.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you looked into displays intended for automotive use? Small widescreen monitors are all over the place in the 12V world.
post #64 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

How about one of these units?

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lc...30w-lcd-tv.htm
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...?model=15lv505
http://www.amazon.com/Auria-EQ1688-1.../dp/B001T9J6RE

If you don't like them, then you may be stuck using a converter;

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/cotohd.html
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/componenttodvi.html
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/componenttovga.html

There are lots of converter options available to convert the component to a format suitable for almost any display you chose.

Peter
post #65 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thanks Peter. I've already been using a Key Digital high quality component to VGA converter (costs more than the monitor!) up until now and that does indeed work.

I saw the Viewsonic once at a store and wasn't impressed but that could be because they hadn't adjusted it well. It also is generally $100 more dollars.

The Toshiba I saw once and liked the image. I wasn't thrilled that it had a DVD
drive in it I'd never use and it didn't have both component and HDMI inputs so a no go for me.

That Auria unit may be the exact same guts as the Craig unit I just bought at CVS but costs about $20 more and I'm content for now.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #66 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Have you looked into displays intended for automotive use? Small widescreen monitors are all over the place in the 12V world.

Yes, I have. Almost all of them are low resolution, not even reaching SD quality resolution, but that may change when automotive Bluray drives and ATSC M/H HDTV gets released hopefully next year.

If 8.9" were large enough I probably would have been content with this one.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #67 of 81 Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Sorry if this already been posted, but this Coby looks promising. Only a 140 bucks, too. Crap, I might get one for that much...

First googled link for "15 inch widescreen monitor component input", btw.
post #68 of 81 Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone still reading this thread and need a little TV with component inputs? I just bought a killer 13" one at CVS, on sale for $99 this week (so act fast). It is an RCA DECK133R.

Cons:

- Extreme viewing angle sensitivity. [must be TN technology] If you need to view from more than one fixed position, this TV isn't for you. Thankfully it comes with a tilting base and "swivel" is by rotating the whole product. VESA 100 holes allow professional mounts too.
- Sound is tinny, but what do you expect for a 13in TV? (I use outboard sound so I don't care)
- Very simplistic manual image controls and presets (warm, cool, standard, personal) have limited use. You can control the levels of R,G,B from 1 to 255 ,but other than that there are no controls for sharpness*, brightness*, contrast*, or overscan.
- On the component input I tested, there are 5 pixels cropped off each side edge, and 2 off both the top and bottom with a 1080i signal. Not too bad.
- Non-defeatable electronic edge enhancement, but not over the top in its level.
- Mild black crush but I've never seen an LCD that had none
- Mild red push but you can correct for it.
- No way to hide component input wires on the side since they aren't recessed

Pros:

-The aspect ratio is correct, unlike the stupid 13 inch Coby I tried and returned immediately from CVS a few years ago. Circles are circles.
-Sharp image , I suspect a 768x1368 panel. The horizontal resolution is around 700-720 lines per picture height using a cable TV HDNET/Zenith test pattern.
-On axis viewing is generally good
- LCD motion blur seems quite mild, and acceptable to me, compared to most 32 to 40 inch LCDs I see at Best Buy that I can't stand, yet I suspect the claimed response time is rather poor, based on the earlier version I can find specs for (16ms?! YUCK!) I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, though!
-LED (and quite low power consumption) with little edge bleeding, but that may vary set to set.
-DC 12 V input for car (no car cord supplied)
-DVD player built in [ almost a con for me since I hardly ever use them since they aren't HD, and it makes the TV thicker, heavier, and more expensive. There's no digital audio out though.]
-Lots of connectivity. RF, QAM tuner, fast scanning, best OTA sensitivity I've seen (since it is the newest chip I own), fancy GUI, VGA in, HDMI, composite, USB, everything but S-video really.
- You can defeat "auto" DLC and 3DNR circuits

It's a keeper.

*DOH! It does have these, as well as "Color". I must have missed them. They only show/engage if you select "personal" mode. The edge enhancement can be backed down with the sharpness, too. Hurray!

post #69 of 81 Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Anyone still reading this thread and need a little TV with component inputs? I just bought a killer 13" one at CVS, on sale for $99 this week (so act fast). It is an RCA DECK133R.

Pros:

-Lots of connectivity. RF, QAM tuner, fast scanning, best OTA sensitivity I've seen (since it is the newest chip I own), fancy GUI, VGA in, HDMI, composite, USB, everything but S-video really.

The Deck133R is a black friday doorbuster at CVS. Can I use this out of the box to get network channels? Or will I need some old rabbit ears or another antenna? Do this have a coax input?
post #70 of 81 Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Like all TVs it needs an antenna to receive OTA transmissions, however they don't supply any for you.[It has a standard RF "F pin" coax connector for an antenna or cable feed, as would be expected.

Based on your location, terrain, elevation, etc one can learn about what style of antenna will work best in a particular situation at antennaweb.org. If you require a directional one, which helps pick up weaker and more distant broadcasts, you may need to re-aim it per channel if all the transmitters aren't from the same direction.

I have good results with the "silver sensor" antenna design made by Philips and other companies.
zero_x3 likes this.

post #71 of 81 Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I remember that 23" set. It was quite nice. I think there was a 17" version as well, IIRC. Yet two more examples that Sony has decided no longer should exist. [They only make TVs 26" or larger these days, I believe].

You're blaming Sony for only making TV's that the market will actually buy? The reason you do not see small HDTV's like this is due to lack of demand by the general public. If a specific product does not sell, you can't expect the OEM to continue production.
post #72 of 81 Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, poor sales must be why Sony no longer even makes the 26 inch TVs . Of their current 2012-2013 line up, the smallest is now 32 inch. Thanks for explaining that whole "supply vs. demand" thing to me. Very interesting.rolleyes.gif

I guess maybe the real problem is me thinking a 32 inch won't fit in my kitchen, say sitting on my counter top, mounted to the frig door, or tucking under a shelf, rather than Sony simply not catering to my particular "esoteric" needs.

post #73 of 81 Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks for explaining that whole "supply vs. demand" thing. Very interesting.

You're welcome - it is a pretty radical concept.... biggrin.gif
post #74 of 81 Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sure am glad RCA doesn't agree there's no market for TV's smaller than 32 inch. I really dig mine and recommend anyone needing such a set to try to nab one, today, black Friday, at that $88 price zero_x3 pointed out.

post #75 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Hi m. zillch:

Thank you for your review of the RCA DECK133R. I've been looking for a
12v type television for emergency OTA use. I checked the RCA website
but couldn't find a manual. They don't seem to list any. Anyways I was
wondering if you could expand on a couple of areas. One is the signal
meter and the other is the EPG. Does the signal meter give a dynamic
indication of the signal strength? Is it numerical or just a horizontal
bar graph? Also how is the EPG? Does it give just a title of the
current program or is there also a description provided. Also does it
extend for a few hours ahead as well? If so how far?

Thanks
post #76 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I almost never use the tuner built in, I more typically use this set as a monitor for my cable box, however I have an antenna attached [Philips brand Silver Sensor indoor style] and have examined it briefly in order to answer your questions.

The signal strength meter is a 3 segment, multi-color bar graph with an accompanying word description to its side. Red=Bad, yellow=normal, and green=good. Not ideal for antenna aiming, no, but the great sensitivity is far better than I've ever seen [most likely because this is the most modern tuner chip of any set I've owned, meaning all 2012 designed TVs would most likely be similar] . It is dynamic in that I have seen it change from "bad" to "normal" while staying on the same station, however I don't know how frequently it updates its status. The "Autoscan" also isn't painstakingly slow as it was on some of my older, pre-2012 sets.

The EPG will give a detailed description of the show if the provider has included one. It seems to extend to the rest of the day, until midnight, and then stops. [or maybe what I am experiencing is it showing what occurs in the next 12 hours, or so?, considering it is now 11:15 AM]

post #77 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi again:

Thanks for replying. One of the things that would be useful in such a unit would be as a signal meter to help me aim my antenna in the attic. It is unfortunate that its signal meter is so simplistic. The EPG is useful. I'm guessing that it only gives a title/description for the current program and just a title for upcoming programs? Also are you able to manually enter NEW channels or do you have to do a total scan to get new channels into the channel list?

Thanks
m. zillch likes this.
post #78 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeter105 View Post

One of the things that would be useful in such a unit would be as a signal meter to help me aim my antenna in the attic. It is unfortunate that its signal meter is so simplistic
Yes, I guessed as much. I would recommend consulting detailed maps which show the exact direction the transmitters are from your location and using a compass [correcting for the deviation from true north known to exist where you live]. Detailed maps can be obtained at antennaweb.org, at least for US stations, not sure about where you live:

http://antennaweb.org/

The program guide shows detailed info, even a few sentences long in some circumstances after you hit "enter", for shows coming up within the next 12 hours or so. I now, having left my set on for the past 2 hrs, see show listings, complete with detailed descriptions (where provided) even into tomorrow.

post #79 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, it looks like postal codes don't work at that site and I don't know what organization you can turn to for the same sort of info, but here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/bigmap.htm
" Big map"

post #80 of 81 Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As best as I can tell, you can't enter in a channel manually that wasn't found in the last autoscan, sorry.

post #81 of 81 Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Hi again:

Thanks once again for answering my questions. Also thanks for pointing out the antennaweb website. Actually I wanted the meter to be able to hunt for hotspots in my attic and other places for different channels. You'd be amazed at how much the signal varies at different locations in an attic. Also being able to scan an rf channel that is not in the memory list would be needed as well. Once again thanks for answering my questions.

Regards/Peter
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page