Why have kitchen sized TVs vanished? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I want a flat panel (LCD or OLED I assume) kitchen sized widescreen HDTV with component inputs. If I have to have a built-in DVD player or other device I won't use I'll still consider it. ATSC/QAM would be nice but component ins is a must. By kitchen size I mean 7" diagonal to 15" diagonal (15" with an aspect ratio of 4x3 is a no go so please don't suggest that one.) I find odd ball products like laptops that have these screen sizes so I know the LCD panels exist.

Am I the only guy in the world who wants a small TV for a small kitchen? They don't seem to exist and I can't figure out why.

Oh one more thing, the screen must have a native resolution of 480p (480x800 kind of size) at the bare minimum.
Portable DVD players with LCD panels of lower resolutions than that really annoy me because it is impossible to read the credits at the end of a movie. I think they are typically 234x480 by the by.

Thanks people.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The new Sony OLED is 11"
I think it's going for $2500+ though.
wtfer is offline  
post #3 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ResOGlas is offline  
post #4 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Newbie
 
Droosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Droosh is offline  
post #5 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Sorry, three strikes guys:

Sony's 11" comes close but it's not a flat panel in the sense that it can be wall mounted; it's 5.6 inches deep and more importantly lacks component in. HDMI is nice but I won't consider units without component in.

The B&O Beovision 8 isn't 8 inches; it's 32" diagonal. I want 15" max.

Target's Audiovox lacks component input too. According to this it doesn't have any inputs other than Ant.

Anyone else?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #6 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Newbie
 
ukitali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-VE927...im_dbs_e_img_3
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-VE102...7335849&sr=1-1

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you need but there really isn't a huge range of options for very small widescreen TVs.
ukitali is offline  
post #7 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ʇuoɯɹ
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
walmart and most of the big box stores have polaroid (16x9), element (16x10), etc hdtvs in 15" sizes.
they're cheapos but they may be what you're looking for.
i use a 19" element hdtv in my kitchen for news, mash, just general stuff, also as a pc monitor. its great for those purposes. it also has component video inputs.

i also have an audiovox portable dvd player with 10" sd 16x9 screen and auxilary a/v inputs (no component ins, tho-and the res is too low). teamed up with a cable connected old vcr as a tuner, i get all my sd channels on it.
westgate is offline  
post #8 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/03/l...-refrigerator/

this is what I have in my kitchen. Inputs for a dvd player AND I have it connected to a Directv box. Best part, the LCD is HD

Pass me the OJ and ESPN news please
Suzook is offline  
post #9 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Jeff McCurrach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Copley, Ohio
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spent 3 months on the same quest.

I triedtwo different 15 inch LCD tvs (Samsung, Sylvania) both had lousy PQ (noise, low brightness, etc.), and took up a lot of counter space.

I came across the Audiovox 12" previously mentioned at a Target store. Its a combo swing down 12' lcd screen, with DVD and radio.

Surprising better PQ than the 15"s I tried, although still a bit challenged on brightness it looks quite good. Since it's in the Kitchen, all I wanted to do was hook up to cable. It has a QAM tuner so I get unscrambled HD on 5 channels without the need of a box.

I'm not hooking anything else up to it, so I the lack of HDMI didn't bother me.

In any case it was the best option I found under 15" for a good picture and full cable tuning. Also, the only good option with a 16:9 screen.

BurgerJeff
Jeff McCurrach is offline  
post #10 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McCurrach View Post

I tried two different 15 inch LCD tvs (Samsung, Sylvania) both had lousy PQ (noise, low brightness, etc.), and took up a lot of counter space.

I assume neither were 16x9, every 15" I've come across isn't. At least I can believe they had component inputs, no one else seems to understand that I need this. TV's without won't work for my whole house
component HD video distribution system.

The Audiovox antenna in only units would work if I can find an ATSC RF modulator that takes component HD in and modulates it to an ATSC or QAM frequency. I'm guessing such things are thousands of dollars and the bulk of a cable box which is what I don't want. I seek just a flat panel on the wall, or maybe a flip down, but no extra boxes.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #11 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I want a flat panel (LCD or OLED I assume) kitchen sized widescreen HDTV with component inputs. If I have to have a built-in DVD player or other device I won't use I'll still consider it. ATSC/QAM would be nice but component ins is a must. By kitchen size I mean 7" diagonal to 15" diagonal (15" with an aspect ratio of 4x3 is a no go so please don't suggest that one.) I find odd ball products like laptops that have these screen sizes so I know the LCD panels exist.

Am I the only guy in the world who wants a small TV for a small kitchen? They don't seem to exist and I can't figure out why.

Oh one more thing, the screen must have a native resolution of 480p (480x800 kind of size) at the bare minimum.
Portable DVD players with LCD panels of lower resolutions than that really annoy me because it is impossible to read the credits at the end of a movie. I think they are typically 234x480 by the by.

Thanks people.




Planning on reading many movie credits on a 7-15" LCD in the kitchen?

Kitchen TV's haven't disappeared, you obviously haven't looked at any major retailer. Everybody and their brother makes an LCD at 15-19" aimed at the kitchen user. Sony, Sharp, Magnavox, you name it. Most of the 15" you are going to find are not widescreen, though I can't see why this matters so much to you at that size. You can't deal with a 1 inch black bar?

If you can't fit a 19" in there, that is one small area.
googleme7 is offline  
post #12 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

Planning on reading many movie credits on a 7-15" LCD in the kitchen?

PQ is very important to me. Sub WVGA quality really annoys me; not being able to read credits on a low resolution design was just an example.

Quote:


Kitchen TV's haven't disappeared, you obviously haven't looked at any major retailer. Everybody and their brother makes an LCD at 15-19" aimed at the kitchen user. Sony, Sharp, Magnavox, you name it.

Your right. If I simply ignore my size constraints, buy the wrong aspect ratio display for the material I watch, not care about image resolution, and no longer insist on component video inputs I need for my HD video distribution system I should have lots of options.

Quote:


You can't deal with a 1 inch black bar?

No.

Quote:


If you can't fit a 19" in there, that is one small area.

Yes.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #13 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then you have no options, it's really that simple. If you aren't willing to give up at least one of the features you wanted, it's going to be a long wait for a train that won't come.

1) Find that illusive widescreen LCD, forget the whole house feed and install a cable or satellite receiver with HDMI and hide it in a cabinet. I assume you are running component, audio, and your sensor right now to that area, so surely you could get coax in there if you wanted to have the receiver nearby. I assume also that you have or were planning to have a home theater remote programmed for that area, so you could just add the new receiver to that.


2) Look for a component to HDMI device such as this:
http://www.svideo.com/ypbpr2hdmi.html

Again you still have to find that elusive widescreen LCD at 15" or under.


3) Stop being so picky about the format. A 15" 4:3 model will still give you a larger Letterboxed Image than the smaller widescreen LCD's that you were looking at.

If the very small black bars bother you that much, look for the blackest model that you can find so they are less noticable.
googleme7 is offline  
post #14 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Member
 
LordOfAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LordOfAll is offline  
post #15 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
LordOfAll, that looks pretty close, I'll check it out, thanks. It's 1.6 aspect ratio is certainly closer to 1.78 than a 1.33 set. As long as it doesn't elongate the image and will allows for thin black bars across the top and bottom for the correct shape of HDTV I think I could possibly live with it but another guy earlier said he didn't like the 15" units he had tried. (although they were other brands)

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #16 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

LordOfAll, that looks pretty close, I'll check it out, thanks. It's 1.6 aspect ratio is certainly closer to 1.78 than a 1.33 set. As long as it doesn't elongate the image and will allows for thin black bars across the top and bottom for the correct shape of HDTV I think I could possibly live with it but another guy earlier said he didn't like the 15" units he had tried. (although they were other brands)


The 400:1 contrast ratio and 16ms response time is right up your alley too
googleme7 is offline  
post #17 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ʇuoɯɹ
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfAll View Post

This work

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&cm_keycode=67

i mentioned that one several posts back but i guess 'someone' missed it.
geez, it even has component inputs.

edit-it used to be a 16x9 but they've changed it to 16x10.
westgate is offline  
post #18 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

Then you have no options, it's really that simple. If you aren't willing to give up at least one of the features you wanted, it's going to be a long wait for a train that won't come.

A small HDTV monitor with a component video input does seem like an very odd request now doesn't it? If it never comes I'll have to continue to work with my compromises.

Quote:


1) Find that illusive widescreen LCD, forget the whole house feed and install a cable or satellite receiver with HDMI and hide it in a cabinet.

...as well as a D-VHS deck, a Bluray deck, and a DVDR. Did I mention I wanted as few boxes as possible and my kitchen was small?

Quote:


Again you still have to find that elusive widescreen LCD at 15" or under.

Actually I already own one (used in another room); a Xenarc 7" WVGA monitor that I've modified to accept component video 480p/720p/1080i via a Key Digital KD-CTCA3 transcoder box. I was hoping for a just a little larger screen though.

Quote:


3) Stop being so picky about the format. A 15" 4:3 model will still give you a larger Letterboxed Image than the smaller widescreen LCD's that you were looking at.

If the very small black bars bother you that much, look for the blackest model that you can find so they are less noticeable.

A) The added cabinet height may not even fit where I plan on putting it.
B) The resolution is compromised since part of the screen is dedicated to black bars. How often? Always! I never watch any non 16x9 material ever.
C) Buying a 4x3 TV in this day and age is moronic, IMHO. Except for Wii I haven't purchased a 4x3 product in almost a decade.
D) Buying a 4x3 set and only utilizing the center of it's screen seems like an even kludgier, bulkier, and lower quality method than the Key Digital KD-CTCA3/ widescreen computer monitor method I am currently using. No thanks.


Quote:


I assume you are running component, audio, and your sensor right now to that area, so surely you could get coax in there if you wanted to have the receiver nearby.

A coax jack in my kitchen would allow me to watch live TV via a secondary cable box, but 90% of my viewing is other sources or DVR'd material from my main cable DVR box; live TV does very little for me.

Quote:


I assume also that you have or were planning to have a home theater remote programmed for that area, so you could just add the new receiver to that.

My main room's master remote is RF so on the odd chance I'd want it in the kitchen I could bring it with me, but I don't really need it. I don't channel surf in the kitchen, I just don't want to lose contact with what's going on in the main room when I go to fetch a drink. That's my main use for this thing.

See we all have different needs. I need a small HDTV monitor with component in (just like virtually every large HDTV has had since day one in order to make it functional with other units).

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #19 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i mentioned that one several posts back but i guess 'someone' missed it.
geez, it even has component inputs.

edit-it used to be a 16x9 but they've changed it to 16x10.

True enough.

Do you know if they elongate the image vertically to fill the screen (and make people look skinny) when showing HDTV?
The only 16x10 HDTV I've worked with was a high end Mitsubishi 37" which allowed the user to decide this. These cheap units though, hmmm...

[I sort of doubt they'll fit my space either, but I'll have to see.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #20 of 81 Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, for those keeping score:


You want a small LCD screen for your kitchen so that when you go in there to grab a Coke, you don't miss whats playing in the main room, which is mostly recorded material or "other sources" that apparently are too inconvenient to pause while you step out of the room for 5 minutes.

HOWEVER, even though you will only be casually glancing at this monitor as you make a sandwich, you absolutely MUST have a monitor that is widescreen so as to avoid the very, very slight loss of resolution that occurs when displaying widescreen content on a 4:3 tv, that isn't even noticeable on a screen the size you are looking at anyway...

Mind boggling stuff. Though I would wager if we knew what "other sources" meant, it would shed some light on what you are really up to, but I don't even wanna know
googleme7 is offline  
post #21 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I've had a 23" Sony LCD on my kitchen counter for 3.5 years and it's perfect having replaced a 13" CRT within the same space. I guess if you live in a smallish apt or something it may overwhelm things but the 23" is almost perfect as I'd go bigger yet next time - I live in a luxury Condo and the kitchen is pretty big but it's fantastic having that TV available throughout the day and at a size where you can actually make out what's on the screen.

Also, that 23" serves as my multi-purpose panel also if I'm in between TV's upgrading and waiting for the new one it's so lightweight that I can plug and play it in other rooms if needed but I'd never go smaller than 23" in my kitchen just as I would not go smaller than 57" in my HT Room. My Sony has performed flawlessly for 3.5 years and bought when it cost as much as a 46" today.

Googleme7 - Do you realize that the Kitchen is the social mingling place of most homes - people often spend hours not minutes in the kitchen that actually cook or have friends over. The Kitchen is the Hub of the Home as HGTV will confirm for you. Before going to work I'm viewing CNBC as I make coffee and prepare for workday and after working all day I have my dinner while I watch Cramerica CNBC shout and scream on Mad Money and the wife cooks while having her dead people channel on AMC - call it work noise or she watches the Travel Channel or HGTV while cooking. Of course I don't use it for the home theater but casual viewing while working or having a sandwich is great. I could see your point if it were in the John while we go toot and do our duty temporarily but this is the Hub of most peoples homes and it's our money to choose how we spend it - it's not your money we're throwing away.

However, even if we choose to view while tooting in the Head or shaving there's nothing wrong with that either as I can even recall viewing new home commmunities while visiting Palm Springs, Vegas and Naples Florida many had built in TV viewing in all bathroom mirrors where they have about a ten inch viewing area while at the sink and that was 3-5 years ago - don't ask me how they did it but it was kind of neat.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is online now  
post #22 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

So, for those keeping score:

Actually, I don't think anyone else in this thread is "keeping score" but you. This isn't a competition. Gladly, everyone else in the thread has contributed possible solutions for my needs by suggesting model numbers and links as opposed to denigrating my stated desires as you have. If you don't think anyone in their right mind should want a small HDTV with component inputs or use a display with the same aspect ratio as the material they exclusively watch, that's fine, but I think you fail to understand that different people may have different requirements than you.

Quote:


You want a small LCD screen for your kitchen so that when you go in there to grab a Coke, you don't miss whats playing in the main room, which is mostly recorded material or "other sources"...

By "other sources" I meant video sources that aren't from the main cable box DVR: Bluray, D-VHS, and DVD.

Quote:


...that apparently are too inconvenient to pause while you step out of the room for 5 minutes.

Friends and family watching the movie with me would be inconvenienced if the movie has to be paused each time one person goes off to grab a drink, make a sandwich, etc., but if the movie is simultaneously displayed in the kitchen as well, there's no need to pause.

Quote:


HOWEVER, even though you will only be casually glancing at this monitor as you make a sandwich, you absolutely MUST have a monitor that is widescreen so as to avoid the very, very slight loss of resolution that occurs when displaying widescreen content on a 4:3 tv

From how you seem to think of it, I should be satisfied with a $29 B&W, portable TV from a hardware store. Lucky for me I'm in a position such that I can afford a TV that is: color, flat, small, the correct aspect ratio, and high resolution.

Quote:


The 400:1 contrast ratio and 16ms response time is right up your alley too

Your product bashing of other peoples' attempts to give possible helpful solutions is childish, but I won't be surprised if we see you continue to do more of the same.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #23 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Googleme7 - Do you realize that the Kitchen is the social mingling place of most homes - people often spend hours not minutes in the kitchen that actually cook or have friends over. The Kitchen is the Hub of the Home as HGTV will confirm for you. Before going to work I'm viewing CNBC as I make coffee and prepare for workday and after working all day I have my dinner while I watch Cramerica CNBC shout and scream on Mad Money and the wife cooks while having her dead people channel on AMC - call it work noise or she watches the Travel Channel or HGTV while cooking. Of course I don't use it for the home theater but casual viewing while working or having a sandwich is great. I could see your point if it were in the John while we go toot and do our duty temporarily but this is the Hub of most peoples homes and it's our money to choose how we spend it - it's not your money we're throwing away.

However, even if we choose to view while tooting in the Head or shaving there's nothing wrong with that either as I can even recall viewing new home commmunities while visiting Palm Springs, Vegas and Naples Florida many had built in TV viewing in all bathroom mirrors where they have about a ten inch viewing area while at the sink and that was 3-5 years ago - don't ask me how they did it but it was kind of neat.


Dude, I agree, but this is apparently a totally different need for this guy. In your case, you are actually watching different programs in the kitchen and spending a lot of time in there as well as other people. You replaced a 13" with a 23" so I am going to assume that if you could have only fit a certain size tv in there, you would have a tv, period. If all you could fit in that space is a 4:3, you would deal with it.

This guy absolutely refuses to have a tv that isn't widescreen for fear of a resolution drop (at 15" or below), yet says he only wants the tv in there so that he doesn't lose contact when he goes in there to get a drink. He doesn't channel surf, he won't even have a remote in there.

Myself and some others have tried to help him, but he refuses to consider our suggestions for reasons that make no logical sense. His original question, "Why have kitchen sized tv's vanished?" Did they ever even make a 15" or below LCD TV that fit his standards? (widescreen, at least 480p, component video)??? Was that like a common model that they recently stopped making? I must have missed that one.

All he needs is a Flat Panel with component video that will fit in his space. What he wants is something that probably doesn't exist.
googleme7 is offline  
post #24 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I've had a 23" Sony LCD on my kitchen counter for 3.5 years and it's perfect

I remember that 23" set. It was quite nice. I think there was a 17" version as well, IIRC. Yet two more examples that Sony has decided no longer should exist. [They only make TVs 26" or larger these days, I believe].

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #25 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

This guy absolutely refuses to have a tv that isn't widescreen for fear of a resolution drop (at 15" or below).

You must have missed the three other reasons I gave:
Quote:


A) The added cabinet height may not even fit where I plan on putting it...

C) Buying a 4x3 TV in this day and age is moronic, IMHO. Except for Wii I haven't purchased a 4x3 product in almost a decade.
D) Buying a 4x3 set and only utilizing the center of it's screen seems like an even kludgier, bulkier, and lower quality method than the Key Digital KD-CTCA3/ widescreen computer monitor method I am currently using. No thanks.


In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #26 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Actually, I don't think anyone else in this thread is "keeping score" but you. This isn't a competition. Gladly, everyone else in the thread has contributed possible solutions for my needs by suggesting model numbers and links as opposed to denigrating my stated desires as you have. If you don't think anyone in their right mind should want a small HDTV with component inputs or use a display with the same aspect ratio as the material they exclusively watch, that's fine, but I think you fail to understand that different people may have different requirements than you.


By "other sources" I meant video sources that aren't from the main cable box DVR: Bluray, D-VHS, and DVD.


Friends and family watching the movie with me would be inconvenienced if the movie has to be paused each time one person goes off to grab a drink, make a sandwich, etc., but if the movie is simultaneously displayed in the kitchen as well, there's no need to pause.



From how you seem to think of it, I should be satisfied with a $29 B&W, portable TV from a hardware store. Lucky for me I'm in a position such that I can afford a TV that is: color, flat, small, the correct aspect ratio, and high resolution.



Your product bashing of other peoples' attempts to give possible helpful solutions is childish, but I won't be surprised if we see you continue to do more of the same.



Well, I apologize if I come off sounding like an ass, but you must at least admit that your standards are higher than 99.9% of the population. You would have already found what you needed had they not be.

I never said that it was too much to ask for a small tv with component video. They make those. A Small TV is 19" widescreen. Below that, you are talking very small TV. I only poked fun at the Polaroid, because you made such a huge deal over picture quality. You say you wouldn't be satisfied with a 4:3 even though you wouldn't notice the resolution loss, so now you are going to be satisfied with a grey tv?

I actually think what you want to do is pretty cool, so as not to disrupt the movie for everyone else, but again morbid curiosity makes me have to ask,

WHY DOES IT MATTER IF THAT TV IS WIDESCREEN IF IT DOES WHAT YOU NEED IT TO DO?
googleme7 is offline  
post #27 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I remember that 23" set. It was quite nice. I think there was a 17" version as well, IIRC. Yet two more examples that Sony has decided no longer should exist. [They only make TVs 26" or larger these days, I believe].


They are coming out with the KDL-19M4000 shortly, aimed at the kitchen user. I know it won't work for you, but I just thought I would mention it. (unless you have a bar or table you could sit it on.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665401954
googleme7 is offline  
post #28 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

WHY DOES IT MATTER IF THAT TV IS WIDESCREEN IF IT DOES WHAT YOU NEED IT TO DO?

It's not just about functionality. See post #25.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
post #29 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
googleme7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

It's not just about functionality. See post #25.

Yes, I did read your post, and your reasons were just more nitpicking than need, except for the size requirements.

It doesn't seem moronic to purchase a 4:3 product IF that is your best and ONLY option. Yes, you are using a modified touch screen LCD, but it's only 7" and you wanted something bigger and even with 4:3 letterbox, you are doubling your screen area, you might find this website useful:

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi


And yes, it might not fit, but I don't remember you ever giving out any dimensions for the area either.
googleme7 is offline  
post #30 of 81 Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

His original question, "Why have kitchen sized tv's vanished?" Did they ever even make a 15" or below LCD TV that fit his standards?

Just a few years ago, but before Bluray existed, you could walk into a BB, CC, or Tweeter and see 10", 13", and 15" TVs by quality brands like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp etc. True it was hard to fit my needs back then also, but at least the major players made sets of these sizes. They no longer seem to, at least they're not shown in the stores that I frequent. Now all I see are the likes of Coby, Funai, iLo, Audiovox, Panashiba, Toshasonic, and Sumguy Maibraik [OK, a made a few of those up] but the big guys don't even make any offerings in these sizes like they used too. That's what I meant by "vanishing".

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

m. zillch is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off